Fernandinho

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Fernandinho

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:14 pm

In another thread, I've just found Fernandinho getting stck for something totally unfair imo, & I've noticed quite a few comments creeping in as to what he does or why he isn't Nigel DeJong when that's his job, well it isn't, he is just good at most aspects of midfield play INCLUDING that.

And while I'm at it, have a look at the extended highlights video & the piece of action shown on that at 08.07. Fenandinho is on the edge of the centre circle playing a pass upfield to Aguero. At 08 11 he is level with Cardiff's back 4 ready to either receive a pass to feet or a ball through the left side of the box & basically, score the winner. Aguero's brain doesn't work quickly enough, so he opts for a later pass to Silva.

Stop the picture when Siva hits his usual crappy shot & look where Fernandinho is. Stood unmarked right in front of him, waiting for a simple pass, to score the winner. If that's Xavi or Iniesta, or Silva playing for Spain; Fernandinho gets the ball & probably scores from there.

That is the kind of player he is, harrass & mither people, make the odd tackle, intercept, dribble fuck off down the pitch pass it (or occasionally shoot). He is NOT Barry or DeJong. You can play him there, but at Shakhtar, he had a Nige/Barry next to him to cover for him.

He is more like Yaya; better at intercepting the ball & effective further up the pitch.

Here is a description I've lifted, talking about Fernandinho in the Champions League, which I recon is a pretty fair way to make a comparison to our players in the same competition.

Statistics from WhoScored (2012/13 UEFA Champions League)

Fernandinho has an 86.2% pass success rate from 8 appearances. That compares extremely fairly to his expected competitors at Man City – Barry has 86.4% from 4 apps, Toure 86.1% from 5, Garcia 90% from 5. While Barry and Garcia have better pass success rates than Fernandinho and Toure, the former duo spend most of their games away from the final third. Barry and Garcia do not often have to attempt a penetrative pass further forward, while Fernandinho and Toure do, hence it is only logical that it would be much easier for Barry and Garcia to log higher passing rates – Most of their passes are “safe passes” just to keep the ball moving along when City have possession .

In terms of “key passes”, Fernandinho averaged 1.3 per match. Barry averaged 0.8, Toure 1, and Javi Garcia 0.2. This is in line with the aforementioned point of passing rates, though they have their uses, not being the be all and end of studying any midfielder.

While Fernandinho does have the ability to start attacks with his passing ability, he is also able to use his athleticism to dribble forward as well. With 3.9 successful dribbles per game, Fernandinho’s stats in this aspect dwarfs those of Toure(1), Barry(0.3) and Garcia(-). In fact, in the 2012/13 Champions League Group Stage, the Brazilian was ranked 3rd in WhoScored’s list of “Players with the most successful dribbles per game”.

Where direct tackling is concerned, Fernandinho made 3.3 successful tackles per game while Toure made 1.4, Barry 2.3 and Garcia 1.4. The Brazilian’s tackling stats put him ahead of the likes of Ramires(3.2), FC Porto stalwart Lucho Gonzalez(3.2), Nemanja Matic(3) and Michael Carrick(2.7). Now on to defending, where Fernandinho has shown his ability to intercept the ball, with his 3.5 interceptions per game being on par with the likes of Nigel de Jong and slightly better than the likes of Blaise Matuidi(3.3), Ignacio Camacho(3.3) and Benfica’s impressive Nemanja Matic(3). For comparison’s sake, Toure made 2.4 interceptions per game, Barry 1.3 and Garcia 1.2

As you can see, he is NOT a defensive mid, he is a similar kind of player to Yaya, but his stats are actually better.

Not that it means he IS better, as stats can be misleading, but it shows he's no fucking mug as some are starting to imply.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Re: Fernandinho

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:18 pm

I hope you're not suggesting that I am implying that Fernandinho is a mug Ted, far from it. I just like to see even handed criticism, if you criticise one for something I believe it's only fair to criticise others for the same thing.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:27 pm

I don't think people are doubting his ability as a footballer per say. It's whether he and Yaya can play in the same team without compromising each other's games.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:32 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:I hope you're not suggesting that I am implying that Fernandinho is a mug Ted, far from it. I just like to see even handed criticism, if you criticise one for something I believe it's only fair to criticise others for the same thing.

No I'm not accusing you of that but some are starting it, & the dodgy interpretation of facts that Lescott has suffered throughout his City career, is starting to happen with Fernandinho, which I do include you in the other thread.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Original Dub » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:34 pm

Good post mate. I know one retard that will love those stats, whilst completely ignoring your last sentence.

I'd like to see how he performed with Barry in for Yaya , alongside him.

I honestly didn't see fuck all of him before he joined, so if he is the type of player you say he is, then I don't understand the idea that he and Yaya would be a any kind of a partnership.
Original Dub

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:37 pm

Original Dub wrote:Good post mate. I know one retard that will love those stats, whilst completely ignoring your last sentence.

I'd like to see how he performed with Barry in for Yaya , alongside him.

I honestly didn't see fuck all of him before he joined, so if he is the type of player you say he is, then I don't understand the idea that he and Yaya would be a any kind of a partnership.

Neither do I & I have been saying so since we got him.

It's risky.

If we train up Rodwell to play like Barry, & babysit the pair of them, now we are talking. What a power trio that could be.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:38 pm

http://www.eplindex.com/epl-news/38073/ ... -city.html

Thought this relevant to the thread if we're getting all statistical
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:52 pm

I have no statistics but I am happy to go on record and say that I am questioning his price tag and overall abilty. Hope I'm wrong but so far I have seen nothing like a 30 million pound midfielder.

Dont care what those stats say.
Any MCFC player should have impressive stats as even when we lose inveriably we dominate possession.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Green & Blue » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:16 pm

I thought he was very good against Newcastle but not really at much against Cardiff.I would have expected far better from our midfield against Cardiff.Only 2 competitive games under his belt for us so it's very early days to be judging him from the little i have seen of him so far i'm encouraged.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby getdressedmctavish » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:34 pm

I think what people are wondering Ted is why if we have players like Ya ya and Rodwell who have great box to box ability we bought Fernandinho and not a nose biter, particularly as we seem keen to off load Barry.The end result is a bit silly, we have Ya Ya never getting out of the middle third and mainly playing deep and a fit Rodwell who scored two great goals in the last game of 2012/13 not even getting on the pitch.Thats not to blame Fernandinho. But folks aint silly, they can spot nonsense when its in front of their eyes.We are supposed to be managed by guys who've thought it through from top to bottom. To my mind it would make more sense to play Barry and Fernandinho together and release Ya Ya to play behind the striker/s, atleast away from home. That's not to say that an all forward running midfield wont work.. I've long advocated it. But for it to do so they have to work their arses off, not trot around like Ya Ya. And the back four have to be much more secure. The latter is the biggest problem. You can bet the players are not happy at the shambles in defence.if the Count don't sort that pronto, surely by reverting to zonal marking he and we are in big trouble. Atleast now we have a situation where the Spaniards and the manager and coaches and players can discuss it.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:00 pm

getdressedmctavish wrote:I think what people are wondering Ted is why if we have players like Ya ya and Rodwell who have great box to box ability we bought Fernandinho and not a nose biter, particularly as we seem keen to off load Barry.The end result is a bit silly, we have Ya Ya never getting out of the middle third and mainly playing deep and a fit Rodwell who scored two great goals in the last game of 2012/13 not even getting on the pitch.Thats not to blame Fernandinho. But folks aint silly, they can spot nonsense when its in front of their eyes.

Sadly, some can't. Otherwise, nail on head.

On to the "Ferran & Txiki" thread.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby bobadji » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:38 pm

unless he scores a hattrick every game, and makes at least 4 stunning blocks, he's always going to come under the shittest of criticisms, 'oh he's not worth £30mil'. Don't think he's played bad these first 2 games to say it's a new country, style of football, team etc but maybe he has impacted Yaya. Yaya was fucking abysmal against Cardiff, couldn't find a blue shirt and didn't (want to) make a tackle. He didn't impress me greatly against Newcastle either. Hopefully it's not a sign of things to come
bobadji
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ned

Postby PeterParker » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:43 pm

The Pellegrini era has something that the Bobby era didn”t had and that is speed.

I reckon Fernandinho is the reason.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Rag_hater » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:05 pm

From the people who watched both game it could be seen that both visually and statistically Yaya did more than Freddy.Yet nobody is calling him a lazy cunt.
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:41 pm

bobadji wrote:unless he scores a hattrick every game, and makes at least 4 stunning blocks, he's always going to come under the shittest of criticisms, 'oh he's not worth £30mil'.

Sorry mate but that is a stupid fucking comment.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby bobadji » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:59 pm

It's true though sadly, his price tag will always be mentioned if he has a bad game, be it on here or the media, and hes an easier target because of it.
bobadji

Postby sheblue » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:07 pm

Interesting stuff but we need to give the lad a bit of time, two games.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:10 pm

the irony is that no one here has any idea what we paid for him.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:14 pm

bobadji wrote:It's true though sadly, his price tag will always be mentioned if he has a bad game, be it on here or the media, and hes an easier target because of it.

It's not true

Regardless of how much he actually cost so far, from what I've seen he just doesn't look that good.

For a comparison, two games in I can see Jesus' strengths and weaknesses and can see what he does and will bring to our team.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby bobadji » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:22 pm

Fair enough mate. I don't mind what i've seen so far, think his work rate will be a massive boost to us.
Like i say though, not too sure on him and yaya as a twosome. If anything yaya should be the one under more scrutiny, his performance against Cardiff was pathetic quite frankly.
bobadji

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum