do we really need 4 strikers?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: do we really need 4 strikers?

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:28 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
Not really random though is it? Goatee even said in his book that he figured out he was being booed because city fans saw a lack of effort. He then upped his work rate, combine that with his goals and he was a cult hero.

Nobody stopping Dzeko breaking into a light jog once in a while.

Exactly - if someone mentions Goater, you don't immediately think lazy, mard arsed bastard. Dzeko's goal per minute ratio will stand up with any City striker, but that's unlikely to be how he's remembered. Improving your goal rate is difficult, putting the effort in isn't. To make it worse, he hasn't even got Mario to be compared favourably against anymore.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:39 am

Dzeko's supposed laziness gets exaggarated as well. He has always been opportunistic striker whose thing is to be at the right place at the right time. If he was headlessly running after every ball Tevez style he would never be there for those tap ins. That's simply not his game.

I get that people want better striker but it's the venom that's baffling. He REALLY is not as bad as some claim him to be while not maybe world class either. Bit like Edghill.

Re:the original question, we consistently play two up front. If we'd have only three strikers only one injury would immediately either tie Engineers hands or force him to change tactics. What we need is four genuine quality strikers and fifth youngster who can do something in case of emergency. We play roughly 60 games every (good) year.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:26 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Dzeko's supposed laziness gets exaggarated as well. He has always been opportunistic striker whose thing is to be at the right place at the right time. If he was headlessly running after every ball Tevez style he would never be there for those tap ins. That's simply not his game. I get that people want better striker but it's the venom that's baffling. He REALLY is not as bad as some claim him to be while not maybe world class either. Bit like Edghill. Re:the original question, we consistently play two up front. If we'd have only three strikers only one injury would immediately either tie Engineers hands or force him to change tactics. What we need is four genuine quality strikers and fifth youngster who can do something in case of emergency. We play roughly 60 games every (good) year.
effort is more than just chasing down though.

Would you say he gives it all at say, link up play, finding the passing lanes or even ball retention?
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:40 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Dzeko's supposed laziness gets exaggarated as well. He has always been opportunistic striker whose thing is to be at the right place at the right time. If he was headlessly running after every ball Tevez style he would never be there for those tap ins. That's simply not his game. I get that people want better striker but it's the venom that's baffling. He REALLY is not as bad as some claim him to be while not maybe world class either. Bit like Edghill. Re:the original question, we consistently play two up front. If we'd have only three strikers only one injury would immediately either tie Engineers hands or force him to change tactics. What we need is four genuine quality strikers and fifth youngster who can do something in case of emergency. We play roughly 60 games every (good) year.
effort is more than just chasing down though.

Would you say he gives it all at say, link up play, finding the passing lanes or even ball retention?

Look, just to get this straight, I'm no Dzeko fanboy. For better or for worse, he is what he is and should be taken as such. The kind of venom he gets though is laughable. He isn't even half as bad as you'd think by reading this site.

Does he give his all in those situations? Hmmmm.... I think people are looking this the wrong way. Are those part of his game or stuff he is looking to do would be better question. Those might be part of Tevez' and Aguero's (piss funny when my boy calls him Aku-eeeero btw, makes me laugh just thinking about it) game who seem to be the yardstick here. Like I said, he is an opportunistic guy. Rather than trying to create chances he is looking to be in right place to score himself. And that he does quite well. He is like big Pippo Inzaghi, as a footballer he is lacking but as a goalscorer he is fantastic.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:43 am

Breks wrote:
MilnersJaw wrote:
Cry me a river you spastic.

spastic? Thats not politically correct is it. Ever thought there might be people on here who have disabled relative and you go and use terminology like that, scummy as fuck you are.

For what it's worth we used to have one well respected poster who was in that situation and felt offended by the word. Doesn't post much anymore and I've been guilty of it as well but just to mention.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:48 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote: Look, just to get this straight, I'm no Dzeko fanboy. For better or for worse, he is what he is and should be taken as such. The kind of venom he gets though is laughable. He isn't even half as bad as you'd think by reading this site. Does he give his all in those situations? Hmmmm.... I think people are looking this the wrong way. Are those part of his game or stuff he is looking to do would be better question. Those might be part of Tevez' and Aguero's (piss funny when my boy calls him Aku-eeeero btw, makes me laugh just thinking about it) game who seem to be the yardstick here. Like I said, he is an opportunistic guy. Rather than trying to create chances he is looking to be in right place to score himself. And that he does quite well. He is like big Pippo Inzaghi, as a footballer he is lacking but as a goalscorer he is fantastic.

Agreed.

I don't think he's horrible, but his obvious disgust at his situation with zero attempt to take any of the responsibly for it will push people's noses out of joint a bit, hence the far fetched slanging.

As far as poaching goes, I've coached quite a few goal poachers in my time and my comments to them are that a poached will only be highly successful in a team with the majority of possession. Help us keep it or the spot won't be there for you.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby phips » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:36 pm

yup. our lack of goal threat in the Stoke, Bayern, and Chelsea matches is worrying.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Moonchesteri » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:38 pm

HOW THE FUCK IS FABREGAS NOT BOOKED?! AGAIN!

Oops.wrong thread
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby PeterParker » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:04 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:HOW THE FUCK IS FABREGAS NOT BOOKED?! AGAIN!

Oops.wrong thread

Fucking Lescott.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Clowncrete » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:17 pm

phips wrote:yup. our lack of goal threat in the Stoke, Bayern, and Chelsea matches is worrying.

We need a direct pacy winger in the Shurrle/Hazard mould. There are times when Nasri and Silva just can't open defenses and keep passing sideways. Our counter-attacks are also slow and terrible. A young Bellamy would be amazing.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby MilnersJaw » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:24 pm

phips wrote:yup. our lack of goal threat in the Stoke, Bayern, and Chelsea matches is worrying.

We were playing 2 strikers today. It wasn't a case we didn't have enough.
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silver

Postby phips » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:50 pm

MilnersJaw wrote:

We were playing 2 strikers today. It wasn't a case we didn't have enough.

thats exactly my point. we played 2 and offered no goal threat until Lampard scored.

relying on goals from midfield, like Yaya's contribution last season, is folly.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:48 pm

I don't think the number of strikers is the issue, but we certainly don't seem to be making clear cut chances for them at the moment. It is a bit of a concern that our goal-scoring has dropped off, with only 2 in four games, one from a corner. Ironic that is the case just when with Vinnie, Mangala and the two Ferns we can put out a really solid defence if we wish.

Jojo's directness is a good alternative for us, so it's been a real loss to have him injured for the last three tough matches. We were far better than Chelsea for all but the five minutes after Zabba's card today, but the number of shots on/off target was disappointing, as were the corners. Most of the balls to Dzeko were just the wrong side of him and we couldn't get Aguero clear. We will get it sorted I'm sure, but it has cost us some important results already (as have officials, but those we can't sort alone!).
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Slim » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:43 am

To answer the OP's question, when have we actually had 4 strikers?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum