Balotelli versus Benteke

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Balotelli versus Benteke

Postby Spurge » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:23 am

I watched the first 45 mins of the WBA v Villa game yesterday evening and couldn't help but be impressed by Benteke.

He has just turned 22, less than 4 months older than Balotelli. We constantly hear that ballo is only young and he can learn, well he could learn from Benteke, who shows a maturity beyond his years, a determination and drive to 'just get on with it' preferring to use his strength and desire to play the game to get the most out if it.

Compare this to balotelli who continually spends time on the deck rather than hold off a challenge and use his talent to spin off his marker get his head down and play. Throwing a 'hissy fit' when things dont go his way and walking a tight rope between a silly second booking all too often.

Ballo has talent, I'm not denying that, but the 'he will learn he is still young' argument (or excuse depending on your view point) doesn't stack up when compared to Benteke, who is a real handful and proven goalscorer in a struggling side in the same league at the same age.

I know who I'd rather have....
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Re: Balotelli versus Benteke

Postby london blue 2 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:50 am

You're spot on. The balotelli world class potential is a myth IMO. We tend to over hype our own players. Benteke is a quality young striker with great potential. Mario is a comedian in a football kit.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:51 am

london blue 2 wrote:You're spot on. The balotelli world class potential is a myth IMO. We tend to over hype our own players. Benteke is a quality young striker with great potential. Mario is a comedian in a football kit.

Hate to say it, but he's brilliant self promoter like Beckham.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby lovecity8utd » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:14 am

What about comparing balotelli to lukaku? Younger still and is looking a great player.
lovecity8utd
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

My favourite player is: City's 11

Postby twosips » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:20 am

Benteke has been woeful for the past however many game... but scored a good goal today but so what? I personally doubt he'll ever even reach someone like Defoe's level of ability.

Lukaku though - that's a good shout.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Mase » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:41 am

Another thread dissing a City player....
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:52 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:You're spot on. The balotelli world class potential is a myth IMO. We tend to over hype our own players. Benteke is a quality young striker with great potential. Mario is a comedian in a football kit.

Hate to say it, but he's brilliant self promoter like Beckham.

Beckham is a good comparison. Imo Mario has the same natural power to strike a ball. That natural power, plus hours and hours of dailly practice, allowed Beckham to become an asset; he could cross a ball, shoot & take free kicks & his natural kicking power made that easier for him than some other players.

Mario has twice the alround ability; is faster, better in the air, better 1v1 & has the same, or more power in a shot.

Beckham stayed behind every day, hour after hour, perfecting shots, crosses & free kicks.

Mario can earn £200k pw without bothering, nobody makes him do it, so he goes & plays with his train set instead.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Michael Brookes » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:02 pm

when villa are woeful benteke looks pants.

When villa play well Benteke looks like a real player.

My conclusion Benteke is a good player in a bad team, and that over a season benteke would score more goals for us than Balotelli would
Michael Brookes
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Postby sidSmith » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:30 pm

What a bullshit thread. This player bashing just makes you all sound like clowns. Wobble your fucking heads.
sidSmith
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:36 pm

sidSmith wrote:What a bullshit thread. This player bashing just makes you all sound like clowns. Wobble your fucking heads.

Why not start a thread on some subject you would like to discuss ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Spurge » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:53 pm

sidSmith wrote:What a bullshit thread. This player bashing just makes you all sound like clowns. Wobble your fucking heads.

Well if you bothered to think about it or even read it properly you might discover the point I'm making. Ballo is a talent as I stated, he hasn't grown up yet (neither have you by the sound of it) but Benteke has an attitude which, if Ballo were to adopt would improve his game no end.

See if you can come back with a more intelligent response than your last one
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Spurge » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:56 pm

Mase wrote:Another thread dissing a City player....

It's a thread comapring a talented young player with a poor attitude to a talented young player with a good attitude. I make no apologies if it's the City player that I'm suggesting has the poor attitude
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Mase » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Spurge wrote:
It's a thread comapring a talented young player with a poor attitude to a talented young player with a good attitude. I make no apologies if it's the City player that I'm suggesting has the poor attitude

"Compare this to balotelli who continually spends time on the deck rather than hold off a challenge and use his talent to spin off his marker get his head down and play. Throwing a 'hissy fit' when things dont go his way and walking a tight rope between a silly second booking all too often."

I've just watched goals on Sunday and it showed your man fall over for the WBA equaliser and get up slowly and not bother to get back in the mix.

We have the media to bash our players. Do we need to do it as fans ourselves, especially when everything has been said about Balo over and over and over again?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Spurge » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:15 pm

Mase wrote:
Spurge wrote:

"Compare this to balotelli who continually spends time on the deck rather than hold off a challenge and use his talent to spin off his marker get his head down and play. Throwing a 'hissy fit' when things dont go his way and walking a tight rope between a silly second booking all too often."

I've just watched goals on Sunday and it showed your man fall over for the WBA equaliser and get up slowly and not bother to get back in the mix.

We have the media to bash our players. Do we need to do it as fans ourselves, especially when everything has been said about Balo over and over and over again?

Sounds like you watch goals on Sunday as selectively as you read threads. 'My man' as you refer to him was pushed over by the wba player in the box - he had no chance of getting up in time to effect the play after that.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:20 pm

So far Benteke looks the business but let's see how he goes once the prem defences get wise to him. He has a superb shot, strong in the air,quick and physically very strong but I am not sure yet he has enough finesse to really do it consistently at the top level.

Mario is much the same ( not sure about the physically strong part as he doesn't seem to have a clue how to use his strength) and we are still waiting for that talent to be consistently shown at City.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby TheGOAT » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:26 pm

Mase wrote:

There is a reason why it is said over and over again.
TheGOAT
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Postby sidSmith » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:50 pm

Spurge wrote:
Well if you bothered to think about it or even read it properly you might discover the point I'm making. Ballo is a talent as I stated, he hasn't grown up yet (neither have you by the sound of it) but Benteke has an attitude which, if Ballo were to adopt would improve his game no end.

Ooooh, a challenge. I must rise to the bait and prove myself to be as mature and as intelligent as meets your approval?!?

You're buying into the rag press and ballo's position at city has become untenable. The press, the fans that bash him and Mancini using him as his scapegoat, have created this position. Yes, his attitude could be better, but you're comparing the number 3/4 striker from the champions, a player who the world admired during the Euros, to a player who happened to score a good goal for the side 5 points off the bottom.

There are many, many young players/strikers with a better attitude, although his getting upset at being kicked off the park, or not getting a decision is sometimes understandable...... Is your point simply, Ballo has a poor attitude compared to other young players?

You clearly think having Benteke over Ballo would improve out squad, I disagree and I think that continuing to bash Ballo is only going to feed the media with what they want.

It's not a debate we, the fans, should be having. You could have just started a thread about how good you think Benteke is, the Ballo bashing was unnecessary.

Keep wobbling.
sidSmith
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:44 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:So far Benteke looks the business but let's see how he goes once the prem defences get wise to him. He has a superb shot, strong in the air,quick and physically very strong but I am not sure yet he has enough finesse to really do it consistently at the top level.

Mario is much the same ( not sure about the physically strong part as he doesn't seem to have a clue how to use his strength) and we are still waiting for that talent to be consistently shown at City.

Spot on, Mr H.

Benteke might prove to be merely a temporary wonder, perhaps like Papisse Cisse at Newcastle, last season.

Be interesting to see if any 'top' clubs come in for him in the summer and the price he might command, if they do.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Michael Brookes » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:49 pm

a straight up comparison between the two:

I believe both players would produce pretty much the same if you were to swap them.. i.e. Balotelli playing week in week out for villa would IMO produce about the same as what Benteke will for villa. If I was pushed I'd even argue that Benteke would outscore Balotelli or at least edge it on performances.

Benteke having the same chance at City as Balotelli, would IMO, over a season contribute more in terms of performances and goals although most definitely not in terms of headlines and sold shirts.

Fair comparison IMO as both have the same potential... I obviously do not buy into the "it's obvious he will become world class if he applies himself" chat the media and Mancini promote. Given everything we've seen so far he's a "decent" player and therefore ability should be compared against the likes of Benteke et al.
Michael Brookes
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Postby Spurge » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:56 pm

sidSmith wrote:
Spurge wrote:

Ooooh, a challenge. I must rise to the bait and prove myself to be as mature and as intelligent as meets your approval?!?

You're buying into the rag press and ballo's position at city has become untenable. The press, the fans that bash him and Mancini using him as his scapegoat, have created this position. Yes, his attitude could be better, but you're comparing the number 3/4 striker from the champions, a player who the world admired during the Euros, to a player who happened to score a good goal for the side 5 points off the bottom.

There are many, many young players/strikers with a better attitude, although his getting upset at being kicked off the park, or not getting a decision is sometimes understandable...... Is your point simply, Ballo has a poor attitude compared to other young players?

You clearly think having Benteke over Ballo would improve out squad, I disagree and I think that continuing to bash Ballo is only going to feed the media with what they want.

It's not a debate we, the fans, should be having. You could have just started a thread about how good you think Benteke is, the Ballo bashing was unnecessary.

Keep wobbling.

Well you've entered into the debate this time in a more constructive fashion.

I used Benteke as a means of comparison for the following reasons

1) They are the same age
2) They are both strikers
3) They are both in the prem
4) They are both talented
5) I rate them both

Not just a young players scenario. I would take Benteke over Ballo right now, but in order to explain why, I highlighted the key difference between the two players as I see it, which was largely about attitude and desire.

If as a result of me highlighting the difference between the 2 players means that you view this as 'bashing one of our own' then thats unfortunate. I'd like to see Ballo show the same level of desire and self control as it would improve his game so much, he might even become the finished article - not many would argue otherwise, the coaching staff, Bobby and even the owners I'm sure would want this.

I am an admirer of Benteke it's true to say, 10 goals for the team you point out are struggling is an excellent return, his goal to game ratio may be pivotal in whether Villa stay up this season. I'm confident he will have a big future ahead of him, if he carries on in the same way as he is currently.

The rag press comment, c'mon don't insult my intelligence, I'm not the sort to be influenced by lazy meda/journos. As for not debating , why wouldn't we, thats what these forums are for mate, so if you don't like it don't come on here - think it's you who are wobbling mate, but it's interesting to hear your opinion all the same.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum