Europa Attendances

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Europa Attendances

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:51 pm

Liverpool v Trabzonspor = 40,941
Villa v Rapid Vienna = 29,980
City = 23,542

:-( Disappointing.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Re: Europa Attendances

Postby saulman » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:55 pm

I didn't go. Money's tight and I had to shell out extra for my season tickets this season.
With the game on telly, I couldn;t justify the trip.

I expected it'd be around 25K.
Has the world gone mad, ..............or is it me?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby pepsi_dave » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:01 pm

It is a bit, but I'm more confident we'll get much bigger crowds when the group stages start.....

I'll put me hand up though, didn't go tonight, was at a friends wedding reception, and i'm skint as fook, I spent less at the reception than I would have done on the ticket itself, it's the end of the month and I'm skint, plus tottenham cost a bomb!!!!
Derby Day The Scores Were Level
Then The Goat Was Fed By Neville
Silly Boy Should Know For Sure
Feed The Goat and He Will Score
pepsi_dave
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods Own Club
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby ashton287 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:13 pm

doesnt matter we will sell out later on
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Postby ryanmjo » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:20 am

I'd say our match was by far the least in doubt as to the outcome out of those 3.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby john68 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:16 am

I understand that this competition doesn't flick the switches for many City fans but still remain bemused why. For years many of us dreamed about qualifying for Europe (only the CL?) and when we get there, it is ignored.
Tonight, I got to watch some pretty decent football from City in the company of some lovely people. Had a sing song and a chuckle, Great experience all round.
Try it...you may find you like it.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby ronk » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:02 am

john68 wrote:I understand that this competition doesn't flick the switches for many City fans but still remain bemused why. For years many of us dreamed about qualifying for Europe (only the CL?) and when we get there, it is ignored.
Tonight, I got to watch some pretty decent football from City in the company of some lovely people. Had a sing song and a chuckle, Great experience all round.

I don't really know entirely. I guess it would be of interest to look at who the fans who do/don't show up for Europa Cup are and why.

Obvious contributing factors would be:
Weaker selections and quality of the football on show.
Bigger fixtures are always better attended, even league games.
Kickoff times and the fact that fans are less used to attending matches in those windows (probably a bigger factor than we realise as to why clubs with more regular European football get better attendances for midweek European fixtures, it's just a habit).
Travelling fans.
Cost/hassle of getting tickets (season ticket holders have to organise their tickets and if they don't bother, they won't go).
Moving some fans around the stadium.
No internet sales.
Ticket purchasing windows (retain seat August 10-12, but bring a friend for 25% off 17th and 18th)
Increased interest is maybe getting funnelled towards prestige matches.
Advertising.
High total number of matches.
Price (season ticket holders get a substantial discount on ticket prices for league games, paying full whack, despite being a lower full-whack erodes much of this difference. If a South Stand season card was £405 for 19 matches that's £21.30 per game on average. Europa games don't look so cheap now).
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:04 am

john68 wrote:I understand that this competition doesn't flick the switches for many City fans but still remain bemused why. For years many of us dreamed about qualifying for Europe (only the CL?) and when we get there, it is ignored.

it's quite suprising isn't it? I mean all people ever used to talk about was 'breaking into Europe'. I can fully understand the financial side and everything but what suprises me is how much the attendance drops. We are nearly selling out our league games yet can only half fill the ground in European games.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby ant london » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:50 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

it's quite suprising isn't it? I mean all people ever used to talk about was 'breaking into Europe'. I can fully understand the financial side and everything but what suprises me is how much the attendance drops. We are nearly selling out our league games yet can only half fill the ground in European games.

I said this last time....its a disgrace. The last UEFA run was the same.....I loved going but shit support from the best fans in the world.

Same lazy complacent fans who didn't go were precisely the ones bleating when they couldn't get a ticket for Hamburg.

Shameful
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Nickyboy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:57 am

I was there last night as i joined cup direct scheme. But 15 quid to watch some jokers from romania is outrageous. Should of made it a 5er and sold out.
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:20 am

It's because I wasn't there.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Feed The Goat » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:48 am

I went and took my lad at a total cost of about 20 quid. I don't understand why people don't go. There is a guy that sits near me and he moans all the time but moaned more when we failed to qualify for Europe however in the run on Europe the only game he attended was hamburg.
Mcf.net best app in the land and all the world
Feed The Goat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby irblinx » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:25 am

Were it not for the fact that we had crap attendances in the Waffa last time i'd have put it down to the Liverpool game, people who have to travel a long way can probably only afford one early work finish in the same week and also have to factor in the cost of travel on top of the ticket price. It seems like a good argument but looking back to the last European run it just seems like the majority of our fans aren't excited by these early rounds against no mark teams.
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Invisible Man Fan » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:26 am

I've not had a season ticket for the last couple of years as living on your own is quite expensive, so I finally move in with the girlfriend and now we have a baby so I still can't afford to go.

I live and breathe City, Sandman will tell you that, but it comes behind my daughter.

Do children get cheaper or more expensive to run as they get older??
"If we fire our manager after just one bad season - We'll become Chelsea"
"If we think we can fix the problem by buying expensive players - We'll become City"
"If we remember the good times to entertain us during the bad times - We'll become Liverpool"

So, keep calm and do it the United way

"We invest in young players, That is what we are good at — we’re not like other clubs who can spend fortunes on proven goods. We know that Manchester City are going to pay stupid money, pay silly salaries and all that. We can’t do anything about it. We concentrate on what we can do to try to bring players in for the right reasons. We invest in those who will be with the club for a long time, who will create the character of the club, who will create excitement for our fans. We are very proud of that and we are going to continue that way" - Alex Ferguson 14th May 2012
Invisible Man Fan
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: City!!
My favourite player is: Alan

Postby Fish111 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:31 am

This Europa competition doesn't float my boat at all. The opposition has got to be of a certain standard, as it is in the prem week in week out, to get me going. No wonder it is looked on as a bit of a joke cup. Hopefully we will get a couple of decent teams that have dropped out of the CL to whet the appetite a little. If we don't then i probably won't be going until the quarter final stage if we get there.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:41 am

2 things about this particular game in comparison to Liverpool/Villa's games; 1) Liverpool have many more fans than us due to actually winning stuff & were playing a much better side 2) Villa stood a fair chance of being knocked out, again against a better side. We were effectively playing a training game after the 1st leg result.

Now that we're in the group stages I expect we'll be playing against decent sides & I expect our attendances to improve a lot. If our attendances aren't decent compared to others then we can stop telling people what great fans we 'are' & change it to 'were' because the'll be no excuse for it, as everyone else is skint too. If we don't go, we don't care as much as other fans, end of.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Chinners » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:50 am

ashton287 wrote:doesnt matter we will sell out later on

Some would say we 'sold out' a couple of years back ...
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:53 am

Nickyboy wrote:I was there last night as i joined cup direct scheme. But 15 quid to watch some jokers from romania is outrageous. Should of made it a 5er and sold out.

Is 15 quid really that much though? That's couple of packs of cigarette's or four pints. I don't know how much movies cost in Britain but that's close to price of a movie ticket here.

I understand people work on different financial scales but honestly, in this time and age 15 quid for football ticket sounds very very reasonable to me. Beefy there said that he took his lad and it was 20 quid for the pair of them. I'd say that's cheap. What can you do with 20 quid these days with your kids?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:54 am

On telly, playing a shit team, 99% through, projected 2nd team, cold wet Thursday night - I can understand why people didn't turn up.

We only got around 17,000 for the same game 2 seasons ago so this is actually a massive upgrade.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:04 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Nickyboy wrote:I was there last night as i joined cup direct scheme. But 15 quid to watch some jokers from romania is outrageous. Should of made it a 5er and sold out.

Is 15 quid really that much though? That's couple of packs of cigarette's or four pints. I don't know how much movies cost in Britain but that's close to price of a movie ticket here.

I understand people work on different financial scales but honestly, in this time and age 15 quid for football ticket sounds very very reasonable to me. Beefy there said that he took his lad and it was 20 quid for the pair of them. I'd say that's cheap. What can you do with 20 quid these days with your kids?

When it comes to money, everyone has there own issues. We had plenty of debate about the price of Season Tickets and some were saying that they will not renew because of a small increase. £15 for a ticket and a fiver for the kids is not a great deal for me, but for some it is an issue, and when you add the cost of travel, food, drinks and the odd programme that cost rises significantly.

So, when people say that it's just £20, then I'd say you are not being real in your estimations.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum