Aguero?!?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Aguero?!?

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue May 24, 2011 6:24 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
ant london wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:No thanks.

Cheers

If we're talking about Aguero as a replacement for Adebayor (because he doesn't want to return/Bobby won't have him) then I'd probably say yes.

If we're talking about as a replacement for Carlos then no.

Actually, as far as playing style goes he WOULD be direct replacement for Tevez should he leave. Adebayor's replacement was Dzeko.

I'd like to see him play alongside Tevez. If they got it right defenders would have nobody to mark.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue May 24, 2011 6:27 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
ant london wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:No thanks.

Cheers

If we're talking about Aguero as a replacement for Adebayor (because he doesn't want to return/Bobby won't have him) then I'd probably say yes.

If we're talking about as a replacement for Carlos then no.

Actually, as far as playing style goes he WOULD be direct replacement for Tevez should he leave. Adebayor's replacement was Dzeko.

I'd like to see him play alongside Tevez. If they got it right defenders would have nobody to mark.

Them two on free roles with a centerforward as front three would be nice!
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby ant london » Tue May 24, 2011 6:57 am

Yeah I agree on the style point

What i meant really was the fact that Tevez is prem proven and the finished article in terms of utility in the PL.....Aguero very much is not and we'd have to let him acclimatise. So, in that sense, we could not afford to sign him as a Tevez direct replacement
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby john@staustell » Tue May 24, 2011 7:35 am

It's certainly fact that he's asked for a transfer and with his dad met the Atlético people yesterday. It seems he extended his contract in January, until 2014 (from 2012) so it seems someone has tapped him up, or Atlético's failure to deliver success may have got to him. They have asked that offers from other clubs be transmitted to them 'without any conditioning/influence' I just wonde if he's really good in practice or not, being a media darling?

El País extract:

The release of Agüero will end up costing the foreign clubs who have shown an interest €45M, clubs like Juventus and Manchester City. It will be different if Real Madrid, who yesterday signed Castejón, the Espanyol forward, join the chase: they have to pay another 20 million for the IRPF and other taxes. "To Madrid, unlike to other teams, we would never forgive him. But I insist, Agüero will not play at Madrid, even if they pay the clauses, because there exists the player's promise not to do so", insisted recently Gil Marín. However the strategy of Agüero to force his exit has already been used in practice by Beckham and Ronaldo to arrive at the Bernabeu.

La libertad de Agüero seguiría costando 45 millones a los clubes extranjeros que han mostrado interés, como el Juventus y el Manchester City. Otro caso sería si el Real Madrid, que ayer fichó a Castejón, delantero del Espanyol, se sumara a la puja: debería pagar otros 20 millones por el IRPF y otros impuestos. "Al Madrid, al revés que a otro posible conjunto interesado, no se los perdonaríamos. Pero, insisto, Agüero no jugará en el Madrid, aunque pagase la cláusula, porque existe el compromiso del jugador de no hacerlo", insistía recientemente Gil Marín. La estrategia de Agüero de forzar su salida ya la llevaron a la práctica Beckham o Cristiano para recalar en el Bernabéu
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby avoidconfusion » Tue May 24, 2011 7:43 am

If Tevez leaves we better sign this kid.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby david yearsley » Tue May 24, 2011 7:51 am

We should sign him anyway - stop others having him AND he´s still young. In 2 or 3 years this lad will be the dogs I tell yer!
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue May 24, 2011 7:55 am

This oddly also reminds me how average Jose Antonio Reyes turned out in the end. He was supposed to be another Tranaldo or Messi.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Esky » Tue May 24, 2011 7:57 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:This oddly also reminds me how average Jose Antonio Reyes turned out in the end. He was supposed to be another Tranaldo or Messi.

Yep, never understood why Aguero gets the hype he does. If we're replacing Carlos with like for like, I'd prefer Lavezzi. Neither are near Tevez' level though.
Esky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Blue Ship

Postby Beeks » Tue May 24, 2011 7:59 am

Esky wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:This oddly also reminds me how average Jose Antonio Reyes turned out in the end. He was supposed to be another Tranaldo or Messi.

Yep, never understood why Aguero gets the hype he does. If we're replacing Carlos with like for like, I'd prefer Lavezzi. Neither are near Tevez' level though.

Erm...have you seen his goal scoring record?
Last edited by Beeks on Tue May 24, 2011 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue May 24, 2011 7:59 am

Reyes really is a fantastically talented player. Don't understand why he doesn't produce it. Too much of the twat about him I suppose & he's lost his concentration. Balotelli beware.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby david yearsley » Tue May 24, 2011 8:00 am

Reyes did not score hat- tricks regularly and certainly not of the quality Aguero managed in Mallorca last Sat
Reyes has been a revelation for Atletico the last couple of seasons btw
david yearsley

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue May 24, 2011 8:03 am

david yearsley wrote:

Reyes did not score hat- tricks regularly and certainly not of the quality Aguero managed in Mallorca last Sat

Revelation's going a bit far isn't it ?

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beeks » Tue May 24, 2011 8:07 am

Augero has 39 goals in all competitions this season
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue May 24, 2011 8:09 am

david yearsley wrote:

I don't quite get the point. I wasn't comparing Reyes to Aguero. I just made a separate notion that I had thought about for a while now.

I don't know what you mean by revelation but he certainly isn't the world top 5 player he seemed destined to be as youngster. He had skill, pace, strength and was a good dribbler and decent crosser. Basically, if I'd put what I want to see from a (attacking) winger into a.....errr..... winger machine, it'd be pretty much something like (young) Reyes that would come out. So yeah, he has been alright, scored few and created few but he doesn't exactly have to worry what to wear for Ballon D'or gala dinner.

Edit. Why I made that point? Because I always feel almost insulted to see players with amazing natural talent not make it. I always feel that had they shown enough discipline, they would've turned into world stars. Oh, what I would've given for talent like that.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby david yearsley » Tue May 24, 2011 8:09 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
david yearsley wrote:

Revelation's going a bit far isn't it ?

A tad perhaps but he´s had injury probs this season - last season outstanding , considering he´d been written off before
david yearsley

Postby Avalon » Tue May 24, 2011 8:12 am

He's a good player, no doubt. I'm confident he could do a good job in the EPL, however, he will need to get used to the physicality. However, we have Zaba and Tevez, two Argentinians that have proven to be hard and physical, so that looks promising for Aguero. Heck, if Tevez goes, Zaba could teach him a few things and get him used to the location and whatnot. I'm sure he'd love to have another countrymen around him.

I'd like to see us sign him, though he wouldn't be an immediate replacement for Tevez. Then again, I don't think we'll ever get a replacement for Tevez. Not because we can't afford it, but because there is none.

My main priority remains Sanchez though. I think we should sign him first, or do a fancy double swoop.
Avalon
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby avoidconfusion » Tue May 24, 2011 8:15 am

Aguero and Silva in the same team:

so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue May 24, 2011 8:17 am

Avalon wrote:He's a good player, no doubt. I'm confident he could do a good job in the EPL, however, he will need to get used to the physicality. However, we have Zaba and Tevez, two Argentinians that have proven to be hard and physical, so that looks promising for Aguero. Heck, if Tevez goes, Zaba could teach him a few things and get him used to the location and whatnot. I'm sure he'd love to have another countrymen around him.

I'd like to see us sign him, though he wouldn't be an immediate replacement for Tevez. Then again, I don't think we'll ever get a replacement for Tevez. Not because we can't afford it, but because there is none.

My main priority remains Sanchez though. I think we should sign him first, or do a fancy double swoop.

Uuuurrggghhhh.....I HATE "players with same nationality ----> similar personalities" school of thought. Darren Anderton and Stuart Pearce are both English.

Having said all that, Aguero has that ability to dance around tackles bit the same way as Silva and well Tevez. How that will transform to English football is complete wild card though. He'll get kickings he has never received before in England. He'll either sink or swim. Personally I agree bit with Ant here. It's quite a risk for us to hang all our hopes on him should Tevez leave. Could pay off massively or could ruin our season completely.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue May 24, 2011 8:19 am

avoidconfusion wrote:Aguero and Silva in the same team:

You know what, I'm a huge sucker for Survivors. I've watched every single season from start to end. Would love to do that one day.

I know that will make me sound like a complete mong but there you go.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Avalon » Tue May 24, 2011 8:25 am

Avalon wrote:He's a good player, no doubt. I'm confident he could do a good job in the EPL, however, he will need to get used to the physicality. However, we have Zaba and Tevez, two Argentinians that have proven to be hard and physical, so that looks promising for Aguero. Heck, if Tevez goes, Zaba could teach him a few things and get him used to the location and whatnot. I'm sure he'd love to have another countrymen around him.

Uuuurrggghhhh.....I HATE "players with same nationality ----> similar personalities" school of thought. Darren Anderton and Stuart Pearce are both English.

Having said all that, Aguero has that ability to dance around tackles bit the same way as Silva and well Tevez. How that will transform to English football is complete wild card though. He'll get kickings he has never received before in England. He'll either sink or swim. Personally I agree bit with Ant here. It's quite a risk for us to hang all our hopes on him should Tevez leave. Could pay off massively or could ruin our season completely.

Nowhere in my post did I talk about personalities. I mentioned that both Zaba and Tevez deal with the physicality well and thus they could provide information/help/assistance to Aguero, if we sign him. Silva, or not, he still had to get used to it. He actually acknowledged it himself.

I, however, didn't say Zaba and Tevez could become best friends with Aguero and party in Manchester.
Avalon
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum