How long have you supported Manchester City FC?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

How long have you been supporting Manchester City Football Club?

This season (2013)
No votes
Since the league was won (2012)
1%
Since the FA Cup win (2011)
No votes
Since the Sheik bought the club (2008)
4%
Since Thaksin bought the club (2007)
4%
Since John Wardle was chairman (2003)
5%
Since David Bernstein was chairman (1998)
10%
Since Franny Lee took over (1994)
11%
Since Peter Swales ran the show (1973)
39%
Since Eric Alexander was the head honcho (1971)
9%
Since Albert Alexander Jr presided (1964)
12%
Since Alan Douglas sat in the big chair (1956)
5%
Since Bob Smith ruled the roost (1935)
No votes
Since Albert Smith was in command (1928)
No votes
Since the time when footballs were made out of stone
1%

Total votes : 171

Re: How long have you supported Manchester City FC?

Postby gillie » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:17 pm

Portadown Blue wrote:First-time poster. Born and bred in Manchester and first attended Maine Road in 1981 aged 8 to watch City v Northampton in league cup with dad and brother. Vivid memory of tatty wooden benches in old Platt Lane Stand, but have loved City ever since.

Best memories: 5-1 at Maine Road and 1-6 at the swamp. You cannot walk far in NI without seeing a glory-hunting rag, so victories against them are particularly sweet, and humiliations are sublime.

Worst memory: travelling up to Manchester from university for the FA cup match against Spurs (must have been 1993 or 94). Walked to ground full of optimism with dad, and walked home gutted after we got beaten, the pitch was invaded and police horses were called into action, all live on BBC.

Love reading all the posts on this site, keeps me sane. Keep up the good work.

Great opening post mate welcome.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Ajardine » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:36 pm

halnone wrote:around 2007 for me. i'm most likely one of the youngest posters here, so I don't feel too bad about being a fan for only 6 years.

How old are you then?
Ajardine
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

My favourite player is: Sergioooooo

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:37 pm

Born in 82, first real memory of actively following City was when Peter Reid took over. So Swales years.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby paul_oresteia » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:00 am

Born in '87. Just about remember the Swales era but proper first memories when Franny Lee was at the club. Was a big Flitcroft fan at school, had the hair cut and his name on the shirt. Number 10. I have a photo from when I met him at Platt Lane after watching the team train (there were no big fences in them days). I look like his little brother or something. Good times.
paul_oresteia
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

My favourite player is: Adam Johnson

Postby Lee_R » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:15 am

89-90 Season for me. Thats when I really started to get into watching and reading about City as a club. I was 14 then so before that I was a video game geek. Now Im both and I dont give a toss.
Lee_R
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David White

Postby dazby » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:24 am

I have to say, I'm surprised by the lack of newbie support. I'd have thought we'd have more.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Rodders » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:37 am

97 season, my old man took me to Maine Road to watch us play Grimsby. I was 13. Stood in the Kippax, got in there early, froze my tits off, and had a cup of bovril.

I remember vividly walking down to the ground, hearing singing, people selling scarves, and a few comments from other blues about Grimsby and fish. Didn't get the joke at the time.

The start of the walk made me love football, by the end of the walk I was hooked forever, and by the end of the game I knew i was a blue, despite us being a shite team (although we beat them by a couple that day)
Last edited by Rodders on Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rodders
Joey Barton's Twitter Account

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Dave

Postby CitizenYank » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:53 am

The US success in the WC in '02 got me back into football again. But couldn't really get into a team that I had a connection with.
Had a musician friend from Manchester and I got introduced to the whole Blues vs Reds thing. Once I saw a tv match with all the fans going crazy at Eastlands in 2006, it hooked me and I have been a fanatic supporter ever since. Funny. As soon as I saw one game, I was connected. Not many things in my life have been so easy.
Never touch the clowns. Let the clowns touch you!
CitizenYank
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City, P Timbers

Postby branny » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:48 am

At 8 yrs old so since 1976. No external influence so purely my choice which was down to the sky blue kit. I'm from Salford so it was only ever gonna be us or them as I've never even remotely considered supporting a from anywhere else.

First game was April 77. Beat Leeds 2-1, Kiddo scored both. Went home and some away from 87 til mid 90s. My priorities in life after that started to change and so found myself getting to less games but thanks to Joan Rivers I never miss a game these days.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby Martinez » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:57 am

Been a City- supporter since mid-90s, it was the logical choice for an Oasis- fan, that was my introduction. The dark years were hard to follow as a teenager in Sweden, normally listening to live radio-feeds which were on the OS back then +the occasional televised FA-cupgame if we were lucky to draw a top side (Leeds utd).
Since promotion/ Keegan arrived I've basically watched every game but never been to Manchester, so I guess I'm kind of softcore
Martinez
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:45 pm

dazby wrote:I have to say, I'm surprised by the lack of newbie support. I'd have thought we'd have more.

Now you can focus all your love on me.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Original Dub » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:31 pm

Ajardine wrote:
How old are you then?

We have a groomer
Original Dub

Postby Spurge » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:47 pm

In 1974 my mum bought me my first city shirt - because it was in 'the sale' (there were other shirts on offer) and she liked the colour. Been a blue ever since.

I still have the shirt, my 5 year old sometimes wears it, but it's signed by Rodney Marsh and Dennis Law so I don't let him wear it much.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:51 pm

i will start supporting the club when they win CL, or at least a world cup.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby PeterParker » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:30 pm

I was 14 years old, it was may 1999. I just finished the school year and my uncle ask me to come for a thew weeks in London, on a holiday. I accepted and i”ve just arrived there and he said if i want to watch a ”Supercup” game, as he called it. I said yes and ask who was playing and he said Manchester United agains Gilligan's Island (he was and is crap at football).

I wasen”t convinced because i really disliked Filth since that time, i hated the way they won the Champions League final with Bayern, i was convinced they somehow cheated. At that moment, my knowledge of football was low, even though i lived outside Romania at that time, i didn”t knew who Spurs are and so on.

So i got to the Manchester United - Giligan”s Island game and saw that is the playoff final cup game between City and Gilligham. At that moment i just found out there is another team in Manchester and instantly felt in love. (Maybe the hate for filth had something to do it). That 120 minutes and the penalties were like a neverending dream for me and since that moment, i started loving typical City.

That winter went back to Romania and imagine the trouble i had in the winter of 99-2000 to find out what is City doing, are they winning or losing? Finally i found out in july 2000 that we promoted in the Premiership, after a thew months when it really happend.

Had a lot of troubles when people asked me before 2005 who was i supporting and everytime i got the same answer: Man City? Is that United, right?

Bummer.

Well, at least we beat Giligan.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby dazby » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:12 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:
Now you can focus all your love on me.

Get in line Coca.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby halnone » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:45 am

Ajardine wrote:
How old are you then?

i'm 18. started following city when I was 12.
halnone
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Jorgobot » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:02 am

halnone wrote:<null>

I'm 17!! Lol I beat ya out. ;)
Jorgobot
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: Date I say it? Ronaldo!?

Postby mcfcsincebirth » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:47 am

Since my day of birth in 1990, my dad (gillie) made sure of that. Although in my mid teens I didn't pay attention to football. But now I have 2 children of my own and their father being a rag I saw only fit that I start following city again and make them city fans.
mcfcsincebirth
Negouai's Red Cards

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: Edin Dzeko

Postby bluebouch » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:54 am

First match i ever attended at about 4 years old was with me Dad in the late fifties at Old Trafford, yes my Dad was a red. We lived in Collyhurst at that time and Nobby Stiles lived in the next street, all 2 up and 2 down terrace houses with cobbled streets and the khazi in the back yard. Nobby used to play football with all the local lads on a croft at the back off Rochdale rd on a Sunday afternoon after the pubs shut.

My Mum and Dad divorced in the early sixties and me and my Mum and younger brother went to live with her parents and brothers in Ancoats. They were all staunch blues!!! I remember them asking me "what team do you support" me replying ..... er Yoonited ???? "Not anymore you dont" and then i was dragged off to Maine Rd week in and week out and the transformation was complete. Followed the blues ever since home and away through the 60,s 70,s ...... right up untill present day. I wish i could have back all the money ive spent on following them I would be minted now lol.
bluebouch
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: vinnie kompany

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum