What Does Yaya Toure Actually Do?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: What Does Yaya Toure Actually Do?

Postby BadKompany » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:06 pm

Original Dub wrote:

Hold on a second there mate. Surely you have seen this before?

When a team have so many highly rated players that look out of sorts, it COULD have to do with how the manager is using them and the pholosophy being instilled.

Do you remember Spurs under Ramos? do you remember the amount of players that came highly rated but looked absolute garbage? Do you remember that Gareth Bale was the on going joke in that he was there over a year before he was actually in a side that won?

Yaya Toure is a class player but he doesn't look it now. That much I definitely agree with. But Pep Guardiola was very sad to see him go and said we had just signed a fantastic player. I've watched him loads of times and he looked absolutely class - just like he has done for us on several occasions, but I honestly don't think our manager understands this league and the importance of balancing power with pace. There is a massive imbalance in this city side and quite a few players are suffering because of it.

Lets say youre right and it's purely a balance issue.Please tell me how that lack of team balance prevents him from putting any effort in for 85mins?
Never wear socks that are funnier than you.
BadKompany
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: The Business

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:07 pm

Rag_hater wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:He had the one shot we had on goal today and made 28 passes and failed with 8.That was less misses than David and the hardworking Milner who missed 11.The 2 midfielders who passed better than him NDJ and Barry didn't get us anywhere near shooting.
He was far from our worst player today.
I think cos he gets paid a lot people like to make him a target.

You're doing the stats thing again & this is one of those occasions where it doesn't mean anything. I don't want to make him a target, I wanted to sign him.

He was fucking abysmal today & was constantly letting people run past him when just a slight effort would have made them turn away. Others had to stop them because he couldn't as he's either not fit enough or too lazy. He was fucking shite. And don't bother reading out stats that he ran 55 miles because that doesn't matter either; there are 80 year old blokes who run marathions; at their own pace, like Yaya.

Fair enough if you don't want to hear the truth.
If your telling me that he was the worst out there today we will have to differ in opinion cos I don't think he was.
And yes I'm doing that stats thing again no doubt if they proved anything you swanted to say I think you might use them,be foolish not to.
I know what I saw and I didn't see the scapegoat some on here are blaming.I saw a player named Yaya doing what he was sent out to do.

Which was?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby guv111 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:08 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
guv111 wrote:The sad thing is, he has flashes of brilliance quite often. Unfortunately, it's usually quite early in the game and it's often the last thing he does.

It's because he struggles with fitness. That's why I'm baffled as to why Bob seems to be running him to the knackers yard.

Agreed, Ted. Some players I can understand playing every game, but YaYa? Is he really that indispensable?
guv111
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby ant london » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:17 pm

Rag_hater wrote:He had the one shot we had on goal today and made 28 passes and failed with 8.That was less misses than David and the hardworking Milner who missed 11.

Serious question....have you every actually played football (or any other sport) at any kind of reasonable level or do you just watch lots and lots of statistics-laden televised sport.

You talk with the conviction of someone who thinks he knows what he's talking about but in the real sporting world, my god, you seem utterly clueless
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Original Dub » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:18 pm

BadKompany wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Hold on a second there mate. Surely you have seen this before?

When a team have so many highly rated players that look out of sorts, it COULD have to do with how the manager is using them and the pholosophy being instilled.

Do you remember Spurs under Ramos? do you remember the amount of players that came highly rated but looked absolute garbage? Do you remember that Gareth Bale was the on going joke in that he was there over a year before he was actually in a side that won?

Yaya Toure is a class player but he doesn't look it now. That much I definitely agree with. But Pep Guardiola was very sad to see him go and said we had just signed a fantastic player. I've watched him loads of times and he looked absolutely class - just like he has done for us on several occasions, but I honestly don't think our manager understands this league and the importance of balancing power with pace. There is a massive imbalance in this city side and quite a few players are suffering because of it.

Lets say youre right and it's purely a balance issue.Please tell me how that lack of team balance prevents him from putting any effort in for 85mins?

You think he didn't put ANY effort in today? I think he did. I thought he had a shite game, but he put effort in. He looks tired and should have been rested more often for starters.

But back to the imbalance thing - if he had pace around him instead of Barry and De Jong, he could easily turn defence into attack, but more times than not he has to burst forward himself which is not his strength at all. He is capable of doing it of course and has scored a few goals for us by doing just that, but that should be something he does from time to time rather than being told to do it the whole time.. just like Vieira used to do THE ODD TIME for Arsenal. Vieira had pace around him. Hell, Yaya had pace around him at Barca and looked absolutely IMMENSE.

He's a cracking player but is another one who suffers because of a total imbalance. We have NO pace and that is suicide in the Premier League.

Please can we get Bellamy back for the run in. PLEASE???!!! Not the answer outright to my above point, but we can address that in the summer once we achieve top four, which we are in danger of losing... and all because we have NO PACE WHATSOEVER.

Ridiculous.
Original Dub

Postby Rag_hater » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:44 pm

ant london wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:He had the one shot we had on goal today and made 28 passes and failed with 8.That was less misses than David and the hardworking Milner who missed 11.

Serious question....have you every actually played football (or any other sport) at any kind of reasonable level or do you just watch lots and lots of statistics-laden televised sport.

You talk with the conviction of someone who thinks he knows what he's talking about but in the real sporting world, my god, you seem utterly clueless

Are you still upset I called you a hippy?:)
I didn't know that the criteria on here was that you had to have played sport in the real world before you could comment.(does the school team count?)
Utterly clueless?I know what I see and if my interpretation is different to yours does that make me clueless?Well I should have realised if a clued up banker like yourself or the other experts on here tell me something it has to be right and unquestionable.I'll be more compliant to anything you say in future but I'm sure a tolerant guy like you seem to be(only going of what you said in the Mario thread)able to understand my foibles.
For me today I saw Yaya closing down Essin a few time and some other Chelski players.He didn't get any tackles in but he run around most of the time he was on the pitch from what I saw of him.
All this stuff about him standing around huffing and puffing is rubbish.
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:52 pm

Rag_hater wrote:
ant london wrote:

I didn't know that the criteria on here was that you had to have played sport in the real world before you could comment.(does the school team count?)
Utterly clueless?I know what I see and if my interpretation is different to yours does that make me clueless?Well I should have realised if a clued up banker like yourself or the other experts on here tell me something it has to be right and unquestionable.I'll be more compliant to anything you say in future but I'm sure a tolerant guy like you seem to be(only going of what you said in the Mario thread)able to understand my foibles.
For me today I saw Yaya closing down Essin a few time and some other Chelski players.He didn't get any tackles in but he run around most of the time he was on the pitch from what I saw of him.

It wasn't standing around huffing & puffing, it was lumbering around wheezing, which means moving but not very well. If you think he was moving well for most of the game & closing down well, you are wrong. He sprints, then he jogs, for a long time & then when he gets his breath back, he has another sprint. Wtach a re run of the game & look for occasions when a Chelsea player is about to go past him, within 10 yards or so & see how often he increases speed in order to try & stop them * be honest with yourself if you think he's moving as well & as quickly, as a player in his position should be doing.

Use your eyes & brain to make your own statistics about that.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:03 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
guv111 wrote:The sad thing is, he has flashes of brilliance quite often. Unfortunately, it's usually quite early in the game and it's often the last thing he does.

It's because he struggles with fitness. That's why I'm baffled as to why Bob seems to be running him to the knackers yard.

Someone in another thread said that he is like Elano,cannot play more than 70 minutes and that's very true. And also like Elano he has shown some flashes of brilliance and scored a few good goals.
Maybe the solution is (are you listening Bob) is to rest him by not starting him and then bringing him on in the last 20 minutes where he can play full of energy agianst tired opposition and really make a differnce.
At least today he was subbed at 80 minutes but I think that was more because he had some slight injury. He should've been subbed at 60 or 70 minutes and AJ should have come on for him.
And why oh why and time and again does Mancini not use all 3 subs when we need them. Why didn't he also throw in SWP today when we were chasing the game with 10 minutes left ??
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby Rag_hater » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:30 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:
ant london wrote:

It wasn't standing around huffing & puffing, it was lumbering around wheezing, which means moving but not very well. If you think he was moving well for most of the game & closing down well, you are wrong. He sprints, then he jogs, for a long time & then when he gets his breath back, he has another sprint. Wtach a re run of the game & look for occasions when a Chelsea player is about to go past him, within 10 yards or so & see how often he increases speed in order to try & stop them * be honest with yourself if you think he's moving as well & as quickly, as a player in his position should be doing.

What do you want him to do? Sprint around for 90 mins(I doubt Usain Bolt could do that).Chelski players ran past him.Was he the only one?
Chelski's last goal went like this:The Brazilian with a neat Cruyff turn 30-yards from goal, he then advances beyond Kolarov and Barry before slotting a firmly-struck side-foot effort past Hart!
Seems he went past a couple of our players.Why,were they getting their breath back.Or was it just what player try to do.
Yaya did plenty today.
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:42 pm

Rag_hater wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:
ant london wrote:

What do you want him to do? Sprint around for 90 mins(I doubt Usain Bolt could do that).Chelski players ran past him.Was he the only one?
Chelski's last goal went like this:The Brazilian with a neat Cruyff turn 30-yards from goal, he then advances beyond Kolarov and Barry before slotting a firmly-struck side-foot effort past Hart!
Seems he went past a couple of our players.Why,were they getting their breath back.Or was it just what player try to do.
Yaya did plenty today.

The late goal was bad defending by Lescott & Kolarov. That doesn't somehow make Yaya's performance good. He was shite for most of the game, as was Kolarov. Some of the other players played well, some average, those two; total, utter shite.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby gillie » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:44 pm

Rag_hater wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:
ant london wrote:

Yaya did plenty today.

After the first 20 mins he did fuck all.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Green & Blue » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:44 pm

Stick him in his best position beside Dejong instead of Barry, it makes sense.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:52 pm

Green & Blue wrote:Stick him in his best position beside Dejong instead of Barry, it makes sense.

He doesn't fill the gaps like Barry does though. Barry covers up for a lot of shit positional play & mistakes made by others. Not sure Bob's plan works if the midfield don't defend like fuck.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby bernabias_right_boot » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Rag_hater wrote:He had the one shot we had on goal today and made 28 passes and failed with 8.That was less misses than David and the hardworking Milner who missed 11.The 2 midfielders who passed better than him NDJ and Barry didn't get us anywhere near shooting.
He was far from our worst player today.
I think cos he gets paid a lot people like to make him a target.

stats will probably show
20 backward passes - less than 10 yards - completed
8 forwards passes - fucked em
even if that's not true, it bloody seems like it!
bernabias_right_boot
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Carlito

Postby The Original Special One » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:00 pm

Good question!
The Original Special One
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Yaya Toure

Postby The Original Special One » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:01 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Green & Blue wrote:Stick him in his best position beside Dejong instead of Barry, it makes sense.

He doesn't fill the gaps like Barry does though. Barry covers up for a lot of shit positional play & mistakes made by others. Not sure Bob's plan works if the midfield don't defend like fuck.

Agreed; I can't believe the bad rap Barry gets on here
The Original Special One

Postby Green & Blue » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

I cant agree on Barry myself Ted.He really fustrates me , slow as a a wet week.I do really think some sort of change needs to be made in our midfield.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Green & Blue wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

I cant agree on Barry myself Ted.He really fustrates me , slow as a a wet week.I do really think some sort of change needs to be made in our midfield.

I agree he's slow as fuck & he rarely does anything good with the ball but he spots things early & calmly covers quite a few potential disasters before they happen. He's like a modern day Prem Lg version of Kevin Horlock to me; you tend to notice the bits he gets wrong because the bits he gets right go smoothly, thanks to him. The level we're aiming for we should really have a Roy K***e level player doing that job but where do you find one?

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:44 pm

I've not understood all the Yaya hate this season and honestly think he's beena good addition.

That said today he pulled out of a load of 50/50's, ambled towards balls he had cobered, allowing himself to be caught and then either went down or foulded the other player. He was quite shit for once.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby The Original Special One » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:50 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Green & Blue wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

I agree he's slow as fuck & he rarely does anything good with the ball but he spots things early & calmly covers quite a few potential disasters before they happen. He's like a modern day Prem Lg version of Kevin Horlock to me; you tend to notice the bits he gets wrong because the bits he gets right go smoothly, thanks to him. The level we're aiming for we should really have a Roy K***e level player doing that job but where do you find one?

Not only that but he has been known to pop up in or around the penalty area and score or set up a few goals.
And you're spot on about people noticing the bits he gets wrong
The Original Special One

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum