Fernandinho

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Fernandinho

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:16 pm

Given his age, I wonder if Guardiola sees Fernandhino dropping back into central defence, not necessarily straight away but at some point in the future, as a way of extending his career.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:59 am

Dameerto wrote:We'd lose more in midfield than we'd gain in defence by shifting him, it doesn't make sense to me.

I see that, but Ferna, has ran the show for 3 seasons ran miles covering, I think Pep sees a lot of himself in Ferna, He also converted Lahm into a CM player, dropping back when required. Martinez has learned to play DM with Bayers from Centre half position. When we lost Liverpool and the scum last season, I said it was down to shape, we had none when high pressing teams jump on us, CC final we sat back and countered a counter attack manager/Team. Txiki a great player in his day and all time Barca Great could be behind this after some of our arse kickings last season, which Pellers sat and watched
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby phips » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:09 am

watching him again today in his new role got me wondering:
who else do we have that can play that role? Fern will likely be rested and/or injured at some point. surely its not Yaya or Fernando. Delph? Gundogan? i can't see either of them being effective dropping back between the 2 center backs. or will we play differently when Fern is not in the side?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Mike J » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:33 am

I dont think we have any one who can do it. I actually think fern is the most underrated player in the prem. Delph has the energy but is now where near the level of fernandinho

The prospect of seeing him in midfield with gundogan is rather exciting
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:53 am

phips wrote:watching him again today in his new role got me wondering:
who else do we have that can play that role? Fern will likely be rested and/or injured at some point. surely its not Yaya or Fernando. Delph? Gundogan? i can't see either of them being effective dropping back between the 2 center backs. or will we play differently when Fern is not in the side?

I think we'll see City playing "differently" a number of times this season, irrespective of whether, or not, Fernandhino is in the side.

I suppose it will depend on who we are up against and things will be changed around to ensure that when the opposition think they've found a way to counteract our formation, Pep will alter/modify matters to ensure we continue to outflank them.

Mind you, that doesn't answer your question as to who will stand in for Fernandhino when he might not be available, but I'm sure Pep will have ideas and players in mind that we, as fans, would never consider. For instance, who's to say that Kolarov couldn't do this job, after we've already seen the way that Pep has galvanised that player in the few games so far.

I also seem to recall a suggestion that NottsBlue made in a post a short time ago, words to the effect that he thought, in the future, Stones would have a midfield role at some point. Pep might consider Stones for the Fernandhino role.

Who knows, but if we don't then the opposition most certainly don't know either.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby mr_nool » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:55 am

That's actually a very good question. Yaya could definitely do the dropping deep in the build-up phase and has frequently done so over the last few seasons. The problem is that he doesn't have the legs to close the opposition down if we lose possession and are hit on the break. Fernando has the legs, but not the composure or the passing game required.

I agree with Mike J that we don't have anyone that can do the same job to the same effect at the moment and will probably be forced to play another system if Fern1 is not available. That said, i expect us to deploy several different systems anyway. Pep is anything but predictable.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Dubciteh » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:58 am

Aleix Garcia? Id try him in the second leg, yaya could do it too...
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:00 am

Dubciteh wrote:

Aleix Garcia? Id try him in the second leg, yaya could do it too...

That's an interesting call about Garcia.

I'd like to see him, myself, in the second leg.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:07 am

Why can't you see Gundogan playing it? He's more than capable. He has superior passing and vision to Fernandinho imo, that's not a dig at Ferna btw.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:24 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:

Why can't you see Gundogan playing it? He's more than capable. He has superior passing and vision to Fernandinho imo, that's not a dig at Ferna btw.

do you reckon that could be why pep signed him?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:27 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:

That's what I thought but interested to hear why Phips isn't keen given he's likely watched him a lot more than I have.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:39 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:

That's what I thought but interested to hear why Phips isn't keen given he's likely watched him a lot more than I have.

phips is american, mate. my 23 month old daughter knows more about football than him.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby PrezIke » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:34 pm

Mike J wrote:I dont think we have any one who can do it. I actually think fern is the most underrated player in the prem. Delph has the energy but is now where near the level of fernandinho

Thing is who is going to the bench if we play them both?

Will one of them play at the inverted fullback role so they can push into centre midfield? Unless you plan to sit Silva or KDB, or have one of those two play out wide, where I suspect Pep prefers them not to be, and drop Nolito or Sterling or eventually Sane?

Tell you what. If we are fit team we sure have a lot of options.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby nottsblue » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:48 pm

PrezIke wrote:
Mike J wrote:I dont think we have any one who can do it. I actually think fern is the most underrated player in the prem. Delph has the energy but is now where near the level of fernandinho

Will one of them play at the inverted fullback role so they can push into centre midfield? Unless you plan to sit Silva or KDB, or have one of those two play out wide, where I suspect Pep prefers them not to be, and drop Nolito or Sterling or eventually Sane?

It will all depend on who we are playing and the formation/style of play Pep wishes to deploy in that particular match. Factors such as game management, rotation, injuries, trying out new tactics, suspensions and possible suspensions will all come into play. It will be a long season and there will be plenty of game time to go round.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Dubciteh » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:23 pm

Thinking about it, zaba could do that role easy.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID

Postby PrezIke » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:34 pm

Dubciteh wrote:Thinking about it, zaba could do that role easy.

He could, except I think the defensive midfielder needs to have enough pace to get back to when we lose the ball to other teams with pacey attackers.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby phips » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:04 pm

PrezIke wrote:

im thinking it's gotta be Nolito is everyone is fit. maybe Pep sees its differently and values the wide areas and would then be okay sacrificing Silva because Ilkay could do his role.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:23 pm

phips wrote:
PrezIke wrote:

im thinking it's gotta be Nolito is everyone is fit. maybe Pep sees its differently and values the wide areas and would then be okay sacrificing Silva because Ilkay could do his role.

Didn't Gundogan play as a deep lying playmaker for Dortmund? He filled Sahin's role, didn't he?

Anyhow, this is what Gundogan said that Pep said to him

"He told me that he needs a player like me as a central midfielder

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong but that suggests to me that he has him earmarked for the role Fernandinho is currently playing.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Wooders » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:33 pm

pep might have 4-2-4 in mind for certain games
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:34 pm

Wooders wrote:pep might have 4-2-4 in mind for certain games

Shades of Brazil (and Peru) circa 1970 !!

That would be interesting.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum