Fernandinho

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Fernandinho

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:15 pm

Original Dub wrote:Yaya has the ability to both grab games by the scruff of the neck and turn a match on its head.

Unfortunately, he walks around in a lot of games and when he isn't interested, we lose matches. I don't question his ability at all.

I would most certainly question his attitude and commitment to the team at times.

He went down in my estimation when he scored the winner at Wembley and failed to punch wio as he ran of to do his back slide.
But yes he does tend to drive fans mad with his hands on hips I am fucked look... He must be a twat to play with at times BTW.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby bigblue » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:22 pm

Hazy2 wrote: He must be a twat to play with at times BTW.

Strange that none of our players or fellow professionals seems to share this view of Yaya. Everyone at City holds him in the highest respect and I've never seen the slightest peep out of anyone that they do not like playing with him. The only people who say they don;t like being on the same field as him is opposing midfielders. Quit talking shit.
Last edited by bigblue on Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:22 pm

bigblue wrote:
twosips wrote:Yaya could do so so so much more if he wanted to. He can completely dominate whole games easily. He just doesn't sadly.

If he got to edge of the area and ran at defenses often he'd score 20 goals a season and create fuck loads more.

First sentence is such bullshit. Why would he not want to "completely dominate whole games easily"???? Simply because he is lazy?

"If he just got to the edge of the area"... Do you ever think that the team plan is for him to stay in a set position? While we're at it, Kompany is under-performing because if he just made more runs in behind the defense he would score 30 goals a season.

Yaya already dominates games when were in possession. And that is why he is on the field. Two different managers, both experts on football, both have seemingly placed the same value on Yaya and chosen pretty much the same role for him. Is it because Yaya is a petulant child who demands to play then disregards the manager and team's best interests whenever he steps on the field? Or is it because maybe Mancini, Pellegrini, and our team see his role differently than some armchair supporters?

It's you twisting people's words again. You know what he means but you are choosing to interpret it in a chidish way rather than enter into sensible discussion.

Yaya is a top player. We all know that.

He could be much better if he pushed himself harder.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby bigblue » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:36 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:He could be much better if he pushed himself harder.

I'm not twisting anyones words. You just seem to be ignoring mine.

"Just pushed himself harder"

Just because a player has moments of great play (bursting by players, winning the ball, muscling off other people, great footwork, cannon like shots...) doesn't mean that every moment that they are on the pitch they will be sprinting like a madman to exactly the correct place on the field, winning the ball back, bursting past 2 players, then slotting the ball in the upper corner of the net.

What Yaya offers is brilliant. Subtle passing and moving that has been the hallmark of City's play since he came. No other team in the league keeps possession as calmly and easily as we do. And that is because they don't have Yaya.

I don't know what you want from Yaya. The fact that he gets visibly tired should prove that he is trying hard. Don't you think that if Mancini or Pellegrini didn't think he was giving 100% they would bench him or at least have a stern word in public (like happened with Nasri, Richards, Balo, Aguero, Dzeko, Kompany, Hart... last season)? Or if our fitness coaches though he was out of shape they would alter his preseason and weekly training?

There are too many people projecting their unrealistic ideas of what they think Yaya is capable of or lacking in (after all he does have 2x the size of a normal human heart), without realizing all that he currently offers to our team and what type of player that he has been his entire career. He's not going to suddenly get 50% more fit at the age of 30.

Yaya would walk into any team in the world right now (with the exception of maybe Barcelona). Yet all some fans can do is bitch about him while he is at City. He is not immune to criticism. But he should not be criticized for not trying hard enough, not living up to his potential, or not offering enough to City while on the field. All of those criticisms are nonsense.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby MilnersJaw » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:42 pm

bigblue wrote:

Just because a player has moments of great play (bursting by players, winning the ball, muscling off other people, great footwork, cannon like shots...) doesn't mean that every moment that they are on the pitch they will be sprinting like a madman to exactly the correct place on the field, winning the ball back, bursting past 2 players, then slotting the ball in the upper corner of the net.

What Yaya offers is brilliant. Subtle passing and moving that has been the hallmark of City's play since he came. No other team in the league keeps possession as calmly and easily as we do. And that is because they don't have Yaya.

I don't know what you want from Yaya. The fact that he gets visibly tired should prove that he is trying hard. Don't you think that if Mancini or Pellegrini didn't think he was giving 100% they would bench him or at least have a stern word in public (like happened with Nasri, Richards, Balo... last season)? Or if our fitness coaches though he was out of shape they would alter his preseason and weekly training?

There are too many people projecting their unrealistic ideas of what they think Yaya is capable of or lacking in (after all he does have 2x the size of a normal human heart), without realizing all that he currently offers to our team and what type of player that he has been his entire career. He's not going to suddenly get 50% more fit at the age of 30.

Yaya would walk into any team in the world right now (with the exception of maybe Barcelona). Yet all some fans can do is bitch about him while he is at City.

When he left for the African cup we did fine without him, on his first day back in the team we lost. Question mark.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silver

Postby bigblue » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:43 pm

MilnersJaw wrote:When he left for the African cup we did fine without him, on his first day back in the team we lost. Question mark.

You are an idiot.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:52 pm

bigblue wrote:

I don't know what you want from Yaya. The fact that he gets visibly tired should prove that he is trying hard. Don't you think that if Mancini or Pellegrini didn't think he was giving 100% they would bench him or at least have a stern word in public (like happened with Nasri, Richards, Balo, Aguero, Dzeko, Kompany, Hart... last season)? Or if our fitness coaches though he was out of shape they would alter his preseason and weekly training?

Yaya would walk into any team in the world right now (with the exception of maybe Barcelona). Yet all some fans can do is bitch about him while he is at City. He is not immune to criticism. But he should not be criticized for not trying hard enough, not living up to his potential, or not offering enough to City while on the field. All of those criticisms are nonsense.

Is the point not just that he plays within himself a lot of the time?

I agree with your earlier point about managers instructions, but what if the managers have sussed the problem, and their instructions are designed to try and get the best out of Yaya at 80% because they know they will only get 100% out of him once or twice in a season, and they cant afford to rely on him for that. At 80% in a position we fans probably wouldnt choose to play him in, he is still one of the best in the league, and gets to play within himself and cruise.

Thats only a hypothesis mind, I just know he is a frustrating/sublime player who, (for whatever reason) along with Silva and Aguero, need to step it up to the level of their reputations pdq for this club to move forwards.

I expect the managers job this season is to find a way to get the best out of these players more often than Mancini did. If he does, these discussions will quickly fade into irrelevance, if he doesnt, we will most likely be looking for a new manager next summer, because without solving this conundrum, we will struggle for consistency.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby bigblue » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:57 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:It's you twisting people's words again. You know what he means but you are choosing to interpret it in a chidish way [highlight]rather than enter into sensible discussion[/highlight].

COME ON TED!

This is your go-to line in almost every response to me. Was boring 3 months ago and makes me lose a bit of respect for you every time I see it.

Just because someone disagrees with you does not mean that their view is not part of a sensible discussion. Your posts are longer, more thought out and express more complete ideas that many of this forum but you have immense problems responding to someone who challenges your ideas.

When someone challenges your ideas, you basically shut down, accuse them of attempting to derail the "serious football discussion", while ignoring the content of what they wrote. Just some peer criticism for ya pal
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby ant london » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:01 pm

bigblue wrote:
MilnersJaw wrote:When he left for the African cup we did fine without him, on his first day back in the team we lost. Question mark.

You are an idiot.

I've just noticed your post count....so I guess you had another username previously

Who were you?
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby bigblue » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:06 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:I agree with your earlier point about managers instructions, but what if the managers have sussed the problem, and their instructions are designed to try and get the best out of Yaya at 80% because they know they will only get 100% out of him once or twice in a season, and they cant afford to rely on him for that. At 80% in a position we fans probably wouldnt choose to play him in, he is still one of the best in the league, and gets to play within himself and cruise.

Lets translate this to business/professional setting.

Theres a salesman Bob, who is one of the best salesmen in the country, and can sell 20 cars/week consistently. Two weeks a year Bob sells 25 cars/week!

Now, is Bob performing at 100% normally (since he is one of the best in the country) or his he only performing at 80% every week, then for some reason steps it up to 100% two weeks a year?

I would argue that Bob (and Yaya) are performing at 95-100% of their ability for most of the year. Those exceptional weeks/performances are more results of situation (for Bob it may be the holiday season or the week before business taxes are due. For Yaya it might be a big game that makes other players more nervous than him or a team that fails to lineup properly against him.)
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby bigblue » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:08 pm

ant london wrote:
bigblue wrote:

You are an idiot.

I've just noticed your post count....so I guess you had another username previously

Who were you?

smallblue
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby ant london » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:14 pm

bigblue wrote:
ant london wrote:
bigblue wrote:

You are an idiot.

Who were you?

smallblue

catchy theme
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:19 pm

bigblue wrote:

There are key moments in games where, even if a player is fucked & even if it's not 'his job' to make a run, or not 'his man' that needs picking up, he forces himself to give that extra yard, even if it means he'll be so fucked he has to come off, because the team needs it. I shouldn't have to tell you this, it's a fundemental fact for successful centre mid players over the history of football.

Many of our best players over the years have given that. Yaya doesn't do it very often. If tiredness was the reason for him not tracking on occasions, then he wouldn't be sprinting forward with the ball 2 mins later, he would be too tired, yet he finds the energy to make a less crucial run forward. That proves it's by choice.

If you are a player blessed with Yaya's pace, & in front of you, you can see a player running into our penalty area unmarked, you fucking leg it, full tilt, & get in front of him. If that means you take five minutes to get your breath back, then play deep for 5 mins & knock the ball around (like he often does anyway).

Here we go out of the Champions League: Nige gets attracted to the ball & Yaya doesn't make any effort to stop Cavani, not even a token. He runs right accross Yaya's path, so there is no chance he can't see him. You would actually expect a player of Yaya's experience to spot that danger immediately & move in. The backline are in position to stop a cross into the 6 yard box, so the only option is the diagonal pull back. Stop the picture at 0.08 That's Napoli's top scorer, running into our box, in a make or break game. At 0.09, Cavani is running & Yaya is walking. Cavani puts in the effort to win the game & wins it.

Just one big effort from Yaya, & Cavani won't get a pass, the angle wouldn't be there, but he doesn't even try do anything, then it's too late. He can do 100M in about 10.5 but he hasn't got it in him to sprint ten to protect his team. Much slower. less fit players than Yaya, would have busted a gut to get there & change that situation.

[youtube]wyfgMGmm6T4[/youtube]

I'm sorry, but great player though he is, this is a common sight & if it was Ireland or Ged Brannen or Maicon or any other unfashionable player, they would get serious shit for it. He was the same with Ribery at Bayern; letting him go, & he was far to slack stopping Cavani getting a touch from the corner for the 1st goal.

Yaya has been involved in quite a few incidents like this in Europe, even going back to UEFA Cup games a few years ago.

A naturally great player, but not someone who gives everything for the team.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby bigblue » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:48 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Many of our best players over the years have given that. Yaya doesn't do it very often. If tiredness was the reason for him not tracking on occasions, then he wouldn't be sprinting forward with the ball 2 mins later, he would be too tired, yet he finds the energy to make a less crucial run forward. That proves it's by choice.

Maybe, just maybe, he doesn't track back to mark players but busts a gut with the ball forward is because thats his role in the team? And he makes the "less important" run forward because that is also his role (as given to him by the manager). I think the video you posted goes along with this as well.

His role is not of a traditional defensive mid. His role is not of an attacking mid. His physical attributes and skills have allowed managers to make a different role for Yaya.

When in defense:

Yaya sits on the edge of the box and is the short outlet pass. He is basically in the position of an center/attacking mid when we are without the ball in our own half (you can usually see Silva, Nasri, and of course Fernandinho/Barry behind Yaya).

We win the ball back in our half, our options are: switch the field to opposite wing, look for Aguero/Dzeko long, or give to Yaya. Going wide usually leads to our winger trying to beat a player 1v1 or playing the ball in the channel to the striker, going long to a striker is a low percentage pass, so our defenders and others mids almost always look to give to ball to Yaya in this situation. Yaya has the strength to shield the ball, the speed to go past players, and the vision/ability to hit a longer ball.

When in attack:

Yaya takes the ball from the back 4 and looks to build something in midfield or play a through ball to the strikers. If the ball goes out wide he occupies a slightly more advanced position to be able to effectively link play between the front, back, left, and right of our team. He does bust a gut to get back if we lost the ball in the other team's half because we are vulnerable then. But in attack his main job is to keep the play moving and shift around defenders and put someone in a position to create a scoring opportunity. Sometimes that involves taking a shot from the edge of the box or making a forward run (as this can cause defenders to worry about another option and leave attacking players unmarked).

Basically, he is the definition of a 'box-to-box' player in the most literal definition of the term. On defense he is one of our more attacking players, positioned outside of our own box. On offense he is more defensive, playing well behind the opponent's box, even when we are deep in their half. Think point guard in basketball.

Trying to judge him based on a typical defensive mid role will lead to unwarranted criticism because that is not his job in the team.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Rag_hater » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:59 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
bigblue wrote:

There are key moments in games where, even if a player is fucked & even if it's not 'his job' to make a run, or not 'his man' that needs picking up, he forces himself to give that extra yard, even if it means he'll be so fucked he has to come off, because the team needs it. I shouldn't have to tell you this, it's a fundemental fact for successful centre mid players over the history of football.

Many of our best players over the years have given that. Yaya doesn't do it very often. If tiredness was the reason for him not tracking on occasions, then he wouldn't be sprinting forward with the ball 2 mins later, he would be too tired, yet he finds the energy to make a less crucial run forward. That proves it's by choice.

If you are a player blessed with Yaya's pace, & in front of you, you can see a player running into our penalty area unmarked, you fucking leg it, full tilt, & get in front of him. If that means you take five minutes to get your breath back, then play deep for 5 mins & knock the ball around (like he often does anyway).

Here we go out of the Champions League: Nige gets attracted to the ball & Yaya doesn't make any effort to stop Cavani, not even a token. He runs right accross Yaya's path, so there is no chance he can't see him. You would actually expect a player of Yaya's experience to spot that danger immediately & move in. The backline are in position to stop a cross into the 6 yard box, so the only option is the diagonal pull back. Stop the picture at 0.08 That's Napoli's top scorer, running into our box, in a make or break game. At 0.09, Cavani is running & Yaya is walking. Cavani puts in the effort to win the game & wins it.

Just one big effort from Yaya, & Cavani won't get a pass, the angle wouldn't be there, but he doesn't even try do anything, then it's too late. He can do 100M in about 10.5 but he hasn't got it in him to sprint ten to protect his team. Much slower. less fit players than Yaya, would have busted a gut to get there & change that situation.

I'm sorry, but great player though he is, this is a common sight & if it was Ireland or Ged Brannen or Maicon or any other unfashionable player, they would get serious shit for it. He was the same with Ribery at Bayern; letting him go, & he was far to slack stopping Cavani getting a touch from the corner for the 1st goal.

Yaya has been involved in quite a few incidents like this in Europe, even going back to UEFA Cup games a few years ago.

That goal agaist us was as much Zabb aand NDJ fault as it was Yaya.And Cavani a striker timing his run into the box and getting it right comes as a shock,bloody hell.
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:29 pm

Rag_hater wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
bigblue wrote:

That goal agaist us was as much Zabb aand NDJ fault as it was Yaya.And Cavani a striker timing his run into the box and getting it right comes as a shock,bloody hell.

I didn't say it wasn't their fault, I said that whoever is to blame, Yaya can see the danger & has the chance to save the team. They can't see Cavani, he is behind them but he runs right accross Yaya's path. In that position you can go 'well that's not my job'. Or you can run in & save the day, then hand out bollockings to those who made the mistake. Yaya chose not to bother.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby bigblue » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:33 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:There are key moments in games where, even if a player is fucked & even if it's not 'his job' to make a run, or not 'his man' that needs picking up, he forces himself to give that extra yard, even if it means he'll be so fucked he has to come off, because the team needs it. I shouldn't have to tell you this, it's a fundemental fact for successful centre mid players over the history of football.

Ted Hughes wrote:In that position you can go 'well that's not my job'. Or you can run in & save the day, then hand out bollockings to those who made the mistake. Yaya chose not to bother.

Name one world class midfielder in the history of football who would routinely save the day and "be so fucked he has to come off"...

After all if they are world class/successful, wouldn't their team rather have them on the field than fucked/knackered/broken down on the sidelines?

And in the video NDJ was by far the most at fault. Didn't follow his man after they made the pass. I don't even know if Yaya would have caught up with Cavani. Would have been better for a defender (Kompany I think) to step up or NDJ to just follow his man.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:40 pm

bigblue wrote:

Strange that none of our players or fellow professionals seems to share this view of Yaya. Everyone at City holds him in the highest respect and I've never seen the slightest peep out of anyone that they do not like playing with him. The only people who say they don;t like being on the same field as him is opposing midfielders. Quit talking shit.

When does anyone from within football say anything bad about anyone, Answer never. It's a tough one is the stock answer to anything close to he is a lazy twat at times. Like many others he has bad games, CC AWAY BEING ONE OF THEM get over it.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby bigblue » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:45 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
bigblue wrote:

When does anyone from within football say anything bad about anyone, Answer never. It's a tough one is the stock answer to anything close to he is a lazy twat at times. Like many others he has bad games, CC AWAY BEING ONE OF THEM get over it.

The fact that you call Yaya a lazy twat makes you completely ungrateful about our current situation and the quality of players that we are able to have.

This is the man who scored vs the rags in the semi and the winning goal in the FA cup. The first name on the team sheet in our title winning season. A truly world class individual plying at Manchester City.

I would have previously thought that a City fan calling Yaya a lazy twat would be unthinkable. Unless you are saying that in jest, you're a fucking joke of a supporter.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:47 pm

bigblue wrote:
Lets translate this to business/professional setting.

Theres a salesman Bob, who is one of the best salesmen in the country, and can sell 20 cars/week consistently. Two weeks a year Bob sells 25 cars/week!

Now, is Bob performing at 100% normally (since he is one of the best in the country) or his he only performing at 80% every week, then for some reason steps it up to 100% two weeks a year?

I would argue that Bob (and Yaya) are performing at 95-100% of their ability for most of the year. Those exceptional weeks/performances are more results of situation (for Bob it may be the holiday season or the week before business taxes are due. For Yaya it might be a big game that makes other players more nervous than him or a team that fails to lineup properly against him.)

Not really, because in business where performance counts, people very rarely work at 100% of capacity for long, and people almost never work at that level without an inspirational motivator behind them.

This is sort of the analogy I had with Mancini's motivational issues, in that a players natural performance level may be about 80% of ability. Another 10% may come from the players own 'getup and go' and the remaining 10% from the managers motivation. The manager can actually demotivate, and you may end up with some players at 70% which is what I believe we had for much of f last season.

When playing at elite levels of sport, if you are at your natural level of 80% you can probably get by if you are one of the very best and your 80% is still better than most normal players' 90%. Yaya might up his own game in the very big games to 90%, but when was the last time he played 90 minutes of truly world class performance?

The problem is that if all of your top stars are at 80% most of the time, your teams performances are gonna be very hit and miss in the context of a title fight, particularly if you are up against bacon who will get 100% out of most of the team most of the time, and therefore the count's job in my eyes is to direct the players into a unit, and motivate the players upto that sprt of level of consistency.

If he cracks that, we will do well. If he doesnt, and mourinho or moyes do, they will be successful and we will appear to underperform relative to our peers and wont really have moved on from mancini in that respect.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum