Successful Season

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Successful Season

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:38 pm

What do you class as a successful season?

For me, we've had a decent season and the success has come in the form of the League Cup. It feels like it's pittered out when in reality there is still a chance. Not quite as good as the FA Cup and title winning season for me but some may have a different view.

Thoughts?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Re: Successful Season

Postby Elvistheblue » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:27 pm

For me, it's all about being entertained. Yes, the ultimate goal is to win Trophies, but having seen some excellent football at times, a shed load of goals, a day out at Wembley and a trophy in the cabinet, I don't think things are as bad as some are making out. It's been a thoroughly enjoyable season, title or not. I defy anyone to say they haven't had there monies worth out of their season ticket this season.

It's frustrating the way it appears to be petering out, but I for one think there might still be a little twist here and there before the end.

Considering some of the football I've had to endure as a season ticket holder since 1989, I'm perfectly happy to keep the trophies ticking over with a league cup win. I read somewhere today that it's 15 years ago today that we won at Gillingham 2 nil in the 2nd Division.....I was at that game.....I know where we've been and where we are, and where we are is a damn sight better.
Elvistheblue
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Gods own club
My favourite player is: Spannish Dave

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:47 pm

A trophy is a successful season, it just seems we have under achieved, the defeat Sunday and last night are tough to take, after the look of being maybe double of some sort was om the cards. Pellets is where Mancini was fate the cup final for me, only this seems more serious considering it is a far more calmer camp.. And The previous manager was a dead man before the Wigan farce.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby TheBlueCatsWhiskers » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:58 pm

I have supported this club all my life. I'm now 50. We won a trophy. We have had success. Believe me
TheBlueCatsWhiskers
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Spurge » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:10 pm

TheBlueCatsWhiskers wrote:I have supported this club all my life. I'm now 50. We won a trophy. We have had success. Believe me

mirror exactly what you say although adjust down by 4 years.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby roblues » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:17 pm

In the context of the history of the club and not wanting to come across as a spoilt brat, a trophy and a load of goals is a success.

In the context of the squad quality, wage bill and basic errors/lack of effort or ideas in last night's game and others this year, it's hard to take.
roblues
Superman's Underpants

Postby Saul Goodman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:29 pm

Not successful but not a failure either.

Got out of the group stage in the CL, qualified for next years CL, and won a trophy. Good season.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Moonchesteri » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:36 pm

Right now it is fucking hard to take, but in the summer when I'm enjoying a mojito somewhere in the sun I will probably look back and be very happy about our LC win.

We won a trophy. =Successful season for me.

The way people talk these days it seems like it's a norm that we win something. Well it certainly is not and that might just be the reason why we are dropping points in games where the opponents are more hungry for it
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Original Dub » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:39 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:Right now it is fucking hard to take, but in the summer when I'm enjoying a mojito somewhere in the sun I will probably look back and be very happy about our LC win.

The way people talk these days it seems like it's a norm that we win something. Well it certainly is not and that might just be the reason why we are dropping points in games where the opponents are more hungry for it

Well said
Original Dub

Postby roblues » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:43 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:Right now it is fucking hard to take, but in the summer when I'm enjoying a mojito somewhere in the sun I will probably look back and be very happy about our LC win.

You're absolutely right, I will also feel like this in the summer. But looking at performances last night and being extremely disappointed does not stem from expecting too much.
roblues
Superman's Underpants

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:06 am

We won a pot. I was a season ticket holder in 76 but didn't go to.Wembley. So in 40 years watching, only the third trophy I have seen us win.
Football has been great fun. Cracking trips to Munich and Barcelona, smashed the filth twice, weekend in London and a trophy lifted.
Of course it has been a successful season!
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby nottsblue » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:48 am

Like most in this particular thread I consider this season a success.

At the beginning of the season, if third in the league, getting out of group in champs league, scoring goals galore, (must be over 130 by now), two drubbings of rags and going toe to toe with heavyweights of Europe and most importantly, a pot on the sideboard, was on offer, I for one would have thanks very much and cant wait.

Am happy with Pellegrini and the way he conducts himself. Next season will be even better in my view as he'll be a bit more savvy and new blood will freshen things up a bit.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Goaters 103 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:02 am

It's a successful season in terms of comparison to where we were and what we achieved between the years 1977 - 2010.

However, considering the squad we have, the resources we have, and where we were placed after beating Spurs in Jan, it isn't successful as the big prizes and big games have eluded us. We pissed away the FA Cup needlessly in a game we should have won with our eyes shut; we barely laid a glove on Barcelona over 3hours of football and bowed out meekly with a pat on our heads; we pissed the title race away by dropping 4 pts to Norwich and Sunderland, again in games we should have won with something to spare.

The other great balls up was not buying a top class centre half partner for Kompany. We didn't do it last summer, and we still didn't do it when it was glaringly obvious again in January.

Personally I'm chuffed we won the League Cup as any trophy to me is to be savoured. But when we look back in a few years, the League Cup saved us from being Newcastle circa 1995-6 - great entertainers who could've would've should've.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Rag_hater » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:32 am

nottsblue wrote:Like most in this particular thread I consider this season a success.

At the beginning of the season, if third in the league, getting out of group in champs league, scoring goals galore, (must be over 130 by now), two drubbings of rags and going toe to toe with heavyweights of Europe and most importantly, a pot on the sideboard, was on offer, I for one would have thanks very much and cant wait.

Am happy with Pellegrini and the way he conducts himself. Next season will be even better in my view as he'll be a bit more savvy and new blood will freshen things up a bit.

nothing more to add to that,agree with it all.It's 140 goals I think.
Rag_hater

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:15 pm

Tbh I am happy with one trophy a season.

Ironically I wanted the LC most this season as I have never seen us win it live. I've now achieved that for all three domestic trophies, do next season, in order to show progress, I would like the PL and CL QF.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Dameerto » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:17 pm

We have now won everything in recent memory except a European title, and we made progress in Europe this season. Don't fall for the media bollox of building us up so that 'small' success can be dismissed as failure, we will get there at our own pace.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:41 pm

For me winning the League Cup is a big achievement. All our big rivals were in it and we ended up lifting the trophy. This was the only domestic cup missing in recent years and that's been put to bed now. 3 titles in 4 seasons is something no City fan would have dreamed of a few years ago. So no complaints.
Of course we could've done better (and we might still do) by winning the League as we were in such a good position only a week ago but still I consider this season a success.
Pellers will be much better next season with the experience he has gained in his first season in England and we wont see those early hiccups (Cardiff, Villa) which have probably ended up costing the League title.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby Tim777 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:44 pm

Elvistheblue wrote:For me, it's all about being entertained. Yes, the ultimate goal is to win Trophies, but having seen some excellent football at times, a shed load of goals, a day out at Wembley and a trophy in the cabinet, I don't think things are as bad as some are making out. It's been a thoroughly enjoyable season, title or not. I defy anyone to say they haven't had there monies worth out of their season ticket this season.

It's frustrating the way it appears to be petering out, but I for one think there might still be a little twist here and there before the end.

Considering some of the football I've had to endure as a season ticket holder since 1989, I'm perfectly happy to keep the trophies ticking over with a league cup win. I read somewhere today that it's 15 years ago today that we won at Gillingham 2 nil in the 2nd Division.....I was at that game.....I know where we've been and where we are, and where we are is a damn sight better.

Great post, this one.
And others in this thread as well.
Tim777
Superman's Underpants

Postby aaron bond » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:54 pm

Winning a trophy is always a sign of a successful season.

However, considering the resources we have, the fact we may potentially be outdone by Liverpool this season in the league is a tad embarrassing.

I massively enjoyed winning the league cup, particularly as up to a few years ago, it was something I never thought I'd ever see us do. But we can't use where we've come from as an excuse for our failures this season. If we finish behind Liverpool in the league, that can only be seen as a significant underachievement on Pellegrini's part.

All throughout the season I've been unsure if Pellegrini is the right man for us and I remain unconvinced. The season isn't over and you never know what will happen in the remaining games, but after the Liverpool defeat, our response against Sunderland was nothing short of abysmal. I don't think I've seen enough this season to suggest Pellegrini can deliver a league title. I do hope I'm wrong though!
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby Lee_R » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:15 pm

On the pitch we have won the League cup, qualified from the group stages of the CL, Beat Bayern Munich at their place and twatted the rags easily. This under a new manager. Plus our team is learning more about each other each season so thats all good.

Off the pitch we've built a new youth academy, one of the best in the world perhaps. We are also extending our stadium and becoming financially better off! Infrastructure is probably the best in England.

A good season overall.
Lee_R

My favourite player is: David White

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum