Title Charge.. yeah right!

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Title Charge.. yeah right!

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:25 pm

On the OS.

I know a lot of us will be reacting to this with, shut the fucl up and talk on the pitch.. and you cant argue with that. But in all honesty our players should be aiming to compete for the title even if as City fans that is almost taboo.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/2010/September/Boyata-sounds-the-title-charge

Dedryck Boyata is keen to reassure Blues fans that City WILL be aiming to land the Barclays Premier League title.

The teenage defender stepped in at right-back to make a big contribution to the 1-0 weekend victory that inflicted a first League defeat of the season on runaway leaders Chelsea.

Just as importantly, City's win cut the defending champions' lead in the table to just four points only hours after Roberto Mancini identified in-form Chelsea as "probable" title winners next May.

Despite the manager's candid assessment of the resources fellow Italian Carlo Ancelotti enjoys, Dedryck has no doubt about the mood at the club when it comes to pursuing a title challenge this winter.

Boyata said: "The target is to win the title and and get into the Champions League. For that we have to stay focused. Last year we got some great results against the big teams. Now we need to do it against the other teams.

"We've not spoken about the manager's comments. He said it because he could see the way Chelsea have played from the beginning of the season. I understand what he said. But he's thinking about winning the title too."

Boyata is still a teenager but has shown no sign of nerves in high-pressure fixtures such as Saturday's and the Carling Cup semi-final derby into which trusting Mancini plunged him last season.

He said: "There is a bit of fear at first, but then you realise it is a chance to show what you can do against the best players. You have to think about what they can do, then come up with a solution to stop them.

"But I get a lot of advice from Vincent Kompany and Kolo Toure. I see them every day in training and they are like big brothers to me. They always give me help and are a great part of my life.

"And the manager has improved my game a lot with the kind of work we do with team shape. We are working hard on defending in training all the time. Hopefully we'll see the same outcome in all the games!"
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Re: Title Charge.. yeah right!

Postby ryanmjo » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:53 pm

Good attitude to have I think. Not to look too far ahead, but say Arsenal get something off of them on the weekend, we could be within 1 or 2 points.

Have to take care of business ourselves of course, and Mancini knows that, some of the players, I'm not so sure.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby john@staustell » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:29 pm

Mancini has stated several times over he is aiming for the title. How on earth can anyone 'aim for 4th place' with our squad? Sure we might get 4th or 3rd, but we are aiming for the title.

Although we have had a couple of dodgy results, both were freaky in their own way and you can see the power starting to form, once the squad get to know each other and get joined by Kolarov and Balotelli.

Personally I think it is unrealistic that the group now formed will only better last season by one place, by one win, to 4th.

With all those crappy draws in a row, and other dodgy results, we were one match away from 4th and the CL last year. To say we are likely to barely improve on that (or be worse), like some punters (and fans) seem to think, is verging on silliness.

So I cant see any controversy in Boyata's musings.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Fish111 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:38 pm

I think it goes without saying that we are competing for the title, whats the point otherwise? Whether we can actually win it i personally doubt because already we have shown against Sunderland & Blackburn that we are inconsistent at the moment. Hopefully as the season goes on that will get ironed out as all the players really start to gel into a consistently powerful team that we saw on Saturday. If it does then we could be really close.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Kladze » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:38 pm

Hate to say it ......... but it's all about 'mentality' now.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:33 pm

Interesting no-one has come out and said that the players should shut up about this.. so i suppose we all agree that we are going for the title. We certainly have the players/squad and that built from the back feel now, so the basics are there. We are improving still also and are still a good way of hitting the heights.

The next few league games, Barcodes, Blackpool and Arsenal at home are going to tell us about the players and team mentality as well as if we are making any headway at the front.

If we are seriously talking title charge, then we can only 'afford' something like another 3 or 4 losses and 4 or 5 draws in the whole of the rest of the season.

That means that each and every game is massive and the 6 inches that Patrick referred to is going to play its part. It is good that we finally seem to be just about up to speed now, competition for starts in the team is right up there, so there are no more excuses now imo.. it is do or die one game at a time, im confident that Newcastle are in for a torrid time for starters.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Slim » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:39 pm

Of course we are, was anyone in any doubt?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:42 pm

Slim wrote:Of course we are, was anyone in any doubt?

Seem to remember a few " well we can forget the title now " comments a few weeks back.. so yeah i think perhaps there were a few doubts... some were even questioning 4th as a realistic aim.

Strangely they seem to have disappeared at the mo!
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Slim » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:50 pm

brite blu sky wrote:

Seem to remember a few " well we can forget the title now " comments a few weeks back.. so yeah i think perhaps there were a few doubts... some were even questioning 4th as a realistic aim.

We have to click as a unit and it hasn't happened yet, when we do we'll be seeing something special and I fully expect a tilt at the title. Chelsea are still favourites as they should be, but if we aren't in the mix come April I would be surprised. (And I think Mancini will be out of job)
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:24 pm

Slim wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:

We have to click as a unit and it hasn't happened yet, when we do we'll be seeing something special and I fully expect a tilt at the title. Chelsea are still favourites as they should be, but if we aren't in the mix come April I would be surprised. (And I think Mancini will be out of job)

Something would have to go badly wrong for that imo. Too many of the players we have now are battling get stuck in types. Even if it takes some time to click up front we are looking very solid and that will carry us along while we have to tough it out to get results. Bobby will be safe while we get results regardless of the football.
Anyway im fully expecting Ade to return v Juve and take the whole game by storm, netting 2 and kick starting his season..
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby brite blu sky » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:21 pm

Terry rekons we have the goods..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/sep/29/john-terry-chelsea-manchester-city

John Terry believes Manchester City are genuine contenders for the Premier League title, although he said the expectation at Chelsea, from the owner Roman Abramovich down, is that the club will win the season's major trophies.

Chelsea saw their perfect start to the league campaign derailed at Eastlands last Saturday, when Carlos Tevez's goal gave City a 1-0 victory. The result not only highlighted that the defending champions were mortal and beatable but it showed that City had the ability to walk tall against the very best.

Terry continues to radiate confidence, though, and after last night's 2-0 Champions League win over Marseille that calmed Chelsea's mini-wobble – they had gone out of the Carling Cup against Newcastle United the previous Wednesday – the captain suggested his team were set fair for Sunday's Stamford Bridge showdown against Arsenal.

"The way that City played against us, they are definitely title contenders," Terry said. "They have certainly got the players to do so and any big side going there is going to find it difficult because they always raise their game. It's against the smaller sides that they have found it difficult.

"Saturday's defeat was one of those things for us. I've seen quite a bit of City and they have not looked great, if I'm honest. But they were excellent against us, it was their best game of the season. They are going to get encouragement from that, from beating the in-form side in the league."

Abramovich oversaw a paring back of his playing staff over the summer, with 10 players moving away, including the established stars Ricardo Carvalho, Michael Ballack, Joe Cole, Deco and Juliano Belletti, and only Yossi Benayoun and Ramires arriving. Terry has made it clear that he feels it was a blow to lose Cole. Yet despite the cuts, the demands have not changed.

"The message is clear from the owner at the start of the season, he wants to win everything," Terry said. "And with the squad we have, he expects to. The Premier League is the biggest test because, along with Spain, we've got the best league in the world. You take a lot of credit from that. But at the same time, the Champions League is a trophy we haven't won and one that we want to win. We also have a manager [Carlo Ancelotti] who has the experience of having won it.

"Arsenal went close to winning the Champions League when they lost in the final to Barcelona and we've had a taste of the final so the experience is there among the London clubs. Hopefully, if it comes round again, we will have that experience to go on."

Terry scored the opening goal against Marseille and Nicolas Anelka added the second before the half-hour, leading Chelsea, in Terry's words, "to take our foot off the gas with Sunday in mind".

"That was a nice luxury," he added. "It was good to get back to winning ways and, hopefully, we can continue that against Arsenal It was important that we had a Champions League game on Tuesday and that we didn't get a whole week to think about the City defeat. Now for Sunday, there isn't really a lot of training. It's the rest and recovery that's important."
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby john68 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:18 pm

I really think it's time some of our fans put the baggage of the past away for good.
City's failures in the past were not an accident, there were reasons that we failed and resons that we failed badly on some occasions.
Those reasons have gone. TYhis is a new regime, new owners, new administration, new players and new management.

All of those are reasons we should expect success and trophies. We had better get used to it and so had the media. We should expect to win and we should be comfortable chatting about it.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Return to The Maine Football forum