Manchester City Women FC

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Manchester City Women FC

Postby bobbyspater » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:45 pm

If the first team had a back four of the equivalent quality and consistency they would win everything!
bobbyspater
Carlo Nash's Debut

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: James MIlner

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:04 pm

bobbyspater wrote:If the first team had a back four of the equivalent quality and consistency they would win everything!

a consistent back 4?! what is this strange concept you speak of?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby bobby brows » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:09 pm

Mr H forgot to mention the star of the future...Georgia Stanway. 17, scoring for fun, when she's not pbusy playing for England U17s, has the goal of the season award under her belt and IMO will be the player City build their team around next season. She's could be one of the all time greats if she continues to improve at this pace.
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:30 pm

bobby brows wrote:Mr H forgot to mention the star of the future...Georgia Stanway. 17, scoring for fun, when she's not pbusy playing for England U17s, has the goal of the season award under her belt and IMO will be the player City build their team around next season. She's could be one of the all time greats if she continues to improve at this pace.

Does she track back?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:35 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
bobby brows wrote:Mr H forgot to mention the star of the future...Georgia Stanway. 17, scoring for fun, when she's not pbusy playing for England U17s, has the goal of the season award under her belt and IMO will be the player City build their team around next season. She's could be one of the all time greats if she continues to improve at this pace.

Does she track back?

and do stoke have a women's team that play on a Tuesday night when it's windy and raining that she can play against?
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:00 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

Does she track back?

and do stoke have a women's team that play on a Tuesday night when it's windy and raining that she can play against?

Good point WW.
Bunch of blouses. Carl has them sussed.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:10 pm

I did indeed miss Georgia who does have great potential and even as a 16 year old when she came to City was well worthy of a place on the bench and contributed immediately. Yes she won goal of the season last season and this year scored a hat trick in a win. It was a 3 nil win too. When she moved to City she stayed in a house with a friend of mine. Daphne Corboz was there as well. Daphne is from the USA and a good playmaker who actually is more creative than most in midfield, two good feet but mostly used as a sub in the big games I guess she just isn't as athletic as the others.

Two others worthy of a mention are Megam Campnell and Abbie McManus. Abbie started as a center back when Jen Beattie was injured early season ( or having a break after playing with Melbourne) and she did very well but got a season ending injury after a bunch of games. Megan can either play left back or centre back and has an amazing long throw. Think Rory Delap but better! With these 2 and the regular 4 we have had at the back it's only 6 players for 4 places so it's a good job we only had 2 injuries.

But yes if the first team back 4 were as good as our regular back 4 at their jobs we would win the league for certain.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby South Stand Balti » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:30 pm

A great 2-0 win in the Champs league tonight. It seems a bit harsh to criticise with all the success but we really must learn to kill off games where we create a string of opportunities.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:56 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:A great 2-0 win in the Champs league tonight. It seems a bit harsh to criticise with all the success but we really must learn to kill off games where we create a string of opportunities.

The final third , creating chances and scoring goals is the key weakness in the team imo. It's not that we don't create anything because we do but that's more about having the lion's share of possession so something has to be "created" over 90 minutes. There is just a lack of composure where it really matters and it showed again tonight.

They are all pretty talented but somehow in and around the box a bit of panic gets into them. Tonight it seemd to me lucy Bronze , not for the first time, was th biggest threat. She goes on driving runs down the right side and cutting in which creates mayhem and maybe a chance and it was one of those runs which we scored from when Jill Scott poked home a lose ball. She is so quick,posiyive,direct and powerful and hard to handle and opposing full backs must be frightened to death when she gets going.

It was fitting that she volleyed the winner with thelast kick of the game when corner came to her at the edge of the box. I really would have had no confidence in any other player to have hit a strong shot on target.

Next recruiting for the team has to be a qulaity goal scoring center forward. Jane Ross was brought in to be that and to be fair to her she has done well and scored quite a few. She will always do well in the WPL but somehow I feel we have to go better. watching some of the goals scored last night by Wolfsberg and Bayern ladies tells me we have to be more clinical in the final third if we want to take the next step.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby nottsblue » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:37 pm

Got through in Europe with a 4-0 away win. That is now 19 clean sheets in 24 games this season. Awesome
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Dameerto » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:38 pm

nottsblue wrote:Got through in Europe with a 4-0 away win. That is now 19 clean sheets in 24 games this season. Awesome

Very impressive - and the defence are scoring regularly too, which helps a lot.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby nottsblue » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:45 pm

Dameerto wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Got through in Europe with a 4-0 away win. That is now 19 clean sheets in 24 games this season. Awesome

Did make me wonder whether they play the same way as the men's teams? Because whatever they are doing they are doing it exceptionally well
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby bobby brows » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:30 pm

They've scored from a set piece in each of their last eight games now. Wonder when the last time the first team scored from eight set pieces in a calendar year!

City did what they've been threatening to do for ages and thrashed someone. Clicked in the final third today with Asllani arguably having her best performance since joining. First goal in ages for Izzy Christiansen too.

Draw on Monday, Chelsea and Hibs are out but Barcelona and Bayern Munich are through. Wonder which of the two we'll get.
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Dameerto » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:32 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

Did make me wonder whether they play the same way as the men's teams? Because whatever they are doing they are doing it exceptionally well

They're getting a lot of success for setpieces I think - which I guess is still a weak area for most teams to defend against at the moment.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:55 pm

Whilst it was a very good performance, both legs, I do think the opposition were rubbish and the real tests are to come. And I say that knowing how good their record is especially at home. Chelsea, Arsenal and probably Liverpool and even Birmingham would have beaten that lot.

It will add to the confidence for sure and it would be great to avoid one of the really best teams for one more round.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Dameerto » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:02 pm

8 City players named in Sampson's England squad for their upcoming matches.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:57 pm

Yet still not Kiera Walsh who has been superb for City
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby bobbyspater » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:29 am

Good point Doug. She has been consistently brilliant all season but she's one of those players you tend not to notice if you follow the ball. If you do watch her closely, she's always in the right place at the right time, tackles well and uses the ball positively.
bobbyspater
Carlo Nash's Debut

My favourite player is: James MIlner

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:54 pm

bobbyspater wrote:Good point Doug. She has been consistently brilliant all season but she's one of those players you tend not to notice if you follow the ball. If you do watch her closely, she's always in the right place at the right time, tackles well and uses the ball positively.

All true and still so young. The only thing she hasn't got is pace but so much quality in the rest of her game. An absolute gem.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:30 pm

Ladies have drawn Brondby in the next round.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37677489
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum