Brilliant Ian Holloway article (DM)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Brilliant Ian Holloway article (DM)

Postby Exiled » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:10 am

I'm really made up for how well Blackpool are doing. My dad is now over 70 years old and he's been a fed up supporter of them for many years. I really hope they beat Bristol City this weekend to claim a play off place. Anyway IMO this is a brilliant article and has a great outlook on things which could easily be applied to ourselves. Whatever happens from now on to the end, this season has been a blast.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... g-One.html

Ian Holloway: I go past Blackpool's rollercoaster every single day but, believe me, our next match against Bristol City really is... The Big One!EXCLUSIVE By Chris Wheeler
Last updated at 10:34 PM on 29th April 2010

Every day when Ian Holloway drives to work he can see the main rollercoaster attraction at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. It's called The Big One.
The name and nature of the ride are not lost on a man whose colourful metaphors are something of a trademark. Quite simply, it doesn't get any bigger for Blackpool Football Club than the chance to play in the Barclays Premier League.

Victory over Bristol City - Holloway's hometown team he loves to hate - on Sunday will guarantee a place in the play-offs and a shot at what most people would have considered to be the unthinkable.

It is safe to say that Holloway, who inherited a team more familiar with the bottom half of the Championship table less than a year ago, was not one of them.
'You don't get on a ride and think "I'm going to have to get off",' he says.

'You get on and you should enjoy it all the way no matter what.
'Every day I drive in I see that great big ride which I haven't been brave enough to go on yet, possibly because the first time I drove past it had broken down.
'But if you ask Burnley about the ride they've been on - I know they've broken down now and are off it - but they wouldn't have not wanted to get on it.'

If Holloway wasn't patrolling the touchline at Bloomfield Road, he could easily be appearing on stage down at Blackpool's north pier. He is the great comedian of English football, the man with the legendary one-liners.
The man who conducted his team talk on the floor of a hotel in December using 22 teddy bears he had bought out of his own pocket from a local pub in aid of a children's hospice and introduced the 'arse of the week' award in training at Plymouth by poking a plastic backside through a hole in a pair of shorts.
The man who reacted to two Blackpool players being sent off against Ipswich in January by flinging his hat, scarf and coat towards the opposition full back, claiming he would be cold having nothing more to do, and then admitted missing the opening goal at home to Sheffield United because he had nipped to the loo.

Holloway truly is a one-off. But the 47-year-old from the West Country is not, he insists, a clown.
'All I've tried to do is embrace it in my own quirky way,' he says.

'That doesn't mean I'm not totally serious. If I wasn't you couldn't give me a multi-million pound company and I wouldn't be able to enhance it and make it better, and make the people who support it actually start believing in things.
'Does that make me a clown? I don't think so, but you can think whatever you like - you pay your money, that's your choice.'
Holloway simply has a different perspective on football from his peers. It is perhaps forged from the experience of seeing his childhood sweetheart Kim survive non-Hodgkin lymphoma and having to cope with three of their four children being deaf.
'It's unbelievably rare,' he once said.
'Statistically we had the same chance of winning the lottery five times over.'
Asked once what he could teach his players from his own experience, he replied: 'That winners are made by not fearing. I can sense fear in the eyes of players. I could see it in Kim's eyes when she had cancer. I have dealt with fear all my life. My own fear has been a selfish dread that I might not be good enough.'
The obsessive pursuit of perfection may have waned but Holloway still demands high standards, as Blackpool chairman Karl Oyston found out when he first met him for talks at a Preston hotel a year ago.

The story goes that when Holloway arrived in a suit and tie to find his prospective employer wearing jeans, he threatened to walk out.
The chairman loved his spirit and gave him a one-year deal. Two months later, with little or no money to spend on new players, Holloway's refusal to accept second best again paid off. After showdown talks, Blackpool president Valery Belokon came up with £1.6million and the manager broke the club transfer record by paying Rangers £500,000 for Charlie Adam.
The Scotland midfielder has been hugely influential in the club's success, scoring 17 goals on the back of an attacking 4-3-3 formation. Holloway decided on the change of football philosophy during a year out of the game following his sacking at Leicester as he watched Spanish football on television and covered Roberto Martinez's Swansea City as a radio pundit.
'I watched only Roberto's team five times but they were an inspiration to me', says Holloway. 'I wanted my players to be the same.'
They struggled with it at first. So too the early-morning weight sessions and greater attention to nutrition and diet. Training was briefly moved from Squires Gate where the club have trained since Stanley Matthews and Stan Mortensen were in their pomp in the 1950s.

But since hammering Martinez's Wigan 4-1 in the Carling Cup early in the season, Blackpool have rarely looked back.
Holloway next faces the team he rejected as a boy in favour of rivals Bristol Rovers (he still dislikes red, Bristol City's colours).

The game also comes two years after he experienced his lowest point in management when Leicester were relegated from the Championship on the last day.
'You have to be able to deal with whatever life gives you and take it, embrace it and move on,' he said.

'But if we don't get into the playoffs now, I believe we would have failed.'
For Holloway, and Blackpool, it really is the big one.
Exiled
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Man City

Re: Brilliant Ian Holloway article (DM)

Postby john@staustell » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:23 am

Top man Holloway. Blackpool were in the top flight right through the 50s and up to 1967. Then again in about 1970 for a year, when I remember them from collecting football cards etc!!

I have a soft spot for them, but they did give the world Jimmy Armfield, a complete cock on Radio 5.

And is their ground eligible to play in the PL? It's pretty dire and only had 3 sides last time I looked.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Esky » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:34 am

3 Forest 45 18 2 3 45 13 4 10 8 18 25 25 78
4 Cardiff 45 12 6 5 37 20 10 4 8 36 32 21 76
5 Leicester 45 12 6 4 38 18 8 7 8 21 27 14 73
6 Blackpool 45 13 5 4 45 21 6 7 10 28 36 16 69
7 Swansea 45 10 9 3 21 12 7 8 8 19 25 3 68

Interesting that the squad he modeled his team around are the one he's in direct competition with. Also thrilled that the playoffs will yield another team who've not been in the top flight for a long time, regardless of who wins it. I know Newcastle and West Brom are already up but it'd be dire if a Boro or a Sheffield United were right behind them.

The biggest game of the season in the Championship is this one though:

21 Crystal Palace 45 8 5 10 24 27 6 11 5 24 24 -3 48
22 Sheff Wed 45 8 5 9 28 29 3 8 12 19 38 -20 46

Wednesday are at home to Palace; winner stays up, loser is relegated. Would love to be in the stands for that one.
Esky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Blue Ship

Postby Beeks » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:47 am

Who gives a fuck about Blackpool?
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby lets all have a disco » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:57 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Who gives a fuck about Blackpool?

Not me,but it would be a good away day.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Goaters 103 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:22 am

The game needs people like Ian Holloway. Good people who genuinely love it and are able to have a laugh along the way too and see it for what it is - a privilige.

Purely for Mr Holloway I'd like to see them make the play-offs, and once you are in those anything can happen.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby john@staustell » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:32 am

lets all have a disco wrote:

I reckon we'd get an allocation of about 150!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby lets all have a disco » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:33 am

john@staustell wrote:
lets all have a disco wrote:

I reckon we'd get an allocation of about 150!

Fook the football.

;-)
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby btajim » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:47 pm

Esky wrote:The biggest game of the season in the Championship is this one though:

Wednesday are at home to Palace; winner stays up, loser is relegated. Would love to be in the stands for that one.

All Palace need to do is grind out a 0-0 and they're fine. Losing that Match could bankrupt them.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Goaters 103 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:57 pm

btajim wrote:
Esky wrote:The biggest game of the season in the Championship is this one though:

All Palace need to do is grind out a 0-0 and they're fine. Losing that Match could bankrupt them.

I think theyve already done the bankruptcy thing.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Blue in North London » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:22 pm

john@staustell wrote:
I have a soft spot for them, but they did give the world Jimmy Armfield, a complete cock on Radio 5.

What's wrong with Jimmy Armfield? He's up there with the likes of Bobby Robson as one of the most liked people in football.

Now Alan Green....
Blue in North London
Superman's Underpants

Postby dazby » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:38 pm

The big one was easily the best ride I've ever been on. If not for the thrill of the ride but the view as well. Top stuff.

Hope Blackpool do go up as it would be a top away day.

Did I tell you all that the day Andie and I went there we saw all of these guys on stag do's with matching Tshirts saying things like "Gazza's Stag Do - Malaga", and Benidorm and all these places that people were unable to go to due to the Iceland volcano. hehe.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:43 pm

Blue in North London wrote:
john@staustell wrote:

What's wrong with Jimmy Armfield? He's up there with the likes of Bobby Robson as one of the most liked people in football.

Now Alan Green....

Agree, Jimmy Armfield is a top top bloke -wish we had a right back like him. He's been battling cancer recently and seems to have won. I read his autobiography once - born in Denton - must be alright!
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Abu Dhabi » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:45 pm

Ah, fuck it.

When I log on I browse through the topics and open the ones I want to read in new tabs. I usually keep the interesting ones at the end of the queue. I seriously thought its a refreshing article about us from the media. Are you telling me I was building false hopes all the time through that queue?

anyway good luck and its nice to hope this for your father.
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:07 pm

I've always liked Blackpool. They'll be my "second team" next season if they make it up.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Return to The Maine Football forum