The Worldwide Commercial Enterprise Continues - 10 years on

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Worldwide Commercial Enterprise Continues - 8-9 year

Postby john@staustell » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:41 pm

Mafialand now done and added to City Group:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... lermo.html

Shame about the same old photo of the Sheik
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby patrickblue » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:20 pm

john@staustell wrote:Mafialand now done and added to City Group:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... lermo.html

Shame about the same old photo of the Sheik

Same old shit in the headlines with ELEVENTH in capitals.

Nasty old City, ruining football since 2008.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby patrickblue » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:23 pm

john68 wrote:I know that their is a prohibition in England that an owner or company of owners cannot own more that one English league club. I understand that rule is to stop any match fixing should those clubs meet.

How does that affect City? What happens if any of our European clubs gained such success that they had to play each other or City in a European competitive game?

Anyone know?

No idea, but you can guarantee that when it does it'll be all over the media, and not in a nice way.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:27 pm

patrickblue wrote:
john68 wrote:I know that their is a prohibition in England that an owner or company of owners cannot own more that one English league club. I understand that rule is to stop any match fixing should those clubs meet.

How does that affect City? What happens if any of our European clubs gained such success that they had to play each other or City in a European competitive game?

Anyone know?

No idea, but you can guarantee that when it does it'll be all over the media, and not in a nice way.

I think the strategy is , one way or another , to get a sister club in the final of a CL match so we win it.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Scatman » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:38 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
patrickblue wrote:

Anyone know?

I think the strategy is , one way or another , to get a sister club in the final of a CL match so we win it.

We'd both lose
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby john@staustell » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:27 am

Just noting that the crowd for the Club A match was half way decent 61,223. Also some story about the new away kit breaking all records (whether that's down to today's ludicrous prices..........).

I'm seem to remember when we first did the USA trips, the crowds were sometimes pitiful, compared to others who cannot be mentioned.

It seems, as the club has claimed, that worldwide awareness is going up and up all the time, even if Britain is still awash with Dipper/Rag bias.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:04 am

patrickblue wrote:

Anyone know?

They're studied on a case-by-case basis, with UEFA deciding whether there's too much of a conflict of interest. There's already precedent with RB Leipzig and RB Salzburg, and plenty was written about it at the time (although the majority of it is pure journalistic speculation, no doubt).

From how I understand it (although I may be mistaken), the study is conducted prior to the first season in which two clubs could meet, so if we were in the CL and another CFG club was in the Europa, it would be carried out. However, if we were in the CL, Palermo in the Europa League, and Troyes in the Conference League, there'd have to be a three-way analysis undertaken, centred around Palermo.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby PaulieIrish » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:43 pm

Very positive City article in Irish Indo for a change:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer ... 70621.html
PaulieIrish
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby john@staustell » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:11 am

Asaji beer from Japan. Coming into cfg. Or some of it - City, Melbourne, China and Yokohama. Replaces Heineken. Can't copy link from my phone.

I'm not optimistic about the taste but you never know
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby dazby » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:07 am

I'm a big fan. Good drop
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:42 am

john@staustell wrote:Asaji beer from Japan. Coming into cfg. Or some of it - City, Melbourne, China and Yokohama. Replaces Heineken. Can't copy link from my phone.

If Asahi beer were a Premier league side, it would probably be Norwich, if you catch my meaning.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby zuricity » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:35 pm

About to get a flight out of Zürich. Big Young lad coming out of the terminal , got the new City shirt on with Haarland on the back . He certainly isn't a manc .
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby john@staustell » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:20 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:
john@staustell wrote:Asaji beer from Japan. Coming into cfg. Or some of it - City, Melbourne, China and Yokohama. Replaces Heineken. Can't copy link from my phone.

If Asahi beer were a Premier league side, it would probably be Norwich, if you catch my meaning.

There you go, I can't even spell it after reading it 2 minutes before! looking forward to seeing it in Tesco :D
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:19 pm

john@staustell wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:

There you go, I can't even spell it after reading it 2 minutes before! looking forward to seeing it in Tesco :D

To be fair, you are a Spanish speaker, Johnno, and that's probably how they would spell it in Spain. ;)

It is a very average pint indeed. Please don't get your hopes up too much.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby john@staustell » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:40 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:

To be fair, you are a Spanish speaker, Johnno, and that's probably how they would spell it in Spain. ;)

Probably stick with the vino tinto.
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:11 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:

has anyone ever had a really decent pint at a football stadium?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:02 pm

Man City’s record-breaking summer of selling gives rivals even more to envy
Khaldoon Al Mubarak, Ferran Soriano
By Dan Sheldon
Aug 17, 2022

Manchester City are already setting the standard on the pitch this season, but are also likely to be the envy of their rivals off it.

As other Premier League sides struggle to offload players this summer, City can boast a Premier League record for revenues generated in a single transfer window, bucking a trend that is troubling clubs throughout the top tier of English football.

While the Abu Dhabi ownership has afforded them an elite manager in Pep Guardiola and many of the world’s best players, questions have been asked about the income they receive from commercial deals, and the Premier League has been investigating the club over financial fair play since 2019.

This summer, however, is an important step in City’s drive for sustained growth, on and off the pitch.

Chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak sets the strategy which is then carried out by Txiki Begiristain, the director of football; Ferran Soriano, the chief executive; and Omar Berrada, the club’s chief operating officer.

Their ability to sell while others struggle is a testament to clever recruitment, including signing players at the right time.

Manchester United, for example, signed Cristiano Ronaldo, aged 37, last summer to solve their goalscoring issues.

City, on the other hand, added Erling Haaland, then 21, to their squad this summer in a transfer worth £51million ($61.7m). One player — should they stay injury free and perform as everyone expects — will have significant sell-on value in several years, while the other will be retired.

Haaland joined City for £51million (Photo: Matt McNulty – Manchester City/Manchester City FC via Getty Images)
The Haaland-Ronaldo example serves to highlight how City have been targeting the correct players at the perfect moment, which in turn leads to record revenue.

Two of the most eye-catching outgoings this summer were Raheem Sterling’s £47.5million switch to Chelsea and Gabriel Jesus’ £45million move to Arsenal.

It was felt internally that this summer could prove to be fruitful in terms of sales due to such players coming to the natural end of their cycle at City — and because they were standout names, there was always going to be a market for them.

There is also a willingness on the club’s behalf to negotiate and work with other teams to find a mutually agreeable deal. It does not matter whether it is Southampton or Chelsea, for example.
Both Sterling and Jesus had a year remaining on their City contracts and had been at the club for several years; seven in Sterling’s case and six in Jesus’.

The £45million fee received for the Brazilian striker, who initially joined for £27million, represented a notable profit. They essentially recouped the £49million transfer fee it took to prise Sterling away from Liverpool in 2015.

And although they would have paid the England international a tidy sum over the past seven years, City won four Premier League titles, one FA Cup, five League Cups, one Community Shield and finished runners-up in the 2020-21 Champions League final in that time.

While neither Sterling nor Jesus were guaranteed starters under Guardiola — not many are due to the talent pool at City — it could easily have been viewed as a risk by selling them to a Premier League rival.

But there is absolute confidence in what the club are doing, the success they are enjoying, and how they can remain on top while hitting the recruitment sweet spot.

As well as Jesus, Arsenal completed the signing of Oleksandr Zinchenko from City in a £32million deal. Those two transfers to Arsenal alone were worth £77million to City.

Gabriel Jesus has started well this season for Arsenal (Photo: Adrian Dennis/AFP via Getty Images)
What is possibly more impressive, though, is how they have managed to sell players for good money who are yet to register a Premier League appearance.

Southampton committed themselves to spending £29million on two academy graduates, goalkeeper Gavin Bazunu and midfielder Romeo Lavia. Bazunu joined for an initial £12million (rising to £15million) and Lavia cost £10.5million (rising to £14million).

City also inserted buy-back and sell-on clauses into both contracts in a move that keeps them protected if the two players turn out to be brilliant. The club turned down a £16million offer from Southampton for Liam Delap.

Another academy player to depart was Darko Gyabi, who joined Leeds United in a deal worth around £5million. Between Gyabi, Bazunu and Lavia, City raised £34million for three players who had not played in the Premier League.

All three players were unlikely to feature this season and City can say Haaland’s £51million fee is on its way to being covered by academy sales.

Pedro Porro has been sold to Sporting Lisbon for £7million, Ko Itakura moved to Borussia Monchengladbach in a £5million deal, while goalkeeper Arijanet Muric joined Burnley for £3million.

In total, and including potential add-ons, it takes City’s summer of sales to a combined £167million. Their previous highest was £82million in 2017-18.

Taking the figures from Transfermarkt for their summer outgoings since they were bought by Abu Dhabi Investment Group in September 2008, the below table highlights each window’s sales:

“In part, I’m a little bit sad that these important players have gone, but it’s a business, it’s good for the club,” remarked Guardiola. “For the image of the club, always we buy, buy, buy, (but) always we sell. We sell important players for big, big money. For the club, it’s good.”

While City have been able to flourish in this context, others are struggling.

Manchester United have managed to sell only Andreas Pereira to Fulham in this window and still have a bloated squad that requires trimming.

Chelsea sold Timo Werner back to RB Leipzig for a loss and have loaned out Malang Sarr to Monaco, who have an obligation to buy him next summer.

Given their status as the best two teams in England, Liverpool, like City, have had a relatively good summer. Neco Williams joined Nottingham Forest in a £17million deal, Sadio Mane was sold to Bayern Munich for £35million, and they made a notable profit on Takumi Minamino when he was sold to Monaco for £15million.

Brighton will certainly feel they have had as good a summer as any in terms of generating sales, receiving £62million from Chelsea for Marc Cucurella and £25million from Tottenham Hotspur for Yves Bissouma.

Yves Bissouma swapped Brighton for Spurs (Photo: Tottenham Hotspur FC/Tottenham Hotspur FC via Getty Images)
Elsewhere, though, Southampton have been unable to sell a single player despite wanting to part company with several. Leicester City are also struggling to offload members of their squad who are deemed surplus to requirement.

Sources working within football are lamenting a slow summer in terms of player sales, yet many point to City as evidence that it is possible.

It certainly helps to have a squad and academy blessed with an unbelievable array of talent, but convincing clubs to invest sizeable fees into relatively unknown quantities is impressive.

As Guardiola remarked: “Everyone can sell, (but) not everyone can do it.”
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Nick » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:28 pm

Imo asahi, as with moretti, estrella, Madri are just "exotic" lagers that taste the same as amstel etc but think it's worth a quid extra.

Kronenberg / paulaner > most other beers > carling/ fosters imo.

Had a duvel today and it was shit, but I had a few years back that was great.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby CTID Hants » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:20 pm

Nick wrote:Imo asahi, as with moretti, estrella, Madri are just "exotic" lagers that taste the same as amstel etc but think it's worth a quid extra.

Kronenberg / paulaner > most other beers > carling/ fosters imo.

Had a duvel today and it was shit, but I had a few years back that was great.

Nowt wrong with a pint of numbers, my daily nectar for 40 years now, was 78p a pint before it became 1664 instead of just Kronenberg when it jumped to 92p a pint! (except when on holiday).
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:30 am

johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal