Fernando

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Fernando

Postby Renato_CTID » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:09 pm

Fernando? Oh Jave Gacia, where are you now?
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:26 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:Would he get in Chelseas team - nope; would he get in Barcelona's team - nope; would he get in Real's team - nope; would he get in Bayerns team - nope.

Slice it and dice it anywhere you want, he's a liability in possession and he doesn't do such a superior job in other facets of his game to compensate for it. Ted may rate him but Id wager he's in rather a small minority amongst City fans, the general watching football public and expert pundits themselves. We've seen more than a decent sample size now to affirm that he isn't good enough if we are to get where we want to go.

Really good players don't need a year to settle in, and its time City stopped settling for players at Fernando's level. Either shop for top class, or don't bother wasting more money on guys like this.

Personally, Id wish Ted was right and this guy suddenly became Claude Makelele mkII and no doubt we'd be reminded of it endlessly on here, but I trust my own eyes on this guy. Over the years Ive seen some real class, and plenty of 2nd class watching City, and this guy falls into the latter category. I don't give him any stick when he's playing for us, and never do to any City player as that wont help, but if you put a ribbon around a bucket of piss its still a bucket of piss. Fernando being in what is a good team does not make him a good enough player if we have serious ambitions to competing at the business end in Europe, and at the top of the Premier League.

In regards Makelele, do you believe he could play in City's system? Quality defensive mid but I think he'd be exposed in our set up, just as Fernando is.

I'm not in anyway saying Fernando is on Makelele's level before anyone calls me out, my point is a strictly defensive mid doesn't work in our system.

As for Ted's posts on the subject, I welcome them as they offer an alternative view to everyone just banging on about how shit he us.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Goaters 103 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:28 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Goaters 103 wrote:Would he get in Chelseas team - nope; would he get in Barcelona's team - nope; would he get in Real's team - nope; would he get in Bayerns team - nope.

Slice it and dice it anywhere you want, he's a liability in possession and he doesn't do such a superior job in other facets of his game to compensate for it. Ted may rate him but Id wager he's in rather a small minority amongst City fans, the general watching football public and expert pundits themselves. We've seen more than a decent sample size now to affirm that he isn't good enough if we are to get where we want to go.

Really good players don't need a year to settle in, and its time City stopped settling for players at Fernando's level. Either shop for top class, or don't bother wasting more money on guys like this.

Personally, Id wish Ted was right and this guy suddenly became Claude Makelele mkII and no doubt we'd be reminded of it endlessly on here, but I trust my own eyes on this guy. Over the years Ive seen some real class, and plenty of 2nd class watching City, and this guy falls into the latter category. I don't give him any stick when he's playing for us, and never do to any City player as that wont help, but if you put a ribbon around a bucket of piss its still a bucket of piss. Fernando being in what is a good team does not make him a good enough player if we have serious ambitions to competing at the business end in Europe, and at the top of the Premier League.

In regards Makelele, do you believe he could play in City's system? Quality defensive mid but I think he'd be exposed in our set up, just as Fernando is.

I'm not in anyway saying Fernando is on Makelele's level before anyone calls me out, my point is a strictly defensive mid doesn't work in our system.

As for Ted's posts on the subject, I welcome them as they offer an alternative view to everyone just banging on about how shit he us.

Do I think Makele "could play" in our system?

Given he seemed OK in Real Madrid's, Chelsea's and the French national team and won just about every major honour, Id say he would somehow muddle through and manage it.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:39 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:

Given he seemed OK in Real Madrid's, Chelsea's and the French national team and won just about every major honour, Id say he would somehow muddle through and manage it.

Yet he was slagged off when leaving Madrid for being a limited footballer.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:03 pm

you could say that about players that those squads have that wouldnt get into our team? Badstuber, Jese, Hernandez, Roberto, Vermaelen.

its a game of opinions. I think Fernando needs to come to terms with the prem league and grow. Also to learn the language as he speaks Nada!
We have to give newcomers time, if they come from other cultures and leagues, its alright pointing everything out but most players find it difficult. Remember how shit Tevez and Mascherano were when they arrived at West Ham!!? They started their prem careers awfully but went onto be magnificent.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Goaters 103 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:04 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:

Not quite the whole truth though that is it, given within a few months Madrid fans lamented letting him go as they realised he was the wing nut holding the fort together whilst all the Galacticos did their bit at the other end of the field. See quotes from Fernando Hierro here. Have some Spanish friends who are Real fans, and they still think he hasn't been replaced. See how Real's form and trophy winning spell suddenly ended when he went to Chelsea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Mak ... %A9l%C3%A9

Comparing Fernando to Makele is akin to likening Paul Dickov to Carlos Tevez in terms of what they can do on a football field, and what they have achieved but we digress.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:12 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:
Goaters 103 wrote:

Not quite the whole truth though that is it, given within a few months Madrid fans lamented letting him go as they realised he was the wing nut holding the fort together whilst all the Galacticos did their bit at the other end of the field. See quotes from Fernando Hierro here. Have some Spanish friends who are Real fans, and they still think he hasn't been replaced. See how Real's form and trophy winning spell suddenly ended when he went to Chelsea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Mak ... %A9l%C3%A9

Comparing Fernando to Makele is akin to likening Paul Dickov to Carlos Tevez in terms of what they can do on a football field, and what they have achieved but we digress.

Your last paragraph is exactly why I said in my initial post that i wasn't putting Fernando on the same level as him, yet you still.....I digress.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Slim » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:15 pm

Not all players are immediate successes in this league.

I have faith.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby phips » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:23 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

you could say that about players that those squads have that wouldnt get into our team? Badstuber, Jese, Hernandez, Roberto, Vermaelen.

do any of those play regularly for their clubs, let alone in big matches?
nope. but Fernando does.
Last edited by phips on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:23 pm

There was something on the pitch tonight, that wasn't right........Fernando.
It's as plain as day for you and me, and all to see........................Fernando.
Will he ever learn to pass the ball, I wouldn't bet.
Maybe next year he'll will turn out fine, part of our spine.............Fernando.

Not the song he was hoping for, I'm sure.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:31 pm

phips wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

do any of those play regularly for their clubs, let alone in big matches?
nope. but Fernando does.

I can guarantee they would if their first choice selection were not there. That's why it is a squad, I am not going to start looking at their appearances and shit, but I bet you I could justify what I say.

Exactly what point are you trying to say exactly? Can you categorically say NONE of those players play in big matches....? If I prove you wrong will you go forth and multiply?
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:50 pm

The players of Silva's class who will have had the perks of playing in Spain's MF must despair, On Tues 1st time lay off and all Fernando had to was knock it too Glichy, and we had the pitch opened up, He decided to spin turn and knock it between Zabba and Vinny and we were in touble that was 2 mins in, I honestly thought not only is that poor it was panic, Nasri who had switched sides blasted him as he ran back, maybe why he got hooked, I can't see how with the players we have a player with no touch or vision is expected to compliment them. You have to be able tune in and he is not.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:20 pm

Hazy2 wrote:The players of Silva's class who will have had the perks of playing in Spain's MF must despair, On Tues 1st time lay off and all Fernando had to was knock it too Glichy, and we had the pitch opened up, He decided to spin turn and knock it between Zabba and Vinny and we were in touble that was 2 mins in, I honestly thought not only is that poor it was panic, Nasri who had switched sides blasted him as he ran back, maybe why he got hooked, I can't see how with the players we have a player with no touch or vision is expected to compliment them. You have to be able tune in and he is not.

Nasri had a go eh? He's some fucking neck, I spotted him having a go at Zaba at one stage too. I wouldn't mind so much but Nasri hid for the hour he was on the pitch.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:28 pm

I may be missing something really obvious, but I don't see a single merit in having him on the pitch.

It's absolutely pointless having a ball winning midfielder who promptly gives it away.

In their times, Keane, Vieira, De Jong, Carrick etc, all playing the deep role had the highest number of passes, and the best pass completion statistics in the league.

I used to despair of De Jong's lack of ability to do anything more adventurous than a 5 yard sideways pass, and wanted something more incisive from a replacement. Garcia then Fernando are two massive backward steps whatever way some people want to dress it up
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Goaters 103 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:32 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:I may be missing something really obvious, but I don't see a single merit in having him on the pitch.

It's absolutely pointless having a ball winning midfielder who promptly gives it away.

In their times, Keane, Vieira, De Jong, Carrick etc, all playing the deep role had the highest number of passes, and the best pass completion statistics in the league.

I used to despair of De Jong's lack of ability to do anything more adventurous than a 5 yard sideways pass, and wanted something more incisive from a replacement. Garcia then Fernando are two massive backward steps whatever way some people want to dress it up

This. Nail on the head.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:38 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:I may be missing something really obvious, but I don't see a single merit in having him on the pitch.

Apart that one shocker that Hazy referred to he hardly gave it away at all, he had a 97%pass accuracy t'other night, granted this was just five yard passes to whoever was on hand.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby sheblue » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:12 pm

He will come good when he figures out what his legs and feet are for.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Original Dub » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:12 pm

MilnersJaw wrote:Another average player we bought for decent money. Meanwhile Chelsea bought cesc in the same window.

That's three times now you've tried to make out that we spent big on Fernando.

You do know he cost 12m, right?
Original Dub

Postby City64 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:33 pm

Fernando cost less than Javi Garcia and is a worse player , nuff said !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby zuricity » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:59 pm

Javi Garcia for me over Fernando and De Jong everytime.The lad is much better than both in my opinion.

Carl, he'd probably be better than Vinnie too at CB right now.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum