Extra strikers not the answer, explains Mancini

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Extra strikers not the answer, explains Mancini

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:35 pm

Roberto Mancini admitted that he shared the frustration of City supporters as the Blues were held to a second goalless draw in three days at the City of Manchester Stadium.

Birmingham left with a Barclays Premier League point after holding out to repeat the 0-0 scoreline from the midweek derby, and although City remain fourth in the table there were boos from home fans.

There was also a howl of protest around the ground when manager Mancini withdrew skipper Carlos Tevez towards the end and replaced him with midfielder Gareth Barry as City battled to break Birmingham down.

But the Blues boss said: "We were pushing players into the box, and Carlos has had a little injury for two or three weeks. I thought that if I took him off and put on another player, there was a chance to score.

"Do you think that if I put on four strikers we will score four goals? That's not football. All supporters are like this, here and in Italy. They think why not put on two, three, four, five strikers?

"If football was like that, I'd put ten strikers on the pitch! But it's not. We had 17 chances. In the first half we played too slowly, but in the second we played good football but didn't score. It happens."

Mancini lost Emmanuel Adebayor with a heel injury in training, leaving Roque Santa Cruz and Jo to provide the attacking options on the City bench. He said: "I am also frustrated. because I want to win.

"The supporters are unhappy but we played 100 per cent and had a lot of chances to score. we have this problem, finding it difficult to score, but it is important that we did have the chances.

"We must improve on this - when we have a chance, we must score. If we don't, then it is a problem. We've had this problem since the start of the season. If Carlos Tevez does not score a goal, we don't have another player to score a goal. We had Balotelli injured and now banned, Adebayor injured, but we must continue to work."

mcfc.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Extra strikers not the answer, explains Mancini

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:38 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Mancio, I'm just wondering what the answer is because you don't seem to have it.

Must Improve - No shit Sherlock!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Abu Dhabi » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:39 pm

Glad he came out and put this to bed. Alright then, next match please.

Edit: haha beefy
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:47 pm

If Carlos Tevez does not score a goal, we don't have another player to score a goal.

Shame he's had no money to change this.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby CitizenYank » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:46 pm

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:
If Carlos Tevez does not score a goal, we don't have another player to score a goal.

Amen. Finally, some good sense.
Never touch the clowns. Let the clowns touch you!
CitizenYank
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City, P Timbers

Postby StrikeAnywhere » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:00 am

we cant fucking score becuase when ever a cross comes into the box a) its about inaccurate as a blind man pissing with no hands or b) we have little midgets in the box or not even near the box!
StrikeAnywhere
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby john68 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:45 am

Very glib. Maybe you have forgotten that in the summer we actively tried to sign several world class strikers. Money had no part in this, nor the amount we have. If you don't manage to get all your targets in the summer, you are then stuck with what you have., no matter how rich you are. I expect to see us chasing thse top strikers over the next few weeks. When we are then allowed to buy.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:14 am

john68 wrote:

Very glib. Maybe you have forgotten that in the summer we actively tried to sign several world class strikers. Money had no part in this, nor the amount we have. If you don't manage to get all your targets in the summer, you are then stuck with what you have., no matter how rich you are. I expect to see us chasing thse top strikers over the next few weeks. When we are then allowed to buy.

He might have wanted some new strikers, but we didn't get them. We've still got Tevez, Ade and Mario and, I suspect, any prem team would take them off our hands.

If the Sheikh said no more money, do we just give up, or is a manager and coach's job to manage with what you have and coach them to improve? You can't decide the only solution is to play without a striker and moan that Mario got himself, rightly, banned
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:17 am

john68 wrote:

He shipped out Bellers and Robinho and may as well force Ade and RSC to wear t shirts with the slogan "cunt for hire" for how much respect he's shown them.

If we have no strikers it's his fault!
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby bluej » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:28 am

Strikers not the answer, explains Mancini

Roberto Mancini admitted that he shared the frustration of City supporters as the Blues were held to a second goalless draw in three days at the City of Manchester Stadium.

Birmingham left with a Barclays Premier League point after holding out to repeat the 0-0 scoreline from the midweek derby, and although City remain fourth in the table there were boos from home fans.

There was also a howl of protest around the ground when manager Mancini withdrew skipper Carlos Tevez towards the end and replaced him with midfielder Gareth Barry as City battled to break Birmingham down.

But the Blues boss said: "We were pushing players into the box, and Carlos has had a little injury for two or three weeks. I thought that if I took him off and put on another [strike]player[/strike] defensive midfielder, there was a chance to [strike]score[/strike] not concede.

"Do you think that if I put on four strikers we will score four goals? That's not football. All supporters are like this, here and in Italy. They think why not put on two, three, four, five strikers?

"If football was like that, I'd put ten strikers on the pitch! But it's not. We had 17 chances. In the first half we played too slowly, but in the second we played good football but didn't score. It happens."

Mancini lost Emmanuel Adebayor with a heel injury in training, leaving Roque Santa Cruz and Jo to provide the attacking options on the City bench. He said: "I am also frustrated. because I want to win.

"The supporters are unhappy but we played 100 per cent and had a lot of chances to score. we have this problem, finding it difficult to score, but it is important that we did have the chances.

"We must improve on this - when we have a chance, we must score. If we don't, then it is a problem. We've had this problem since the start of the season. If Carlos Tevez does not score a goal, we don't have another player to score a goal. We had Balotelli injured and now banned, Adebayor injured, but we must continue to work."

mcfc.co.uk
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:44 am

john68 wrote:

Amen. Finally some good sense.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Original Dub » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:39 am

johnny crossan wrote:
john68 wrote:

Amen. Finally some good sense.

Delighted with everything?
Original Dub

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:55 am

john68 wrote:

Stop making excuses for him. People defending him are becoming tiresome.

If he hasn't bought strikers it's his fault.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Dameerto » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:10 am

That would imply he conducted the negotiations.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Steve » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:41 pm

In other teams, midfielders score aswell
There's only one Antoine!
Steve
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby gaudy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:14 pm

come back darius,all is forgivin!
gaudy
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:12 pm

Oh yes how silly of us. How can anyone not realise that taking off one of the most prolific strikers in world football off for a holding midfielder who's scored about 3 goals in 70 odd games in a game we need to win is a positive attacking move? Sorry Mancini.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:06 pm

Steve wrote:In other teams, midfielders score aswell

This is a key point imo. If you take Tevez out of the equation, how many goals do the rest of that team score on average over their careers? Letting go of players like Bellamy & Robinho, who score 1 in 3 & replacing them with players who score 1 in 8 is obviously weakening the attacking potency of the squad & was asking for trouble. Hopefully he will rectify his mistakes in Jan.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby bluej » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:10 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

This is a key point imo. If you take Tevez out of the equation, how many goals do the rest of that team score on average over their careers? Letting go of players like Bellamy & Robinho, who score 1 in 3 & replacing them with players who score 1 in 8 is obviously weakening the attacking potency of the squad & was asking for trouble. Hopefully he will rectify his mistakes in Jan.

I'd love to see Milner given a go in the midfield 3 as I reckon that would go towards solving some of the problems going forward, Yaya and Barry are just too slow to go back and forth and De Jong is the defensive foil.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:22 pm

bluej wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

I'd love to see Milner given a go in the midfield 3 as I reckon that would go towards solving some of the problems going forward, Yaya and Barry are just too slow to go back and forth and De Jong is the defensive foil.

Don't understand why Milner is always played out wide. As a wide player, he's been mostly average during his career. It's only since he moved to the centre that he became talked about as a future top England player & as being worth money. Any Villa fan will tell you he's wasted playing wide. There are about 40 other better wide players we could have signed if that's what we needed. It would have been better for him & us to leave him at Villa if we're not going to give him a run of games in his best position.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum