Manchester City Women FC

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Manchester City Women FC 2013/2014

Postby Sister of fu » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:44 am

Dameerto wrote:Great to hear - all it needed was investment. City are setting the bar and the rest of the league should be getting very nervous.

Sadly people don’t seem to get that to raise that bar money has to be spent and investment made. City can not be knocked for this. I have seen a lot of negative comments in different media outlets about City Women and a lot come from males. What would a man know about he struggles of being a women footballer. I can imagine that the guys that made these comments could play football for there school team or a local club side when they were growing up?

In the 80s when I was a child there was no where for me to play, girls were not allowed to play in school teams and there were no girls teams around. Can you imagine being the most talented player in your school and not being allowed to play? What City are doing now will allow young girls to look up and see a professional women’s team that they can aspire to play for. I never had that chance as a child growing up to do this. I didn’t get to play a proper game of football with a kit on a proper pitch until I was 12. Women’s football has definitely progressed and moved on since the 80s….
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Sister of fu » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:46 am

Wonderwall wrote:Excellent update Andi, great to hear that you are getting the same focus that the men have, looking forward to the next chappy video where he is laying out all the ladies kit :-) next step a changing room ricaro seat with your name above it

Not far off the mark there....:-)
Sister of fu

Postby Dameerto » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:04 am

Sister of fu wrote:
Sadly people don’t seem to get that to raise that bar money has to be spent and investment made. City can not be knocked for this. I have seen a lot of negative comments in different media outlets about City Women and a lot come from males. What would a man know about he struggles of being a women footballer. I can imagine that the guys that made these comments could play football for there school team or a local club side when they were growing up?

In the 80s when I was a child there was no where for me to play, girls were not allowed to play in school teams and there were no girls teams around. Can you imagine being the most talented player in your school and not being allowed to play? What City are doing now will allow young girls to look up and see a professional women’s team that they can aspire to play for. I never had that chance as a child growing up to do this. I didn’t get to play a proper game of football with a kit on a proper pitch until I was 12. Women’s football has definitely progressed and moved on since the 80s….

It's worth quoting the guest blogger on our official site, he puts in perspective where women's football has come from (and in such a relatively short time):

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/City-Women-n ... eil-Mather

Neil Mather, now Head of Senior School and Sport at Ramillies School in Cheadle, is the man who first formed the original City Ladies more than 25 years ago. Here, he recalls how it all began…

City Women launched last week and I felt privileged to be there as the new-look team was unveiled. We’ve come a long way, believe me!

Back in the mid-1980s, the headquarters of ladies football in England was based in a tiny Manchester office in the Corn Exchange by Linda Whitehead who was the sole administrator for the whole country which is mind-boggling when you think about it.

Everything was regionalised and there was no national league at the point so everything was low profile and on a very small scale. I was one of the first members of the newly-formed City In the Community in late 1986 which was then run by Kevin Glendon.

I was happy to organise the competition at Platt Lane and we had a really good turnout of ladies teams – most of whom were there to enjoy the day, but the two teams who made up the finalists were head and shoulders above the others and at the presentation at the City Social Club a few days later, I started chatting with girls from the two teams who all told me they with various teams around the Greater Manchester area.

I knew little about women’s football at the point so I began to do a little digging and found out that Crewe, Oldham and Preston all had teams. There was a Man United Ladies, but they weren’t associated with the club – it was just what they called themselves and they had no ties.

It planted a seed and I suggested City should form a ladies team and with the idea well received within the club, I went to see Bernard Halford to check it was OK to proceed which he said we were fine to do. I went to see our youth team coach Glyn Pardoe who sorted some kit out for us – albeit a little on the large side – and we advertised in the programme and Manchester Evening News inviting ladies to come down for open trials at Platt Lane.

It was by now November 1988 and the team was made up of varying abilities but we began by playing a number of friendlies, the first of which was away to Oldham on the plastic pitch at Boundary Park.

It was great to start on a proper league pitch and we won 4-2 with Donna Haynes getting two and Heidi Ward – who would later marry Gary James - scoring the other two. We were off and running and we continued to play friendlies for the remainder of the season as the girls began to find their feet.

We received a lot of positive publicity because we were the first big club to form a ladies team – Arsenal, Chelsea, United and Liverpool had no ladies team by that point – and we were on several TV programmes as the profile of ladies football grew and we played a couple of times before City matches at Brentford and Bradford before the senior team kicked off.

It was a great time and we were all enjoying the ride and we joined the North West Women’s League Division Two and by adding a few established players to our squad, we became a good team. We beat United 4-2 in our first Manchester derby and we won promotion at the end of our first campaign so we hit the ground running.

It was grassroots football back then, but having been to the official launch of City Women last month, I can’t believe how far we’ve come. The players were all slim and athletic looking and everything was so slick so I would never have envisaged things coming this far when we first began back in 1988.

It’s fantastic and the Club has done an amazing job with the re-launch and I’m proud to have played my part along the way.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Sister of fu » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:12 am

Dameerto wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:

It's worth quoting the guest blogger on our official site, he puts in perspective where women's football has come from (and in such a relatively short time):

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/City-Women-n ... eil-Mather

Neil Mather, now Head of Senior School and Sport at Ramillies School in Cheadle, is the man who first formed the original City Ladies more than 25 years ago. Here, he recalls how it all began…

City Women launched last week and I felt privileged to be there as the new-look team was unveiled. We’ve come a long way, believe me!

Back in the mid-1980s, the headquarters of ladies football in England was based in a tiny Manchester office in the Corn Exchange by Linda Whitehead who was the sole administrator for the whole country which is mind-boggling when you think about it.

Everything was regionalised and there was no national league at the point so everything was low profile and on a very small scale. I was one of the first members of the newly-formed City In the Community in late 1986 which was then run by Kevin Glendon.

I was happy to organise the competition at Platt Lane and we had a really good turnout of ladies teams – most of whom were there to enjoy the day, but the two teams who made up the finalists were head and shoulders above the others and at the presentation at the City Social Club a few days later, I started chatting with girls from the two teams who all told me they with various teams around the Greater Manchester area.

I knew little about women’s football at the point so I began to do a little digging and found out that Crewe, Oldham and Preston all had teams. There was a Man United Ladies, but they weren’t associated with the club – it was just what they called themselves and they had no ties.

It planted a seed and I suggested City should form a ladies team and with the idea well received within the club, I went to see Bernard Halford to check it was OK to proceed which he said we were fine to do. I went to see our youth team coach Glyn Pardoe who sorted some kit out for us – albeit a little on the large side – and we advertised in the programme and Manchester Evening News inviting ladies to come down for open trials at Platt Lane.

It was by now November 1988 and the team was made up of varying abilities but we began by playing a number of friendlies, the first of which was away to Oldham on the plastic pitch at Boundary Park.

It was great to start on a proper league pitch and we won 4-2 with Donna Haynes getting two and Heidi Ward – who would later marry Gary James - scoring the other two. We were off and running and we continued to play friendlies for the remainder of the season as the girls began to find their feet.

We received a lot of positive publicity because we were the first big club to form a ladies team – Arsenal, Chelsea, United and Liverpool had no ladies team by that point – and we were on several TV programmes as the profile of ladies football grew and we played a couple of times before City matches at Brentford and Bradford before the senior team kicked off.

It was a great time and we were all enjoying the ride and we joined the North West Women’s League Division Two and by adding a few established players to our squad, we became a good team. We beat United 4-2 in our first Manchester derby and we won promotion at the end of our first campaign so we hit the ground running.

It was grassroots football back then, but having been to the official launch of City Women last month, I can’t believe how far we’ve come. The players were all slim and athletic looking and everything was so slick so I would never have envisaged things coming this far when we first began back in 1988.

It’s fantastic and the Club has done an amazing job with the re-launch and I’m proud to have played my part along the way.

Neil ended up running Stockport County while I was at Stockport Girls and I can say that there was no love lost between the two. I have a video of me scoring a hatrick against them and I went mental when I scored. I can’t say I liked him or his team back then but I was 17 years old and a tad immature.
Sister of fu

Postby Alex Sapphire » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:20 am

Sister of fu wrote:Neil ended up running Stockport County while I was at Stockport Girls and I can say that there was no love lost between the two. I have a video of me scoring a hatrick against them and I went mental when I scored. I can’t say I liked him or his team back then but I was 17 years old and a tad immature.

and a striker?
who'da thunk it
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire

Postby Sister of fu » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:33 am

Alex Sapphire wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:Neil ended up running Stockport County while I was at Stockport Girls and I can say that there was no love lost between the two. I have a video of me scoring a hatrick against them and I went mental when I scored. I can’t say I liked him or his team back then but I was 17 years old and a tad immature.

and a striker?
who'da thunk it

I was pretty good to be honest. I could have played outfield if I would have been willing to work harder at my fitness. I was really lazy as a youngster. In my last full season as an outfield player I scored over 30 goals and was player of the season. I agreed if they allowed me one full season to play outfield I would fully commit to being a keeper. Within a year of going back in goal I was picked up by England so I guess it was the correct decision.
Sister of fu

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:35 am

It's not long ago that the general opinion on here was that City should take an interest, as they weren't doing enough.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Sister of fu » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:37 am

Ted Hughes wrote:It's not long ago that the general opinion on here was that City should take an interest, as they weren't doing enough.

I recall sending a PM to Chris Neild about it on here. Things have come a long way in a short space of time.
Sister of fu

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:42 am

Sister of fu wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:It's not long ago that the general opinion on here was that City should take an interest, as they weren't doing enough.

I recall sending a PM to Chris Neild about it on here. Things have come a long way in a short space of time.

It's amazing.

Anyone who tries to put a negative spin on this, is just doing it out of pure jealousy.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Sister of fu » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:50 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:

It's amazing.

Anyone who tries to put a negative spin on this, is just doing it out of pure jealousy.

The comments I have seen are by people that wouldnt have the first clue about the stuggles of women in football. I think they are just anti City in general due to the mens team and the money that has been spent. They ignore the amazing work in the community and all the jobs that have been created. We have a club we can really be proud of.
Sister of fu

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:02 pm

Sister of fu wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:

It's amazing.

The comments I have seen are by people that wouldnt have the first clue about the stuggles of women in football. I think they are just anti City in general due to the mens team and the money that has been spent. They ignore the amazing work in the community and all the jobs that have been created. We have a club we can really be proud of.

Absolutely.

I'm sure you are at the start of something which will have a big positive effect, & I recon the academy will also have a big impact on the mens' game, but there will be some who will try to derail the whole thing.

They won't succeed though.

Onwards & upwards.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Sister of fu » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:11 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:

It's amazing.

Absolutely.

I'm sure you are at the start of something which will have a big positive effect, & I recon the academy will also have a big impact on the mens' game, but there will be some who will try to derail the whole thing.

They won't succeed though.

Onwards & upwards.

Seen the plans for the CFA last night, just blown away. World class facilities for a world class club. We will never want for anything.
Sister of fu

Postby bobby brows » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:12 pm

Fascinating reads. Really looking forward to the season.

Have been very impressed with the standard of WSL so City will have to play well to be up there
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:10 pm

Sister of fu wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:

It's amazing.

I put in a request for Barca away 2 tickets,any news with that.. seriously I used to watch when games were played at Bedians, very good standard of football.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Sister of fu » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:32 pm

I will be in City square prior to KO so lots of heckling please :-)
Sister of fu

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:42 pm

Sister of fu wrote:I will be in City square prior to KO so lots of heckling please :-)

Nice one just chuck the tickets down then !
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Sister of fu » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:53 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:I will be in City square prior to KO so lots of heckling please :-)

How many is it again?? :-)
Sister of fu

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:57 pm

On stage with Natalie and Danny? Ask her for her number please :-)

I will try and make it, but I have to walk past the put to get there.....
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:13 pm

Sister of fu wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

How many is it again?? :-)

I am sorted for my tickets BTW, as you must have been bizzy good look tonight...
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:54 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

On stage with Natalie and Danny? Ask her for her number please :-)

I will try and make it, but I have to walk past the put to get there.....

On the stage pre match and on the pitch at halftime.All right for some.:)
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum