Will Torres ever regain form?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Will Torres ever regain form?

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:11 am

Reminds me of Fowler. Kept thinking he just needed to get one somehow and he'd go on a run but it never happened. Torres doesn't seem as quick or sharp as he was and mentally he's gone. A few goals might sort his head but physically it won't come back.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Blue In Bolton » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:14 am

You would have to say at the moment it was a great bit of business by the Racists. Then again you have to consider that they paid £35 million of the £50 million received on Carroll and think the opposite!!
Blue In Bolton
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David White

Postby PeterParker » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:59 am

Chad wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
bigblue wrote:He was in form and world class for 2-3 years, and now it's been almost 2 years that he's been woeful. If you combine his overall career, he probably comes out average.

Genuinely curious: Can you think of another player who has been so shit for multiple years to actually return to being world class?

Maybe Ronaldo (the real one). He was incredible at Barcelona, then shite with injuries at Inter and then again world class at Madrid.

Yeah 49 goals in 68 Inter games is a really shite record...

He scored 30 goals in the last season, after 4 years when he scored 19 times and most times he was injured. Cuper came to Inter, he went with Ronaldp to see Marijana Kovacevic and then presto, his fitness problems were over. His last season at them and the World Cup made Madrid buy him. So yes, 4 years he was shite.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:13 am

Did him and Aguerro ever play much together for Atletico?
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Blue Blood » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:30 am

No.

Main reason imo, he's lost, due to all the hamstring injury's, the 5 yard lethal burst of pace he once had, it's something you just don't get back and he misses it, it was the absolute key to his game.

He has to either evolve his game (ala Micheal Owen), move abroad or just die a miserable death at Chelsea, trying to reclaim the player he once was.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby Original Dub » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:10 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:Did him and Aguerro ever play much together for Atletico?

No. As far as I know, he was signed to replace Torres. Or at least signed in anticipation of torres leaving.
Original Dub

Postby Dubciteh » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:21 pm

Where does all the torres hate come from? Not from city fans i mean just in general, everyone seems to dislike him and love to see him fail. I dont mind him, i was dissapointed we didnt get him last jan instead of dzecko but in hindsight im glad we didnt. He is not finished and once chelsea buy some players to suit his attributes he will be fine. Chelsea in general though at the moment are a mess.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:26 pm

Dubciteh wrote:Where does all the torres hate come from? Not from city fans i mean just in general, everyone seems to dislike him and love to see him fail. I dont mind him, i was dissapointed we didnt get him last jan instead of dzecko but in hindsight im glad we didnt. He is not finished and once chelsea buy some players to suit his attributes he will be fine. Chelsea in general though at the moment are a mess.

I like him as a player, likeable person who has incredible ability. Don't think it's 'hate' as such, It's just funny that they payed 50 million for him and he's scored about 3 goals in a year.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby john68 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:33 pm

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:Actually, if you watch him his form at the moment is pretty good. Granted he's not as great as he once was as the goals have dried up but he's still a very good player.

john68 wrote:Who cares?

I know, making a topic about a footballer on a football forum, what was he thinking?! Slag off some journalists instead ffs!

You got it dead right Mate...Keep agreeing with me and you toocan be a genius...:-)
In honesty, Torres used to be a threat. Now he is largely irrelevent.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby BarryBurse » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:27 pm

He has been playing better, but the Torres we knew at Liverpool will never be the same at Chelsea. I think he should go to Spain.
BarryBurse
Carlo Nash's Debut

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby sheblue » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:17 pm

no he wont bot at chelsea anyway.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Mike J » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:20 pm

yes and i wish it was with city.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Hazy2 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:23 pm

Mike J wrote:yes and i wish it was with city.

I agree he is getting there the overhead was confirmation he needs to Join us and let the goals flow.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby bigblue » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:32 pm

Hazy2 wrote:

I agree he is getting there the overhead was confirmation he needs to Join us and let the goals flow.

So one overhead kick (that he doesn't even score) is confirmation of his ability?! A hat trick would be confirmation of his ability not an almost goal....

People defending him are stuck in the past. Until he can score AT LEAST 2 games in a row or 2 goals in a game (not even that hard for a 50 mil player), he will still be shit.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Hazy2 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:39 pm

bigblue wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

So one overhead kick (that he doesn't even score) is confirmation of his ability?! A hat trick would be confirmation of his ability not an almost goal....

People defending him are stuck in the past. Until he can score AT LEAST 2 games in a row or 2 goals in a game (not even that hard for a 50 mil player), he will still be shit.

Torres is in poor form 100%, he is still a class act give him the role that suits him with Sergio and Silva for example, he would a sensation in my opinion, he just needs to leave Chelsea and wankers like Terry Arsehole and Divebar.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby bigblue » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
bigblue wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

Torres is in poor form 100%, he is still a class act give him the role that suits him with Sergio and Silva for example, he would a sensation in my opinion, he just needs to leave Chelsea and wankers like Terry Arsehole and Divebar.

Torres should score with the quality around him at Chelsea, no excuses. I don't buy into the train of thought that a good striker needs the team to play into his style. If he is really a good striker he should score with a team of international level players around him. Same as Andy Carroll. Put Torres in the Darlington team and he should still score. The label "World class" doesn't come with an asterisk as in: Torres is world class*

*If playing in a team that suits his style, with agreeable teammates, and who deliver him promising balls in dangerous areas

Bollox, if he's good he should score with the talent Chelsea have
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:24 am

bigblue wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
bigblue wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

Torres should score with the quality around him at Chelsea, no excuses. I don't buy into the train of thought that a good striker needs the team to play into his style. If he is really a good striker he should score with a team of international level players around him. Same as Andy Carroll. Put Torres in the Darlington team and he should still score. The label "World class" doesn't come with an asterisk as in: Torres is world class*

*If playing in a team that suits his style, with agreeable teammates, and who deliver him promising balls in dangerous areas

Bollox, if he's good he should score with the talent Chelsea have

Defoe missed an open net from 6 inches, fine margins, Torres will come good, class is proven.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby kinkylola » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:29 pm

the issue of defoe's miss and torres' misses are totally different. Defoe has always been inconsistent. Torres was as consistent a finisher as you could ever wish for when he at liverpool. He was brought back too early from injury on several occasions by rafa because they were shit scared they couldn't do anything without him. They were right of course, but in doing that they ruined his career in England. I say in england because I believe 100% that he will need to leave england to regain any sort of form. Mentally and emotionally he is done here. Physically I believe he is back to fitness, but his confidence has taken such a knock that he needs a total reset of his situation to regain any kind of confidence. This is my opinion, but I believe that doing so requires a total change in lifestyle, which includes where you are plying your trade. He will go to spain or italy and he will regain the confidence he lost. He will never return to england, he is lost to the prem.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby phips » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:45 pm

well, he's scored more this season than Dzeko, Aguero, and Tevez....so...
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Green & Blue » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:41 pm

I think he is doing reasonably well at Chelsea although he is far from the prolific goalscorer of old he does provide a good overall contribution at Chelsea.

He may have scored a few this season but his scoring seems patchy to say the least he only recently came off a 19 game barren spell when he found the net against Steaua Bucharest.

I do admit I find myself rooting for him willing him on to score think it has something to do with the crap he receives from the rags.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

My favourite player is: David Silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum