Tactical Disaster

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Tactical Disaster

Postby Goaters 103 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:10 pm

bayblue wrote:And there's the difference in tacticians. Could you ever imagine Pellers sending a team out set up like Chelsea tonight?

How did Chelsea go on tonight?

Im sure a Pellers team wouldve entertained the crowds tonight away at Athletico. Theyd also likely have lost 3-1 as well.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:33 am

Goaters 103 wrote:
bayblue wrote:And there's the difference in tacticians. Could you ever imagine Pellers sending a team out set up like Chelsea tonight?

How did Chelsea go on tonight?

Im sure a Pellers team wouldve entertained the crowds tonight away at Athletico. Theyd also likely have lost 3-1 as well.

Chelsea are still in the tie as Favs, Job done, might be a twist. Fair play to them, and for me puts our season firmly where it is, No forwards all season no goals to compare with ours yet we are behind them. Chelsea I hate Jose, but the fucker gets the max out of his squad.....
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:11 am

That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Ratboy & Scouse on Sky, showed replays of Chelsea defending with a line attached to the back 4, & a line attached to the 3 in front of them, then two wide players picking up scraps.

How they were often moving as units, & there were rarely any significant gaps between them, so the oppo can't thread the kind of pass between cb & fb like I described in my o.p. Also you don't get goals like Sterling scored v City if you have 3 blocking the pass off in the first place like that.

This is not football genius; Peter Reid was doing shit like that in the 90s; it's bog standard, football management. And that's the sad thing about it. Not just now, but in the previous years. Give some average manager like Peter Reid our players, & he will go to Lazio, Ajax, Liverpool, maybe even Barcelona, & come back with a result. We have a supposed football genius in charge each season & they create a complete fucking shambles by being too clever & trying to show off their genius rather than just getting the fucking job done on the day.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:39 am

Ted Hughes wrote:That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Ratboy & Scouse on Sky, showed replays of Chelsea defending with a line attached to the back 4, & a line attached to the 3 in front of them, then two wide players picking up scraps.

How they were often moving as units, & there were rarely any significant gaps between them, so the oppo can't thread the kind of pass between cb & fb like I described in my o.p. Also you don't get goals like Sterling scored v City if you have 3 blocking the pass off in the first place like that.

This is not football genius; Peter Reid was doing shit like that in the 90s; it's bog standard, football management. And that's the sad thing about it. Not just now, but in the previous years. Give some average manager like Peter Reid our players, & he will go to Lazio, Ajax, Liverpool, maybe even Barcelona, & come back with a result. We have a supposed football genius in charge each season & they create a complete fucking shambles by being too clever & trying to show off their genius rather than just getting the fucking job done on the day.

We have tossed of the season, and again last night you can see how he manages to keep a bang average team in with a shout, add Drogba of five yrs ago he would have pissed the league, and smashed the scousers this sunday we on the other hand are looking like a bunch of fancy dans, Sunday is massive for me, rollover and for me nothing will ever change unless some fucker gets ruthless and changes the attitude. The goal the other other night sums it up we think we are clever cunts! that should have been the trigger for a rant from anyone, nothing. again not what will bring the thing in lime with what it takes to churn out wins without fuck ups. Water bottles the lot should have been booted in the air and for Vinny summoned to the touch line, even if it was for nothing more than show.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:44 am

Hazy2 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Ratboy & Scouse on Sky, showed replays of Chelsea defending with a line attached to the back 4, & a line attached to the 3 in front of them, then two wide players picking up scraps.

We have tossed of the season, and again last night you can see how he manages to keep a bang average team in with a shout, add Drogba of five yrs ago he would have pissed the league, and smashed the scousers this sunday we on the other hand are looking like a bunch of fancy dans, Sunday is massive for me, rollover and for me nothing will ever change unless some fucker gets ruthless and changes the attitude. The goal the other other night sums it up we think we are clever cunts! that should have been the trigger for a rant from anyone, nothing. again not what will bring the thing in lime with what it takes to churn out wins without fuck ups. Water bottles the lot should have been booted in the air and for Vinny summoned to the touch line, even if it was for nothing more than show.

Agree, but nothing 'special' at all in what Mourinho has done imo. He has underachieved just like Pellegrini. And if we had Drogba, (or Suarez) we would have pissed the league too.

Rogers is the only manager who deserves any special praise. The others have blown hot & cold.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:02 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

Agree, but nothing 'special' at all in what Mourinho has done imo. He has underachieved just like Pellegrini. And if we had Drogba, (or Suarez) we would have pissed the league too.

Rogers is the only manager who deserves any special praise. The others have blown hot & cold.

If he wins the Champs League, it will say WINNERS not plays like a drain Ted.. If Arsenal win the cup and Q for the same who has had the better season, Dipppers, Chelsea, Us ?A committed team would have been in each others face over that goal, Red nose would have gone bererk, who is right Pellers for keeping cool or a manager leaping onto that as the straw that broke the back of nice. He might have done it in the dressing room NO CHANCE.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby blues2win » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:04 am

I don't think Mourinho has underachieved. He's not far off winning the League and may yet win the CL yet he hasn't had one striker contribute a decent number of goals. His football is often not pretty but as far as he's concerned winning isn't the main it's the only thing.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:35 am

Hazy2 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

If he wins the Champs League, it will say WINNERS not plays like a drain Ted.. If Arsenal win the cup and Q for the same who has had the better season, Dipppers, Chelsea, Us ?A committed team would have been in each others face over that goal, Red nose would have gone bererk, who is right Pellers for keeping cool or a manager leaping onto that as the straw that broke the back of nice. He might have done it in the dressing room NO CHANCE.

No problem with Pellegrini keeping cool personally. Not interested in the gobby bullshit side.

Imo, the only manager who has done a great job in the Prem this season is Rodgers. The others have all underachieved & I would say especially Mourinho, as he still has the backbone of his own team, who know exactly how he works & several of them are in his back 4. A huge adavantage over Pellegrini & Rodgers & he was very fortunate to meet an injury decimated, knackered City team in the league, won the game then fucked it all up. Poor.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby blues2win » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:53 am

I don't doubt that Pellegrini has fucked up on rotation and wlll have learned his lesson next year. I assume a couple more youngsters will come out of the EDS to join Lopes and that they will get a decent chance in some domestic cup games. However, what is alarming is the lack of depth in our squad still after all the spending. We really suffer when two or three key players are out. Then of course we've had a few players who are permanent casualties; Rodwell Richards and until recently Jovetic plus lengthy absences from centre backs early in the season and forwards later on. We still need strengthening. Still.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:02 am

appears to me that we often try to score by osmosis
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:54 am

Thinking about it, the cleverest thing Mourinho has done, is to get people to fall for the idea that he has no strikers & is somehow lacking in goalscoring options.

Oscar scores at 1 in 3, as does Hazard, Lampard is still a 1 in 4 ish scorer, as is Squirrel, then he has Torres, Ba & Eto. If they're short on goals, it's down to Mourinho.

We have had injuries to 3 of our strikers all season & got a striker's contribution from Yaya. Pellegrini has wiped the floor with Mourinho when it comes to attacking football, as has Rodgers, that's the difference. Hazard would have 20 league goals now if he played for City.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:41 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Thinking about it, the cleverest thing Mourinho has done, is to get people to fall for the idea that he has no strikers & is somehow lacking in goalscoring options.

Oscar scores at 1 in 3, as does Hazard, Lampard is still a 1 in 4 ish scorer, as is Squirrel, then he has Torres, Ba & Eto. If they're short on goals, it's down to Mourinho.

We have had injuries to 3 of our strikers all season & got a striker's contribution from Yaya. Pellegrini has wiped the floor with Mourinho when it comes to attacking football, as has Rodgers, that's the difference. Hazard would have 20 league goals now if he played for City.

Ted, if he does win the Champs fair play endof.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:17 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Thinking about it, the cleverest thing Mourinho has done, is to get people to fall for the idea that he has no strikers & is somehow lacking in goalscoring options.

If he wins the Champions League, it will have no relation to anything I have been talking about.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Yaya Toure is a LAD » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:03 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:I've been thinking something similar for the last few games. IMO, Pellegrini is ruthless against his own players. He plays them regardless of their fitness and he makes them to tasks that they can't cope. Yesterday was a good example, I mean we're fucking 3-1 up, why not take of Silva as well to rest him? Instead he insists on playing him and he breaks down. Coincidence or not, Pellegrini seems to be oblivious to the strains he puts his players through. Likewise with Aguero. Had he smoothed him in instead of forcing him to play, it's quite possible we could at least have used Aguero as an impact sub for the second half in a lot of games. Another good example is Ferna. He's made to cover enormous distances along the pitch and he's been doing since the start of the season and by now he's knackered. I don't agree that he's border buggered, I'd say he's on the verge of some sort of physical breakdown. The amount of times he's made unforced errors resulting on a difficult situation for us, not seldom around the centre circle, is mind boggling. He's tired. The error yesterday from the freekick was a very obvious one but it's been happening for a while now. I didn't see this myself but I read an interview with Thomas Gravesen where he said that one of the reasons he never made it at Real was because he was made to work in a defensive midfielder position after the departure of Makelele, with basically the rest of the midfield neglecting their defensive duties, which wore him down. I've been thinking about that interview a lot lately when watching Ferna. Why does Pellegrini persist in playing with a four man midfield when we are clearly knackerd? Wait, forget four man. Say three. Perhaps because of his knock, perhaps because he's tired, perhaps because he's just not up to it, Silva rarely came back and helped out defensively yesterday. Well rarely is perhaps an exaggeration, but he let the game pass him by quite a few times. In the beginning of the season and during our LC run during autumn, I remember writing that Pellegrini's habit of always fielding what seemed to be the strongest possible eleven would endear him to some fans. Well it might've, but his inability to rotate the team has left us more vulnerable that is necessary at the end of this league campaign. His image is that he's much more of a cozy manager that makes players feel involved in the team and fine, his way of speaking to players might be softer than Mancini's for example, but IMO he's not a bit more inclusive when it comes to fielding fringe players or even junior players. When it comes to EDS-players, I think Mancini might've even been bolder, which is some feat as Mancini was very conservative. And to persist in playing this 442 or a very attacking 451 when the players in midfield as well as defence are clearly faltering seems ignorant to me. As you write Ted, why not insert that extra man into midfield and give everybody a break? I don't know if it's the five trophies in five years statement of Sorrano that has driven Pellegrini to rely on an increasingly knackered core of players and to tempt fate with playing players when there's a risk of injuries. It's just strange though. Having said that we might still win the bloody thing anyway and Pellegrini deserves a lot of credit for having transformed our way of playing while still having us challenge for the league title to the very end. His persistence with playing tired or semi-injured players when there are valid options has to go though, as well as his reluctance towards rotating. It's a flaw of his, IMO. As for the breakdown in tactics I also agree and I think it was very palpable in the last minutes versus Sunderland. People give Hart (deserved) schtick for just hoofing the ball up the field, right onto the feet of Sunderland players, but that's like forgetting all the other players who continuously lost their head in those last minutes. Milner may not have set the world alight during that evening but I'd say it was more a sign of a team losing it's head, running into dead ends for most of the game (like Zabba in the 91st minute, needlessly giving away the ball to Sunderland at a crucial moment) instead of having a sound tactic to fall back on. It's weird. No or little nerves. We're supposed to have a seasoned squad by now.
I completely agree with you, but what are you insist we do? Play a different formation? Spend in the summer?
Yaya Toure is a LAD
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:18 am

Hazy2 wrote:

You can see it now, back in Portugal he beats RM, The only thing that can take the dippers out of the news..
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby mcfc1632 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:46 pm

I have a lot of agreement with the main themes of posts in this thread - but I am much more satisfied with Pellers than the thrust of this thread. I would absolutely hate to have watch the 'anti-football' that Maureen dishes up - I do not care if it is deemed 'effective' or 'successful' - I would choose what Pellers dishes up without question.

We need to just add to the squad in a way that makes his style successful - not 'dumb down' - I have confidence he will get there. We have already won a cup we would likely have won the league without the bad luck of Liverpool's 3rd goal - margins are that small. For me Maureen is a total bore - as a person and with regard the football he churns out - he is also a tiresome fraud at so many levels (IMO) - Pellers every time for me.
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:57 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:I have a lot of agreement with the main themes of posts in this thread - but I am much more satisfied with Pellers than the thrust of this thread. I would absolutely hate to have watch the 'anti-football' that Maureen dishes up - I do not care if it is deemed 'effective' or 'successful' - I would choose what Pellers dishes up without question.

We need to just add to the squad in a way that makes his style successful - not 'dumb down' - I have confidence he will get there. We have already won a cup we would likely have won the league without the bad luck of Liverpool's 3rd goal - margins are that small. For me Maureen is a total bore - as a person and with regard the football he churns out - he is also a tiresome fraud at so many levels (IMO) - Pellers every time for me.

It was absolutely not my intention to start a 'Pellegrini out' thread.

Personally, I think he has indentified 90% of the things that needed fixing & at one point had them almost fixed. Now most of those faults are back, but I think it's mainly down to mental & physical fatigue, as well as quite awful drop pf standards by people like Negredo, & injuries. I think he could have done much better tactically during this dodgy spell, when the players are clearly struggling, is my point.

As far as his position goes, I view it with the same conditions I attached to Mancini last season: on the last day, whatever the league position, whatever the result, we have to look like an outfit who will recharge & come out fighting next season. Last season we looked like a club who can't wait to get rid of the manager. If that's how we look in May, he has to go, otherwise I'm happy enough we will improve under Pellegrini next term. But then he WILL have to deliver.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:29 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:I have a lot of agreement with the main themes of posts in this thread - but I am much more satisfied with Pellers than the thrust of this thread. I would absolutely hate to have watch the 'anti-football' that Maureen dishes up - I do not care if it is deemed 'effective' or 'successful' - I would choose what Pellers dishes up without question.

Personally, I think he has indentified 90% of the things that needed fixing & at one point had them almost fixed. Now most of those faults are back, but I think it's mainly down to mental & physical fatigue, as well as quite awful drop pf standards by people like Negredo, & injuries. I think he could have done much better tactically during this dodgy spell, when the players are clearly struggling, is my point.

As far as his position goes, I view it with the same conditions I attached to Mancini last season: on the last day, whatever the league position, whatever the result, we have to look like an outfit who will recharge & come out fighting next season. Last season we looked like a club who can't wait to get rid of the manager. If that's how we look in May, he has to go, otherwise I'm happy enough we will improve under Pellegrini next term. But then he WILL have to deliver.

If he has a team that has downed tools on Sunday and get beat, he is for me just short of what we should be achieving. His tag for great football but falls short could be his undoing. I also think he has a squad of bottlers, Mancini was onto that, which did for him has he been wrong? Players are the 1st to duck any blame, Hart not improved, Mancini was onto that, stupid mistakes costing us, he was forever bemoaning fuck ups, over the season it has been a joke the mess ups, Chelsea away to name one Hart made. Are we any further on, I don't see it, Q for the knock out, Mancini did that with Gala. Pellers has brought great football but as was said on Wed by one of the SKY panel mistakes will always cost you in the end, and we have made so many, without it seems the threat of being dropped or worse. Our list of fuck ups is when you look at it huge. Keep Pellers but I would not be surprised if we are here again next season, sure as Shit Chelsea are gonna cure the forward thing and the scum will be better.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:01 am

Hazy2 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

If he has a team that has downed tools on Sunday and get beat, he is for me just short of what we should be achieving. His tag for great football but falls short could be his undoing. I also think he has a squad of bottlers, Mancini was onto that, which did for him has he been wrong? Players are the 1st to duck any blame, Hart not improved, Mancini was onto that, stupid mistakes costing us, he was forever bemoaning fuck ups, over the season it has been a joke the mess ups, Chelsea away to name one Hart made. Are we any further on, I don't see it, Q for the knock out, Mancini did that with Gala. Pellers has brought great football but as was said on Wed by one of the SKY panel mistakes will always cost you in the end, and we have made so many, without it seems the threat of being dropped or worse. Our list of fuck ups is when you look at it huge. Keep Pellers but I would not be surprised if we are here again next season, sure as Shit Chelsea are gonna cure the forward thing and the scum will be better.

As you point out; the reason we are not well clear at the top of the league is 90% down to stupid individual mistakes & not down to Pellegrini. It's not even down to him selecting one player over another, as Kompany , Zabba, Clichy have all joined in helping to lose ponts/games. In fact, as under Mancini, the person who makes the least costly fuckups, is the bloke we are kicking out.

My beef with Pellegrini is that he's not recognised we are struggling & grabbed the points.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:45 am

If they down tools, we need a shake up the dippers need points on each week we need to keep it honest and make them win it.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum