Fernando

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Fernando

Postby Renato_CTID » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:04 am

Fernando? He showed yesterday at his 1st official City game how and why people call him O Polvo! Let's forget two good players like Nigel or Garcia. This lad looks better and better than both!
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:25 am

lets all have a disco wrote:He looked like he was running on tar at times yesterday but he definately grew into the game and turned in a decent performance he is more squid than octopus at the moment but the signs are good.

maybe.

viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:32 am

lets all have a disco wrote:He looked like he was running on tar at times yesterday but he definately grew into the game and turned in a decent performance he is more squid than octopus at the moment but the signs are good.

Certainly didn't look that way when he sped by Kompany on his way to making that goal saving challenge on Azoyes at the end or earlier in the half when he got the slightest of touches on the ball forcing Cabella ( I think ) to blaze over. Showed remarkable speed and agility in both them instances.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:37 am

Giant squids... fucked up! It's an abomination against the natural order of things. Stop existing.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:48 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:

Certainly didn't look that way when he sped by Kompany on his way to making that goal saving challenge on Azoyes at the end or earlier in the half when he got the slightest of touches on the ball forcing Cabella ( I think ) to blaze over. Showed remarkable speed and agility in both them instances.

Early in the game he was super slow but like i already said he grew into the game.

I'm not noshing his tentacles off just yet but the signs do look good for Mr Calamari.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby getdressedmctavish » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:05 pm

The thing to remember about holding mids is that they are usually slow....that's why they opt to play there. The key to the job is positioning and ability to win the ball or stop the game. Hamman, slower than a dead slug, was the master at this. Fernando has constantly been in the wrong position in the last two games. That's what needs to improve. He shouldn't be runnin backwards all the time. That said, that position at City is a nightmare for one reason.....Ya Ya.
He is a managers dilemma. His genius wins you games. But his languid approach is always likely to put you on the back foot. If he doesn't do the business. Pellers has to grasp the nettle. Not to beat Swansea and Hull. But if we are aiming to win the league and particularly the Chumps League, I predict this will become an issue.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:19 pm

getdressedmctavish wrote:The thing to remember about holding mids is that they are usually slow....that's why they opt to play there. The key to the job is positioning and ability to win the ball or stop the game. Hamman, slower than a dead slug, was the master at this. Fernando has constantly been in the wrong position in the last two games. That's what needs to improve. He shouldn't be runnin backwards all the time. That said, that position at City is a nightmare for one reason.....Ya Ya.
He is a managers dilemma. His genius wins you games. But his languid approach is always likely to put you on the back foot. If he doesn't do the business. Pellers has to grasp the nettle. Not to beat Swansea and Hull. But if we are aiming to win the league and particularly the Chumps League, I predict this will become an issue.

Barry was a master at positioning like few others. Clearly, the Count wants someone more athletic and Fernando fits that bill. I thought he had a very solid match yesterday, albeit against a team not competing for the title. How he does next Monday if he's in the squad will tell us a lot i think, but he needs to be given pretty much half a season to show us what he's worth. I love the look of him so far, and am a big fan of the Octopus's garden thus far.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Slim » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:16 am

getdressedmctavish wrote:The thing to remember about holding mids is that they are usually slow....that's why they opt to play there. The key to the job is positioning and ability to win the ball or stop the game. Hamman, slower than a dead slug, was the master at this. Fernando has constantly been in the wrong position in the last two games. That's what needs to improve. He shouldn't be runnin backwards all the time. That said, that position at City is a nightmare for one reason.....Ya Ya.

I think this is where ferdaninho will come in and see us play 3 in the middle. This does mean one less striker but Yaya can push up behind Sergio and doesn't have as much to do defensively.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby phips » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:35 am

did fairly well again today. nothing flashy but i don't think he did anything wrong. his positional sense is fantastic. maybe he just needs to get a little more up to the speed of the league but that'll come.

oddly enough, i don't think there's been a reason for Pellegrini to drop him but I think Fernandinho is a much more dynamic player.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby john@staustell » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:13 am

I think he's just the job, and having him on the pitch seems to make Fernandinho able to express himself more.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:06 am

If Fernando had been a defender, he would have been one of our best defenders last night.

The fact that he's a midfield player & still was one of our best defenders says a lot. Plus he is clearly not under instruction just to stay back there. He still comes out & plays. If we really wanted to be boring fucks, with him sat next to Fernandinho & Milner with Mangala behind, we would take some breaking down.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby twosips » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:27 am

Just me that thought in a crisis situation Fernando would actually do a very able and competent Kompany impression? He's nearly a clone of the fella!
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:36 am

twosips wrote:Just me that thought in a crisis situation Fernando would actually do a very able and competent Kompany impression? He's nearly a clone of the fella!

Watching games on youtube etc when we were first linked with him, I commented then that he looks like he could play centre back. Whether he can keep the required concentration for 90 mins I don't know, but he seems to win tackles & headers & cover very well.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:41 am

twosips wrote:Just me that thought in a crisis situation Fernando would actually do a very able and competent Kompany impression? He's nearly a clone of the fella!

commentators and camera men are frequently mixing them up....
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby twosips » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:49 am

Ted Hughes wrote:

Watching games on youtube etc when we were first linked with him, I commented then that he looks like he could play centre back. Whether he can keep the required concentration for 90 mins I don't know, but he seems to win tackles & headers & cover very well.

Oh yeah, i don't think he'd be at his level, but he'd defo do a good job against lesser teams. I can't imagine Dave Nugent giving him the runaround, put it that way.

Also worth mentioning that Kompany when he first moved (back, as thats where his original position was meant to be) to centre back for his he wasn't anywhere near the player he was for us now. Took a while to learn it. Fernando could too i think - not saying he should though as he's clearly a very effective midfielder and we don't require that, but i definitely think he has the tools if someone some day decided that.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby simon12 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:51 am

Thought he played well last night and how high can he jump???
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby PeterParker » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:52 am

The only bone i have to pick with him is that his offensive support will be very low, but that is how we is.

Great player, looks like he played for years here.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:53 am

Back in the day, rather than talking about the fucking obvious like Quasimodo & Carragher did over & over & fucking over again (Lovren isn't very good, stands in the wrong place & runs like his legs are made of treacle well 'duh' ), Jimmy Hill would have done a post match feature on Fernando as one of the key players in City's victory.

Not sure if it's lack of nous or purely because he plays for City, but back in the day, post match would have been all about Fernando (& Jovetic).

It would have been more informative for the public at large, & much more interesting, to show how Fernando did stuff Gerrard can't.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby blues2win » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:57 am

Late in the game Fernandinho made a fantastic surge to the byline. We really need Fernando and Fernandinho playing together. Still the Count likes his two up top. If Yaya goes to the ACON however we might see them play together. I still hope that Pellegrini bends a little and plays the three of them in central midfield at least in the tougher CL games and I would argue against Chelsea.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:59 am

It's lack of nous, Ted. The gradual dumbing-down of football knowledge in this country by hiring ex-players of certain clubs rather than people who can give genuine insight.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum