City youth side playing in Javea/Xabia

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

City youth side playing in Javea/Xabia

Postby john@staustell » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:02 am

Apparently there is a tournament in Javea, and although the article neglects to mention it, it could well be today (Saturday). So if anyone is on their jollies or lives round there it might be worth checking this out:

http://www.lasprovincias.es/v/20100605/ ... 00605.html

The 10th International youth football tournament is being played at the municipal stadium in Javea. The line-up is truly first-rate, being present teams from Valencia, Villareal, CD Javea and the English side Manchester City.

The competition will start at 10.30 am with the first encounter between City and Valencia. Once that's finished then Villareal and Javea will play at 12.20.

Once that match is finished the teams have time to rest and eat as the competition doesn't restart until 5pm, with the 3rd place play-off between the 2 losers of the morning games. The grand final is at 6.40 pm between the morning's victors. At the end is the trophy presentation.

A decent turn-out of fans is expected as the level of the teams is first class. Besides the tournament itself there is a great incentive for fans of Javea, as apart from seeing their youth team in action they will be able to see live the keeper of the Spanish team, recent U17 champions of Europe, Adrian Ortola, who will defend the Villareal goal.

Well whoopee doo!

El X Torneo Internacional de fútbol juvenil se juega en el campo municipal de Jávea. El cartel de esta edición es de auténtico lujo ya que están presentes los equipos del Valencia, Villarreal, CD Jávea y el conjunto inglés del Manchester City.
La competición se iniciará a las 10.30 horas con el primer choque entre el Manchester City y el Valencia. Una vez concluya este partido se jugará a las 12.20 horas el Villarreal- Jávea.
Una vez acabado este partido los equipos tienen tiempo para comer y un ligero descanso ya que la competición no se reanuda hasta las 17 horas, con la disputa del partido de consolación, entre los perdedores de los encuentros que se han jugado por la mañana.
La gran final está prevista para las 18.40 horas entre los vencedores de las semifinales. A la conclusión de la misma se procederá a la entrega de trofeos.
Se espera una buena respuesta de aficionados ya que el nivel de los equipos es de primera categoría. Además el torneo va a contar con un gran aliciente para los javienses, ya que aparte de ver en acción a su equipo juvenil van a poder ver en directo al recién subcampeón de Europa con la selección española, Adrián Ortolá, que formara defendiendo la portería del Villarreal
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Re: City youth side playing in Javea/Xabia

Postby Moonchesteri » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:38 am

Isn't this the same tournament we take part in every year?

Must be fun for the young lads to make a trip to sunny spain and face some of the best spanish young players too.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Nige » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:02 am

I was on holiday 10 days ago and watched the City lads lose against Boca juniors on spanish tv. What tournament was that?
lets wish for good days but not forget the bad days
Nige
Superman's Underpants

My favourite player is: Fern 1

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:52 am

john@staustell wrote: apart from seeing their youth team in action they will be able to see live the keeper of the Spanish team, recent U17 champions of Europe, Adrian Ortola, who will defend the Villareal goal.

In spite of the fact they lost the final 2-1 to England.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby brite blu sky » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:27 pm

Found the results on the Javea website

Semi finals
Manchester City 0-3 Valencia CF
CD Javea 0-9 Villarreal CF

3º / 4º place
CD Javea 1-1 Manchester City
Manchester City 4-3 pens

FINAL
Valencia CF v Villarreal CF
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby craigmcfc » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:49 pm

Nige wrote:I was on holiday 10 days ago and watched the City lads lose against Boca juniors on spanish tv. What tournament was that?

This was on the OS a week or so ago -

Scott Sellars was proud of his mix-and-match City youngsters as they battled their way to two defeats in the prestigious Madrid Under-18 Tournament.
The Boy Blues came home early from Spain after a 3-1 opening setback against Getafe was followed by a 2-1 loss against Boca Juniors that left City ruing unfortunate circumstances.

Academy coach Sellars said: "Before we went we had a lot of injury problems. We took a young group including five Under-15s, and it was a real challenge for the players who went.

"We also felt we couldn't take any Under-16s because of GCSEs. So with so many key players missing we never expected to win the tournament as we did out in Abu Dhabi.

"The timing wasn't good, but the boys who played will all benefit from the experience. The lads acquitted themselves very well against Boca, who were more experienced and stronger but we gave them a nailbiter."

City's scorers were Devante Cole against Getafe and Juan Ramon against Boca Juniors.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby bobadji » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:19 pm

craigmcfc wrote:
Nige wrote:I was on holiday 10 days ago and watched the City lads lose against Boca juniors on spanish tv. What tournament was that?

City's scorers were Devante Cole against Getafe and Juan Ramon against Boca Juniors.

almost positive Devante is Andy's kid. Think he's only 15.
bobadji

My favourite player is: Ned

Postby john@staustell » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:48 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
john@staustell wrote: apart from seeing their youth team in action they will be able to see live the keeper of the Spanish team, recent U17 champions of Europe, Adrian Ortola, who will defend the Villareal goal.

In spite of the fact they lost the final 2-1 to England.

Ah silly me. 'Sub-campeon' must mean runner-up then. I thought it was to do with it being young players etc.

Good to see we managed to beat Javea on pens at least!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:59 pm

The OS reports that we took a very weakened squad, due to GCSE's being sat for a lot of the older players, so we had 3 or 4 15yr olds out while Valencia had a majority of 17yr olds out.. but apparently we gave them a good scrap.

Villarreal beat Javea 9-0.. and then lost the final to Valencia 5-4.

i think that all suggests we put up a reasonable fight against Valencia.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby craigmcfc » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:22 pm

bobadji wrote:
craigmcfc wrote:

almost positive Devante is Andy's kid. Think he's only 15.

You're right, he's definitely his son
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Return to The Maine Football forum