Melbourne heart

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Melbourne heart

Postby Ironpot » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:33 am

It is clever. Australian talent is nurtured very carefully and the facilities at the Australian Institute of Sport are brilliant. The scouts are shit scared of missing another Viduka or Kewell coming through due to work permit restrictions. One Viduka every few years will pay for the whole deal.
Ironpot
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Supporter of: City

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:22 am

dazby wrote:Incidentally, last night on our version of sky sports, in the half hour bulletin there were 3 stories about the takeover. No coverage whatsoever of the league cup semi. Interesting.

Noticed that, tuned in for a laugh and no dice on the shoot out.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:38 am

xavi6 wrote:
Dubaimancityfan wrote:
dazby wrote:I hear that the Melbourne derby (can't name the other side now !!) attracts 80,000 !!

Not quite, 45,000 at most, but your point still stands.

Melbourne Victory v Melbourne City has the potential to be a massive derby shown worldwide, and there's three of them a season.

Thanks mate. Your figure sounds more realistic. I think Socceroos home matches attract crowds of 60,000 plus ?
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby patrickblue » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:11 am

According to some guy they interviewed om talkshite (Aussie football expert of some sort), rumour is that Shanghai is next.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Socrates » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:41 am

patrickblue wrote:According to some guy they interviewed om talkshite (Aussie football expert of some sort), rumour is that Shanghai is next.

China would be my best guess too...

Press conference with Sun Jihai coming soon lol
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby xavi6 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:44 am

Dubaimancityfan wrote:
xavi6 wrote:
Dubaimancityfan wrote:
dazby wrote:I hear that the Melbourne derby (can't name the other side now !!) attracts 80,000 !!

Not quite, 45,000 at most, but your point still stands.

Melbourne Victory v Melbourne City has the potential to be a massive derby shown worldwide, and there's three of them a season.

Thanks mate. Your figure sounds more realistic. I think Socceroos home matches attract crowds of 60,000 plus ?

The big ones attract the numbers alright but your average game against Oman and the like would only get 25,000-30,000 in the 90,000 ANZ Stadium. Part of the problem is playing almost every big game in Sydney, after awhile it becomes the norm and not as exciting so fans stop going.

Melbourne is the sporting capital of Oz though so I think this will be a big success.

The Financial Review here is reporting that City will play in both Brisbane and Melbourne in May which would be great for exposure.

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Zab

Postby Dameerto » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:35 am

Socrates wrote:
patrickblue wrote:According to some guy they interviewed om talkshite (Aussie football expert of some sort), rumour is that Shanghai is next.

It depends what our intention is - I think we are aiming to have a club in each of the major geographic regions that the world is divided into for domestic club purposes, and the Sheikh already owns a club that falls into the 'Asia' category (which includes China). In fact only two of the six regions are still open to us (assuming we want one club in each) - Africa and South America. South Africa seems like the obvious choice for its region in terms of having the most developed league in Africa (and one that attracts Premier league clubs such as ourselves in preseason matches) - as for South America my head says Brazil due to it's population and emerging market status, but my heart says Argentina simply BECAUSE.

Obviously the Sheikh personally owns Al Jazira whilst Melbourne and New York are owned/controlled by Man City so this might have some influence on whether City can own a club in the same region as Al Jazira. I'm not familiar with the rules to be honest.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Socrates » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:05 am

Dameerto wrote:
Socrates wrote:

It depends what our intention is - I think we are aiming to have a club in each of the major geographic regions that the world is divided into for domestic club purposes, and the Sheikh already owns a club that falls into the 'Asia' category (which includes China). In fact only two of the six regions are still open to us (assuming we want one club in each) - Africa and South America. South Africa seems like the obvious choice for its region in terms of having the most developed league in Africa (and one that attracts Premier league clubs such as ourselves in preseason matches) - as for South America my head says Brazil due to it's population and emerging market status, but my heart says Argentina simply BECAUSE.

Obviously the Sheikh personally owns Al Jazira whilst Melbourne and New York are owned/controlled by Man City so this might have some influence on whether City can own a club in the same region as Al Jazira. I'm not familiar with the rules to be honest.

Fair points but cannot see A-League being that big in China anytime soon and this may be a market we would like to impact on directly?
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Dameerto » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:31 am

I have a feeling that the move is as much about political influence as anything else. Which is why I wouldn't be surprised to see us with one club in each region. As for Oceania it may have come down to either New Zealand or Australia, with Australia being the more attractive choice.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:47 am

Socrates wrote:
Dameerto wrote:
Socrates wrote:

Fair points but cannot see A-League being that big in China anytime soon and this may be a market we would like to impact on directly?

Wouldn't that be a massive clash of interests when it comes to the AFC Champions League, though?
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Socrates » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:09 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:
Socrates wrote:
Dameerto wrote:
Socrates wrote:

Wouldn't that be a massive clash of interests when it comes to the AFC Champions League, though?

Again, depends on the rules. Bear in mind our owner already owns a team in Abu Dhabi. We have rules against it in Europe I know.
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Tesl » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:17 am

I suppose nobody is watching the Heart game now against Adelaide?

I'm quite enjoying it, I've never had anything close to approaching a second team before, but obviously Heart are the closest thing to that now. They had a bright start but are 1-0 down now and getting outplayed. They aren't very good.

Brings back familiar memories though! Its very refreshing to watch.
Tesl
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Tesl » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:14 am

Ahaha. I don't know how but Heart are winning 2-1 now, and if they hold on for 10 more minutes this will be their first win outside of Melbourne for more than 2 years.

Didn't take long for the owners to make an impact, hehehe.
Tesl
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Tesl » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:25 am

2-2, shocking defending and Heart throw it away.

They then go up the other hand, get a free kick on the edge of the area, and Harry Kewell steps up and just calmy passes the ball wide of the goal for a goal kick. Just an awful effort.

Yep, I think these will fit into the City group absolutely perfectly.
Tesl
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Dameerto » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:33 am

I was watching it - I was logged into their fan forum though - I thought that must have been you that posted.

They are two fullbacks and a striker away from being competitive with that current squad.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby nottsblue » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:10 pm

Slightly off topic but staying with Aussie football.

Did anyone catch Emile Heskeys miss in the most recent game. I see he's not lost his 'touch'. Still shite
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby dazby » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:22 pm

He wound back the clock with that miss.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby phips » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:17 pm

and City one-ups Rooney,

[youtube]watch?v=PnhOtPdCQCY[/youtube]
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Dameerto » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:59 pm

He's proving to be a vital player for them now he's back from injury.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum