Toure in great Kompany

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Toure in great Kompany

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:15 pm

City skipper Kolo Toure believes his partnership with Vincent Kompany is improving each game.

Toure says the defensive display at Arsenal last Saturday is a further example of how the Blues have tightened up as a unit in recent months.

With just three goals conceded in the last five games, City became only the second club this season to prevent the Gunners scoring at their own ground and Toure admits his partnership with Kompany is getting better all the time.

“It’s going well,” said Toure, who rarely gave the dangerous Robin van Persie a sniff at goal. “I think we played very well as a team and we were really focused at the Emirates Stadium.

“I enjoyed the game, but I stand by my words that the City supporters still haven’t seen the best of me, though I was reasonably happy with my display.

"We are gelling really well in central defence but whether it’s me and Vincent or Vincent and Joleon Lescott or whoever – whenever we play we work well together and over time we’ll get better and better.

“Playing regularly with a defensive partner means you need to know each other’s game really well so their movement becomes almost second nature to yours and you always know where the other player is.

"Vincent was outstanding at Arsenal and
defensively we restricted one of the
most prolific home attacks to just a
couple of long-range shots"

“We have to repeat that standard of performance in our final three games of the season if we are to have a chance of finishing fourth.

“If you look at Manchester United, Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic have been playing together for two or three years and they know each other like brothers, but that doesn’t happen overnight.

“If we don’t concede a goal, we can’t lose the game and three clean sheets against Aston Villa, Tottenham and West Ham will give us a fantastic chance of taking nine points out of nine – we just need to make sure we score in each of those games, too.”

mcfc.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Toure in great Kompany

Postby Mase » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:27 pm

When's Lescott back?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:49 pm

MaseCTID wrote:When's Lescott back?

Next season
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby shawzy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:53 pm

They are playing pretty well together.......Wonder if Lescott will go to left back next season.
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby Nick » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:08 pm

Have my doubts on toure but i really like that interview, bigs up vince and even talks of vince and lescott at the back. He is right though, it takes time. It took time with dunnie and distin and dunne and toure looked shit hot at the start of the season!
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Crossie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:35 pm

MaseCTID wrote:When's Lescott back?

lol my thoughts exactly
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Grob » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:52 pm

I think Lescott and Vince is the superior partnership on this seasons viewing. Toure is my 3rd choice.

I wouldnt be sad to see Toure leave in the summer. I think Nedum, Richards and Boyata are more than good enough to back up the big 2.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:15 pm

I think Toure's been a bit better recently. Doesn't seem to be as fast as I remembered him at Arsenal but he claims he's been carrying an injury all season so perhaps that's the case & we'll see a sharper player next season.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby HeyMark » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:23 pm

shawzy wrote:They are playing pretty well together.......Wonder if Lescott will go to left back next season.

I've been thinking that myself mate, especially if there is any truth in these rumours about bridge departing
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Green & Blue » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:23 pm

I think Toures problems earlier in the season were fitness related.Hes really improved as the season went on and especially under Mancini i think all the defenders Toure included have looked much more composed and more of a unit now.Even with the variation of defensive pairings we have seen due to injurys since Mancini came in they have all looked decent in their own right.
I like the fact that both himself and Kompany are not just good in the tackle but are both very comfortable on the ball going forward and can pass the ball with confidence.Some of Toures forward runs carrying the ball have been immense hes a typically big strong centre back but he knows how to use a ball when its at his feet.
I really had my doubts about him(im not alone on that im sure) but i think hes grown into the side and is starting to make strides to proving his worth.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Dameerto » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:17 pm

I like Toure a lot, he had a dip in form mid season but seems to be finding it again just when we need it.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Slim » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:18 pm

shawzy wrote:They are playing pretty well together.......Wonder if Lescott will go to left back next season.

I think Toure's position is more under threat with Kompany shuffling across. But Lescott can literally go any of about 6 positions, very very versatile.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Alioune DVToure » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:20 pm

HAHAHA

I brought up this same dogshit headline in the recurring crap puns thread the other week.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Return to The Maine Football forum