Fernando

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Fernando

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:07 pm

twosips wrote:From what i've seen he's better going forward than De Jong. He's not as good as going forward as Fernandinho but he's definitely not some limited sideways passer.

Cheers. Not seen him at all before we signed him so don't know what to expect.
By all accounts he seems to be described as a 'defensive midfielder' but both Fernandinho and Toure were meant to be 'defensive midfielders' and both ended up being superb going forward.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:16 pm

Fernando is an upgrade from Garcia and the injury prone Rodders. With Yaya, Fernando and Fernandhino to perm from in the centre, I think we are more formidable than ever.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby mcfc1632 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:17 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:Genuine question for those who have seen him before. It seems from reviews and watching him today he is great at breaking up play and a hard man in the middle but does he offer much going forward at all? Say compared to someone like Fernandinho or is he more likely to sit like a Dejong?

Think good mixture of most of the best of De Jong and Ferd and you will not be far away - very astute buy IMO - as frankly they all seem to be since the Spaniards took over
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:31 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
twosips wrote:From what i've seen he's better going forward than De Jong. He's not as good as going forward as Fernandinho but he's definitely not some limited sideways passer.

Cheers. Not seen him at all before we signed him so don't know what to expect.
By all accounts he seems to be described as a 'defensive midfielder' but both Fernandinho and Toure were meant to be 'defensive midfielders' and both ended up being superb going forward.

From lots of online research, that's what I would say; not as good going forward as Fernandinho (who we haven't really seen properly yet at City) but better defensively & better going forward than Nige etc, capable of making attacking runs at pace if required. Also good in the air.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby sheblue » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:33 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Grew into the game and did well. Not overly enamoured yet but there's time.

Fuck me your a hard man to please, I thought he did very very well for his debut in a tricky away game.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Renato_CTID » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:03 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQsjAbZDx-4

"There was something in the pitch today / City was bright, Fernando!"
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:08 pm

PrezIke wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Grew into the game and did well. Not overly enamoured yet but there's time.

based on what you saw today what are your major concerns?

he was all over the pitch, seems to be a beast in the tackle and not too shabby on the ball either.

with him in the game it will certainly allow us to push yaya forward which will suit us well late in games.

he still needs to adjust to the team/league more, surely, but he seems to be a nice piece.

surely he's seeming better than garcia already, who made far less of an impression until late last season.

I don't really have any real concerns as stated, but I cannot get a feel just after one game, especially against the likes of Newcastle's attack (or lack of). He did put some last ditch tackles in but at the same time, why does he need to?

The one near the end was excellent though and I am not complaining at what I've seen, just don't see why people are fawning over him. Nothing more.

And, Garcia, honestly ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby PrezIke » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:20 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:Fernando is an upgrade from Garcia and the injury prone Rodders. With Yaya, Fernando and Fernandhino to perm from in the centre, I think we are more formidable than ever.

and we swapped garcia for him for even money, effectively, and sold rodwell for good value.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby getdressedmctavish » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:40 pm

Well its a funny old game. We all see different things. For me he cant get close or win a tackle, missed about five in the first half and was constantly in front of the ball.Doesn't appear to have the required discipline of a Nige or even a Garcia who for the most part positioned themselves well.Enjoyed his booking which showed he knows when the game has to be stopped and the shoulder charge that nearly broke Gourcan in half. Strangely for me it is his passing and forward running that are shining out but with him and Ya Ya as a pairing, some one is gonna rip us good unless they both improve vastly.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:41 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
PrezIke wrote:

based on what you saw today what are your major concerns?

he was all over the pitch, seems to be a beast in the tackle and not too shabby on the ball either.

with him in the game it will certainly allow us to push yaya forward which will suit us well late in games.

he still needs to adjust to the team/league more, surely, but he seems to be a nice piece.

surely he's seeming better than garcia already, who made far less of an impression until late last season.

I don't really have any real concerns as stated, but I cannot get a feel just after one game, especially against the likes of Newcastle's attack (or lack of). He did put some last ditch tackles in but at the same time, why does he need to?

The one near the end was excellent though and I am not complaining at what I've seen, just don't see why people are fawning over him. Nothing more.

And, Garcia, honestly ;-)

Well if you go back over about the last 39 years & ask which City midfield players would have got back over that distance, at that stage of the game & made that interception (which stopped the equalising goal) it would go:

1 Colin Bell
2 Paul Power
3 Fernando.

And it was his first game.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby blues2win » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:07 pm

Do you still think the sale of Garcia has weakened us Ted?
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:09 pm

Great debut from him today. You can see what he's going to bring to the team this season and I can see him being important for us in the big games, especially in Europe.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby twosips » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:54 pm

Gotta admire that touch he got on Ayoze's shot... proper determined defending. Excellent stuff.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:19 pm

blues2win wrote:Do you still think the sale of Garcia has weakened us Ted?

i never did, i thought it would weaken us IF Fernando didn't get to the pace of the game in time for this weekend. He actually looked closer to it by the end than he did at the start too; got sharper rather than slower.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:39 pm

'the shield'
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:45 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:'the shield'

Having watched bits of the game again, I recon he got a non matchfit version of VK through it. He really covered up for Vinny on several crucial occasions on the ground & in the air.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:16 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:'the shield'

Having watched bits of the game again, I recon he got a non matchfit version of VK through it. He really covered up for Vinny on several crucial occasions on the ground & in the air.

Octopus you say? Today he was Tako Sunomono. Rubbery, vinegary, and every bite delicious.

I love this fucker. And i love that if i'm sitting in my kitchen pretty far away from the TV i mistake him for Vincent about every third time I see him. Tells you everything you need to know about where he was on the pitch today too. Some great tackles. Some fearless ones, that really could have gone tits up if he had less skill or pace.

Really top signing on the early look of him. Can't wait to see him gel with this group, because on just 3 weeks work he's got a definite future at our club. Something Garcia and Rodders couldn't do.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby phips » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:49 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:Genuine question for those who have seen him before. It seems from reviews and watching him today he is great at breaking up play and a hard man in the middle but does he offer much going forward at all? Say compared to someone like Fernandinho or is he more likely to sit like a Dejong?

it was interesting. when we both Fernandinho and Fernando were on the pitch together and we had possession Fernando was the more forward of the pair while Fernandinho stayed back
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby xavi6 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:53 am

I'd never seen him play before yesterday, for City or otherwise, so I was looking at him with fresh eyes and I was very impressed. Covered a lot of ground and put in some superb clean challenges to win possession back, exactly the sort of player we'll need for the tricky away games and against smaller sides who like to get stuck in.

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Zab

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:47 am

He looked like he was running on tar at times yesterday but he definately grew into the game and turned in a decent performance he is more squid than octopus at the moment but the signs are good.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum