Europa Attendances

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Europa Attendances

Postby Sister of fu » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:09 am

I will watch us play anyone but that's just my personnel preference. I love watching City and don't care who we play but I'm one of the lucky ones that can afford to go. I can fully understand fans picking and choosing there games when money is tight and fans have children and mortgages to pay for. I like everyone else would love the place to be packed to the rafters but it's never going to happen in the early rounds of cup competitions.

Anyway I had fun last night with John and Lee for company. There was a great Mancityfans.net turn out!!
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:09 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Nickyboy wrote:I was there last night as i joined cup direct scheme. But 15 quid to watch some jokers from romania is outrageous. Should of made it a 5er and sold out.

Is 15 quid really that much though? That's couple of packs of cigarette's or four pints. I don't know how much movies cost in Britain but that's close to price of a movie ticket here.

I understand people work on different financial scales but honestly, in this time and age 15 quid for football ticket sounds very very reasonable to me. Beefy there said that he took his lad and it was 20 quid for the pair of them. I'd say that's cheap. What can you do with 20 quid these days with your kids?

When it comes to money, everyone has there own issues. We had plenty of debate about the price of Season Tickets and some were saying that they will not renew because of a small increase. £15 for a ticket and a fiver for the kids is not a great deal for me, but for some it is an issue, and when you add the cost of travel, food, drinks and the odd programme that cost rises significantly.

So, when people say that it's just £20, then I'd say you are not being real in your estimations.

Like I said, I can understand financial restrictions very well. Hell, I spent long periods of my life as student living on student loans (mostly wasted on Manchester trips mind you) and odd jobs. I've been more than once on a situation when there's week to go 'til I get money and literally don't have penny to my name and empty refrigirator.

My point was though that at 40 odd quids for Liverpool we can fill the ground, yet for 15 quids for European game we can barely get 23k. That's such dramatic drop that it can't only be explained by financial constraints of individual people.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:14 am

Beefymcfc wrote:On telly, playing a shit team, 99% through, projected 2nd team, cold wet Thursday night - I can understand why people didn't turn up.

We only got around 17,000 for the same game 2 seasons ago so this is actually a massive upgrade.

That's fair enough imo. Last night was a game we all knew we'd win (even City!) & nothing to look forward to. If our attendances from now on don't stack up compared to others though, the will be no excuse. Everyone else has the same financial problems not just City fans. I expect decent attendances from now on though.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:24 am

Let's just say there are many reasons why people didn't go and everyone has theirs. Like I said earlier, there were only 17,000 turn up for the Midget game a couple of seasons ago, so we are going in the right direction.

I'm like Fu, I don't want to miss any match but for me personally, I'd got my tickets but didn't go due to a family emergency (missed the Dippers game too (gutted)), but it makes me no less a supporter than those I'd have sat next to in the ground or those who watched it on the box. Priorities must, I'm afraid.

Oh, and fuck Liverpool and Villa, both teams fans knew it was their Cup Final, we on the other hand knew it was a walk in the park and the start of a long and wonderful season.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby craigmcfc » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:31 am

It's not just £15 though is it? There's the price of petrol over, car park, the lads ticket, food and drink, prog. Yes some are optional but all are a normal part of the league games we come to with our season tickets. I'd love to be at every game but the fact of the matter is I can't afford, and neither can a lot of other fans
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:40 am

craigmcfc wrote:It's not just £15 though is it? There's the price of petrol over, car park, the lads ticket, food and drink, prog. Yes some are optional but all are a normal part of the league games we come to with our season tickets. I'd love to be at every game but the fact of the matter is I can't afford, and neither can a lot of other fans

That's fair enough but all other team's fans will have to miss games for the same reasons. If less of our fans turn up for the group games than the likes of Everton or Villa, it's not because they're financially better off, it's because they care more. We'll have to see how it goes. I expect our fans to support the team as well or better than most other clubs & if they don't, they don't deserve what's happened to the club imo.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby craigmcfc » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:52 am

My only thought on that is do we know what the pricing structure was like at Villa and Liverpool for their games. I may be blowing my own argument apart here as I genuinely don't know

Also I don't agree that because I couldn't afford to go, it means I don't care as much as those that were there. Seriously?
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby pinkmoon70 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:01 am

Everton's average gate is about 8 or 9000 less than iurs yet they got nearly 29000 for the League Cup game against huddersfield on Wednesday and i don't think it was any cheaper than ours, Villa's average gate is similar to Everton's yet they got nearly 30000 last night after a6-0 thrashing against Newcastle so we cannot just say it is City fans who only feel the pinch. It has to be said that they appear to want it more, yes a lot of people have financials reasons for not going but why do fans of other clubs get higher attendances for Europa games than us?, 23000 whatever the circumstances was poor and i am just glad Sheik Mansour didn't choose this game to visit as he probably would have felt that maybe just mayeb he had chosen the wrong club to invest in.
pinkmoon70
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:03 am

craigmcfc wrote:My only thought on that is do we know what the pricing structure was like at Villa and Liverpool for their games. I may be blowing my own argument apart here as I genuinely don't know

Also I don't agree that because I couldn't afford to go, it means I don't care as much as those that were there. Seriously?

That's not what I said; I said that there will be just as many Everton or Villa fans who didn't go for exactly the same reasons. They still managed to find other fans who could go & we should be able to find just as many or more as we have more fans than they do. If we price it too highly of course, that would be the club's fault.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby blues-clues » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:06 am

I would have gone last night. Just got back off holiday, skint as can be and after the Liverpool result, I really fancied it last night but why should I be charged more on the day just because it was my first opportunity to get a ticket. The fiasco with the on line ticketing is inexcusable and I just refuse to ring 0870 numbers on my mobile plus paying a booking fee.

On reflection I am rather glad I didn't go. City knew before the match what the attendance would be, they had the opportunity to set the mood for this competition and really entertain the crowd that did turn up so that more would go next time.

I think showing the match on the website is a mistake too. Most of the time it was down, surprise surprise, but the quality when it was going was as good as TV. Great for overseas fans but later in the competition, the choice between going out on a cold dark damp Thursday night or stay at home with a beer becomes more predictable for the less motivated fan.
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby Feed The Goat » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:24 am

blues-clues wrote:I would have gone last night. Just got back off holiday, skint as can be and after the Liverpool result, I really fancied it last night but why should I be charged more on the day just because it was my first opportunity to get a ticket. The fiasco with the on line ticketing is inexcusable and I just refuse to ring 0870 numbers on my mobile plus paying a booking fee.

On reflection I am rather glad I didn't go. City knew before the match what the attendance would be, they had the opportunity to set the mood for this competition and really entertain the crowd that did turn up so that more would go next time.

I think showing the match on the website is a mistake too. Most of the time it was down, surprise surprise, but the quality when it was going was as good as TV. Great for overseas fans but later in the competition, the choice between going out on a cold dark damp Thursday night or stay at home with a beer becomes more predictable for the less motivated fan.

there is a 0161 number i ring off my mobile. I fully understand people not being able to afford the extra games. i took my lad and the tickets were 20 quid however i took him out for dinner and drinks in town so it was more expensive than that.
Mcf.net best app in the land and all the world
Feed The Goat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby blues-clues » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:30 am

Feed The Goat wrote:
blues-clues wrote:I would have gone last night. Just got back off holiday, skint as can be and after the Liverpool result, I really fancied it last night but why should I be charged more on the day just because it was my first opportunity to get a ticket. The fiasco with the on line ticketing is inexcusable and I just refuse to ring 0870 numbers on my mobile plus paying a booking fee.

there is a 0161 number i ring off my mobile. I fully understand people not being able to afford the extra games. i took my lad and the tickets were 20 quid however i took him out for dinner and drinks in town so it was more expensive than that.

Brill - post it on here - everyone should have that!

My point was really that they were charging more on the day, cant really see the logic to that especially when the sales were slow any way. Why do something at the last minute to reduce the chance of more sales?
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby King Kev » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:39 am

ashton287 wrote:doesnt matter we will sell out later on

This happened a couple of years ago, nobody was interested in the first few rounds then the world and his dog wanted to go to the Hamburg game!

I just hope that those who go to the early rounds of the competition get priority for tickets for the later rounds.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:42 am

King Kev wrote:
ashton287 wrote:doesnt matter we will sell out later on

This happened a couple of years ago, nobody was interested in the first few rounds then the world and his dog wanted to go to the Hamburg game!

I just hope that those who go to the early rounds of the competition get priority for tickets for the later rounds.

Dead right.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Moonchesteri » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:09 am

Svensational wrote:I didnt go last night my girlfriend made me babysit :-(

Get a grip of yourself lad! ;o)
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Moonchesteri » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:10 am

I actually expected a crowd even closer to 20k, maybe even below. Poor crowd no matter what you say tho.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby pinkmoon70 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:11 am

As we will have 3 group home games coming up why don't the club offer a 3 game package as a reduced rate i.e 3 games for£40 adult, 3 games for £15 for kids, 100 loyalty points for those that do and preference for later rounds. To me any European opposition is far more interesting than say a League Cup game, didn't we get 36000 against Scunthorpe last season when apart from Hamburg the previous season we didn't get above 25000, what is that all about?
pinkmoon70
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Beeks » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:12 am

I think for the group stages they should whack the price right down...would make a world of difference
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Twobob » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:50 am

Fish111 wrote:This Europa competition doesn't float my boat at all. The opposition has got to be of a certain standard, as it is in the prem week in week out, to get me going. No wonder it is looked on as a bit of a joke cup. Hopefully we will get a couple of decent teams that have dropped out of the CL to whet the appetite a little. If we don't then i probably won't be going until the quarter final stage if we get there.

Sorry, I really dont understand when people are more concerned with the opposition than the home team ... but at least you are honnest

The only things that keep me away from Home matches of any sort (apart from Friendlies) is work (and that's rare as I usually manage to sort that out), badly planned holidays away, illness, death or other 'life events'.

I'm fortunate that I can afford to get to the home games without stretching the bank too much as I don't have any kiddies, plus being a season ticket holder means i've already paid up for Prem matches so the cup games dont feel like too much of an extra cost and I live locally too. There are a lot of genuine people that can't afford it (and if they're not local they would have had to travel to the Liverpool game too which may have been extra cost or time off from work), but then there are some that say they can't afford this but then suddenly they are able to stump up the 35-40 quid each for the quater or semi final (if we get there).
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby john@staustell » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:56 am

So, do Juventus 'float Fish's boat'? That is the question.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum