Messi to City now 'thinkable'

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Messi to City now 'thinkable'

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Wed May 14, 2014 6:44 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:He does mate. It's the Barca way. Dive, fall over, feign injury, mouth off to the ref and he's part of it. He was part of the crew doing it against us. You don't like Ronaldo for the same reason, I don't like Messi.
Yes he is arguably the greatest player of all time, don't like him as a person and we don't need him. I'd rather see us buy someone far cheaper and let them develop into one of our own. Messi will always be known as being a Barca boy.
This isn't football manager. Our squad is settled, they play for each other and the manager. Apart from a centre back and maybe a left back, we don't need any big signings.

For the money we'd have to spend it's not worth it and who's to say he'd have the same impact in the Premier League?
Given the choice I'd rather pay 40 million or so on Hazard who would absolutely shine under a manager like ours then pay 200 million or whatever on Messi.

You're comparing ronaldo's fair play to messi's?

Oh ffs I've heard it all now.

Why do you even bother getting involved in a debate when all you do is seek one line put downs? You're one of the most intellectual and insightful posters when you actually engage rather than rolling your eyes.

There's several reasons I don't want Messi. I think he's a cheat and not a particularly nice guy, just look at how he was against us. But he gets away with it a lot more, maybe not Ronaldo standard but he was part of the Barca diving crew who faced us. Then there's the absurd price it would cost and also I don't think it would be beneficial for us in the long run. He also might not have the same impact in the Premier League. This isn't football manager. Then there's the fact that he would instantly become the centre of attention and we've been brilliant as a team this year.

I think it would be silly for us to spend such a large amount on any one player that we don't actually need and think it would be more beneficial to make sensible additions throughout the squad where needed.
Then there's the fact that it brings back memories of the Kaka situation, he was arguably the best player in the world, we missed out and were incredibly lucky to do so. He was the same age as Messi and rapidly went downhill.
We don't need him.

So given the choice I'd rather spend 40 million on Hazard then 200 million (at least) on Messi.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby zuricity » Wed May 14, 2014 7:45 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:Why do you even bother getting involved in a debate when all you do is seek one line put downs? You're one of the most intellectual and insightful posters when you actually engage rather than rolling your eyes.

There's several reasons I don't want Messi. I think he's a cheat and not a particularly nice guy, just look at how he was against us. But he gets away with it a lot more, maybe not Ronaldo standard but he was part of the Barca diving crew who faced us. Then there's the absurd price it would cost and also I don't think it would be beneficial for us in the long run. He also might not have the same impact in the Premier League. This isn't football manager. Then there's the fact that he would instantly become the centre of attention and we've been brilliant as a team this year.

I think it would be silly for us to spend such a large amount on any one player that we don't actually need and think it would be more beneficial to make sensible additions throughout the squad where needed.
Then there's the fact that it brings back memories of the Kaka situation, he was arguably the best player in the world, we missed out and were incredibly lucky to do so. He was the same age as Messi and rapidly went downhill.
We don't need him.

So given the choice I'd rather spend 40 million on Hazard then 200 million (at least) on Messi.

You seem to have a problem with Messi. You say that you find several reasons you don't want Messi . What are those several reasons ?

A cheat . when exactly ?

Not a particularly nice guy ? really ...

for what reasons ?

He comes over as a likeable guy !

"Just look how he was against us " .

Eh ?

He didn't have a great game ,but he certainly wasn't bad.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Wed May 14, 2014 7:58 pm

zuricity wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:Why do you even bother getting involved in a debate when all you do is seek one line put downs? You're one of the most intellectual and insightful posters when you actually engage rather than rolling your eyes.

We don't need him.

You seem to have a problem with Messi. You say that you find several reasons you don't want Messi . What are those several reasons ?

A cheat . when exactly ?

Not a particularly nice guy ? really ...

for what reasons ?

He comes over as a likeable guy !

"Just look how he was against us " .

Eh ?

He didn't have a great game ,but he certainly wasn't bad.

I just don't like him mate. Whenever I see him he's throws himself to the ground, play acts and is a right mouthy little fucker. He was doing all those things along with his Barce mates against us.
I've given the other reasons.

1.) Price- absurd.
2.) I think we should learn from what happened with Kaka. Great players can suddenly lose it.
3.) There's no guarantee he would be as effective here and I don't think he would be.
4.) I'd much rather us spend the money on areas we actually need improvement. We scored 150 goals last season, we are not struggling in that department.
5.) He's a Barca legend and always will be. I want someone who we can call one of ours.
It's not going to happen anyway.
[youtube]xSLxa3MYMcw[/youtube]

I accept that people don't want us to sign Ronaldo but people seem unable to accept I wouldn't want Messi.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby zuricity » Wed May 14, 2014 8:00 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:I just don't like him mate. Whenever I see him he's throws himself to the ground, play acts and is a right mouthy little fucker. He was doing all those things along with his Barce mates against us.

1.) Price- absurd.
2.) I think we should learn from what happened with Kaka. Great players can suddenly lose it.
3.) There's no guarantee he would be as effective here.
4.) I'd much rather us spend the money on areas we actually need improvement. We scored 150 goals last season, we are not struggling in that department.
5.) He's a Barca legend and always will be. I want someone who we can call one of ours.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSLxa3MYMcw">YouTube Link</a>

I accept that people don't want us to sign Ronaldo but people seem unable to accept I wouldn't want Messi.

Messi ? throws himself to the ground ?

Er , i don't think so

Are you confusing him with Suarez or Ronaldo ?
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Wed May 14, 2014 8:01 pm

zuricity wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:I just don't like him mate. Whenever I see him he's throws himself to the ground, play acts and is a right mouthy little fucker. He was doing all those things along with his Barce mates against us.

1.) Price- absurd.
3.) There's no guarantee he would be as effective here.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSLxa3MYMcw">YouTube Link</a>

Messi ? throws himself to the ground ?

Er , i don't think so

Are you confusing him with Suarez or Ronaldo ?

Look at the video I posted. What's the point in asking what the reasons are and not responding to any of them?
It's not even the main reason I don't want him. I just don't think it would be worth it all things considered.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Clowncrete » Wed May 14, 2014 8:15 pm

Your "he is a Barca legend, I want my own" is such a stupid reason with no logic whatsoever. How exactly do people reply to something like that?
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Wed May 14, 2014 8:25 pm

Clowncrete wrote:Your "he is a Barca legend, I want my own" is such a stupid reason with no logic whatsoever. How exactly do people reply to something like that?

Why? Its a personal reason. I would love us to find the next big player and make him a star and by the sounds of it that is what we are doing rather than spend hundreds of millions on someone elses.

All in all it wouldn't be beneficial to us in the long run imo.
I'm not doubting he's the greatest player ever because I would agree that he is the best but he's not coming here anyway so all of this is a bit pointless.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby JamieMCFC » Wed May 14, 2014 8:31 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
Clowncrete wrote:Your "he is a Barca legend, I want my own" is such a stupid reason with no logic whatsoever. How exactly do people reply to something like that?

Why? Its a personal reason. I would love us to find the next big player and make him a star and by the sounds of it that is what we are doing rather than spend hundreds of millions on someone elses.

I'm not doubting he's the greatest player ever because I would agree that he is the best but he's not coming here anyway so all of this is a bit pointless.

Why wouldn't it be beneficial to us?
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Clowncrete » Wed May 14, 2014 8:40 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:

Who have we signed that would develop into a top-class star? Jovetic was the only "young" player we signed in the last few years. Rodwell? Sinclair? Unless you are talking about the academy or EDs kids who may or may not touch the same level.

Messi is probably the most popular player on earth currently and would make a statement like no other. Not even Pratini can ignore the team with the best player. He is a galactico in the truest sense. By no means would it hurt us in the long run, if it drags an entire generation of kids to watch and support City. Did it hurt Barca to have Ronaldinho?

The only real argument is that we would have to change the team to accommodate him. In a sense, it's true that we don't lack in the attacking department, and need defensive reinforcements instead.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Wed May 14, 2014 8:43 pm

JamieMCFC wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:

Why wouldn't it be beneficial to us?

I've given the reasons mate but i'll say them again.
Firstly, to get him would cost an extortionate amount and I'm not so sure we should pay that amount when imo there is a lot of risk involved. We need to learn from the Kaka situation. He was arguably the best in the world and we wanted to break the world record. We missed out and his career took a nose dive. He was 26 at the time too. Sometimes the very best players can just lose it, the same happened with Ronaldinho.
Then there's no guarantee he'd be as effective in the Premier League, no doubt he'd be class but everyone scores more in Spain then they do here, heck even Soldado was prolific over there. I'm not saying Messi would flop here by any means and I'm certainly not comparing him to Soldado but I don't think he'd be as effective. Defences here are far more organized and often the likes of Palace or Stoke can shut out great attacking teams. I remember seeing him play against Chelsea two years back at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea stuck 11 men behind the ball and he just couldn't break through, he'd face a lot of that in England.
He'd also get nowhere near the protection here that he does in Spain. Wait until some big fucker like Robert Huth sticks his size 12's up him which all players except Rags seem to get subjected to.

Then as others have pointed out his body has taken a hell of a beating for a 26 year old and he's played an extraordinary amount of games for someone his age. I'm not sure how much longer he can keep going at this level.

Then there's the fact that we don't actually need him. Goalscoring was not a problem and we should focus our money and time on other positions and younger players and continue to build a great team.

Just my opinion mate.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby nottsblue » Wed May 14, 2014 8:53 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:I've given the reasons mate but i'll say them again.
Firstly, to get him would cost an extortionate amount and I'm not so sure we should pay that amount when imo there is a lot of risk involved. We need to learn from the Kaka situation. He was arguably the best in the world and we wanted to break the world record. We missed out and his career took a nose dive. He was 26 at the time too. Sometimes the very best players can just lose it, the same happened with Ronaldinho.
Then there's no guarantee he'd be as effective in the Premier League, no doubt he'd be class but everyone scores more in Spain then they do here, heck even Soldado was prolific over there. I'm not saying Messi would flop here by any means and I'm certainly not comparing him to Soldado but I don't think he'd be as effective. Defences here are far more organized and often the likes of Palace or Stoke can shut out great attacking teams. I remember seeing him play against Chelsea two years back at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea stuck 11 men behind the ball and he just couldn't break through, he'd face a lot of that in England.
He'd also get nowhere near the protection here that he does in Spain. Wait until some big fucker like Robert Huth sticks his size 12's up him which all players except Rags seem to get subjected to.

Then as others have pointed out his body has taken a hell of a beating for a 26 year old and he's played an extraordinary amount of games for someone his age. I'm not sure how much longer he can keep going at this level.

Then there's the fact that we don't actually need him. Goalscoring was not a problem and we should focus our money and time on other positions and younger players and continue to build a great team.

Just my opinion mate.

For what my two penneth is worth, I'm in agreement with not wanting Messi.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby JamieMCFC » Wed May 14, 2014 8:54 pm

When it comes to Messi the price would be justifiable. Kaka and Ronaldinho were both great footballers. But when it comes to marketing worldwide right now they are nowhere near Messi. The marketing right now in the game is on a another level. You might think of him as a diving cheat but the majority of the world doesn't. As far as FFP is concerned UEFA wouldn't touch us if we signed him. There are people more powerful than the old G14 when it comes to football now. That would be the networks and advertisers. If we signed Messi and qualified for the Champions League. They aren't going to sit on the sidelines.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Clowncrete » Wed May 14, 2014 9:07 pm

Kaka had many many injuries and Ronaldinho was a party animal who stopped focusing on football. I don't think Messi is the kind who will start partying.

Then there's no guarantee he'd be as effective in the Premier League, no doubt he'd be class but everyone scores more in Spain then they do here, heck even Soldado was prolific over there. I'm not saying Messi would flop here by any means and I'm certainly not comparing him to Soldado but I don't think he'd be as effective. Defences here are far more organized and often the likes of Palace or Stoke can shut out great attacking teams. I remember seeing him play against Chelsea two years back at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea stuck 11 men behind the ball and he just couldn't break through, he'd face a lot of that in England..

Barca's slow build-up play allows most teams to organise and park the bus. Hardly Messi's fault. Guardiola did the same to Bayern and screwed them up. It was the same problem we had at the end of Mancini's era and Pellegrini has solved it.

Silva, Aguero, Negredo, Navas all came from the la liga and all of them have done well for the most part.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Wed May 14, 2014 9:11 pm

Clowncrete wrote:

Kaka had many many injuries and Ronaldinho was a party animal who stopped focusing on football. I don't think Messi is the kind who will start partying.

Then there's no guarantee he'd be as effective in the Premier League, no doubt he'd be class but everyone scores more in Spain then they do here, heck even Soldado was prolific over there. I'm not saying Messi would flop here by any means and I'm certainly not comparing him to Soldado but I don't think he'd be as effective. Defences here are far more organized and often the likes of Palace or Stoke can shut out great attacking teams. I remember seeing him play against Chelsea two years back at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea stuck 11 men behind the ball and he just couldn't break through, he'd face a lot of that in England..

Barca's slow build-up play allows most teams to organise and park the bus. Hardly Messi's fault. Guardiola did the same to Bayern and screwed them up. It was the same problem we had at the end of Mancini's era and Pellegrini has solved it.

Silva, Aguero, Negredo, Navas all came from the la liga and all of them have done well for the most part.

Fair enough mate. Agree to disagree. I don't think we'll ever find out either way and I've given all my points.
The great thing though is we're in a position where we can actually say we don't need Messi and who would have thought that just a few years ago?
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Original Dub » Thu May 15, 2014 7:45 am

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:Fair enough mate. Agree to disagree. I don't think we'll ever find out either way and I've given all my points.
The great thing though is we're in a position where we can actually say we don't need Messi and who would have thought that just a few years ago?

I appreciate the compliment mate, but some points deserve short answers.

We do need the best player in world football. Possibly the best player of all time. Every club does.

We could win everything with him over the next 5 years and marvel at him week in, week out.

He is not a diving cheat, he is one of the most honest players I've watched and that is part of the reason he endears himself so much to so many.

Hazard does not deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence and messi is nothing like ronaldo when it comes to fair play.

The rest of your points MAY be arguable, but those two points aren't.
Original Dub

Postby RodneyRodney » Thu May 15, 2014 7:45 am

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:Our squad is settled, they play for each other and the manager

This is the most important statement in this thread.
No from me , porque
1. ) The price would be ridiculous
2.) His arrival would be divisive.
3.) He's faded a little since his mid-season injury - KaKa II ?
4.) Eggs. Baskets.
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby dazby » Thu May 15, 2014 7:50 am

Aguero is our star. We just need him fit.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby JamieMCFC » Thu May 15, 2014 11:30 am

dazby wrote:Aguero is our star. We just need him fit.

Like Kompany I think he's someone that will miss sometime because of injury.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Thu May 15, 2014 11:53 am

Original Dub wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:Fair enough mate. Agree to disagree. I don't think we'll ever find out either way and I've given all my points.

I appreciate the compliment mate, but some points deserve short answers.

We do need the best player in world football. Possibly the best player of all time. Every club does.

We could win everything with him over the next 5 years and marvel at him week in, week out.

He is not a diving cheat, he is one of the most honest players I've watched and that is part of the reason he endears himself so much to so many.

Hazard does not deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence and messi is nothing like ronaldo when it comes to fair play.

The rest of your points MAY be arguable, but those two points aren't.

Hazard obviously isn't as good as Messi and probably never will be. The point I was making is that I feel he would be a more sensible and less risky signing all things considered than Messi.
I think Hazard with a manager like Pellegrini could be incredible. Just look at the improvements Nasri and Silva (to a lesser extent) have made under him. He probably won't ever reach the Messi or Ronaldo standard but he could be up there with the 'next best' players such as Robben, Ribery and Aguero etc.

So all things considered, Hazard or someone similar and a top class centre back and maybe a centre midfielder would be a better idea then putting all our eggs in one basket.

I would however be very interested to see how Messi got in the PL, he'd certainly score less and defenses here tend to be far more organized and refs don't award the same protection (unless you're Suarez) but I don't think he ever will come here tbh. He'll stick at Barca and then probably head to the States for a final pay day.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby feedthegreek » Fri May 16, 2014 11:58 am

feedthegreek
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum