Training Wednesday 29/9

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Training Wednesday 29/9

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:23 pm

I was glad it was an afternoon session today as at least the rain had stopped. As well as the 2 long term injuries there was no MJ or Bridge but good to see Nigel and Milner back out in full training. Bridge actually was out on his own and later did some work with a physio.No doubt 3 days in a row isn't in MJ's rehab schedule just yet.

The biggest group there today was the press. Millions of them, including I presume SKY tv guys as there were one or 2 interviews done whilst they waited for all the players to come out. Not sure who with. And there was another small group inside watching. Looked like a family group who might have won a prize but I just kept peering over the fence:)

After some time knocking the ball around in the circles the next warm up stuff was a hand ball game with only headed goals allowed followed by left foot only , right foot only and a max of 2 and 3 touches. All good fun and maybe mostly for the cameras to show how little they enjoy themselves.Nothing too different from what I see regularly but today it had the added bonus of having Micah and Nigel back so the noise/laughter levels were a tad higher.

Off then to a pass and move game with small nets to score in before Mancini took a team away for some work behind different fencing( it was all in " secret" today) Quite a strong team as well :) After a couple of groups had worked with Mancini it was all back together for a final 11 a side game on a 2/3rds pitch. Competitive as ever but of course without the real tackling. The obvious signs of the competitiveness is shown when they dispute decisions. It might only seem a knock about game between 2 random team selections but many decisions are hotly challenged between the players as well as with the officials.Makes me laugh to watch and listen and await a real disagreement but they just get on with it once the ball gets back into play.

All the players ( 20 I think it was) looked in good nick. I watched Boateng quite closely and was generally quite impressed. Not that it's easy to assess too much when it's not real or on a full pitch etc but just the ease with which he plays and the fact that he does seem to have 2 good feet.One shot on the half volley yesterday with his left foot was superb.

As they finished Mancini got them all together in the centre of the pitch for a few words which he doesnt always do. Jusy a minute or so before going in apart from 6 who stayed for some shooting practice. Nigel,RSC,Tevez,Milner,AJ and Ade.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Wednesday 29/9

Postby Kladze » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:27 pm

Thanks Doug.

Nice to hear that Adebayor is still showing willing.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:32 pm

Kladze wrote:Thanks Doug.

Nice to hear that Adebayor is still showing willing.

Looked special last week when I was away and is still looking good so if he plays tomorrow I would expect a top quality performance and tons of effort.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby lythamblue » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:35 pm

Good stuff again Doug!

Anyway, you can have a few days off soon as they are all going to Abu Dhabi after the Newcastle game, between 4th and 7th October.

By the way, where do you normally view from? I have been there a few days myself lately and often look out from the first floor windows to see if I can see a bloke on some steps peering over a fence somewhere but can never make you out.

If I could see you, I would probably pop over for a little chat.
Relax ... It's only a message board in hyperspace!!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:43 pm

lythamblue wrote:Good stuff again Doug!

Anyway, you can have a few days off soon as they are all going to Abu Dhabi after the Newcastle game, between 4th and 7th October.

By the way, where do you normally view from? I have been there a few days myself lately and often look out from the first floor windows to see if I can see a bloke on some steps peering over a fence somewhere but can never make you out.

Just across the pitches from where you were looking. Today they were on the nearest pitch to the buildings so I was just beyond it but often they are on the furthest pitch away towards where Sale Sharks train.That's the open one where I don't need steps!

If you started walking across pitches to find me they might send out the dogs to haul you down or one of those big white balloon balls like they had in the Prisoner:)
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby sandman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:52 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:or one of those big white balloon balls like they had in the Prisoner:)

Christ thats going back a bit.

Great report today, really appreciated Mr Higginbottom, good to here that Boateng is looking well.
sandman

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:56 pm

Cheers for the report Doug.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby shortagain » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:08 pm

lythamblue wrote:Anyway, you can have a few days off soon as they are all going to Abu Dhabi after the Newcastle game, between 4th and 7th October.

Presume you live near the complex and were not upstairs inside. How cool must that be, being able to see our hero's from your bedroom windows!

Perhaps Doug could become a lodger
shortagain
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Pablo Zabaleta

Postby johnno » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:18 pm

cheer~Doug!
I have a question about MJ
when do you expect him back?
johnno
De Michelis's Pace

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: John Guidetti

Postby lythamblue » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:36 pm

shortagain wrote:
lythamblue wrote:Anyway, you can have a few days off soon as they are all going to Abu Dhabi after the Newcastle game, between 4th and 7th October.

Presume you live near the complex and were not upstairs inside. How cool must that be, being able to see our hero's from your bedroom windows!

Perhaps Doug could become a lodger

No I don't live near the complex ..... but Yes I was upstairs in the complex building itself, looking out across the pitches to see if I could see Doug on his ladder.
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby lythamblue » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:47 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:

Just across the pitches from where you were looking. Today they were on the nearest pitch to the buildings so I was just beyond it but often they are on the furthest pitch away towards where Sale Sharks train.That's the open one where I don't need steps!

If you started walking across pitches to find me they might send out the dogs to haul you down or one of those big white balloon balls like they had in the Prisoner:)

OK, I'm trying to get my bearings now.

From the back of the building, there is a path/roadway (with a sign that always makes me laugh because it says 'caution players crossing') and to the left of that is the big enclosed pitch with green fences, further out there are a few more enclosed pitches with the 'Hill' on the far right hand side. After that there are open fields with trees around them ..... so where are you near any of that lot?

I'm not sure about the dogs and big white balloon balls. Every one I bump into at Carrington has always been polite and courteous, players, coaching staff, admin staff, even the security guys. I just can't imagine any one there getting nasty.

The whole place always just seems so sedate and chilled.
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:10 pm

lythamblue wrote:

From the back of the building, there is a path/roadway (with a sign that always makes me laugh because it says 'caution players crossing') and to the left of that is the big enclosed pitch with green fences, further out there are a few more enclosed pitches with the 'Hill' on the far right hand side. After that there are open fields with trees around them ..... so where are you near any of that lot?

I'm not sure about the dogs and big white balloon balls. Every one I bump into at Carrington has always been polite and courteous, players, coaching staff, admin staff, even the security guys. I just can't imagine any one there getting nasty.

The question is, 'What are you doing there?'.

Cheers again Doug, maybe Lyth' can put a word in for you ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:17 pm

"and to the left of that is the big enclosed pitch with green fences"
That was the pitch they used today. As you would have looked I would have been straight across the half way line of that pitch. The most expesive ladder seats.

The pitch they use more often would be in the line of the goalposts of that pitch .A diagonal from where you are about 250 yards.If you are ever there and they are training just ask Dave ( the little security guy ) where you might find me as he would usually know and most days I have a chat with him anyway.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby bawbag » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
lythamblue wrote:

Lythamblue - I think you've blown your cover and we've sussed out that actually you are Khaldoon ;-)
bawbag
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:44 pm

bawbag wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
lythamblue wrote:

Lythamblue - I think you've blown your cover and we've sussed out that actually you are Khaldoon ;-)

Bloody hell, and there was me thinking he was white-washing the walls ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby lythamblue » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:09 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
bawbag wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:The question is, 'What are you doing there?'.

Bloody hell, and there was me thinking he was white-washing the walls ;-)

You wouldn't find it that interesting Beefy as it has little to do with football. All I can say is that I have been asked in to work on a initiative, driven by Mancini and the coaching staff , which may change how, where and what the players eat.

Anyway, both Khaldoon and the bloke who white-washes the walls (even though they are all blue) would actually get paid for being there. I would only get paid if the project I am working on actually gets approved by the money men.

At the end of the day, I am there for business reasons. However, I must admit ..... over the years I have wasted my time in much less interesting places. At first, off course I was like the proverbial 'kid in a sweet shop', but now I actually try to arrange my visits when the players aren't around the building because it makes what I am doing a bit easier as the people I need to speak to aren't as busy.

Before you ask, no I haven't seen anything scandalous and even if I had, I wouldn't mention it on here. All I can say is that everyone I have met there is very polite and very courteous, even the younger players. They all seem focussed on what they are doing and I have been very surprised as to how 'chilled out' the whole place seems to be.
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby lythamblue » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:25 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:"and to the left of that is the big enclosed pitch with green fences"
That was the pitch they used today. As you would have looked I would have been straight across the half way line of that pitch. The most expesive ladder seats.

The pitch they use more often would be in the line of the goalposts of that pitch .A diagonal from where you are about 250 yards.If you are ever there and they are training just ask Dave ( the little security guy ) where you might find me as he would usually know and most days I have a chat with him anyway.

I think I know where you mean. Is "the big enclosed pitch with green fences" the one where they cross the little roadway as they come out of the building, as they always seem to go straight on to there.

Is 'Dave' the small thin guy with grey hair that is always on the security gate next to the Media Centre? If so, I like him as soon as he sees my car now he just waves me through (although he has always been previously advised that I will be coming). He did have a bit of a panic attack on last Friday when the Press Conference was on in the Media Centre and the Car Park was filling up and half the players hadn't even arrived yet.

He seemed almost embarassed that he had to ask me to park in that little grass section to the left of the gate that is fenced off and is where they normally ask the Press to park. I was laughing at him saying "don't worry about it .... I may be 47 but I can still walk 200 yards or so down the path and into the Reception Area!". He seems like a real character.
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Thai » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:50 pm

Thanks for the report Doug
A Blue Forever
Thai
Lee Bradbury's Price Tag

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Yaya Toure

Postby john@staustell » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:16 am

As they finished Mancini got them all together in the centre of the pitch for a few words which he doesnt always do. Jusy a minute or so before going in apart from 6 who stayed for some shooting practice. Nigel,RSC,Tevez,Milner,AJ and Ade.

Practice makes perfect (they say!)

“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:39 am

lythamblue wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:"and to the left of that is the big enclosed pitch with green fences"

I think I know where you mean. Is "the big enclosed pitch with green fences" the one where they cross the little roadway as they come out of the building, as they always seem to go straight on to there.

Is 'Dave' the small thin guy with grey hair that is always on the security gate next to the Media Centre? If so, I like him as soon as he sees my car now he just waves me through (although he has always been previously advised that I will be coming). He did have a bit of a panic attack on last Friday when the Press Conference was on in the Media Centre and the Car Park was filling up and half the players hadn't even arrived yet.

He seemed almost embarassed that he had to ask me to park in that little grass section to the left of the gate that is fenced off and is where they normally ask the Press to park. I was laughing at him saying "don't worry about it .... I may be 47 but I can still walk 200 yards or so down the path and into the Reception Area!". He seems like a real character.

The guy you referred to isn't Dave but Mike and yes he is a character. He used to be at Maine Road for many a year and has many a story. Dave is smaller than he is and you are more likely to meet him on the front desk.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum