*** NEW MEMBERS INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE ***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: *** NEW MEMBERS INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE ***

Postby cityfan india » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:52 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
cityfan india wrote:I'm from India where it is still widely believed that manchester has only one club ( the rags).

Welcome!

Out of interest, what proportion of 'typical' Indian football fans watch the Premier League? Is it seen by most as more or less important than the Champions' League? Also, how many Premier League clubs would the average 'typical fan' be able to name? Are football followers aware of the Venky's/Blackburn fiasco, and, if so, what do they think of it?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm genuinely interested; India is such a big country, but people never really think of it in footballing terms (at least not until Argentina played a friendly over there a couple of years ago).

Hi the awareness of pl and cl has increased big time over the last few years..this can be attributed to the fact the game has been marketed well and also for the fact that our domestic league has not developed that much..with regards to the fan following, they mostly follow the old top 4 ( would be glad that the rags would be out of that this season)..the rags have set up their cafes and merchandise stores in few cities.venkys was a disaster and failed to create a buzz..the major help has come from the broadcast partners who are giving good coverage..man city tv along with other club channels are being aired currently..even championship matches are being broadcasted live..also there are some events which set a platform for a brighter future in football for us..india would be hosting the u-17 wc in 2017, which has been a major boost for getting better infrastructure..also a new india super league wud be starting in 2014,which is likely to see participation by old players like michael owen,saha,pires,crespo etc..all these would definately increase the base of the sport here..there is a big pool of talent as football tournaments are held across different levels of school and college..the only concern is that it would take some time to get noticed on the global stage as football is under the huge shadow of cricket..city need to focus in building their base in india as there is lot of potential available..
cityfan india
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby nottsblue » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:55 pm

cityfan india wrote:
Hi the awareness of pl and cl has increased big time over the last few years..this can be attributed to the fact the game has been marketed well and also for the fact that our domestic league has not developed that much..with regards to the fan following, they mostly follow the old top 4 ( would be glad that the rags would be out of that this season)..the rags have set up their cafes and merchandise stores in few cities.venkys was a disaster and failed to create a buzz..the major help has come from the broadcast partners who are giving good coverage..man city tv along with other club channels are being aired currently..even championship matches are being broadcasted live..also there are some events which set a platform for a brighter future in football for us..india would be hosting the u-17 wc in 2017, which has been a major boost for getting better infrastructure..also a new india super league wud be starting in 2014,which is likely to see participation by old players like michael owen,saha,pires,crespo etc..all these would definately increase the base of the sport here..there is a big pool of talent as football tournaments are held across different levels of school and college..the only concern is that it would take some time to get noticed on the global stage as football is under the huge shadow of cricket..city need to focus in building their base in india as there is lot of potential available..

Hi mate. Hope you are well. Great to have new blues from different corners of the globe.

Is football ever likely to even come close to cricket or even hockey for that matter? The more blues the merrier I reckon so keep on spreading the City love!
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Clowncrete » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:00 pm

nottsblue wrote:
cityfan india wrote:

Hi mate. Hope you are well. Great to have new blues from different corners of the globe.

Is football ever likely to even come close to cricket or even hockey for that matter? The more blues the merrier I reckon so keep on spreading the City love!

Long long post incoming. Filled with rambling.;-)

Football is already a lot more popular than Hockey here. Most urban youth will know a lot more about football than Hockey. Most can name quite a few good footballers like Messi, Conaldo and will have heard of some football teams as well. Not one can name a hockey player. I can't either.

Secondly football is easier to play than Hockey since you don't need much equipment. Many football tourneys were organised among school level in the city I live in, involving both school boys and school girls. The coverage received was outstanding and there was a large crowd in every match. There has been no local tourney for hockey like that here.

When Football becomes popular than Cricket depends on 2 factors: 1)Whether football can capture the heart of the nation like Cricket has. I am sure you know how crazy many Indians are after the likes of Sachin, Dravid, etc. Cricket is played everywhere, in every street corner, in every village farm. The day football is played everywhere will be the day, we can finally know that the Indian team will finally improve. For that atleast one Indian footballer will need to become an icon, probably a working class icon. Many attempts are being made to glamorize football, particularly with a tourney as the guy above mentioned, but I don't think that that will attract people to the game but more to the glamour.

2)Whether football becomes a viable "job". Most Indian footballers donot earn as much as cricketers and there is no financial security for a footballer who doesn't make it. Some companies run football clubs as a side wing of their business, generally not for profit but to serve the society by giving employment. However this is a limited approach. Football isn't profitable for companies, so they see no reason to develop infrastructure, popularize football or try to be competitive. If there is an IPL type money churning tourney where any person can play and create a career, parents would be more eager to let their kids play than send them to their rooms to study and get some degree.

However the PL has played a huge role in this regard. The people born in the 60s and 70s never had much exposure to football, since local games were rare and there were few tvs around. In the early 80s, we had Asian games in Delhi and color tvs became popular. However there would be only 2 or 3 channels controlled by the government. I think the only football matches shown were world cup games which probably explains Maradona's popularity here.

With privatisation in 1991 we started having private channels alongwith private sports channel and of course the PL was established at the same time. The TV boom has led to an entire generation of people starting from the 80s and onwards who have grown up watching football and are a lot lot more likely to see it as a career choice for their children.

On a final note, Indian football was good once. Apparently the national team was pretty good back in the 50s, qualified for the 1950 world cup but didn't play because they didn't want to play with shoes. Maybe history would have been different if the team had played and probably performed some heroic act and become popular. Fooballers once earned more than cricketers but that changed with the national cricket team's successes in the 70s and in 1983.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby Clowncrete » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:43 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
cityfan india wrote:I'm from India where it is still widely believed that manchester has only one club ( the rags).

Welcome!

Out of interest, what proportion of 'typical' Indian football fans watch the Premier League? Is it seen by most as more or less important than the Champions' League? Also, how many Premier League clubs would the average 'typical fan' be able to name? Are football followers aware of the Venky's/Blackburn fiasco, and, if so, what do they think of it?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm genuinely interested; India is such a big country, but people never really think of it in footballing terms (at least not until Argentina played a friendly over there a couple of years ago).

I think the CL and PL are watched in almost equal proportion. When Indians watch the CL, they only watch it to watch a few teams like the top 4 in England, the big 2 in Spain, Bayern. A handful of people follow a couple of Serie A clubs. Any match like Atletico Madrid vs PSG is unlikely to be watched as much as Rags or Chelsea vs any average team even if the former match would likely be more mouth-watering. Since the PL matches are played every week, the PL has an advantage. Also, the timings of PL games are very convenient while for CL games, any watcher has to be up till 3 in the morning on a weekday. An indictment of Pl's popularity: More casual watchers have heard of Liverpool and the likes of Gerrard than people have heard of Dormund and the likes of Reus, even though one plays in the CL and the other not.

For City, winning both the CL and PL is important, I would argue. The CL is seen as the pinnacle while the PL is hugely popular. The recent win over Bayern made many people stand up and talk about City. But moments like Aguerooooo also boosts City's popularity. I can't explain how huge these moments will be as more youngsters grow up watching City achieve success in the future.

The people who watch football regularly know about City and know about "behind the scenes players" like Kompany, Toure, Zaba, etc. while casual watchers will probably recognise only more conspicuous ones like Silva and Aguero. Most casual fans unfortunately know more about the previous "big 4" than about City, although most will be hard-pressed to answer if asked to even name 5 players from each team.
The media focus has changed in recent years. Till almost 2010, the likes of Liverpool would have their matches shown instead of City but after the title win, this has changed and City games are almost as regular as Chelsea and Arsenal.
The rags are hugely popular and after talking with some rag-lovers, I discovered that most are pretty much brain-washed by media. Most talk about how they like Manure because they bounced back from the Munich disaster blah blah blah. Having a hugely popular player like Beckscum in the past added to this.

No, casual fans know nothing about Blackburn and Venky's. They pretty much know nothing about stuff like ffp, Glazers or FSG, football finances, etc. It's only about players like Aguero, Ozil, Shrek, etc for them.
The more keen followers know about it and there is a sort of amazement/sadness at their stupidity in ruining a decent club as well as throwing their own money down the drain by destroying the club. I still don't understand why they bought the club. It wouldn't have helped them in any manner financially and definitely wouldn't benefit Indian football. They could have started their own club here and spent the money better by creating some proper facilities and a world-class stadium and/or academy.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:04 pm

bayblue wrote:
Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:<null>

Yep, it was Palace at home right at the start of the season in mid week.
Family got v excited as Tommy Booth scored, who was seen as a local lad to us. Think Franny Lee got a couple and we won 4 nil but can't remember who got the other.

It was my first year going, also. First game was 3-3 against the rags, Lee, Bell and Summerbee scored.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby john@staustell » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:35 am

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
bayblue wrote:

Family got v excited as Tommy Booth scored, who was seen as a local lad to us. Think Franny Lee got a couple and we won 4 nil but can't remember who got the other.

It was my first year going, also. First game was 3-3 against the rags, Lee, Bell and Summerbee scored.

Vaguely remember. Those were the days before the fixtures were programmed by SKY!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:19 am

john@staustell wrote:
Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
bayblue wrote:

Vaguely remember. Those were the days before the fixtures were programmed by SKY!

Yep, 3pm kick-off on a Saturday!
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby maarlon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:44 pm

Hi, I write a football blog called The Yellow Card Football Blog (yellowcardfootballblog.weebly.com) and my first article was written yesterday asking the question of who is better: Negredo or Aguero? Please take a look, Thanks.
maarlon
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Crystal Palace

Postby mikersys » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:14 am

American fan here. From Columbus,Ohio. Go to Uni in Athens, Ohio. Been a City fan since 2003ish because my both parents are from Manchester. Mum's side are all rags. Dad has been a City fan since about 4 years old. His story on becoming a City fan is pretty good.

I got sick of people in the States saying " Oh Manchester? You must be a Manchester United fan!", so I followed my dad. Nowadays our conversations consist almost purely of City, and finally when I see people in public with City gear they actually recognize it (Thank you Fifa video games). My first City game was City v Wigan in the league and we lost 1-0 in the most boring game. It's amazing to see City buy an MLS team, and then to continue by buying Melbourne Hearts. Can't wait to see the future for City as it has already surpassed my dreams.

My favorite City moment in hindsight may be seeing that dic* Joey Barton get sent off for QPR in the last game of the season which ultimately led to our first League Championship in years.

P.S. I'm slowly convincing my dad to join!

-Mike
mikersys
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

My favourite player is: Kompany

Postby Burt » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:55 am

mikersys wrote:American fan here. From Columbus,Ohio. Go to Uni in Athens, Ohio. Been a City fan since 2003ish because my both parents are from Manchester. Mum's side are all rags. Dad has been a City fan since about 4 years old. His story on becoming a City fan is pretty good.

I got sick of people in the States saying " Oh Manchester? You must be a Manchester United fan!", so I followed my dad. Nowadays our conversations consist almost purely of City, and finally when I see people in public with City gear they actually recognize it (Thank you Fifa video games). My first City game was City v Wigan in the league and we lost 1-0 in the most boring game. It's amazing to see City buy an MLS team, and then to continue by buying Melbourne Hearts. Can't wait to see the future for City as it has already surpassed my dreams.

My favorite City moment in hindsight may be seeing that dic* Joey Barton get sent off for QPR in the last game of the season which ultimately led to our first League Championship in years.

-Mike

Welcome Mikey fella. There are quite a few septics on here so you should feel at home right away:o)
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:59 am

mikersys wrote:American fan here. From Columbus,Ohio. Go to Uni in Athens, Ohio. Been a City fan since 2003ish because my both parents are from Manchester. Mum's side are all rags. Dad has been a City fan since about 4 years old. His story on becoming a City fan is pretty good.

-Mike

Nice opening Post Mike and being a City fan is in the genes, obviously the RAG genes are the dark side so be a blue you will!

Get your old man to join up, he will enjoy it if he jumps in, loads of posters from USA and Mancunia on here so he will have the best of both worlds :-)
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Sparklehorse » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:39 pm

Patrick wrote:Just joined the site? Been lurking but never posted? Been a member for ages but no one talks to you? Then introduce yourselves here! How you found the site, how you became a city fan, your greatest memory of supporting city.... It's all stuff we enjoy hearing so say hello and let us know your story.....

Hi all, I've been reading for some time the highly entertaining, often extremely well written, funny and sometimes near the knuckle articles and taken the plunge and joined in.
I've been a Man City fan from about 4 years old (I'm now 52) when according to my mum I was watching football on TV and it must have been MC playing and apparently became obsessed with Francis Lee and Colin Bell and the club have been in my soul ever since.
We've had our ups and downs but my passion has never diminished even in our darkest days. I was born in Stoke on Trent and after roaming about a bit have been living in Swansea for 25 years or so and I have to say have a bit of a soft spot for the Swans !!!
Two great memories stand out, the Gillingham play off final and of course the Aguero goal ( which I have watched about a thousand times).
I'm very excited by the current set up and City have never played quite like this, not that I can remember anyway.
Chelsea tomorrow .......come on !!
Looking forward to some healthy banter with you all.
Sparklehorse
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: All of them

Postby gazmancity » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:22 pm

Hello fellow Blues,

I've been reading this board for what feels like forever, but if pressed is actually about 8-9 years. I actually played for Man City as a youth, training at Platt Lane during the clubs demise from the premier league to the third tier of English football. I was at York away but stood in the home end when we hit rock bottom.

I took city on as my team in 1994 due to playing for them, my dads a Dunfermline fan so I'm thankful I didn't follow him in supporting a Scottish team!!

Anyways I've decided to start posting, I have a season ticket in the East stand and am on this site (lurking) almost as much as I'm reading stuff for work.

Put simply Man City is my life, and like life you have to take the highs and lows

Cheers

Gaz
gazmancity
Negouai's Red Cards

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:08 pm

gazmancity wrote:Hello fellow Blues,

I've been reading this board for what feels like forever, but if pressed is actually about 8-9 years. I actually played for Man City as a youth, training at Platt Lane during the clubs demise from the premier league to the third tier of English football. I was at York away but stood in the home end when we hit rock bottom.

I took city on as my team in 1994 due to playing for them, my dads a Dunfermline fan so I'm thankful I didn't follow him in supporting a Scottish team!!

Anyways I've decided to start posting, I have a season ticket in the East stand and am on this site (lurking) almost as much as I'm reading stuff for work.

Put simply Man City is my life, and like life you have to take the highs and lows

Cheers

Gaz

Welcome Gaz, nice to have you on board
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby toprankin » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:53 pm

New to the board, but long time fan. Born and bred Manchester and long time season ticket holder, until my job took me away from town all the time. Now London based but try to make as many games as possible. Earliest memory - decorating my folks' house with blue and white streamers for the 81 cup final .... and then again for the replay. At 10 years old, an early introduction into what it was going to be like growing up a blue .... Too many memories since then to record here, but still as blue as ever. Biggest sadness now is not getting to as many games as I used to. But still buzzing today from yesterday's trip to Wembley.
toprankin
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby Slim » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:00 am

toprankin wrote:New to the board, but long time fan. Born and bred Manchester and long time season ticket holder, until my job took me away from town all the time. Now London based but try to make as many games as possible. Earliest memory - decorating my folks' house with blue and white streamers for the 81 cup final .... and then again for the replay. At 10 years old, an early introduction into what it was going to be like growing up a blue .... Too many memories since then to record here, but still as blue as ever. Biggest sadness now is not getting to as many games as I used to. But still buzzing today from yesterday's trip to Wembley.

Mase will be round shortly.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Burt » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:03 am

toprankin wrote:New to the board, but long time fan. Born and bred Manchester and long time season ticket holder, until my job took me away from town all the time. Now London based but try to make as many games as possible. Earliest memory - decorating my folks' house with blue and white streamers for the 81 cup final .... and then again for the replay. At 10 years old, an early introduction into what it was going to be like growing up a blue .... Too many memories since then to record here, but still as blue as ever. Biggest sadness now is not getting to as many games as I used to. But still buzzing today from yesterday's trip to Wembley.

Welcome aboard Blue. It myst be lovely stickin it up them rag twats darrrrn sarf these days:o)
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Footy Ramblers » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:51 pm

Ok, so we're new to this and for some reason we can't post a new topic (grrr)!!

But we have something we think you City fans we loved, remember Natalie Pike, used to be an ex FHM model and now is a presenter for MCFC?! We interviewed her...she's hot, clever, witty and even has banter! Perfect woman? Check this out!!

[youtube]JApEmAaNEGc[/youtube]

Thanks! If you want to let us know what you think, why not follow us on Twitter & send us a tweet HERE: https://twitter.com/FootyRamblers

Enjoy!
Footy Ramblers
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Neutral

Postby hateutd » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:57 pm

Citizen,since early1980's..... and love to hate the rugs.....!!!!!!!

Last edited by hateutd on Sat May 02, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hateutd
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: NeiL McNab

Postby FootballAidMan12 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:09 pm

Football Aid 2014 – Bid to Play at The Etihad Stadium!

How would you like the chance to Bid to Play at the Etihad Stadium alongside a Manchester City Legend before taking part in a 90 min match on the hallowed turf?

Well now's your chance as Manchester City FC have once again joined forces with Football Aid - http://www.footballaid.com - to give fans the opportunity to Live the Dream at the Etihad in 2014 and raise valuable funds for charity at the same time.

Football Aid offers City fans the unique opportunity to experience a matchday in the same way the likes of Yaya Touré, Sergio Agüero, Vincent Kompany and co do every other week. Players will gain exclusive access to the pitch and tunnel areas, pull on their own personalised shirt in the official changing rooms, walk down the tunnel to the sound of a cheering crowd and step out on the pitch and represent City in a never to be forgotten 90 minutes of football!

To add to that, the matches at The Etihad Stadium have also been supported by a host of fantastic City Legends in recent years, with the likes of Andy Hinchcliffe, Paul Simpson, Colin Hendry, Richard Edgehill and Ian Brightwell (and many more) all lending their extra special support by playing alongside or managing the fans on their big day.

Positions are now available in our Auction Bidding and securing a position couldn’t be easier, just visit http://www.footballaid.com and choose the Manchester City game and then you’ll have two options: Option 1: Bid to Play – Enter your Maximum Bid and if you're the highest bidder when the position closes you'll win your place on your Field of Dreams, or Option 2: Buy Now – Close the auction early and secure your place with a one off payment online. Positions close at regular intervals until Tue 12th March and opening Bids start from just £170.

So if you're keen to secure a place on your Field of Dreams this season, why not visit http://www.footballaid.com and sign up today! Alternatively if you’d like any additional information, you can call Football Aid on tel: 0131 220 5999, e-mail: info@footballaid.com, post on their Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/footballaid or send a tweet to [tweet]@FootballAid[/tweet].

Since forming in 2001 Football Aid have allowed over 14,000 football fans the chance to Live the Dream in 535 charity matches all over the UK. The unique concept was the brainchild of businessman and Football Aid Chairman Craig Paterson and funds raised from this year's events will benefit the work of a charitable project nominated by City in the Community, as well as projects nominated by Football Aid’s parent charity Field of Dreams.
FootballAidMan12
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

My favourite player is: mario balotelli

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum