Next: Crystal Palace (Away)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Next: Crystal Palace (Away)

Postby AG7 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:40 pm

Crystal Palace v Manchester City
Selhurst Park, South Norwood, London

Sunday 27 April 2014
Kickoff: 1610 BST

Referee: Howard Webb
Assistants : M Mullarkey & G Beswick
Fourth Official: Jonathan Moss

TV Coverage in UK: Sky Sports 1 HD (Sky 401) and Sky Sports 1 (Sky 407)
Coverage starts at 1600 BST
--

Wonder what the Scouse mafia at Premier League is up to this week? Normally they announce refs for the next weekends games on Monday afternoon (even when there is a game from previous weekend still to be played that evening, on Monday Night Football) ... and this has happened 35 times this season without fail ... but this week (matchweek 36) there is no sign of ref appointments yet. It's Tuesday 4:00pm as I type this and about 26 hours late over their normal announcement time ... of course I am worried about what they are cooking now ... maybe they are still trying to decipher Mourinho's sarcastic comments before finalizing appointments ... or maybe they are wondering if they should appoint their 'best' in Liverpool's game or ours (given ours might need to be 'managed' should they fail to 'manage' the first one).

Well, whoever gets appointed for us and for the big game before us ... I will update this thread here.
--

EDIT: I guess I wasn't the only one wondering why refs weren't announced and quite a few tweets were sent to them ... they have released the refs list just in the last five minutes. We get Howard Webb and Liverpool gets Martin Atkinson.
--

The Game

This will be an easy one ... well, not the game, but my intro here ... All eyes (and including ours) will be on the game that kicks off just before ours at Anfield (at 1405 BST). If Chelsea manages to beat Liverpool outright, it gives the title back to us (in terms of back in our own hands), even if they manage a draw there, that'll be 2 points lost for Liverpool and just 1 off us (theoretically at least) ... both those scenarios break their momentum, casts doubts in their own minds about being able to hold on and will surely give us a lift just before we kick-off.

So it's pretty simple really, should Chelsea win at Anfield, we'll be well up for it and go and do our business ... should Liverpool win there, our heads will drop and we'll drop points at Crystal Palace ...
--

The Opposition

Whatever you call Tony Pulis and his tactics, they have worked and Crystal Palace is sitting pretty at 11th ... they have actually done too well, which is a worry. A relegation threatened side in their position (after avoiding the drop with a few games to go) then under normal circumstances relaxes a bit and slacks off ... Well, I don't expect that happening here for two reasons ... first, Tony Pulis ... second, they have a chance to finish in the top half of the table now as they are only a single point below the 10th ... what's to say that they won't go for it.

This was the team who came to Etihad when we were thrashing everyone with 5 and 6 goals and everyone expected us to thrash them 10-0 at Etihad ... instead they held us back goalless till 65 minutes (and themselves had a few chances in the meanwhile). Then an unfortunate astray header from one of their defenders went out wide to Navas whose shot back in found Dzeko (who luckily didn't fluff that particular chance) and that was all we got from that game ... a scrappy 1-0 win, and a very lucky three points.
--

Form Guide

Our last five games: WDLWD
Their last five games: WWWWW
--

Team Selection

Well, that form above alone should have us worried ... and now Silva has gone off injured. There is no way he'll be playing against Crystal Palace and that is a problem, especially against a side which will be defensively well organized. Yaya is expected back and (possibly) so is Navas ... although both will be returning from injuries but could still offer something different (read: better) than what we showed against Sunderland (and some parts of last night as well).

Would be interesting to see how Pellegrini sets us up. I'd go with something like this ...

Hart
Zaba - Komps - Demi - Kola
Garcia
Nasri - Yaya - Ferdy - Jovetic
Aguero

Then use Navas later on when they have tired legs or Milner to shore up the defence ...
--

Score Prediction

Predicting a score here is very tricky ... as I said above, the Liverpool/Chelsea game will have a huge effect on our game here so here's a scenario of predictions:

Chelsea wins : Palace 1 - 3 City
A draw there : Palace 0 - 1 City
Liverpool wins : Palace 1 - 0 City

Typical City scenario : Chelsea wins 1-0 and we go and draw 0-0
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Agueroooooo!

Re: Next: Crystal Palace (Away)

Postby AG7 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:17 pm

So Webb being punished for ending Liverpool's cup run and letting Arsenal win? And now what ... a chance to redeem himself?

Howard Webb snubbed again as Martin Atkinson is appointed referee for crucial Liverpool and Chelsea title clash

England’s World Cup referee Howard Webb has been dealt yet another blow by being overlooked for Sunday’s crucial title clash between Liverpool and Chelsea.

Webb, who has been given a string of low-profile matches since a calamitous performance in the Arsenal-Liverpool FA Cup tie two months ago, will handle Crystal Palace v Manchester City instead of the weekend’s marquee game.

Webb will be England’s only referee at the World Cup in Brazil this summer but Martin Atkinson will be in charge at Anfield. Atkinson refereed this year's Capital One Cup final between Manchester City and Sunderland.

The 43-year-old came under criticism after awarding a "ghost goal" to Chelsea in the FA Cup semi-final against Tottenham in 2012.

With Chelsea 1-0 up at Wembley, Atkinson awarded the Blues a second goal despite television replays clearly showing that Juan Mata's shot had not crossed the line.

Full Article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... clash.html
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Hazy2 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:00 pm

AG7 wrote:So Webb being punished for ending Liverpool's cup run and letting Arsenal win? And now what ... a chance to redeem himself?

Howard Webb snubbed again as Martin Atkinson is appointed referee for crucial Liverpool and Chelsea title clash

England’s World Cup referee Howard Webb has been dealt yet another blow by being overlooked for Sunday’s crucial title clash between Liverpool and Chelsea.

Webb, who has been given a string of low-profile matches since a calamitous performance in the Arsenal-Liverpool FA Cup tie two months ago, will handle Crystal Palace v Manchester City instead of the weekend’s marquee game.

Webb will be England’s only referee at the World Cup in Brazil this summer but Martin Atkinson will be in charge at Anfield. Atkinson refereed this year's Capital One Cup final between Manchester City and Sunderland.

The 43-year-old came under criticism after awarding a "ghost goal" to Chelsea in the FA Cup semi-final against Tottenham in 2012.

With Chelsea 1-0 up at Wembley, Atkinson awarded the Blues a second goal despite television replays clearly showing that Juan Mata's shot had not crossed the line.

Full Article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... clash.html

he is 500-1 for the scum job.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Alioune DVToure » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:06 pm

If Chelsea do Liverpool at lunchtime, we need to fly out of the blocks. If not, we need to dig deep and not let the game pass us by as per last week's Sunderland match.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby Twobob » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:22 pm

AG7 wrote:So Webb being punished for ending Liverpool's cup run and letting Arsenal win? And now what ... a chance to redeem himself? Howard Webb snubbed again as Martin Atkinson is appointed referee for crucial Liverpool and Chelsea title clash England’s World Cup referee Howard Webb has been dealt yet another blow by being overlooked for Sunday’s crucial title clash between Liverpool and Chelsea. Webb, who has been given a string of low-profile matches since a calamitous performance in the Arsenal-Liverpool FA Cup tie two months ago, will handle Crystal Palace v Manchester City instead of the weekend’s marquee game. Webb will be England’s only referee at the World Cup in Brazil this summer but Martin Atkinson will be in charge at Anfield. Atkinson refereed this year's Capital One Cup final between Manchester City and Sunderland. The 43-year-old came under criticism after awarding a "ghost goal" to Chelsea in the FA Cup semi-final against Tottenham in 2012. With Chelsea 1-0 up at Wembley, Atkinson awarded the Blues a second goal despite television replays clearly showing that Juan Mata's shot had not crossed the line. Full Article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... clash.html

He didn't read the script that Riley had handed him - the scouse rags should have been heading for a double.
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby AG7 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:58 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:If Chelsea do Liverpool at lunchtime, we need to fly out of the blocks. If not, we need to dig deep and not let the game pass us by as per last week's Sunderland match.

I agree, most important thing is they may win against Chelsea and later drop points against Palace or who knows even in their last game ... we should focus on winning all ours and take it to the end ... so no heads dropping even if they win first ... but that's what I am worried about here and Palace away is a tricky fixture ...
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Blue Since 76 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:44 pm

With the way Palace are playing and them already safe, finishing the season against City then Liverpool couldn't be better for them. They can either hit the beach or play with no pressure to upset probably the top two at the end of the season.

I don't expect them to lose both games and wouldn't be surprised if they didn't lose either and maybe even won one. If, and it's a very big if, we could win, I think they could do us a favour the following week.

Liverpool drawing with Chelsea then Palace is a real possibility so we have to be ready to take advantage. Less of the talk of not giving up and more proof on the pitch of giving all they have left.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby AG7 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:47 pm

@OllieHolt22: Mourinho hinting in press conference (post-Atletico) he will play weakened team against Liverpool on Sunday.
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:58 pm

AG7 wrote:@OllieHolt22: Mourinho hinting in press conference (post-Atletico) he will play weakened team against Liverpool on Sunday.

but he won't send them out to lose
wouldn't be surprised if the team he picks manages to get suarez sent off...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Saul Goodman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:02 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
but he won't send them out to lose
wouldn't be surprised if the team he picks manages to get suarez sent off...

He has to. No Terry, no Cech, no Hazard, maybe no Eto'o. I doubt he wants to lose to a former understudy
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby zuricity » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:58 am

I can see Pulis wanting to give a few younsters a chance now towards the end of the season. They are safe from relegation .

A chance for youngsters, against Liverpool but not City.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby john@staustell » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:10 am

AG7 wrote:@OllieHolt22: Mourinho hinting in press conference (post-Atletico) he will play weakened team against Liverpool on Sunday.

Mourinho tells lies as well. He'll want the Dippers to think they aren't interested.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby blues2win » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:35 am

Pellegrini said that Sergio and Yaya should be ok for Palace. Merlin won't I imagine.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby phips » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:22 pm

john@staustell wrote:

Mourinho tells lies as well. He'll want the Dippers to think they aren't interested.

Lampard and Mikel suspended for Atl return leg. Matic and Salah cup tied. All 4 will start vs Liverpool.

They could field

Schwarz
Az Ivan Luiz Cole
Matic
Mikel Lamp
Salah Oscar Hazard/Schurrle
Ba/Torres

that's weakened but not horrible.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby AG7 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:15 pm

phips wrote:
john@staustell wrote:

Lampard and Mikel suspended for Atl return leg. Matic and Salah cup tied. All 4 will start vs Liverpool.

They could field

Schwarz
Az Ivan Luiz Cole
Matic
Mikel Lamp
Salah Oscar Hazard/Schurrle
Ba/Torres

that's weakened but not horrible.

For now FA has thrown the book at him ... Mourinho, Ramires and Rui Faria all charged for Sunderland game (one for sarcasm, second for the unseen elbow, and third for his outburst at the ref) ...

Now I wonder if FA pissing him this week will make him wanna beat Liverpool and bust FA's Scouse love affair or instead play kids??
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby AG7 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:30 pm

CuteMancs: When you do the away end view, could you also see what they are saying over at Liverpool? Any thoughts from then about losing their game and it's repercussions or are they all in dreamland?
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby feedthegreek » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:56 pm

feedthegreek
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby phips » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:50 am

anymore news on Yaya being fit for this?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby AG7 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:59 pm

phips wrote:anymore news on Yaya being fit for this?

Yes Yaya is back! Not sure if starts or takes the bench ... as per Pellers' presser!
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Dwaring » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:08 pm

AG7 wrote: Yes Yaya is back! Not sure if starts or takes the bench ... as per Pellers' presser!

Yayas good to go but silva is ruled out. I think we'll do fine. Both of them out would have been a different story.
Dwaring
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Yaya toure

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum