What are your reservations about Mancini?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

What are your reservations about Mancini?

Postby Original Dub » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:16 pm

Its ok to say what they are BTW - it doesn't make you a bad person... What do you NOT like about him as a manager?

Mine are well documented, but as much as I've asked certain individuals in other threads, they never answer. Its a bit strange, so I thought I'd give the perfect platform.

I'll start:

I feel he shows the top teams too much respect and is scared to go at them.
I feel he plays players out of position
I feel when we need goals or a foothold in games, he brings on players that will have little or no impact
Under him, we've only scored against one team in the top 8

Well, what's yours? And please try and not throw abuse or question fellow blues' support for simply giving constructive criticism.
Original Dub

Re: What are your reservations about Mancini?

Postby gilford » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:25 pm

I feel he holds back to much, I would rather give it our all and lose 4 nil than sit back at 1 nil down!
gilford
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Kun Aguero

Postby ant london » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:25 pm

There are lots of things I like about Roberto Mancini for starters. I'm very happy for him to stay as manager of MCFC irrespective of where we end up

however my reservations are:

- Bafflingly cautious team set-ups against decent opposition and unnecessarily cagey tactics

- Inability to get the best (for far) out of a player like Stephen Ireland who, to my mind and from my memories of Mancini as a player, I would have thought to be right up his street in terms of strengths

- Shitty "nothing" substitutions....either replacing positive players with negative ones or neutral ones with insufficiently dynamic ones

- Not liking the rumbles that come out of the club re his relations with crucial players. Lots may be media BS but there's a lot of smoke and my thinking is there MUST be some fire to have caused it. I don't want the players ruling the roost but successful man management HAS to include curbing the excesses of some players whilst finding a way to harness their strengths and cajole the best out of them. I have no proof but something is a bit smelly about this part of RM's regime
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:28 pm

not trying just to pick at your statements here but..

are you talking about in the prem only ? presume you must be.. if so why

good idea for a thread by the way.. NQDP will be here in a flash

for the record my resers are that we dont appear to attack as much as we feel we should, but he is the manager and like Hughes before him it is up to him to do what he feels is best to get results
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby mr_nool » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:29 pm

ant london wrote:There are lots of things I like about Roberto Mancini for starters. I'm very happy for him to stay as manager of MCFC irrespective of where we end up

however my reservations are:

- Bafflingly cautious team set-ups against decent opposition and unnecessarily cagey tactics

- Inability to get the best (for far) out of a player like Stephen Ireland who, to my mind and from my memories of Mancini as a player, I would have thought to be right up his street in terms of strengths

- Shitty "nothing" substitutions....either replacing positive players with negative ones or neutral ones with insufficiently dynamic ones

- Not liking the rumbles that come out of the club re his relations with crucial players. Lots may be media BS but there's a lot of smoke and my thinking is there MUST be some fire to have caused it. I don't want the players ruling the roost but successful man management HAS to include curbing the excesses of some players whilst finding a way to harness their strengths and cajole the best out of them. I have no proof but something is a bit smelly about this part of RM's regime

I agree with most of what you're saying, but not with the bold part, Ireland was badly out of form during the fall as well. Whatever his slump of form depends on, it's not something you can expect a new manager to come in and fix immediately.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby BobKowalski » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:31 pm

My main reservation is his lack of experience in the Premiership coupled with his lack firsthand knowledge about the players in the squad. Inexperience can lead to making mistakes and a degree of over caution when assessing a situation.

He seemed to get to grips with the players relatively quickly so really its just the lack of Premeriership experience for which the only solution is time. Given the situation time was and is not on Mancini's side but thats the hand he chose to play and has done so with (imo) considerable skill and thankfully without a shedload of excuses.

Whether he can close out the deal remains to be seen. Irrespective of whether he does or doesn't close out the deal I would like to see him in charge for a full season with the proviso that we are aiming for a credible challenge for the PL title with a CL spot as a given.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby HeyMark » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:32 pm

Dinner for two and a show................oh wait about and not with......

. Overly cautious approach, especially against an arsenal team who I felt were there for the taking.

. Only really attacking teams when we go 1 down (for a while this was a problem under hughes as well though)

. Fear of taking the game to teams in and around us.

. Persisting with Vieira
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby ant london » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:36 pm

mr_nool wrote:- Inability to get the best (for far) out of a player like Stephen Ireland who, to my mind and from my memories of Mancini as a player, I would have thought to be right up his street in terms of strengths

I agree with most of what you're saying, but not with the bold part, Ireland was badly out of form during the fall as well. Whatever his slump of form depends on, it's not something you can expect a new manager to come in and fix immediately.

Just to clarify....I'm not blaming Ireland's form on Mancini. He was massively out of sorts all season for me. I (like most) have no idea why Ireland has not happened form-wise this season.

What I meant was that, even a cursory examination of Ireland's youtube of last season shows you a massively talented player and as reigning POTY would tell me..."hang on, this guy must be worth the time and effort to try to recapture his form".

I mean that I would have liked to see/hear about Mancini trying to think/act out of the box to try to help Stevie recover his form. Not just chucking him into the fray (whether as starter or sub) and expecting him to play his way back into form. Sometimes that will work, often it won't.....I am disappointed at the lack of creativity (and this applies equally to previous coaching staff) in trying to work with Stevie to help him help himself
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby ronk » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:38 pm

Some middling results. We're generally solid against top teams without necessarily threatening to win all of them and without that extra gear you sometimes need. We've missed opportunities to put opposition under real pressure. We're up for the top matches and able to take apart weaker teams but our results against mid table solid teams has been far more moderate.

But we seem to be hitting form at the right time and have become better with time. We've a long way to go.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Original Dub » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:47 pm

brite blu sky wrote:not trying just to pick at your statements here but..

are you talking about in the prem only ? presume you must be.. if so why

good idea for a thread by the way.. NQDP will be here in a flash

for the record my resers are that we dont appear to attack as much as we feel we should, but he is the manager and like Hughes before him it is up to him to do what he feels is best to get results

I'm talking about the league mate, anything can happen in cups... as we've seen both ways.

The reason for league only - its all about points and obtaining that fourth spot, which is our (and his) number one priority and target.
Original Dub

Postby Original Dub » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:50 pm

BobKowalski wrote:My main reservation is his lack of experience in the Premiership coupled with his lack firsthand knowledge about the players in the squad. Inexperience can lead to making mistakes and a degree of over caution when assessing a situation.

He seemed to get to grips with the players relatively quickly so really its just the lack of Premeriership experience for which the only solution is time. Given the situation time was and is not on Mancini's side but thats the hand he chose to play and has done so with (imo) considerable skill and thankfully without a shedload of excuses.

Whether he can close out the deal remains to be seen. Irrespective of whether he does or doesn't close out the deal I would like to see him in charge for a full season with the proviso that we are aiming for a credible challenge for the PL title with a CL spot as a given.

So no reservations other than he didn't manage here before?

Nothing you've seen has caused you any reservations? It certainly is a game of interpretation, that is becoming more evident in every passing week.
Original Dub

Postby Slim » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:03 pm

My biggest reservation is that Manchester City fans won't give him the time to get the job done and make snap judgments that on paper look like a balanced view but aren't.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Rag_hater » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:04 pm

I have no reservations about the percieved, by some, lack of threat,entertainment some people see in the style of football we play.I am happy with the results so far and how we have achieved them is of much less importance to me.
My only gripe is, Roberto,to me seems to have poor man magagement skills.
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Wooders » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:00 pm

he should be allowed to build his own squad, or at least build a more balanced ones, hughes's biggest failing in my opinion, was that he didn't put together a balanced squad

However I do worry about persisting with Vieira when he should be used as a sub in games we need to slow down and control, not start with him
I'm also worried that he seems to play for a draw against the bigger teams, hoping they won't score cost us at least a point against UTD, and if Arsenal were playing better would have cost us again
I'm not too worried about the suppossed player exodus, the only player I am worried about losing at the moment is tevez, players like him don't come along every transfer window whereas I see the rest of squad above average at best
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby BobKowalski » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:05 pm

Original Dub wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:My main reservation is his lack of experience in the Premiership coupled with his lack firsthand knowledge about the players in the squad. Inexperience can lead to making mistakes and a degree of over caution when assessing a situation.

Nothing you've seen has caused you any reservations? It certainly is a game of interpretation, that is becoming more evident in every passing week.

You asked for reservations and I gave you my main reservation so whats the problem? Not 'reservation' enough? I've explained enough times what I think of Mancini and the job that he is doing.

You don't like him I get. You think he isn't as good as Hughes I get.

You started a thread asking/looking for the downside of a manager whose has been in situ for 4 months after coming in half way through a season. How about a thread asking what are the positives about Mancini? For starters the fact he is so hands on coaching wise. The fact that he knows how to organise a team.

Change your name to NQD and the manager to Hughes and its last season all over again minus the shite results.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Slim » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:07 pm

BobKowalski wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

You asked for reservations and I gave you my main reservation so whats the problem? Not 'reservation' enough? I've explained enough times what I think of Mancini and the job that he is doing.

You don't like him I get. You think he isn't as good as Hughes I get.

You started a thread asking/looking for the downside of a manager whose has been in situ for 4 months after coming in half way through a season. How about a thread asking what are the positives about Mancini? For starters the fact he is so hands on coaching wise. The fact that he knows how to organise a team.

Change your name to NQD and the manager to Hughes and its last season all over again minus the shite results.

And they start to catch up. Welcome to reality. Next look for mcfc1632's campaign against Hughes criticism whether it exists or not(certainly the lack of it has not slowed his post count down on the subject).
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ruralblue » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:10 pm

Not too keen on the scarf on hot days.

Don't always like the playing of 3 defensive minded midfielders, when playing teams we should go out and attack. Some of his tactical substitutions have had me baffled too.

However I do think he may just be the man to bring good times to Manchester City.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby Kladze » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:27 pm

I find it too early to actually have any reservations, not those that are well thought out at least.

Why?
Because he was brought in, it seems to me, to achieve two different things. One is to get City into the champions league, while the other is to keep us there; challenge for the premier league title, and win a trophy or two.

He needs different tools for the jobs.
He's had to use only the squad he's inherited (plus Vieira) and took the approach that you don't win many games if you keep allowing sloppy goals in at the wrong end - fine by me.

IF he achieves phase one I fully expect him to be allowed to 'buy himself new tools' and then we'll see the true Mancini way. Until then, as I said, I have no reservations .......
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby sandman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:32 pm

I feel that many of the Hughes lovers have simply become Mancini haters simply because they lost out on their beloved.

It amazes me how people can start threads to list reasons to have a cry about the manager that has us aimed at our best finish in decades. Give him a transfer window (rather than an unprepared jan window) and a full season and then we can judge him.

I'll admit we did see some pretty dire football when he first came, but we couldnt defend for shit then, I feel as the squad are adapting to this new way of playing the games are improving gradually.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby simon12 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:48 pm

Original Dub wrote:Its ok to say what they are BTW - it doesn't make you a bad person... What do you NOT like about him as a manager?

Mine are well documented, but as much as I've asked certain individuals in other threads, they never answer. Its a bit strange, so I thought I'd give the perfect platform.

I'll start:

I feel he shows the top teams too much respect and is scared to go at them.
I feel he plays players out of position
I feel when we need goals or a foothold in games, he brings on players that will have little or no impact
Well, what's yours? And please try and not throw abuse or question fellow blues' support for simply giving constructive criticism.

I think these 2 come hand in hand along with 3 DM`s which are my reservations.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum