Roberto Mancini tells Carlos Tevez to shape up or ship out

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Roberto Mancini tells Carlos Tevez to shape up or ship out

Postby Whassat » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:13 pm

Article from the Guardian;

Roberto Mancini tells Carlos Tevez to shape up or ship out of City

• 'If a top player is not happy then it's better to go'
• Further talks planned at the end of the season

* Daniel Taylor
* guardian.co.uk, Thursday 29 April 2010 22.30 BST

Carlos Tevez brandishes a shin pad after scoring against Wigan. Photograph: Carl Recine/Action Images

Roberto Mancini's uneasy relationship with Carlos Tevez is threatening the player's future at Manchester City after the manager confirmed they had clashed behind the scenes. The Italian said the forward should leave the club if he is unhappy with his coaching methods.

Mancini confirmed he had summoned Tevez to his office to ask for an explanation about the player's recent criticisms of his training regime. The Italian told his leading scorer he would not tolerate any more of this, regardless of the fact that Tevez has scored 28 goals this season and is the overwhelming choice to be named City's player of the year. The two men shook hands at the end of a largely one-sided conversation and agreed to focus on City's remaining three games of the season, but stories have emerged this week of the Argentinian considering his future.

Asked if he thought Tevez might be unhappy, Mancini replied: "I don't know. Tevez has four years left on his contract. But I don't know. If he's not happy, it would be better [for him] to change squads. If a top player is not happy to stay here then it's better [for him] to go to another team."

Tevez upset Mancini by complaining about the manager's habit of arranging double training sessions. Mancini does this every Tuesday if there is no midweek game, and Tevez said: "The players are not happy with this. We are at the end of a long season, we have big matches, we are tired, but there are still double training sessions, morning and afternoon. Then, the next day, we train for two hours. I do not understand."

This was in an interview in the Daily Mail in the week preceding the Manchester derby, when Tevez had been specifically asked not to speak to the media. He went on to say he was "OK" with Mancini but the former Internazionale coach felt his authority had been undermined by a player he has repeatedly talked up as being one of the best in the world.

At the time Mancini said he did not want to take issue with the former United striker before such an important game. The timing is still bad from a City perspective, with important games coming up against Aston Villa and Tottenham Hotspur in the next few days, but Mancini was willing to explain his irritation as he shaped up for the most critical phase of City's season.

Mancini said today: "I've spoken to Tevez. What we said was private but I did remind him that there had been only one time when he had to train twice in a day [since Mancini was appointed].

"We have trained twice four times in the five months I have been here. On two of those times Carlos was in Argentina and one time he was here but didn't train. So I don't know why [he's unhappy]. When we don't have a midweek game I always train two times on Tuesday because it's the only way I know. By doing this we can improve."

Mancini added: "It's important that when a manager or player works in a team, he must be happy. If he's not, it's not good for the club, for the squad, or for the player. This is not just for Tevez but for all the players; for Tevez, for Manu [Emmanuel Adebayor], for me, for everyone.

"I don't know if Carlos Tevez is unhappy. He must be content, though, because we have to play three important games. For the players it is a crucial moment. They must put everything they have on the pitch."

Tevez, whose English is still limited, did not offer an apology. "When I speak to a player, I don't need an apology," Mancini said. "I've played football, I know players very well and I know these situations. I think he's happy because he's worked very well the last two weeks. I hope Carlos can score three or four goals in the next three games, and afterwards we can decide if he has a problem."
Whassat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City, AIK
My favourite player is: The magician

Re: Roberto Mancini tells Carlos Tevez to shape up or ship out

Postby Whassat » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:15 pm

Maybe this ought to have been posted into the other Mancini critizes Tevez thread...

viewtopic.php?f=119&t=32123
Whassat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Abu Dhabi » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:21 pm

Fuck, this version is much worse than the other one just posted, although same quotes. Scummy media.
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Postby Dazzacity » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:28 pm

Oh.. double trainin once a week and a 2 hour session the day after..My heart fookin bleeds..
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Green & Blue » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:33 pm

Typical spin put on it by the media, i would expect nothing less from them.I had a feeling they would be writing as much negative crap as they could come up with about city in the build up to these games.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby gillie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:40 pm

I did try to warn everyone it would get worse as we get nearer 4th spot and like i said if we beat Villa this article will seem like nothing in comparison to what we will get before the Spuds game.Dont believe what you read is all i will say.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:43 pm

Fuck Tevez lets get Gilardino or Luca Toni.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby avoidconfusion » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:47 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:Fuck Tevez lets get Gilardino or Luca Toni.

LOL
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby shawzy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:48 pm

Direct quotes for a change...Well i hope they have sorted it out..If not ill always back the manager.A player will never have the final say in my eyes.No matter how good he is...Especially over a few extra long trainIng session.WTF?
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby Whassat » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:48 pm

gillie wrote:I did try to warn everyone it would get worse as we get nearer 4th spot and like i said if we beat Villa this article will seem like nothing in comparison to what we will get before the Spuds game.Dont believe what you read is all i will say.

You don't see the spuds or villa getting half the stick we do! And they are definitely in the race for fourth as well.
Whassat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Green & Blue » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:51 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:Fuck Tevez lets get Gilardino or Luca Toni.

I hear Christian Vieri might be available at the right price
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby gillie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:01 pm

Whassat wrote:
gillie wrote:I did try to warn everyone it would get worse as we get nearer 4th spot and like i said if we beat Villa this article will seem like nothing in comparison to what we will get before the Spuds game.Dont believe what you read is all i will say.

You don't see the spuds or villa getting half the stick we do! And they are definitely in the race for fourth as well.

No coz they cannot and will not braek the fuckin cartel up but we will and thats why the top 4 or is it 3 now press operate along with Sky they are sychophantic bastards and dont like anyone threatening their cozy existence.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby bluej » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:25 am

The Italian said the forward should leave the club if he is unhappy with his coaching methods.

Mancini confirmed he had summoned Tevez to his office to ask for an explanation about the player's recent criticisms of his training regime

I'd like to see where they got these quotes/ideas from seeing as they have failed to back them up afterwards, deciding instead to rehash quotes from a previous interview with Tevez (and acknowledging his limited English)
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:34 am

It's always suspicous when they tell u what was said in a closed door meeting.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:51 am

Dazzacity wrote:Oh.. double trainin once a week and a 2 hour session the day after..My heart fookin bleeds..

exactly what I said earlier when these rumours surfaced. So maybe once a month they have to postpone fucking PS3 session for bit of extra work that is basically there to improve them. How outrageous. I put extra hours on weekly basis on my work and tevez earns in a week what I earn in three years.

Tevez is super top player no question about it and it'd be really bummed to see him go but it's a team game and for better or for worse there's only one man in football club who makes these decisions.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Slim » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:57 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Dazzacity wrote:Oh.. double trainin once a week and a 2 hour session the day after..My heart fookin bleeds..

exactly what I said earlier when these rumours surfaced. So maybe once a month they have to postpone fucking PS3 session for bit of extra work that is basically there to improve them. How outrageous. I put extra hours on weekly basis on my work and tevez earns in a week what I earn in three years.

Tevez is super top player no question about it and it'd be really bummed to see him go but it's a team game and for better or for worse there's only one man in football club who makes these decisions.

Don't you find it the least bid odd that the most team orientated player on the pitch is apparently the most selfish player off it? Something isn't quite right here.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby mcfc1632 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:03 am

Well if the reports are a factual portrayal of what has happened then I think it kills off any Mancini is leaving thoughts - these are not the actions / words of a man who is not going to be here next year
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Fish111 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:04 am

My thoughts exactly. Fuckin mard-arse players do my head in. IF the story is true i will say exactly the same as for any other player who moans and fuckin whinges about the 'hardship' they are putting up with with 2 hour training sessions a day. NO player is bigger than the club, no matter their ability or stature amongst the fans. If you don't like it, fuck off. I'm with Mancini all the way on this one. Player power my arse. The manager & club shouldn't bend over backwards to accomodate some slapped-arse ego. Who can afford to buy him anyway? 4 year contract remember Tevez, knuckle down and get on with it.
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:25 am

Any player who causes shit at the club can fuck off imo but Tevez did the interview 2 weeks ago & he made the point that Mancini is the manager & he decides what they do & said he was ok with it . If he's lying & willing to cause trouble he can go.

BUT..

Why the fuck has the manager chosen to dig it all back up in public now, TWO WEEKS LATER? Why has he waited until our most important games of the season to tell the press his thoughts? Why didn't he deal with it earlier if he can't avoid talking to the press? Why is he talking about Tevez leaving when Tevez didn't say any such thing in his interview? Why is he telling the press anything at all? Why couldn't it wait until after the West Ham game? How does it help us? Does it help our enemies, if so, why is he helping them? Do the rest of the players agree with him? Will it effect them? Is he so hopeless at motivating the players & so scared they won't perform that this is the only way he can do it, gambling that it will get a positive response? If he's not doing it to motivate the players then WHY is he doing it? What has Manchester City Football Club gained from their manager bringing this out in public at this time?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Slim » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:29 am

Ted Hughes wrote:Any player who causes shit at the club can fuck off imo but Tevez did the interview 2 weeks ago & he made the point that Mancini is the manager & he decides what they do & said he was ok with it . If he's lying & willing to cause trouble he can go.

BUT..

Why the fuck has the manager chosen to dig it all back up in public now, TWO WEEKS LATER? Why has he waited until our most important games of the season to tell the press his thoughts? Why didn't he deal with it earlier if he can't avoid talking to the press? Why is he talking about Tevez leaving when Tevez didn't say any such thing in his interview? Why is he telling the press anything at all? Why couldn't it wait until after the West Ham game? How does it help us? Does it help our enemies, if so, why is he helping them? Do the rest of the players agree with him? Will it effect them? Is he so hopeless at motivating the players & so scared they won't perform that this is the only way he can do it, gambling that it will get a positive response? If he's not doing it to motivate the players then WHY is he doing it? What has Manchester City Football Club gained from their manager bringing this out in public at this time?

This was in an interview in the Daily Mail in the week preceding the Manchester derby, when Tevez had been specifically asked not to speak to the media. He went on to say he was "OK" with Mancini but the former Internazionale coach felt his authority had been undermined by a player he has repeatedly talked up as being one of the best in the world.

At the time Mancini said he did not want to take issue with the former U***d striker before such an important game. The timing is still bad from a City perspective, with important games coming up against Aston Villa and Tottenham Hotspur in the next few days, but Mancini was willing to explain his irritation as he shaped up for the most critical phase of City's season.

He told him not to speak to the press, he did. He spoke to him privately about it but not in public. He spoke up again about moving if we don't get CL, I think Mancini thought Tevez was taking the piss and decided to address it. If he hadn't, who knows what he'd say next week.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum