The Worldwide Commercial Enterprise Continues - 10 years on

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Worldwide Commercial Enterprise Continues

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:12 pm

Scatman wrote:
city72 wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
edge275 wrote:Arsenal second? Sounds like fake news to me.

Debt seems to weigh heavily. Hence the RAGS are 7th. Arsenal don't have any and have very rich owners and pots of money. Which they don't use of course but it's all about potential.

Why would rags have so much money in the bank with such debts? It's like me having £100k in bank getting 0.5% interest and having a £100k mortgage getting charged 2.5% intrest!

", while only Manchester United have more money in the bank (£307m) than Arsenal's £300m."

How would they settle the milk bill/waste money on shit players if they used all their cash to pay off the mortgage?

Moreover, when the Glazers finally decide to pull out, before they do, they can transfer all the Scum's cash balances elsewhere to suit their own ends. Then, when they do pull out, there will only be debts at the Swamp, leaving the potential for the Club to capsize. They're only in it for the money.

It's all good stuff really.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby RodneyRodney » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 pm

Beautiful. Sounds like Leeds Utd. meets Gordon Gekko . Only worse. WHEN that happens , we'll have to stage a 3-day street party
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby zuricity » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:28 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Scatman wrote:
city72 wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
edge275 wrote:Arsenal second? Sounds like fake news to me.

Debt seems to weigh heavily. Hence the RAGS are 7th. Arsenal don't have any and have very rich owners and pots of money. Which they don't use of course but it's all about potential.

Why would rags have so much money in the bank with such debts? It's like me having £100k in bank getting 0.5% interest and having a £100k mortgage getting charged 2.5% intrest!

", while only Manchester United have more money in the bank (£307m) than Arsenal's £300m."

How would they settle the milk bill/waste money on shit players if they used all their cash to pay off the mortgage?

Moreover, when the Glazers finally decide to pull out, before they do, they can transfer all the Scum's cash balances elsewhere to suit their own ends. Then, when they do pull out, there will only be debts at the Swamp, leaving the potential for the Club to capsize. They're only in it for the money.

It's all good stuff really.

Wrong assumption there . No self respecting Chinese Businessman would get conned with that .

Similarly, no Oil rich person would inherit such debts.

Truth is, whatever their Market worth is, it is way too expensive to buy and get a decent ROI.

Their Stadium is due massive improvement that would force a drastic cut in their attendence ( it really is a shit hole under the stands trying to get a half time pint).

As Carrott says , „BMW, in the driveway and sod all in the fridge“.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:31 pm

Or, rather, a Kia Picanto on the driveway and "sod all" in the fridge.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:35 pm

I’d be happy with a decent ROI in my lifetime.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:37 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:I’d be happy with a decent ROI in my lifetime.

A noisy French Monarch ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby City64 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:40 pm

Rusty Old Iron ?
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:43 pm

City64 wrote:

Rusty Old Iron ?

That’s what’s in the coffers alright.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby City64 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:49 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
City64 wrote:

Rusty Old Iron ?

That’s what’s in the coffers alright.

Haha .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC

Postby zuricity » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:21 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Or, rather, a Kia Picanto on the driveway and "sod all" in the fridge.

Isn’t Kia an Orange juice drink from New Zealand ?
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:37 pm

zuricity wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Or, rather, a Kia Picanto on the driveway and "sod all" in the fridge.

Perhaps I should have said a Chevrolet instead and left William of Orange to consider New Zealand ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby zuricity » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:48 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
zuricity wrote:

Perhaps I should have said a Chevrolet instead and left William of Orange to consider New Zealand ??

good job you chose GM’s Chevrolet and not a Pontiac , that would be racist....

or is a Kia Picanto a pasta dish ?
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:11 pm

zuricity wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
zuricity wrote:

good job you chose GM’s Chevrolet and not a Pontiac , that would be racist....

or is a Kia Picanto a pasta dish ?

I once drove a Kia Picanto as a courtesy car.......uuuggghhh, never again. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby PaulieIrish » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:37 pm

Good article from today's Irish Independent

Man City are set to dominate Man United for a generation - but it started long before Pep Guardiola arrived
Man City's succession planning has set the club up for lasting success

Manchester City are flying high above rivals Manchester United – and not just in the Premier League table.
While on the pitch the Blues are getting lauded from all angles for their stylish play that has them competing for four major trophies this term, it’s their silky skills off the pitch that mostly highlights the difference between them and their neighbours.
While the Reds can rightly claim to be the biggest football club on the planet (they boast 659 million fans around the globe - one in eleven people on earth ‘support’ Manchester United - and they turn over more than any other football club annually at £560m), City are beginning to show that those mouthwatering statistics can mean little or nothing in the grand challenge of winning football tournaments.
It, of course, can be claimed that City won the billionaire’s lottery when Sheikh Mansour splashed out £200m to buy them outright in 2008. His claims that City could be as big as United were sniffed at back then, but not many are laughing now. While it would be nigh on impossible for City to be as recognized as their neighbours globally, at least in our lifetimes, it’s not inconceivable that they may win more silverware than United over the course of the rest of our breaths.
And if they do, it will all come down to the most simplest of forms; succession planning. And it is in the contrast of ‘planning’ that has Red Devils fans fearing a sizeable shift in the city. Simply put, City have been planning towards the success they are currently enjoying for a decade, while within that timeframe United have stagnated their forward thinking.

This is how City have leapfrogged United in recent years.
Sheikh Mansour founded the ‘City Football Group’ back in 2014. This group consists of six football clubs spread throughout the world; Manchester City, of course, (both a men and a women’s team), New York City FC, Melbourne City FC (both a men’s and a women’s team), Yokohama Matinos (in Japan), Atletico Torque (in Uruguay) and Girona (Spain). Most of these football clubs play in Sky Blue and all fall under the umbrella of ‘City Football Group’. More importantly than name or colour, all of these clubs are tasked with playing football the same way - The Pep Guardiola way. And they have been doing so long before Guardiola became the manager at the Etihad Stadium.
The plan for all of this began in earnest in 2008, when Sheikh Mansour took the reigns at City, but started to come to fruition in 2012 with the appointment of Txiki Begiristain as the club’s Director of Football. Begiristain was brought in to begin the process of turning City in to a Pep Guardiola team.
The Spainiards are best friends and Txiki’s biggest task was to convince his mate to move to Manchester. It was always on the cards. What City are producing on the field now has come to fruition through years of succession planning. When Pep considered his move to City too premature in 2013, Txiki appointed Manuel Pellegrini as the club’s head coach. This wasn’t on a wim. Pellegrini approaches the game in much the same manner as Guardiola and was told upon his appointment: ‘You are here until Pep comes’. Pellegrini was open to the media following his dismissal by the club in June 2016. He admitted: "I had always known since I arrived that Guardiola would replace me one day, because the club had been very clear about it from day one."
When Pep arrived at the Etihad Stadium, everything he could ever dream of was fixed around his management style. City have plenty of assets; Pep being one, Kevin de Bruyne being another, Sergio Aguero. David Silva. Raheem Sterling. A trillion pounds in the bank. Brian Marwood, Txiki Begirstain. The Sheikh himself.

But their biggest asset is the thorough succession planning the latter three have fixated on for many years. In fact, they even have plans in place post-Guardiola. Patrick Vieira was sent off to manage New York City, playing the Pep way, in the hope that he may be the number one choice when Pep calls time at the Etihad. But Vieira faces competition. Pablo Machin (currently in charge at City Football Group’s Girona FC – and overachieving in La Liga), who is said to mirror Pep Guardiola in every facet of player management, is also under consideration.

As is Guardiola’s current assistant manager Mikel Arteta who apparently told friends recently that Arsenal’s plans to replace Wenger with him are a non-runner because he is certain of his abilities to succeed Guardiola at the Etihad. It is no coincidence that City have these young, talented coaches lined up to replace Guardiola who is still years off leaving, because their succession planning is that precise.
This is in massive contrast to what’s being going on across the City at Old Trafford.

While the City Football Group was being formed, looking years ahead, Manchester United were counting down the dreaded days until Sir Alex Ferguson would finally spit out his last chewing gum. When he did, in the summer of 2013, they turned to David Moyes. We all assumed at the time that this had been the plan all along. After all, Ferguson always planned his squads three seasons ahead. United’s succession planning was second to none, right? Nope.
They weren’t even second to none in their own city by this stage. Moyes was genuinely only told of his appointment three days before he signed his official contract, when Fergie called over to his house on Merseyside to deliver the news. When Moyes didn’t live up to the high expectations Ferguson had set as a manager, the club’s owners, the Glazer family, pulled the trigger on the Scot. Within a few days of his exit, Louis van Gaal was appointed. While Pep looked destined for City and Jose Mourinho having just signed a long deal at Chelsea, the Glazers went in search of the most decorated manager that was available. Again, the club’s lack of planning was transparent. They did appoint Van Gaal on the condition that Ryan Giggs would become his assistant, showing some sort of forward thinking at this stage. The big idea would be Van Gaal would restore United as top dogs in England and after he left to retire in 2017, Giggs would seamlessly slot in to the hotseat.

However, when Van Gaal failed to lift United back to the heights they had been accustomed to, the board began to worry. That’s why, when Roman Abramovich, sacked Jose Mourinho in the winter of 2015, United chief exec Ed Woodward called his agent Jorge Mendes immediately. But these changes of management prove how United have been playing on a whim, whilst City have been slowly and steadily planning years ahead.
Within that time frame of managerial changes, United splashed out £330m on new players, trying to revamp their playing squad. If I had told you in the summer of 2013 which players would come in and out of Old Trafford over the following four summers, you would have thought I was going insane. But read this for clarification whilst shaking your head; in came the likes of Angel Di Maria, Radamel Falcoa, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Juan Mata, Victor Valdes, Memphis Depay, Ander Herrera, Morgan Schneiderlin and Henrikh Mkhitaryan among many others. Some have done relatively well, while most have look ill-fitted at a club that has totally lost its identity. Rather than succession planning, like their neighbours, United have taken the approach that ‘we are Manchester United, we’ll be okay’.

City are currently the best team in England but they also look likely to be the team who top the table in the coming seasons. Planning, planning, planning.
United are rather fortunate that Mourinho became available. While he has inherited a messy squad, some of it left over from Sir Alex, some of it bought to suit Moyes, some bought to suit Van Gaal and some of it purchased and chosen by Mourinho himself – this United dressing-room is a miss-match of individuals. The fact that they are topping everyone else in England, except – of course – for City is down to Mourinho’s capabilities.
The man is just a born winner. United may be getting more stick than most other teams in the Premier League at present but while the likes of Tottenham and Liverpool are being lauded for their ‘improvements’ over the past couple of seasons, United are being lambasted by every pundit in print and on broadcast. Even United’s ex-players have been scathing of Jose’s United. But within his first season in charge, the Portuguese managed to win the same amount of trophies that both Liverpool and Tottenham have won over the past 12-years combined.
Just let that sink in for a moment. Jose, in one season at one club has won the same amount of silverware as Liverpool and Spurs over a total of 24 campaigns. His team currently have 44-points at the turn of a New Year in the Premier League which is the type of points tally that would – nine out of ten times – have you sitting atop the division. In fact, in his 27-years at the helm, Ferguson only had this amount of points on four occasions at this stage of a league campaign.
Mourinho is doing a stellar job, with such a miss-match of individuals in his dressing-room. However, his main task of winning the Premier League doesn’t just look out of reach for this campaign, it looks out of reach for the foreseeable future. And that’s down to one massive reason; while United were too busy fixating on a season-by-season basis, City were looking way ahead – planning years in advance. The result is this; Pep Guardiola has a squad fine-tuned to his mentality and football approach, Mourinho has half a squad who can’t even carry out the basic football approach he insists upon.
City deserve to be top dogs in England because they have planned towards it. United, meanwhile, deserve to be in their shadow for adopting complacency in the aftermath of Ferguson’s retirement.

Quite when the tide will turn back in United’s favour is anyone’s guess. United need to take a leaf out of City’s book and start planning ahead.
Tying Mourinho down to a long contract and allowing him to shape the squad as he sees fit should be bullet point number one on a long list of succession plans. Talks between Mourinho and the club were reported to have begun in November only to suddenly stop before Christmas – not scheduled to renew until after this campaign. But it’s pivotal for United to hold down a manager long-term. If United continue to hire and fire managers, with the feeling that it’s okay as long as they back them to the hilt in the transfer market by bringing in the next Di Maris/Falcoas/Schweinsteigers etc then Red Devils fans will have to get used to not only watching the Blue Moon Rising, but watching it become a permanent fixture in the skies above Manchester.
PaulieIrish
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby craigmcfc » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:02 pm

Thanks for that Paulie, what a brilliant article and a damn good read.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby john@staustell » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:11 pm

CAA Sports brought in to drive City Football Group’s commercial dealings

https://www.sportbusiness.com/sport-new ... l-dealings

CAA Sports, a division of entertainment and sports agency Creative Artists Agency (CAA), has been appointed by City Football Group (CFG), parent company of English Premier League football club Manchester City, to develop global partnerships.

Under the agreement announced today (Monday), CAA Sports will work alongside CFG’s in-house sales team on a range of projects, with an initial focus on orchestrating significant global agreements for CFG’s clubs with leading brands.

CFG is the owner of football-related businesses in major cities around the world, including football clubs, academies, technical support and marketing companies. Along with Manchester City, CFG’s club portfolio includes Major League Soccer’s New York City FC, the Australian A-League’s Melbourne City FC, Spanish LaLiga team Girona, Japanese J-League outfit Yokohama F Marinos and the Uruguayan Primera Division’s CA Torque.

Girona became the latest addition to the list in August when CFG acquired a major stake in the club.

Girona won promotion to the top-tier LaLiga for the first time in its history last season after finishing second in the 2016-17 Segunda División. It currently sits 10th in the table following Saturday’s goalless draw at Málaga.

Alongside its commercial headquarters in London, CFG operates from Manchester, Abu Dhabi, Girona, Melbourne, Montevideo, New York, Shanghai, Singapore, and Tokyo. The CAA Sports agreement comes on the back of CFG striking innovative global partnerships with the likes of Amazon, Gatorade and Nexen Tire, with which the agency has already had an involvement.

“City Football Group is a unique football organisation that is growing globally at an unprecedented pace,” Paul Danforth, global head of sales for CAA Sports, said. “We are excited to be helping CFG commercialise this potential and bringing blue chip brands on board as partners of CFG clubs. Two ground breaking partnerships with Gatorade and Amazon are the first outcomes of our collaboration.”

City Football Group joins CAA Sports’ existing portfolio of properties, which includes Formula One, Red Bull Racing, the Golden State Warriors, and Riot Games’ League of Legends, among others.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby john68 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:02 am

Thanks John,
I cannot help but be amazed by the creative commercial nouse being shown by our owners. The fastest growing commercial sports business on the planet and I get the feeling that the bigger we get, the more commercially powerful we become.
Is it any wonder that the rags and their other old order cohorts fear us?
At some point, we have to catch and overtake the rags, Real, Bayern and Barca in the global marketplace.

All a bit different to the days of Swales eh!!!!
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby john@staustell » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:03 am

john68 wrote:Thanks John,
I cannot help but be amazed by the creative commercial nouse being shown by our owners. The fastest growing commercial sports business on the planet and I get the feeling that the bigger we get, the more commercially powerful we become.
Is it any wonder that the rags and their other old order cohorts fear us?
At some point, we have to catch and overtake the rags, Real, Bayern and Barca in the global marketplace.

All a bit different to the days of Swales eh!!!!

The club shop in that little house on Maine Road/Clairmont Street (was it?). Even that was a franchise!

This all suggests we are heading toward mega sponsors. Definitely a hiatus in last year's figures (11 months?) and I expect a bigger leap this year.

But then again now UEFA are moving to make income irrelevant to stop the English clubs paying bigger fees.

I'm sure we'll work it out.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby john@staustell » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:42 am

China rears it's head again. But when you look at CFG losses - what's ait all about?

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2018 ... quisition/

City Football Group (CFG), owners of Premier League Manchester City and New York City FC in the MLS, has again indicated that further club acquisitions are likely and that China will likely be the next market.

Tom Glick, chief commercial officer of CFG, told CNBC: “I think it’s very likely we’ll do some more (acquisitions) and we’re looking at a number of places across the globe. There are a number of very interesting markets and healthy leagues with great upsides so we’re looking at a number of places, including places in Asia.”

CFG currently owns six clubs across four continents, also having Australian A-League club Melbourne City, Spanish LaLiga side Girona, Japanese J-League team Yokohama F Marinos and the Uruguayan Primera Division’s CA Torque on its ownership roster.

CFG has been investing in developing its Manchester City clubs brand in China and with a 13% ownership position in the group by China Media Capital, has for some time been expected to buy a club in the country.

Glick pointed to the improving commercial strength of the Chinese Super League and the government commitment to develop football in the county as being motivating factors to tacking the next step.

“There’s a huge push and an ambition from the government. The league is already a very healthy league with good attendances, good television viewership, so I think it’s a really exciting time right now for China and that’s one of the markets that we’re there on the ground, investing,” said Glick.

CFG as a holding company does not have to follow the financial fair play rules that bind some of its clubs and as such posted a £71 million loss from continuing operations for the 13 months to 30 June 2017. But how far the group is prepared to carry on losing money and investing in clubs and playing squads remains to be seen.

CFG’s losses have been mounting and the last reported results were almost double the £37 million losses reported the previous year.

At the centre of the group’s revenue generation is Manchester City who account for £473.4 million of the £514.3 million of revenue in the latest period. New York City contributed £30.1 million and Melbourne City £8.4 million.

This is not far off double the £37 million loss reported for the previous year. The group attributed this to its US club, New York City FC, and “newly formed service companies” continuing to build their business.

While the group holds investments in Melbourne City, Yokohama F Marinos of Japan, Club Atlético Torque in Uruguay and now Girona FC in Spain, as well as New York City, its figures are dominated by Manchester City.

Out of £514.3 million of revenue in the latest period, the English club generated £473.4 million, with New York City contributing £30.1 million and Melbourne City £8.4 million.

An investment in buying or taking an ownership position in a Chinese club is not likely to reduce the group’s losses in the short term. But with the Chinese FA, under instruction from government, having enforced an economic reality on clubs after a period of huge player transfer inflation, mainly for overseas players, the conditions for investing are improved and the potential of China is very attractive with the right partner.
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Justified logic » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:32 am

Pfft! Less than a Pogba. Not even a Lukaku.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum