Pep talk

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Pep talk

Postby RodneyRodney » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:45 am

IF there's any substance in this - what would we do ?
IMO - we'd need to at least think about it - I'd be 50/50 about making a move
Thoughts ?

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/300673.html

Pep Guardiola has suggested he would have no problem walking away from Bayern Munich after just one season if the club's hierarchy are not satisfied with his work.

Guardiola has been an instant hit in Munich, winning the Bundesliga trophy in record time, qualifying for the German Cup final and also guiding the team into the upcoming Champions League semi-finals where they will meet Real Madrid.

However, the patient passing style of play which the former Barcelona coach favours has not been fully welcomed by all at the Allianz Arena, with former player and manager - and now honorary president - Franz Beckenbauer recently having to back-track on comments he made about finding the team "unwatchable."

There has also been discontent after a dip in domestic form following the clinching of the title, including a 3-0 home defeat to Borussia Dortmund last weekend.

Asked about the latest criticism of his methods at a news conference on Wednesday, Guardiola told reporters that he found some of the negativity hard to take and was prepared to move on if the club wanted a change.

"I have to accept the criticism," Guardiola said. "I tell myself 'Pep, calm down'. You are here to work as well as possible, and my best talent is work, work, work. I am here to help the club, and if the club do not want me, a handshake and no problem for me."

The quotes were made in English, and mostly missed by the local German reports, while Catalan paper Mundo Deportivo picked them up but did point out that Guardiola was talking "without bitterness or tension."

Nonetheless the possibility of the former Barcelona hero becoming free again in the summer has had quite an impact in Spain. Speculation about Gerardo Martino's future has increased following Barcelona's exits from the Champions League and defeat in the Copa del Rey final, with his side four points off the top in La Liga.

Ex-Barca player and coach Johan Cruyff has also suggested that a returning Guardiola is the only person now capable of halting the club's slide.
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Re: Pep talk

Postby Dubciteh » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:31 am

Snap him up and wouldnt think twice about it, wont happen though.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby MilnersJaw » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:02 am

I'd be 50 50. He's good but I found barca so fucking boring to watch which they still are and the rag game at the swamp was equally as boring.

Not sure we have the players for his game too. Can't see nasri and yaya grafting all game.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silver

Postby Nigels Tackle » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:56 am

98% possession football is dull
pep should be banned from football
give me diego simeone or jurgen klopp
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby nottsblue » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:05 am

Pellegrini will not be moved on before end of next season at earliest.

The only one I'd consider would be Ancelotti and even then I'd be reluctant to see Pellers go
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby PeterParker » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:11 am

Let's give the Count some credit,eh?

Under his spell we are playing the best football i ever saw since i started loving this club and he did that with a squad that is often injured.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby City64 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:51 am

Word is Pep will be City manager at some stage .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Dubciteh » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:59 am

PeterParker wrote:Let's give the Count some credit,eh?

Under his spell we are playing the best football i ever saw since i started loving this club and he did that with a squad that is often injured.

the only way he gets credit is if he somehow manages to win the league for me, otherwise he doesnt deserve it.

He has just about done ok for me, id only keep him because he seems to learn from his mistakes but there have been a lot of them tactically and theres no one out there who fills me with enthusiasm to replace him but if i could get a Pep i wouldnt think twice about it.

Pirlo had some good insight into him:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... obiography
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:12 pm

Pep will stay at Munich for at least another year
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby phips » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:14 pm

no
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Twobob » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:29 am

I think Martinez will become a far more accomplished manager in a few years, he's had to cut his teeth in many kinds of clubs and has improved himself as he's come up the the 'ranks' of management as opposed to babysat through the same club.

Another season or two at Everton continuing in the same form as we've seen this season and he will be in a league topping club, i just hope it's ours.

Pep is a top manager and there's no denying his success. When he left Barca I would have loved to have seen him roll into City. But his teams play one way - brilliant to watch fir a while and it works - the opposition simply end up chasing shadows, but Martinez has shown an ability to change the way his teams play, and they adapt quickly.
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby Original Dub » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:39 am

Twobob wrote:I think Martinez will become a far more accomplished manager in a few years, he's had to cut his teeth in many kinds of clubs and has improved himself as he's come up the the 'ranks' of management as opposed to babysat through the same club.

Another season or two at Everton continuing in the same form as we've seen this season and he will be in a league topping club, i just hope it's ours.

Pep is a top manager and there's no denying his success. When he left Barca I would have loved to have seen him roll into City. But his teams play one way - brilliant to watch fir a while and it works - the opposition simply end up chasing shadows, but Martinez has shown an ability to change the way his teams play, and they adapt quickly.

I'd have Martinez in a flash
Original Dub

Postby Dronny » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:28 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Twobob wrote:I think Martinez will become a far more accomplished manager in a few years, he's had to cut his teeth in many kinds of clubs and has improved himself as he's come up the the 'ranks' of management as opposed to babysat through the same club.

I'd have Martinez in a flash

Odds from 25-1 to 100-1, take your pick!
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Original Dub » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:15 pm

Dronny wrote:
Odds from 25-1 to 100-1, take your pick!

Hmmm...
Original Dub

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:18 pm

I think MP signed just a two year contract. Patrick Vieira is likely to replace him then not Pep.
South Stand Balti

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Dameerto » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:37 pm

I was under the impression Pellegrini was on a three year contract, as was Guardiola.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:46 pm

Dameerto wrote:I was under the impression Pellegrini was on a three year contract, as was Guardiola.

Who fucking cares? We don't need Pep. We bake our own bread.
DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:13 pm

Dameerto wrote:I was under the impression Pellegrini was on a three year contract, as was Guardiola.

I thought it was just 2 years but having had a dig around it seems you are right and it was 3 years.
South Stand Balti

Postby Dameerto » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:20 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:

Who fucking cares? We don't need Pep. We bake our own bread.

I don't care, I just have a photographic memory for useless pieces of information. (I would be good a pub quizzes if I ever went to pubs)
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:31 pm

Dameerto wrote: I don't care, I just have a photographic memory for useless pieces of information. (I would be good a pub quizzes if I ever went to pubs)

For what it's worth the Daily Star (may 2013) and the Daily Mail (15 May 2013) both reported he had signed a 2 year deal. I knew I had seen it somewhere but others report three years?
South Stand Balti

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum