Messi to City now 'thinkable'

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Messi to City now 'thinkable'

Postby Fesan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:46 pm

nottsblue wrote:If reports over his contract are to be believed, £330k after tax per week, is he worth breaking the bank for?

Last year I'd have said yes, but I'm not so sure now. Especially seen as how it would be a huge transfer outlay as well. Much as I'd love a player of his calibre at City, economically it can't be justified

Certain players would increase a clubs marketvalue by so much that it is fiscally responsible to pay that much. Messi is one of the few players like that. I am sure he would increase the income of the club by more than the pricetag+wages.
Fesan
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby phips » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:57 pm

no
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby MilnersJaw » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:01 pm

Fesan wrote:
Certain players would increase a clubs marketvalue by so much that it is fiscally responsible to pay that much. Messi is one of the few players like that. I am sure he would increase the income of the club by more than the pricetag+wages.

Only if we retain a chunk of his images rights which I doubt he would do.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silver

Postby Crossie » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:09 pm

I'd rather have Aguero and Silva fit for 38 games each a season than add Messi and watch him get knobled every single game.

Just not that fussed and we dont really need him.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby zuricity » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:13 pm

A cheeky bid for Isco. He's bulked up a bit and looking good this season.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:26 pm

MilnersJaw wrote:
Fesan wrote:

We wouldnt need to do that. Messi would keep 100% of any personal deals he does individually (boot deals, pepsi etc). He would however have to do some promotional works for the club (allow his image to be used on a asian credit card etc). this would be MCFC income.

I totally agree with what Fesan says, our marketvalue skyrockets with Messi and the numbers stack up.

So lets say Messi cost a transfer fee of £150m and a wage of £300k per week. over a 5 year contract, that works out at £45m per year.

We can then negotiate a better shirt deal from £12m to £30m, an increase of £18m mainly due to Messi. We could renegotiate the Etihad deal from £35m per year to £50m, an increase of £15m (with Messi and co. to appear in a few adverts. all we would need then is 3-4 companies willing to pay £3-5m per year to use MCFC logo and image of players on their product and we essentially have Messi for FREE.

PS. I may have overestimated the shirt deal as we would probably be due an increase anyway but then i think i have underestimated the Etihad deal.
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Benjay » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:52 pm

No. Platini will have a seizure and I am not as cocky about FFP as others.
Benjay
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: Milner

Postby Fesan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:57 pm

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:
MilnersJaw wrote:
Fesan wrote:

We wouldnt need to do that. Messi would keep 100% of any personal deals he does individually (boot deals, pepsi etc). He would however have to do some promotional works for the club (allow his image to be used on a asian credit card etc). this would be MCFC income.

I totally agree with what Fesan says, our marketvalue skyrockets with Messi and the numbers stack up.

So lets say Messi cost a transfer fee of £150m and a wage of £300k per week. over a 5 year contract, that works out at £45m per year.

We can then negotiate a better shirt deal from £12m to £30m, an increase of £18m mainly due to Messi. We could renegotiate the Etihad deal from £35m per year to £50m, an increase of £15m (with Messi and co. to appear in a few adverts. all we would need then is 3-4 companies willing to pay £3-5m per year to use MCFC logo and image of players on their product and we essentially have Messi for FREE.

PS. I may have overestimated the shirt deal as we would probably be due an increase anyway but then i think i have underestimated the Etihad deal.

Exactly my point. Add onto that all the shirts we'll sell with "10 Messi". All the little younglings who'll start following City and buy tickets, merchandise etc. for the next 60 years.

Getting the best player of this generation on our team would make us a truly global team which will attract sponsors and revenue from fans like never before. Its the last piece of the puzzle as far as marketing and branding goes.
Fesan
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Lee_R » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:02 pm

Benjay wrote:No. Platini will have a seizure and I am not as cocky about FFP as others.

And he'd do what? Ban us from Europe? Messi not being on Europes biggest stage would make a mockery of the competition anyway.
Lee_R
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David White

Postby Benjay » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:18 pm

I have no idea but at some point they will make a statement. To make such a big deal of FFP to then disregard it does not make sense. Anyway I dont want to get into a discussion about it. Agree to disagree. Its been a long day.
Benjay

Postby Original Dub » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:43 pm

Fesan wrote:
Exactly my point. Add onto that all the shirts we'll sell with "10 Messi". All the little younglings who'll start following City and buy tickets, merchandise etc. for the next 60 years.

Getting the best player of this generation on our team would make us a truly global team which will attract sponsors and revenue from fans like never before. Its the last piece of the puzzle as far as marketing and branding goes.

Nail on head
Original Dub

Postby lets all have a disco » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:03 pm

I'd still start Garcia over him.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Socrates » Sun May 04, 2014 6:03 am

Benjay wrote:I have no idea but at some point they will make a statement. To make such a big deal of FFP to then disregard it does not make sense. Anyway I dont want to get into a discussion about it. Agree to disagree. Its been a long day.

We wouldn't be disregarding FFP. Messi is 26, we could give him a long contract to spread the amortisation, say 8 years? £20 million a year of amortisation plus about the same in wages would be substantially offset, maybe even fully, by the increased merchandising etc.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby john@staustell » Sun May 04, 2014 6:15 am

I see Barcelona have cocked it up again. Not a happy camp.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby john@staustell » Tue May 13, 2014 2:58 pm

Sport.es report

Messi will sign again at Barca, probably before Saturday. 20 M euros NET per season plus 5 more in variables.

Ah well worth a try.

http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/barca/p ... si-3272060
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Benjay » Tue May 13, 2014 3:04 pm

At least it avoids us being involved in a summer long transfer story that goes nowhere. Like the John Terry one a few years back.
Benjay

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Tue May 13, 2014 3:05 pm

Last edited by Bridge'srightfoot on Tue May 13, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Tue May 13, 2014 3:05 pm

Would rather have Hazard. Imagine what he could do with a manager who embraces attacking football.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Original Dub » Tue May 13, 2014 3:12 pm

Hazard over Messi?

Wow.
Original Dub

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Tue May 13, 2014 3:45 pm

Original Dub wrote:Hazard over Messi?

Wow.

Yes. I was far more impressed watching Hazard then Messi at the Etihad.
Not saying he's the better player but he's a few years younger, would cost far less and we know he can do it in the PL.
Messi will always be regarded as Barca boy. Leave it at that. Don't want him.
Given the freedom of a manager like Pellegrini Hazard could reach the level of Tranny and Messi.
Don't particularly want any of those cheats from Barca anyway.
Last edited by Bridge'srightfoot on Tue May 13, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bridge'srightfoot

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum