MEN - Overall 2009-10 Player Ratings

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

MEN - Overall 2009-10 Player Ratings

Postby ant london » Mon May 17, 2010 8:22 am

True to form for the MEN I should imagine that there is nothing remotely scientific about this (ie they wont have collated any ACTUAL ratings they gave players...as evidenced by Robinho's score) but I don't think these are too far off the mark...

Thoughts? Your own ratings?

STAR MAN: Carlos Tevez

A critical Stuart Brennan takes a measured view of how the Blues came within an ace of joining the European elite with some memorable performances...

SHAY GIVEN: Showed why he has a reputation as a great shot-stopper during a frantic first half to the season, but some questions remain about his command of the area 7

PABLO ZABALETA : Mr Versatile, playing in five different positions, each with extreme commitment. Finished the season very strongly 7

MICAH RICHARDS: Difficult season for him. Some great moments going forward, and three goals, but odd defensive lapses 6

NEDUM ONUOHA: Bad luck has dogged him, with injuries at inopportune moments, and never got the chance to show his talent 6

KOLO TOURE: Began the season with vitality, pace and determination, but looked distracted and sometimes dodgy in last three months of the season 6

VINCENT KOMPANY: Missed first three months after a toe op, but then established himself as the best defender at the club with composed, dominant displays 8

DEDRYCK BOYATA: Voted young player of the year after being thrown into the thrilling Carling Cup derbies against United - and emerging with great credit and promise 6

JOLEON LESCOTT: Looked uncertain and uneasy at first, but was starting to look like an international defender when two injuries interrupted his season 7

WAYNE BRIDGE: His season was overshadowed by off-field personal problems, and it appeared to affect his form badly. Struggled in important climax to the season 6

SYLVINHO: Brilliant attitude, and others could learn from his professionalism. Appearances limited, but scored a stunning goal in Cup at Scunthorpe 6

JAVIER GARRIDO: Was heading for the exit door until Mancini became manager, and briefly revitalised his career. But the club has left him behind a little 5

NIGEL DE JONG: Has become a cult figure among fans for his uncompromising attitude and ferocious tackling. Could improve passing and shooting 7

PATRICK VIEIRA: Injury disrupted his half-season at City, and it was hard to tell whether his rustiness was down to age or lack of match-practice 5

GARETH BARRY: Began the season superbly, a strong presence who keeps the midfield ticking smoothly, but was later inhibited by a groin problem 7

SHAUN WRIGHT-PHILLIPS: Frustrating season for the popular winger. Some brilliant moments, and sometimes failed to rise to the challenge in big matches 6

ADAM JOHNSON: One of the success stories, a left winger who put in some tremendous displays on the right, and netted the goal of the season at Sunderland 7

STEVIE IRELAND: Another erstwhile hero who found it tough to adapt to new systems of play under Hughes and then Mancini 6

MARTIN PETROV: Angry and frustrated under Hughes, he briefly blossomed under Mancini before injury ended his season 5

CRAIG BELLAMY: Brilliant in the first derby, and a torment to full-backs all season, as well as getting 11 goals 8

ROBINHO: Broken ankle interrupted early part of the season, but he failed to show the commitment or the work-rate which great players have 4

EMMANUEL ADEBAYOR: Began the season with a scoring blitz, but then ran into problems with discipline, injury and terrorists - but still bagged 14 goals 7

CARLOS TEVEZ: The superlatives have all been used, but Tev carried City at times, scoring 29 times, working ceaselessly and always at the front of the battle 9

ROQUE SANTA CRUZ: Fears that his history of injury problems may haunt the Blues came true. Didn't play enough to show his undoubted ability but will shine next season 5

BENJANI: Stepped in for a cameo display when a striker shortage struck at Christmas, and reminded everyone of his limitations at this level 5
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Re: MEN - Overall 2009-10 Player Ratings

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon May 17, 2010 8:27 am

Pretty accurate. Boyata 6 is quite harsh as I thought he looked excellent. And estimation that RSC will shine next season sounds nothing like wishfull thinking.

Other than that, we were watching the same team.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Vhero » Mon May 17, 2010 8:35 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Pretty accurate. Boyata 6 is quite harsh as I thought he looked excellent. And estimation that RSC will shine next season sounds nothing like wishfull thinking.

Agreed with everything you said mate.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby irblinx » Mon May 17, 2010 9:04 am

I'd have knocked 1 mark off Stevie (the lad must be absolutely gutted with himself after last season) and 1 off Bellamy (brilliant at times but was anonymous for too many games to deserve an 8)
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon May 17, 2010 9:48 am

Svensational wrote:I think they are pretty good but I think that De Jong should be an 8 at least as I thought he had a great season.

For a man who can't pass or shoot, seven really is best you can give.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Slim » Mon May 17, 2010 10:18 am

Not sure how much we can bump Boyata after his limited appearances, I think Bellamy-1 , de Jong+1 and Robinho-4.

Apart from that it's pretty damn accurate.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mike J » Mon May 17, 2010 10:19 am

for the impact he has had in such a short space of time, i would have given johnson an 8.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon May 17, 2010 10:26 am

Its a fair assessment, and the exciting thing is that there seems to be a consensus of opinion we had a squad full of players who on the whole didnt perform to anywhere near their best, yet we still comfortably finished 5th.

If the underperformance of one or two areas (notably fullback, cm) within the team can be ironed out through good management and incoming players, then it again I see no reason why we shouldnt put a decent title challenge together for next season.

Exciting times
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby ant london » Mon May 17, 2010 10:32 am

johnpb78 wrote:Its a fair assessment, and the exciting thing is that there seems to be a consensus of opinion we had a squad full of players who on the whole didnt perform to anywhere near their best, yet we still comfortably finished 5th.

If the underperformance of one or two areas (notably fullback, cm) within the team can be ironed out through good management and incoming players, then it again I see no reason why we shouldnt put a decent title challenge together for next season.

Exciting times

that was exactly my perspective upon reading that.

A few of the low'ish ratings of 6 (or 7 in some cases) are given to players who DID underperform but who could easily perform at a much better level and/or be replaced by new arrivals who could.

To have finished easily 5th and almost 4th in the light of some patchy input in certain areas is actually pretty impressive in the cold light of day and, as you say, is bloody exciting!

Bring on August!
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Dameerto » Mon May 17, 2010 12:05 pm

I pretty much agree with him if a 6 is the benchmark score - but Ireland should have been a 5 and Petrov a 6 (rather than the other way around)
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby btajim » Mon May 17, 2010 12:44 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Pretty accurate. Boyata 6 is quite harsh as I thought he looked excellent. And estimation that RSC will shine next season sounds nothing like wishfull thinking.

He might shine for his new Club next season? I don't think Santa Cruz deserves the same rating as Benjani, though.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Mon May 17, 2010 8:54 pm

Take a point off De Jong & Barry, give one to Given. Other than that pretty spot on.

But of course this is a RAG paper and we can't be agreeing with it so it's all shit.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue May 18, 2010 9:38 am

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:Take a point off De Jong & Barry, give one to Given. Other than that pretty spot on.

But of course this is a RAG paper and we can't be agreeing with it so it's all shit.

I don't think anyone honestly thinks MEN is a rag paper. To be fair, when we were in lower divisions, our coverage remained excellent which was vital for me as foreigner. Also, was it not Jon who said he had once visited MEN office and there were loads of City stuff around and many of them were genuine supporters.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue May 18, 2010 12:47 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:Take a point off De Jong & Barry, give one to Given. Other than that pretty spot on.

I don't think anyone honestly thinks MEN is a rag paper. To be fair, when we were in lower divisions, our coverage remained excellent which was vital for me as foreigner. Also, was it not Jon who said he had once visited MEN office and there were loads of City stuff around and many of them were genuine supporters.

The MUEN was a phrase coined by the clubs of the lower divisions in the 90s, as no matter what their achievements, Oldham, Bolton, Bury, Stockport, who all had a pretty good time with promotions, cup runs etc in the 90s, it was always secondary to United drawing against Swindon or some other mundane game. However havings said that, United WERE winning the double every other year whilst we were imploding.

I have never felt that the MEN was biased towards United, and their coverage in the years since City got back in the PL has been at least equal in terms of column inches to United. In fact for many many years the sports editor was a blue. Where I do feel things have changed though, is that the reporters who often report on city these days are quite often munichs, a move away from the likes of Paul Hince, Chris Bailey et al, and therefore you can often see a munich slant on some of the articles.

Personally I would rather see the news written by a neutral, as nothing is more infuriating than reading a match report on United that looks so far from reality of the game you have just seen on TV that it could only have been written by the likes of Paddy fucking Crerand or some other sycophantic cunt connected with the club and with their tongue up bacon's arse.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Dameerto » Tue May 18, 2010 2:48 pm

All I know is those ratings couild only come from someone who had watched City all season - they pretty much mirror what all of us think.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Tue May 18, 2010 6:03 pm

Sorry chief but there has been hundreds of claims on this very site about the MEN being biased towards United.

I, however, share the same point of view as you. Not that I give a shit about paper bias in the first place.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Florida Blue » Tue May 18, 2010 6:05 pm

They forgot the other keepers:

Fulop- 8
Nielsen -10
Taylor - 1
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Slim » Tue May 18, 2010 6:57 pm

Florida Blue wrote:They forgot the other keepers:

Fulop- 8
Nielsen -10
Taylor - 1

So according to you, Nielsen is our player of the season? I give Carlos a call and get him to drop the award off at Gunner's house.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Florida Blue » Tue May 18, 2010 7:04 pm

Slim wrote:
Florida Blue wrote:They forgot the other keepers:

Fulop- 8
Nielsen -10
Taylor - 1

So according to you, Nielsen is our player of the season? I give Carlos a call and get him to drop the award off at Gunner's house.

Based on time on his time on the pitch and productivity, yes

But you make a good point about that Carlos fella, I give him an 11, so he can keep award.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed May 19, 2010 8:53 am

johnpb78 wrote:

The MUEN was a phrase coined by the clubs of the lower divisions in the 90s, as no matter what their achievements, Oldham, Bolton, Bury, Stockport, who all had a pretty good time with promotions, cup runs etc in the 90s, it was always secondary to U***d drawing against Swindon or some other mundane game. However havings said that, U***d WERE winning the double every other year whilst we were imploding.

I have never felt that the MEN was biased towards U***d, and their coverage in the years since City got back in the PL has been at least equal in terms of column inches to U***d. In fact for many many years the sports editor was a blue. Where I do feel things have changed though, is that the reporters who often report on city these days are quite often munichs, a move away from the likes of Paul Hince, Chris Bailey et al, and therefore you can often see a munich slant on some of the articles.

Personally I would rather see the news written by a neutral, as nothing is more infuriating than reading a match report on U***d that looks so far from reality of the game you have just seen on TV that it could only have been written by the likes of Paddy fucking Crerand or some other sycophantic cunt connected with the club and with their tongue up bacon's arse.

I agree with you but problem is you can never find completely objective person to write about football who would have enough knowledge of the game. There are no such thing as people who don't support one side or another and are genuinely interested about the game. Some hide their allegiances better than others though.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Return to The Maine Football forum