'Plastic' Pitches - The Way Forward?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

'Plastic' Pitches - The Way Forward?

Postby King Kev » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:24 am

With so many games being called off this weekend is it time for clubs, especially in the lower leagues, to switch to synthetic pitches?

Financially it is a no-brainer as they would save money by not having to call off matches and make money by being able to hire the pitch out.

So, should more lower league clubs be encouraged to switch to 'plastic' pitches?
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: 'Plastic' Pitches - The Way Forward?

Postby john@staustell » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:29 am

Several clubs tried it - I remember Oldham and QPR - but at the end of the day it proved an unpopular surface and never caught on. I think Oldham had to rip it up when they joined the PL, but even so I dont think it was cost effective or popular (grazed legs, bounce etc).

Technology should be a lot better now though.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby King Kev » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:31 am

john@staustell wrote:Several clubs tried it - I remember Oldham and QPR - but at the end of the day it proved an unpopular surface and never caught on. I think Oldham had to rip it up when they joined the PL, but even so I dont think it was cost effective or popular (grazed legs, bounce etc).

Technology should be a lot better now though.

Exactly why I think it's worth re-visiting.

I played (and scored!) on Preston's plastic pitch and it was bloody awful but they are supposed to be much better now.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Sister of fu » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:33 am

I don't mind training on these types of pitches but nothing beats grass. These pitches also freeze when it's really cold and are just as dangerous.

I think the 3g and 4g pitches are also bad on the old limbs and I have seen more knee injuries since the introduction of this surface than back in the day training on muddy grass pitches.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby bluej » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:36 am

I play at Platt Lane on the artificial pitch there, I don't know what type it is (I remember something about rubber crumb?) but it can freeze during the winter, and you can still lose a layer of skin attempting to slide tackle on it.

Can't beat grass IMO.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby zuricity » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:44 am

Well there are many great synthetic pitches here in switzerland. A good discussion topic as the uk sits in an early winter cold spell
There are some great artificial pitches and the there's the old types referred to at oldham etc the only problam in the summer is that the top pitches need to be damp to allow for slide tackles etc

Nobody now has a weather excuse in my team to skip training and we go through winter so. Even in -15C temps.

Despite all this grass is better !

Oh and we're under the snow cosh right now !

At least i can see my black schnauzer running across the snow covered forest and fields in the night !
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:01 am

There would still be the problem of conditions around the grounds being unsafe, so it's probably not worth the expense in the lower leagues, just for the odd game.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby HeyMark » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:13 am

1 Irish League game has not been called off this weekend, the one game is at Cliftonvilles ground, which is 3G
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:19 pm

HeyMark wrote:1 Irish League game has not been called off this weekend, the one game is at Cliftonvilles ground, which is 3G

They have a league in Ireland?
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Return to The Maine Football forum