The Invisible Man...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Invisible Man...

Postby gary james » Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm

Of all the stories (which also include an event that took place in a bar on tour in Ireland or the Isle Of Man - I can't remember which at the moment), the Prestwich one is the one that has usually been accepted because it fits in most with the timing of the song and so on.

It was definitely sung pre-Div 2 (I referred to it in one of my books published before relegation), but it became popular during the Div 2 days.

In 1994 I wrote a piece for the Kippax Last Stand which included chants/songs and I didn't mention it at all which suggests that it wasn't widely heard at that time, but that doesn't mean it hadn't been sung of course.
Latest book "Manchester The City Years" - the full story of the Blues from the 1860s through to QPR 2012

Find out more about my writing/books: http://www.facebook.com/GaryJames4
Twitter: @GaryJamesWriter
gary james
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby aaron bond » Fri May 20, 2011 2:09 pm

patrickblue wrote:
glossopblue wrote:Am i the only person who hates this song?

I can't be doing with it!!!

It's shite, but it's our shite.

I'll sing it but it is a really shit song.

It is slightly better than 'Stand Up If You Love City' though. Now that's a shit song. I hate that song because people are sitting down, stand up and sing it for 10 seconds and then sit back down again. Really, why bother?
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby bobby brows » Fri May 20, 2011 2:31 pm

This is my all time non uwe-rosler song! just love it! its replaced blue moon for me!

I was told that the song relates back to a tour of Italy (??) where some blues had been in trouble, trashed a bar or got in a fight, a bike got nicked or something. The police came to nick the offenders but they couldn't work out who it was thus the song was born!
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Stan » Fri May 20, 2011 9:21 pm

bobby brows wrote:This is my all time non uwe-rosler song! just love it! its replaced blue moon for me!

I was told that the song relates back to a tour of Italy (??) where some blues had been in trouble, trashed a bar or got in a fight, a bike got nicked or something. The police came to nick the offenders but they couldn't work out who it was thus the song was born!

Tour was Ireland and hotel was in Cork (allegedly); nobody saw nothing OK
Stan
Danny Mills' Wages

Supporter of: MCFC OK
My favourite player is: ZabbaDabbaDoo

Postby frozen_pea » Fri May 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Not trying to lay a claim to the origins, just one story I have heard over the years was it was at our first ever televised game away at QPR (I was told) and City fans were singing all match (as we usually do away) and the commentator said the city fans were quiet, it's like they weren't even there.

I have also heard a lot of people claim it's from that Milwall match.

My personal opinion:
I think if the song was sung before hand (which seems extremely likely it was), but wasn't that famous / popular, but the fans singing it at Milwall made it more popular among fans?
frozen_pea
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Goataldo » Sat May 21, 2011 5:35 pm

The full version is:

"If you drink, you will die,
If you don't drink you will die,
So it's better to be drunk, than to be sober when you die
Just like the fans of the Invisible Man,
We're Not Really Here

We are not, we're not really here" etc etc etc

So was the first bit added later or what? Can anyone rattle their memory boxes and advise?

If the full version has been there since since day one, which theory on its origin would lend itself most to the song?
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum