League confidence barometer

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Will we win the league?

yes
65%
no
35%

Total votes : 66

League confidence barometer

Postby dazby » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:15 pm

Heavy home wins, narrow away losses. Which is the true indicator and how will it impact our season. Your votes please.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Re: League confidence barometer

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:16 pm

I think we'll win it, and in fine style.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Slim » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:22 pm

Daft.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:22 pm

ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Sister of fu » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:33 pm

The only team that can beat us is us...

We sort the away form out and back line we will win it. There is no better forward line or midfield IMO plus we have a good depth to the squad.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Breks » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:48 pm

Sister of fu wrote:The only team that can beat us is us...

We sort the away form out and back line we will win it. There is no better forward line or midfield IMO plus we have a good depth to the squad.

Great depth because Englands number 1 is currently our number 2.
Breks
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Pablo Zabaleta

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:50 pm

Too early to say either way with any conviction.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Invisible Man Fan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:57 pm

When, not if, we sort our away form out we will pick up some real pace.

At the minute it's very much like the Big One at Blackpool, when it's good it's really good, when it's bad, well its still ok, but a bit of a let down.

Teams fear us at home, nobody turns up to the Etihad expecting a point.

We now need to carry that home form into our away games and we will win the league.

Arsenal as ever will fall away. I genuinely believe our biggest rivals for the league to be Chelsea.

2 Horse race by March, mark my words
"If we fire our manager after just one bad season - We'll become Chelsea"
"If we think we can fix the problem by buying expensive players - We'll become City"
"If we remember the good times to entertain us during the bad times - We'll become Liverpool"

So, keep calm and do it the United way

"We invest in young players, That is what we are good at — we’re not like other clubs who can spend fortunes on proven goods. We know that Manchester City are going to pay stupid money, pay silly salaries and all that. We can’t do anything about it. We concentrate on what we can do to try to bring players in for the right reasons. We invest in those who will be with the club for a long time, who will create the character of the club, who will create excitement for our fans. We are very proud of that and we are going to continue that way" - Alex Ferguson 14th May 2012
Invisible Man Fan
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: City!!
My favourite player is: Alan

Postby ross.mcfc » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:09 pm

Chelsea will win the league this season.

Loving this season so far but we look like dropping a lot of silly points this season. A close 2nd and at least the quarter final of the CL and I will be very confident that we will be ready to shift gears next season.
ross.mcfc

Postby zuricity » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:34 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:Chelsea will win the league this season.

Loving this season so far but we look like dropping a lot of silly points this season. A close 2nd and at least the quarter final of the CL and I will be very confident that we will be ready to shift gears next season.

Chelsea are a disaster waiting to happen.Even Basel drubbed them twice.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby ruralblue » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:42 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:.

Busy
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby Lee_R » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:54 pm

On current form no.
Lee_R

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David White

Postby Tesl » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:22 pm

If Arsenal keep up their form all season they will probably somehow win it, but I don't see that happening. They will come unstuck at some point ... I hope.

Chelsea just don't look good to me and I think they will keep dropping points. Its really there for the taking, but we are beating ourselves and making it really difficult. So its too hard to call.

I think if we manage to stop shooting ourselves in the foot and get to the top of the table, we won't let it go after that point. This team has the ability not only to win the league but to win by a considerable margin separate from the pack. I don't think we'll be able to pull away though as we've already given ourselves a fair bit of catching up to do.
Tesl
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: City

Postby Clowncrete » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:38 pm

If we get all 57 points at home, which actually seems possible, we only need 25 or 30 points away to win the league in a season where every team is dropping points. In the 2010-11 season, Rags had 80 points. They only won 4 or 5 games away, while had a almost perfect home record. I don't see Arsenal or Chelsea grinding out 85+ points this season, so it's up for grabs.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:54 pm

Clowncrete wrote:If we get all 57 points at home, which actually seems possible, we only need 25 or 30 points away to win the league in a season where every team is dropping points. In the 2010-11 season, Rags had 80 points. They only won 4 or 5 games away, while had a almost perfect home record. I don't see Arsenal or Chelsea grinding out 85+ points this season, so it's up for grabs.

I think it's important not to get too bogged down in the mathematics.
Same goes to all those who were saying things like 'we can only afford to lose 5 matches' to win the league' etc etc, or that we'll need 'x' amount of points.
It doesn't matter so much about the points total, as long as we're within touching distance of the top going into the end of the season, (something we failed to do last season) then we'll give ourselves an excellent chance.

We've certainly been the best at home, but sides like Arsenal and Liverpool have been far better at grinding out results away from home than we have.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Goaters 103 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:03 pm

Until we see something that resembles consistent away performance talk of the league title is a pipe dream.

We remain a Cup side on what Ive seen this season. A classic "on our day" team. On a good day we destroy teams eg Utd, Spurs, Norwich. On a bad day we lose to shit ones eg Cardiff, Villa, Sunderland.

Dry bumming Spurs and Norwich is obviously very entertaining but it doesnt get us anywhere if we then go and lose at Wba and Sonton.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Clowncrete » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:07 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
Clowncrete wrote:If we get all 57 points at home, which actually seems possible, we only need 25 or 30 points away to win the league in a season where every team is dropping points. In the 2010-11 season, Rags had 80 points. They only won 4 or 5 games away, while had a almost perfect home record. I don't see Arsenal or Chelsea grinding out 85+ points this season, so it's up for grabs.

I think it's important not to get too bogged down in the mathematics.
Same goes to all those who were saying things like 'we can only afford to lose 5 matches' to win the league' etc etc, or that we'll need 'x' amount of points.
It doesn't matter so much about the points total, as long as we're within touching distance of the top going into the end of the season, (something we failed to do last season) then we'll give ourselves an excellent chance.

We've certainly been the best at home, but sides like Arsenal and Liverpool have been far better at grinding out results away from home than we have.

What needs to be seen is whether both Arsenal and Liverpool can sustain themselves in the next 2 months when fatigue and injuries start mounting. For example, if Liverpool lose Suarez to transfer or injury, they have no chance of top 4, forget the title. If Arsenal don't sign a striker and have to rely on Giroud, it can come to bite them if he gets injured. Lastly, having seen Arsenal collapse twice in the recent past after new year, it remains to be seen whether they have the fortitude to go all the way.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby Blue Since 76 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:23 pm

I think (hope) that Sunderland was a wake up call and the team, and especially Pellegrini, realise that you can't just go away to poor sides and beat them without trying. We also don't have the CL distracting Pellegrini and causing him to pick strange sides in the league for another few months (assuming we play a second string tonight and Bayern win making that game a non-event).

Our next couple of away games are potential banana skins, but play properly and they're winnable. Two easy wins at home as well and we could be almost top and on a run and if that happens I don't think we'll be caught. These away games are therefore crucial in proving if we're the real deal or not up to it
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby zuricity » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:32 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:I think (hope) that Sunderland was a wake up call and the team, and especially Pellegrini, realise that you can't just go away to poor sides and beat them without trying. We also don't have the CL distracting Pellegrini and causing him to pick strange sides in the league for another few months (assuming we play a second string tonight and Bayern win making that game a non-event).

Our next couple of away games are potential banana skins, but play properly and they're winnable. Two easy wins at home as well and we could be almost top and on a run and if that happens I don't think we'll be caught. These away games are therefore crucial in proving if we're the real deal or not up to it

4th wake up call, but you're right some solid victories going into the Arse game should sort a few things out.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby sheblue » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:40 pm

Very simple for me just sort out the away form and the cups in the bag.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum