Ken Barnes RIP

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Ken Barnes RIP

Postby Mohammed Atta » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:41 pm

Rest in peace.
Mohammed
Mohammed Atta
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: mcfc
My favourite player is: silva

Postby steveo_88 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:53 pm

R.I.P. Goodbye Ken.
South Stand Blue

steveo_88
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Jesus Navas
My favourite player is: Eyal Berkovic

Postby crossan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:44 pm

Isn't it nice to see such a glowing tribute to him on the offy site.
I am City til I die,
I am City til I die,
I know I am,I'm sure I am,
I am City til I die.
crossan
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City.
My favourite player is: Johnny Crossan.

Postby Citizen of Oslo » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:03 am

Very sad news.

Ken Barnes was the president of the Norwegian branch of the supporter's club. He will be sadly missed. In particular I remember one time I visited Manchester to watch a home game against Mansfield when we were at the 3. level in spring '99. I spoke with Ken at our former training ground Platt Lane as I regularily did when I visited. He was impressed that I continued to follow City at that level. He invited me in to his "office" at Maine Road on the match day. This was a very "sacred" area. According to Barnes himself, Swales was never allowed, it was only for people who knew their football! There, as he treated me as a personal guest, I was introduced to Colin Bell and Dennis Law among others. He is one of the most generous people I have ever met and it is an honour to have got to know him.
Citizen of Oslo
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby ant london » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:21 am

Ken Barnes: 'heck of a player, heck of a bloke'

by Jimmy Wagg
broadcaster and biographer

Ken Barnes: 1929 - 2010

The contribution made to the Manchester City cause by Ken Barnes was nothing short of immense.

Ken joined the Blues in 1950 and, over a period of more than 50 years, he served the club as player, captain, coach, assistant manager and scout.

Until his recent health problems, Ken was an active, and vocal, member of the ex players association at City.

Those are the bald facts, now let me tell you a bit about the man.

Ken was funny, opinionated, charming, breathtakingly honest and swore like a trooper.

He pumped out more ash and smoke than an Icelandic volcano and he could spot a phoney from a hundred yards. Players and fans adored him, directors, sometimes, loathed him.

He was City's chief scout for two decades, overseeing the development of many young City stars.

City winger David White was one of them. He said Ken never lost the touch that made him such an outstanding player.

"We'd turn up for training, Ken would come trotting out with a fag in his mouth, get in the middle of midfield and embarrass kids probably 40 years younger," he said.

"He was a fantastic player and I'm sure the likes of that team who are still there in the City old boys will be shedding a few tears today, I'm sure."

For Ken, it was all about the game, the people who played it and the people who watched it.

He had rather less time for the people who ran it. Ken had a lot of talents, but amongst the best was his ability to make you feel ten feet tall.

If he believed in you, Ken was an amazing ally and friend.

I don't remember Ken as a player. He left a couple of years before I really started to acquire football memories.

I met him through his son, Peter, and we got on from the start. He asked me to write a book about his time in the game.
"This Simple Game" was published in 2005. When he finished reading it, he said to me, "There's a lot of swearing in it."

I said: "Ken, if we take the swearing out, there will only be the pictures left."

The hours spent with Ken (and his dog Stella) in writing the book, were some of the happiest of my life.

Ken Barnes: heck of a player, heck of a bloke.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Dronny » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:39 am

RIP Ken and condolences to the family.

If I remember rightly Ken was also President of the Junior Blues when I joined them in the early 70's? If anyone cares to confirm or deny my dementia that would be cool.
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby crossan » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:19 pm

crossan wrote:Isn't it nice to see such a glowing tribute to him on the offy site.

In case anyone missed it this post was mean't to be sarcastic!!!!
I am City til I die,
I am City til I die,
I know I am,I'm sure I am,
I am City til I die.
crossan
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City.
My favourite player is: Johnny Crossan.

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum