Demichelis - A Liability?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Demichelis - A Liability?

Postby Mike J » Sun May 11, 2014 8:58 pm

Great turn around for him. I was absolutely made up for him. Looked so happy at the end when he was mobbed. buzzing for him. Well done lad.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby ant london » Sun May 11, 2014 9:03 pm

the new Didi Hamman.....incredible turnaround from no mark to vital player
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Twobob » Sun May 11, 2014 9:10 pm

Immense today!

What little WHU had in our half he pretty much mopped up and brought it forward!

Great family man and a credit to Pellers
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun May 11, 2014 10:20 pm

Just read that him and Kompany have started together in defence 20 times this season and of those we've lost only once. One of those stats which somehow sneak up and certainly backs up how good he's looked recently.

If he'd been fit at the start of the season, we may have won it a few weeks ago.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby dazby » Mon May 12, 2014 2:37 am

His wife at the end. Buff said.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Slim » Mon May 12, 2014 2:57 am

Blue Since 76 wrote:Just read that him and Kompany have started together in defence 20 times this season and of those we've lost only once. One of those stats which somehow sneak up and certainly backs up how good he's looked recently.

If he'd been fit at the start of the season, we may have won it a few weeks ago.

Chelsea(h), Barcelona(h), Liverpool(a).

Or those stats are full of crap.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon May 12, 2014 4:50 am

Another one to admit I was wrong here.

Or probably more accurately just way too early to judge. My god he was awful early, but brilliant by the end. Fantastic effort to turn it around.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby sheikh it all about » Mon May 12, 2014 5:01 am

MilnersJaw wrote: until we play decent opposition in europe and then he is shite.
Most match-goers and people on City forums have had the grace to admit they were wrong.

This guy deserves his winner's medal as much as anyone.
Last edited by sheikh it all about on Mon May 12, 2014 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
sheikh it all about
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: The Champions

Postby kennyboy » Mon May 12, 2014 5:04 am

Iam tempted to say he has'n been tested much lately, and the pace is not all there. BUT
he has really steped up his game. Great watch and a worthy partner for Vinny.
Scandinavian True Blue
kennyboy
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Keith Curle

Postby halnone » Mon May 12, 2014 6:01 am

[youtube]4SPDRs-Qi1I[/youtube]

I think this belongs here.
halnone
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Blue Since 76 » Mon May 12, 2014 6:25 am

Slim wrote:
Chelsea(h), Barcelona(h), Liverpool(a).

Or those stats are full of crap.

Sorry, should have said league games. And against Chelsea, Demi was in midfield
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby bayblue » Mon May 12, 2014 6:51 am

This is like a catholic confessional....everyone (nearly) forgiving their "sin" of writing him off
Really pleased for him as he seems a great character and from all accounts popular with the squad and staff.
I was one of those who wanted Lescott to play; not sure of we would have been any worse if so, but totally prepared to give Demi a huge thank you for making a major contribution to our results and for strengthening the character and experience of the squad. Hope he stays around next season, even if as a no. 3.
bayblue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon May 12, 2014 7:40 am

I think part of the difference is that he's fitter. He is a yard sharper now than he was early season. So when he does try some trick, & fuck it up, or jump in for an interception & not quite get there, most of the time he gets a 2nd bite at it & redeems the situation. Early season, the oppo would just nick the ball off him, fuck off & score.

He is truly living upto the 'footballer' tag now too, wheras early season he just sprayed hospital passes, now he is creating attacks from deep, & it has the bonus of keeping Vinny more in check, so he gives the ball away less.

Imo, over the last 6 weeks, Demi has been the best cb in the Premier League.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby john@staustell » Mon May 12, 2014 7:53 am

I'd just like to point out I could always see he was a class footballer. But dumped in the PL from a zero/unfit situation he struggled a bit earlier on.

What really gets me is that so many people thought Lescott was a better bet, when he clearly looks like a baby rabbit in a headlight with the ball at his feet (at best). Made me despair of the forums.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon May 12, 2014 7:59 am

john@staustell wrote:I'd just like to point out I could always see he was a class footballer. But dumped in the PL from a zero/unfit situation he struggled a bit earlier on.

What really gets me is that so many people thought Lescott was a better bet, when he clearly looks like a baby rabbit in a headlight with the ball at his feet (at best). Made me despair of the forums.

Lescott was better than Demichelis on almost every occasion he played & was less of a liability on the ball. In recent weeks Demichelis has been excellent, but for a large part of the season, Lescott was better & should have been playing.

Persevering with Demichelis has worked out ok in the end, but it almost cost us the title.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Blue Since 76 » Mon May 12, 2014 8:00 am

john@staustell wrote:I'd just like to point out I could always see he was a class footballer. But dumped in the PL from a zero/unfit situation he struggled a bit earlier on.

Lescott did what Demi is now doing - make Kompany look even better. Lescott did it by being a typical British centre half, allowing Kompany to suddenly charge upfield or lunge in, knowing Lescott would still be there to make a tackle. We all know he can't pass, but he can defend and better than Nastasic could by the end of last season or Demi early in this one.

Demi is clearly the better all round player and, in retrospect, I think some of the early mucks ups were as much down to Kompany as him. Since the Hull game, Demi has taken charge of the line we hold. Beforehand, he'd push up and no one would go with him.

Hopefully, once Nastasic is fit, Demi can actually teach him how to defend.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon May 12, 2014 8:09 am

Blue Since 76 wrote:

Lescott did what Demi is now doing - make Kompany look even better. Lescott did it by being a typical British centre half, allowing Kompany to suddenly charge upfield or lunge in, knowing Lescott would still be there to make a tackle. We all know he can't pass, but he can defend and better than Nastasic could by the end of last season or Demi early in this one.

Demi is clearly the better all round player and, in retrospect, I think some of the early mucks ups were as much down to Kompany as him. Since the Hull game, Demi has taken charge of the line we hold. Beforehand, he'd push up and no one would go with him.

Hopefully, once Nastasic is fit, Demi can actually teach him how to defend.

The advantage of Demi over Lescott is that Lescott used to give VK the ball to be the main defensive 'playmaker' & cover behind him,, & Vinny in spite of one or two nice touches,is pretty crap at it.

Demichelis is taking on that role & Vinny covers for him now. Demi is miles better at it than VK.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby sheikh it all about » Mon May 12, 2014 10:13 am

Re Ted Hughes.

On the contrary, I believe Demi is a vastly better fit in footballing terms and has been a major contributor to our title run-in. Far more classy and constructive than Lescott.
sheikh it all about
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon May 12, 2014 10:18 am

sheikh it all about wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:<null>

On the contrary, I believe Demi is a vastly better fit in footballing terms and has been a major contributor to our title run-in. Far more classy and constructive than Lescott.

Is there somewhere that I said Demi wasn't a major contributor to our title run in ?

I was under the impression I said I thought he had been the best cb in the Premier League in recent times ?

Perhaps I'm dreaming ? Just a second whilst I bang my head on the table.......nope I'm awake, looks like I did actually say that.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby sheikh it all about » Mon May 12, 2014 10:40 am

Ted Hughes wrote: Is there somewhere that I said Demi wasn't a major contributor to our title run in ? I was under the impression I said I thought he had been the best cb in the Premier League in recent times ? Perhaps I'm dreaming ? Just a second whilst I bang my head on the table.......nope I'm awake, looks like I did actually say that.

You did indeed. Apologies. My post was intended to be in response to john@staustell's comments.
sheikh it all about
Robinho's Step Over

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum