We Had 24 Shots On Goal Today

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: We Had 24 Shots On Goal Today

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:36 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Thing is, we were pretty pathetic going forward on saturday. There's no escaping that fact. Not getting proper playmaker in summer is coming to haunt us with these slow and negative as fuck midfielders running backwards there. As much as it pains to admit it, Mancini has got to carry some blame for that. There were some fucking quality attacking midfielders available, Van der Vaart for example, yet we just bulked the squad with million wingers and second rate fullbacks.

The idea of three holding midfielders and fullbacks going forward is shite. Back to drawing board in january me thinks.

I fucking hope not, what, so we have to start again? We have more than a decent squad and I wouldn't like us to be restarting the plan during a period when you won't get the player you want.

I'm trying to work out if your comments are stalling tactics mate, and hopefully they are. Mancini still has time to sort things out, and I am pretty sure he will unless his pride gets to him. If not, I'm pretty sure he won't get the chance to re-think the strategy in January.

I didn't mean sacking Mancini. I meant he needs to figure out something more attacking.

Very few want him sacked but he has to change his ways between now and Jan otherwise I want him sacked.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Original Dub » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:38 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Thing is, we were pretty pathetic going forward on saturday. There's no escaping that fact. Not getting proper playmaker in summer is coming to haunt us with these slow and negative as fuck midfielders running backwards there. As much as it pains to admit it, Mancini has got to carry some blame for that. There were some fucking quality attacking midfielders available, Van der Vaart for example, yet we just bulked the squad with million wingers and second rate fullbacks.

The idea of three holding midfielders and fullbacks going forward is shite. Back to drawing board in january me thinks.

I fucking hope not, what, so we have to start again? We have more than a decent squad and I wouldn't like us to be restarting the plan during a period when you won't get the player you want.

I'm trying to work out if your comments are stalling tactics mate, and hopefully they are. Mancini still has time to sort things out, and I am pretty sure he will unless his pride gets to him. If not, I'm pretty sure he won't get the chance to re-think the strategy in January.

I didn't mean sacking Mancini. I meant he needs to figure out something more attacking.

this is the whole thing. I don't want him sacked now either. I just find it hard to believe he will change this 3 holding midfielder strategy. And I believe until he does, we will not be able to attack to our full capabilities. And more importantly, I think it could well result in us not finishing in the top four.

Just a bit more ambition is all I want. Its just that I've been saying that for ages now and I'm starting to think its not going to happen. I'm not ungrateful that we're in fourth. I'm not ungrateful that we have such resources at our disposal.

I'm just worried that we're going about it in the wrong way.
Original Dub

Postby colonel_muck » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:56 am

well i've seen no performance from him yet to take any hope from. if, as a fan you're not happy with him now, you never will be. get rid i say.
colonel_muck
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:24 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:

I know you didn't, what I was meaning was 'Why wait until January when he can do it now'. Waiting until January and trying to buy players to then expect them to fit into a set formation is a risky tactic, especially considering we have players we know can put it into the onion bag.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:23 pm

no no no, i'm not having this! I was assured that when we had both our worldclass fullbacks fit and available that we would be attractive and free flowing....

This is one of your best posts for a while! Spot on.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:32 pm

We were very disjointed and piecemeal going forward and it looked to me that the players knew it after a while.. so they all took turns to try and shoot out of frustration. The whole too negative thing is just a massive OTT reaction after the Derby and is just people venting off. We were all over Birmingham in the second half but the players couldn't link up well enough to break through them. You have take into account that Brum were set up to do that, there is no point in pretending they didn't play a part. However no-one of our players seemed to perform well.. and certainly not together. It is also worth bearing in mind that Boateng and Kolarov have not played that many games and again it is a big ask from Bobby to expect them to fit in seamlessly. If anything apart from an off day for most of the attackers, we perhaps underestimated Birmingham, so both Mancini and the players were not ready for how resolute they were. We would have been better to stick with Micah and Zabba as FBs imo.
I think Mancini thought this would have been the perfect game for Kolarov and Boateng to get into the swing of things against an intimidated and overwhelmed Birmingham side. That didn't pan out and Brum were better organised than expected.

Conclusion: We are still not there and still bedding in players and still trying to find our edge partly because of that. Secondly going on from here it is a short term concern as a lot of teams will give us the same problem ( at Home ) and we have to be able to deal with it. All the teams we have had problems with have sat behind the ball, the teams we have had least problems with have tried to come and play.. Liverpool did and got outclassed, Chelsea did and lost out, Newcastle tried and lost out, Sunderland just sat there for 90 and nicked it, Blackburn sat there, even the rags sat back.

If you look at that trend you can easy see where our problem is, add our away form and it confirms that we are much better when teams have to come out.
Breaking down teams that are sat in their penalty area is not easy.. not even for Barca, and it takes and demands a lot of creativity and second nature understanding between players.

There is nothing particularly wrong with our set up, we just have to learn to know each other and get faster at making decisions and getting the ball through the oppositions massed ranks as though it is second nature. On an off day that can seem laborious and players resort to trying it alone, that is what happened v Brum.. Tevez, Yaya, Milner, AJ, Silva, Zabba, deJong all had a go at an individual attempt.
I have see the mighty Barca do exactly the same thing, so it can happen to the best of them. City as i say have to try and deal with it quickly.. and i imagine it is possibly why Mancini is putting so much store in Balotelli as he is crafty in close situations and has a poachers instinct, is quick witted and looks like he knows where the net is. I can understand in tight games he can be the key difference in the oppositions crowded area.
We will get better though even without Mario, will take time though.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:01 pm

We've mentioned before about plans B,C & D when it comes to attacking & judging by Bob's latest comments, he agrees about getting the ball wide & getting balls into the box, so presumably it's something they'll be working on. Obviously, that will also require getting players into the box to get on the end of said crosses. Balotelli has already shown he can do that but not too many others have been very sharp in that department so I think Bob needs to really push them on it if we're not to have more impotent displys like the last two. He should have sorted this earlier imo though, rather than waiting for Balotelli, Kolarov & Boateng to get fit but at least he's expressed an intention to do it.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Too true, but without sounding like i am defending Bob too much we also have to think about the idea that he has been trying to get the players to do certain things and they haven't or dont deliver.. he could be just as pissed off or more with the players than we are. He had a spell where he was stood on the touchline waving the defence forward in every game.. it was a while back now, but it highlights the idea that they were told to push out and didn't.. and he had to remind them and encourage them to do so in games.

The whole squad train in the same way.. formation holding etc and so all the squad should be aware and in the mode of what he wants. He said publically that if Tevez doesn't score we dont score.. now he wont have said that publically if he hadn't already said that to the players and been encouraging them to get in there and get on the scoresheet. He has told AJ he needs better decision making and jinking a few players is not what it is about. Im sure he has an agenda for each and every player in terms of their development and what he wants from them.

Mancini is regarded as having the defence sorted out now.. now that is interesting in that players who were attackers in their playing days often are poor at organising teams defensively. He knows about attacking so it only can be assumed he is working on it in no uncertain terms.

The general reaction to the Brum game has been amplified by the way the derby panned out and we have to take that into account in any thoughts and analysis of Saturdays performance.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Slim » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:15 pm

King Kev wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:why did 40,000 people boo the most expensively assembled insomnia cure of all time?
You made that up. There is no way that 40000 people were booing at the end, the vast majority didn't boo, some even clapped.

You're right, no way there were 40,000 left inside the stadium at fulltime.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:31 pm

Slim wrote:
King Kev wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:why did 40,000 people boo the most expensively assembled insomnia cure of all time?
You made that up. There is no way that 40000 people were booing at the end, the vast majority didn't boo, some even clapped.

You're right, no way there were 40,000 left inside the stadium at fulltime.

I stayed & clapped but I was booing inside.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Nick » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:34 pm

We have wingers?
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:45 pm

john@staustell wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:I don't think the lack of midfield support is down to Mancini's instructions, he was screaming at them to get forward, imo it's down to the fact that DeJong is a mainly defensive player & Yaya hasn't got the stamina to keep running backwards & forwards. Makes the substitution of Tevez all the more questionable as it was done to help the attack.

Spot on. A couple of real midfielders, the kind capable of attacking and defending - yeah, I know, weird, isn't it? - would do the trick. Some width, on BOTH sides rather than just one, will help as well. And if you're going to get crosses into the box at head height, you need two strikers who can get on the end of them, not two fucking midgets. And if you've got two fucking midgets, you play the ball to their feet. It is not hard to work out. Even people as cerebrally-challenged as the average professional footballer should be capable of thinking such things if an old duffer like me can.

Birmingham defended very well and fair play to them; that's what a defence is for. We were forced to shoot from further out than we would perhaps like but it is not quite a reason for me to slash my wrists. Ironically our fourth place spot is more secure than it was three weeks ago, despite our "appalling run" as I heard some knobhead call it the other day. The current situation is hardly the end of the world and overall we remain comfortably on course.

I would really like to try Vieira in that forward role currently occupied by Yaya.
Vieira can thread a pass or make a goal himself. He's much smarter than some of these.

As long as he's got Dejong and Barry behind him!

That's what I was thinking and not only in this match but also the one against the Scum. Paddy has loads of experience and he is much more positive going forward than any our other midfielders. He can still find the killer pass and we've seen him do it a couple of time this season already. Plus he can score from long distance and not with the type of hopeful shots that we saw Yaya and Kolorov trying. And for those who say Paddy is too old, well I say I think he has enough stamina to play for 20 minutes against a tired defence and with his experience he will know how to pace himself.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:05 pm

Can I be the 1st to boo off you lads & your Vieira idea?

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 pm

ive said before that is where i would play Vieira if i had to, less running to do and less getting caught out. He can still read the game and is quick thinking enough to release players and play those passes
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:24 pm

God damn we're getting desperate.. that Elano guy would be useful in that position.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby CityFanFromRome » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:08 pm

The fact is that we have one creative midfielder in Silva, and probbaly Mancini thought that would be enough as Yaya, Barry, Milner, AJ all have the ability to make a pass, so they would on turn, integrate Silva's playmaking abilities with their own. So far, this plan has not worked like the manager expected it to, for whatever reason.

colonel_muck wrote:well i've seen no performance from him yet to take any hope from. if, as a fan you're not happy with him now, you never will be. get rid i say.

Who comes in then? O'Neeill? Rijkaard?
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum