Aguero?!?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Aguero?!?

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue May 24, 2011 8:47 am

Avalon wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Avalon wrote:He's a good player, no doubt. I'm confident he could do a good job in the EPL, however, he will need to get used to the physicality. However, we have Zaba and Tevez, two Argentinians that have proven to be hard and physical, so that looks promising for Aguero. Heck, if Tevez goes, Zaba could teach him a few things and get him used to the location and whatnot. I'm sure he'd love to have another countrymen around him.

I'd like to see us sign him, though he wouldn't be an immediate replacement for Tevez. Then again, I don't think we'll ever get a replacement for Tevez. Not because we can't afford it, but because there is none.

My main priority remains Sanchez though. I think we should sign him first, or do a fancy double swoop.

Uuuurrggghhhh.....I HATE "players with same nationality ----> similar personalities" school of thought. Darren Anderton and Stuart Pearce are both English.

Having said all that, Aguero has that ability to dance around tackles bit the same way as Silva and well Tevez. How that will transform to English football is complete wild card though. He'll get kickings he has never received before in England. He'll either sink or swim. Personally I agree bit with Ant here. It's quite a risk for us to hang all our hopes on him should Tevez leave. Could pay off massively or could ruin our season completely.

Nowhere in my post did I talk about personalities. I mentioned that both Zaba and Tevez deal with the physicality well and thus they could provide information/help/assistance to Aguero, if we sign him. Silva, or not, he still had to get used to it. He actually acknowledged it himself.

I, however, didn't say Zaba and Tevez could become best friends with Aguero and party in Manchester.

What I meant was that you indicated that since Zabaleta and Tevez has adjusted well to the game then Aguero is likely to do so as well because they are all Argies. Look at Jose Antonio Reyes, player already mentioned on this topic, for example and compare him to say Xabi Alonso. Two Spanish players, roughly same age and came to England around same time. Reyes was moaning and whining about the lifestyle and brought his mom over to cook for him (and probably cuddle him to sleep) and didn't learn word of English and felt homesick which all in the end was starting to influence his play. Alonso on the other hand was like fish in the water. Learned the language, never moaned or whined and was having top Scouse banter wiv his mate Stevie G after few months. He never ever wanted to leave England.

They are all individuals and it doesn't work like that at all.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue May 24, 2011 8:53 am

I dunno. Of course it's not a 100% fact but I think there's an element of truth that Argentinian footballers seem to have more balls than the average Brazilian for example & the kind of qualities that are suited to the game over here.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue May 24, 2011 8:56 am

Ted Hughes wrote:I dunno. Of course it's not a 100% fact but I think there's an element of truth that Argentinian footballers seem to have more balls than the average Brazilian for example & the kind of qualities that are suited to the game over here.

Perhaps so, but you can't just say someone will or will not adjust because of their nationality. I mean Barry Ferguson was homesick in Blackburn!
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Avalon » Tue May 24, 2011 9:00 am

I didn't imply that, so my apologies if it came across as such. I merely meant that we have two Argentines playing for us at the moment and I'm sure both "can" aid him. It is up to him to accept it, or not and to work, or not and complain and moan like Reyes.
Personally, I think he'll be fine, I was just suggesting that he has two fellow coutrymen who could help him, if he so desires.
Avalon
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: City

Postby 1950 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:57 am

Ted Hughes wrote:I dunno. Of course it's not a 100% fact but I think there's an element of truth that Argentinian footballers seem to have more balls than the average Brazilian for example & the kind of qualities that are suited to the game over here.

It makes sense if you look at the leagues. In Brazil you can do keepy ups with your head like a seal & the opposition will just watch, in Argie you'd get kicked to death the instant you tried.

Supporter of: د.إ

Postby ashton287 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:13 pm

I think the 2 spanish clubs (there are only 2) could quite easily get it done if they wanted him and if not then it's us if tevez leaves, then its chealsea. Don't think the rags would go for him. Wouldnt really fit wengers profile either considering the transfer and wages.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Postby Alioune DVToure » Tue May 24, 2011 2:48 pm

Perhaps so, but you can't just say someone will or will not adjust because of their nationality. I mean Barry Ferguson was homesick in Blackburn!

You've obviously never been to Blackburn. I get homesick going to away games there.

From what I've seen of Agüero, which is quite a lot, I'd have him in an instant. If we want 'someone to replace Tevez' then Agüero and Benzema are the most obvious choices.

As for Avalon's post, I didn't get past 'EPL'. Sorry Avalon, but of everything in the whole world I probably only hate Eamonn Holmes and Oliver Letwin more than that acronym.

mancityfans.net room 101:
'EPL'
'top, top player'
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Avalon » Tue May 24, 2011 2:53 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:
As for Avalon's post, I didn't get past 'EPL'. Sorry Avalon, but of everything in the whole world I probably only hate Eamonn Holmes and Oliver Letwin more than that acronym.

'EPL'
'top, top player'

XD

sowwy, it is just how I'm used to write the Premier League. Feel free to suggest other acronyms for me to use ;)
Avalon

Postby Alioune DVToure » Tue May 24, 2011 2:55 pm

Avalon wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:

'EPL'
'top, top player'

XD

sowwy, it is just how I'm used to write the Premier League. Feel free to suggest other acronyms for me to use ;)

PL?

Write what you want, mate. Don't let my pointless neurosis ruin your day!
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby bobby brows » Tue May 24, 2011 3:36 pm

Its a pretty safe bet that Bellamy, Adebayor, Santa Cruz and Caicedo won't return. (Jo will probably stay)

This will probably generate £20m in transfer fees max but save us about £18/19m in wages?

That leaves us with Tevez, Dzeko and Balotelli unless i'm missing someone. Nimely in the Reserves also.

Obviously were all desperate for him to stay but lets says he's gone done deal. (although who could afford him I don't know)
That would be £50m in transfer fee and £12.5m in wages returned minimum.

Dzeko himself admits he's taken his time to find his feet in England. Balo has been, well, Balo but Mancini has been selective in his games. Point is, even if Tevez stays were gonna need another striker. Our lack of goals when Tevez doesn't play has been evident.

Aguero has 74 goals in 175 league games for Atletico but they never threaten the top 4 even with Reyes and Forlan in the squad. He doesn't sem to stand out to me and has only played 25 times for Argentina but anyone who is brave enough to marry Diego Maradona's daughter must be ok!

Someone mentioned Lavezzi, he's only 5ft 8 and has only 35 goals in 122 league games for Napoli and well Italy is overpraised and overhyped.

I wondered if he meant Edinson Cavani, who we're been linked with also, he has 26 goals in 34 league games, is 6ft 2 and only 24. He's also actually only on loan at Napoli from Palermo so would maybe come at a knock down price. Again Italy is Italy but Cavani settles like country man Suarez does, it could be interesting.

I wondered if City might go back for Eto'o. Cash + Eto'o for Tevez? What do people think

or Ibrahimovic, Mancini's love child! I'd love to sign him just to see if he could carry on his streak of winning 9 domestic league titles in the last 9 years. (and 10 in 11)

phew, Jermaine Defoe anyone?
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby 1950 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:07 pm

bobby brows wrote:I wondered if he meant Edinson Cavani, who we're been linked with also, he has 26 goals in 34 league games, is 6ft 2 and only 24. He's also actually only on loan at Napoli from Palermo so would maybe come at a knock down price. Again Italy is Italy but Cavani settles like country man Suarez does, it could be interesting.

Knock down price? The deal is agreed & will become permanent in July, he signed a 5-year contract three days ago. After forking out in the region of 17m I don't think Napoli will sell him & certainly not for less than that after a 26 goal season.

Lavezzi might not be a goal machine, but he's more akin to Tevez in his style of play. Must've been why he was mentioned.

Supporter of: د.إ

Postby Dameerto » Tue May 24, 2011 4:51 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:
Avalon wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:

'EPL'
'top, top player'

XD

PL?

I tend to use Prem, or 'the Prem' - not many letters and everyone knows what I mean (hopefully). My brain just isn't wired for acronyms unfortunately.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Alioune DVToure » Tue May 24, 2011 4:55 pm

Dameerto wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:
Avalon wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:

'EPL'
'top, top player'

XD

PL?

I tend to use Prem, or 'the Prem' - not many letters and everyone knows what I mean (hopefully). My brain just isn't wired for acronyms unfortunately.

'Prem' is good. I actually use that term in speech.

'EPL' conjures up images of presenters on ESPN in the States reading off an autocue with Warren Barton sat there cringing.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby dazby » Tue May 24, 2011 9:32 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:

You've obviously never been to Blackburn. I get homesick going to away games there.

From what I've seen of Agüero, which is quite a lot, I'd have him in an instant. If we want 'someone to replace Tevez' then Agüero and Benzema are the most obvious choices.

Fastidious little bitch aren't we AVT?

BTW, I'd have Stephen Ireland back tomorrow but Superjaw can stay. He's finished the season really really well.
'EPL'
'top, top player'
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Alioune DVToure » Tue May 24, 2011 9:33 pm

dazby wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:

[highlight]Fastidious little bitch aren't we AVT?[/highlight]

BTW, I'd have Stephen Ireland back tomorrow but Superjaw can stay. He's finished the season really really well.
'EPL'
'top, top player'

Yes.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby avoidconfusion » Wed May 25, 2011 8:14 am

Allegedly bought a house next to Christiano Ronaldo, off to Madrid according to Spanish media.

What the fuck are Madrid playing at... perfect example of how the FFP rules are absolute garbage.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Esky » Wed May 25, 2011 8:19 am

1950 wrote:
bobby brows wrote:I wondered if he meant Edinson Cavani, who we're been linked with also, he has 26 goals in 34 league games, is 6ft 2 and only 24. He's also actually only on loan at Napoli from Palermo so would maybe come at a knock down price. Again Italy is Italy but Cavani settles like country man Suarez does, it could be interesting.

Knock down price? The deal is agreed & will become permanent in July, he signed a 5-year contract three days ago. After forking out in the region of 17m I don't think Napoli will sell him & certainly not for less than that after a 26 goal season.

Lavezzi might not be a goal machine, but he's more akin to Tevez in his style of play. Must've been why he was mentioned.

Yep, I meant Lavezzi on both counts. His goal records nothing like Tevez' here but he's probably the closest player to Carlos stylistically.

I've never been impressed by Aguero when I've seen him (quite a few times, to be fair) but his goal record is fantastic (I thought it was worse) and the Atletico followers rate him.

Would take balls leaving Atletico for Real, especially when they already have Tranny, Higuain, Benzema, (Adebayor), Di Maria, Ozil, Kaka, Leon and Canales who are all very attacking players.
Last edited by Esky on Wed May 25, 2011 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Esky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Blue Ship

Postby Beeks » Wed May 25, 2011 9:15 am

Real President has said there is no truth to the rumour they are in for Aguero

Hmmmm
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Wed May 25, 2011 9:33 am

Would be impressed with this signing.

Starting to worry there was nobody left I'd be excited about as well.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby david yearsley » Wed May 25, 2011 9:52 am

Beeks wrote:Real President has said there is no truth to the rumour they are in for Aguero

Hmmmm

Not a chance - Madrid would be in fookin flames the day this happens
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum