AJ out on the town a lot?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: AJ out on the town a lot?

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:13 pm

^ Not the last butt of his career either.

amirite?
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby john@staustell » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:11 am

Kyle wrote:I sometimes wonder if people realize that footballers aren't robots until they turn 35 and retire. They have a life too, let him drink all he wants, if it affects his game, then he plays/sits accordingly.

He is a human people, not a robot.

Depends how far you want to go in the game mate. If he wants to be at the very top, and stay there for a long time, then he can stay off it . If he wants to be just a 'good player' and finish when he's about 30, then he can go out on the lash, simple as.

I'm sure many of us on here have been athletes at some point, at some level. The simple truth is that you can't train as well - assuming you are professional enough to abstain for a day or two before a match - and therefore you will not play as well.

That aside from the club standards issue.

Henry Winter ran a short piece on Monday morning, whilst all this was surfacing elsewhere, merely saying that AJ would do well to follow the advice that Mancini has just given him to get to the very top. Didn't know why he ran that story at the time, but later we did of course.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Mase » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:53 am

People saying 'you can't do that if you want to get to the top' look no further than Maradona. He wasn't too bad at football, was he?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:53 am

It's impossible to completely stop that kind of behaviour but players should know they're close to heading for the exit door & career trouble if they go down that road, otherwise young players will do it, the drinking culture will come back & English football will be back to the 1980's.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:43 am

MaseCTID wrote:People saying 'you can't do that if you want to get to the top' look no further than Maradona. He wasn't too bad at football, was he?

Different era.
Different player.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby john@staustell » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:49 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
MaseCTID wrote:People saying 'you can't do that if you want to get to the top' look no further than Maradona. He wasn't too bad at football, was he?

Different era.
Different player.

Also a classic example of how to fuck up by choosing the bad lifestyle and believing yourself a God. If not he could've played properly for many more years instead of going for forced early retirement!! In truth he was never too mobile later in his career, but still relatively young. Not a good example Mase!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Mase » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:48 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:

Different era.
Different player.

And? If we're doing that we could say because of the advances is fitness equipement now surely the odd tipple won't do any harm?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:03 am

There is nothing wrong with the "odd tipple" etc etc but there is plenty wrong with going out on the lash/getting wasted if you are a professional footballer.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby john@staustell » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:57 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:There is nothing wrong with the "odd tipple" etc etc but there is plenty wrong with going out on the lash/getting wasted if you are a professional footballer.

You're right Doug.

But as a chap who's had long periods of training in my younger days, and long periods of drinking, especially in my youth, and at times combined the 2, whilst at times abstaining for months, it is best to steer clear. 'The odd tipple' of 2 or 3 pints or glasses of wine to someone who doesn't drink much may bugger him up for the next day, whereas it wont touch the sides on a heavy drinker used to 6 to 8 pints every day and a whole lot more at weekends. So another odd tipple buggers up another day's training etc, etc.

Will power, that's what's required, I firmly believe that. However I didn't usually have it for long of course, but then I wasn't paid much to win squash tournaments and football medals!

I dont believe it's too much to expect for the huge salaries these guys are on.
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum