Manchester City Women FC

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Manchester City Women FC 2013/2014

Postby Slim » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:26 am

Sister of fu wrote:
Bleed_Blue wrote:Image

You are closest city player to fans

Love it, thanks.

How come your favourite player isn't you?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Sister of fu » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:30 am

Slim wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:

Love it, thanks.

I don't score enough goals and track back.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Slim » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:32 am

Sister of fu wrote:
Slim wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:

Love it, thanks.

I don't score enough goals and track back.

Tracking back is overrated, WiggerBoyLee said so.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Alex Sapphire » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:05 am

shouldn't that have been in the new members thread.
About ten years ago.
This is great stuff sis. Enjoy every moment and thanks for sharing
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:38 am

Went along to another good training session tonight and saw quality all around.

Andie will have her work cut out to play instead of Karen Bardsley.She looks a really good keeper and must be an imposing sight for strikers in 1 on 1 situations.Took about 4 tonight before someone scored. Made a few good saves yourself Andie .A touch of the Pat Jennings I thought.But what's with Tash hitting worldies against you.Fantastic finish from her again as she did the other week giving you zero chance.

Hope the girl who got injured will be ok soon. Looked like a twisted knee.

My fellow watching fan was NMT from BlueMoon and he left very impressed. Can't wait for the season to start and good luck in Glasgow on Sunday.Poor effort from me not to be there.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Green & Blue » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:35 am

Thread should be made a stickie, great way to keep updated on the City birds team.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Wonderwall » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:24 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Went along to another good training session tonight and saw quality all around.

Andie will have her work cut out to play instead of Karen Bardsley.She looks a really good keeper and must be an imposing sight for strikers in 1 on 1 situations.Took about 4 tonight before someone scored. Made a few good saves yourself Andie .A touch of the Pat Jennings I thought.But what's with Tash hitting worldies against you.Fantastic finish from her again as she did the other week giving you zero chance.

My fellow watching fan was NMT from BlueMoon and he left very impressed. Can't wait for the season to start and good luck in Glasgow on Sunday.Poor effort from me not to be there.

I just happen to be in glasgow all weekend. Where is it at?
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Alex Sapphire » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:39 am

Wonderwall wrote:

Petershill Park G21 4DD. 2 o'clock KO
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:11 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Went along to another good training session tonight and saw quality all around.

I will look for a detailed report.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Sister of fu » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:16 am

KB is a different level to any other keeper I have worked with. Wouldn't look out of place playing with men, she is big strong and technically brillant. I can only improve working with her and that is my intentions. It's been a pleasure so far working alongside her and seeing her at work. All young female keepers should just come and watch her work and aspire to be that good.

I was lucky enough yesterday to be invited into the chairmens lounge for the game yesterday. An unforgettable experience for any blue. It was a who's who or football royalty. I had Buzzer sat in front of me and Colin Bell to my right. Trix was also sat in front of me with all the other big chiefs. Loved my heated seat and coffee on tap. Still missed my boys and Kate in 110. Couldn't really get people going with a rendition of bluemoon...:-)
Sister of fu

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:38 am

Fantastic thread. Should be made into a sticky.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:28 am

Cocacolajojo wrote:Fantastic thread. Should be made into a sticky.

Got to keep this thread on page 1. Sounds like a good work out in Glasgow yesterday with a nil nil draw and I assume everyone getting time in the game. Not sure about Andie though as keepers don't often get changed.I wonder what level Glasgow will be compared to the premier league? ( they might be in it for all I know,must start doing some research)
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:35 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:

Got to keep this thread on page 1. Sounds like a good work out in Glasgow yesterday with a nil nil draw and I assume everyone getting time in the game. Not sure about Andie though as keepers don't often get changed.I wonder what level Glasgow will be compared to the premier league? ( they might be in it for all I know,must start doing some research)

Andie came on at half time, looks like they are giving everyone a good run out
Wonderwall

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:44 am

Wonderwall wrote:

Excellent.Did you get there in the end and where's your report?
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:46 am

Wonderwall wrote:

Excellent.Did you get there in the end and where's your report?

Sadly no I didnt get to the Game, combination of alcohol, lack of sleep and a very bad head put pay to my chances. Glasgow was excellent though :-)
Wonderwall

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:01 pm

Andrea, sometimes I dream that I'm playing for City. Most of the times these dreams are nightmares, as in I'm not an inch better than I am in real life and I get yelled at by my idols. Sometimes though I dream that I'm great and then I wake up and realize that it didn't happen. Do you also have these dreams and if so, what's the feeling like when you realize that you actually do play for City?
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Sister of fu » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:47 pm

City Women were held to a goalless draw with Glasgow City at Petershill Park.

The Blues had several chances to break the deadlock - particularly in the second half - but struggled to break down a determined Glasgow defence.

Throughout the game, the windy conditions made life tough for the Blues as every long-ball was swept away and judging the flight of each pass proved difficult.

The visitors gained more of a foothold in the game though in the second period - all that was lacking was the end product.

For this encounter, City manager Nick Cushing opted to field the same side that defeated Celtic 3-0 in the Blues' first friendly of the off-season.

Chelsea Nightingale partnered captain Steph Houghton in the heart of the defence, with Jess Holbrook protecting the back four as a holding midfielder. Jill Scott and Natasha Flint played a little further forward, with Krystle Johnston and Isobel Christiansen accompanying down the wings. Toni Duggan played as the lone striker.

City started brightly, forcing a corner within a minute. Houghton managed to make a good connection with the ball but her header sailed over the bar.

The chance proved as an early warning to the home side who then sparked into life. In the opening ten minutes, Karen Bardsley was called into action several times, dealing well with a couple of tricky crosses.

After a series of fortunate ricochets, Glasgow almost took the lead but for some last-ditch defending from Nightingale.

Houghton then saw another header cleared off the line on 17 minutes.

As the half wore on, the Blues grew in confidence and were unlucky not to open the scoring when Steph Marsh drove in a free-kick which sailed wide. Flint then saw her volley fly just over the bar and Duggan saw an effort hit the side-netting after the striker won possession back in a dangerous area.

At the other end, Glasgow’s best chance came five minutes before half-time. Under pressure from Houghton, Abbi Grant managed to get a shot away but it was straight at Bardsley who made the save. That proved to be the last effort of the half and both sides went in level at the break.

Cushing opted to make changes at half-time, with Betsy Hassett coming on for Flint and Andie Worrall replacing Bardsley.
Six minutes after the restart, the Blues spurned a glorious chance as Christiansen raced through on goal. With only the goalkeeper to beat, the England youngster resisted a shot – instead choosing to round the Glasgow shot-stopper who managed to get a vital touch of the ball. The rebound fell to Johnston who failed to convert the rebound.

City were much more direct in the second half and they worked much harder to press the opposition, forcing the home side into mistakes.

Having struggled to create chances with the ball in the air, City altered their tactics to play the ball more on the ground - and it almost paid off.

On 55 minutes, Hassett saw a shot deflected wide and Duggan’s header from the resulting corner hit the crossbar.

Ten minutes later, Scott embarked on a storming run through the centre but just as she was about to unleash a shot, the ball was whipped away with another crucial tackle.

Scott was involved again on 70 minutes, sending Duggan through on goal but the striker’s effort sailed inches wide.

The Blues were well on top and with just minutes to go, piled on the pressure. Substitutes Emma Lipman and Lynda Shepherd both saw long-range shots well-saved but no matter what they tried, City couldn’t find the back of the net and the game ended 0-0.

There was better news for the Development Squad, who defeated Durham 3-2 in the cup. A brace from Holly Brady and another from Coral O'Keefe secured the win.
Sister of fu

Postby Sister of fu » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:51 pm

They were very physical and the weather was poor, very high winds that don't help when trying to play. Once we got to grips with the weather and the physical nature of Glasgow we got a grip on the game and started to put into practise what we have been doing in training.

I did ok in my 45 min stint but in truth didn't have a great deal to do. I pretty stood and watched and was pleased to see some of the girls that are new to this level of football start to express themselves and do little things that they wouldn't normal do. Really pleasing to see. We doing ok for a team that has only been together for a 5 week period. Long way to go though.
Sister of fu

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:11 pm

Sister of fu wrote:They were very physical and the weather was poor, very high winds that don't help when trying to play.

Weather was awful, I went to Glasgow on Saturday AM, I left Manchester and its unbelievable sunshine and lovely day and headed into Scotland, pishing it down and horrid weather all weekend.

Did you travel up on the day or the night before?
Wonderwall

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:11 pm

Sister of fu wrote:They were very physical and the weather was poor, very high winds that don't help when trying to play. Once we got to grips with the weather and the physical nature of Glasgow we got a grip on the game and started to put into practise what we have been doing in training.

I did ok in my 45 min stint but in truth didn't have a great deal to do. I pretty stood and watched and was pleased to see some of the girls that are new to this level of football start to express themselves and do little things that they wouldn't normal do. Really pleasing to see. We doing ok for a team that has only been together for a 5 week period. Long way to go though.

Everybody struggles to get to grips with the physical nature of Glasgow, from time to time.

I think you should consider a future career in management, with those excuses, you are half way there ;)

Cheers for the update. I'm sure it will all come together when you've had a bit more time.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum