Joe Mercer 100 & Community Shield

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Joe Mercer 100 & Community Shield

Postby gary james » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:44 am

I'm sure a few of you already know this & I did mention it to some supporters in May, so apologies if this is old news but...

The weekend of the Community Shield match marks the 100th anniversary of Joe Mercer's birth. He was born on 9/8/14 and died on his 76th birthday in 1990. He was, of course, City's greatest manager (though hopefully not for much longer!), and what makes the CS match so special is that he was also a great Arsenal captain.

As we've had the anniversaries of many other clubs' former managers in the past, it feels right for us to remember Joe in the build up to that game and, for those at Wembley, it'd be great to remember him with perhaps a few renditions of Joe Mercer's Aces or, my favourite, "Joe Mercer Came...". May be a "there's only one Joe Mercer" would get the Arsenal fans joining in.

I've no doubt Arsenal fans will remember Joe on the day, but it'd be great if City fans could show everyone that we remember our own - and may be remind football that we do 'have history'.

I raised the anniversary in May with a few key people and I have since written a piece on Joe for the CS match prog. Other stuff may follow, but I thought I'd mention it now here as I believe supporters on this and other forums, recognise Joe's significance to City and football.

I'll be posting some images of Joe on my facebook and Twitter accounts between now and CS day. I'll be using the hashtag #Mercer100 and it'd be great if others can post their memories and images of Joe there (and here on the forum of course!).

Thanks
Latest book "Manchester The City Years" - the full story of the Blues from the 1860s through to QPR 2012

Find out more about my writing/books: http://www.facebook.com/GaryJames4
Twitter: @GaryJamesWriter
gary james
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: MCFC

Re: Joe Mercer 100 & Community Shield

Postby Bluedj » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:04 am

Great post Gary, I'll look forward to your reads
Bluedj
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: vincent kompany

Re: Joe Mercer 100 & Community Shield

Postby gary james » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:15 am

Thanks, but it'll also be nice if others could post stuff on twitter etc. Nice to get a City legend publicised instead of the usual stuff we get out there. Cheer
Latest book "Manchester The City Years" - the full story of the Blues from the 1860s through to QPR 2012

Find out more about my writing/books: http://www.facebook.com/GaryJames4
Twitter: @GaryJamesWriter
gary james
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: MCFC

Return to The Maine Football forum