***city v liverpool official match day thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***city v liverpool official match day thread***

Postby ruralblue » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:post match analysis all about liverpool????!!!!!

Yup we haven't been mentioned. All about there defending. Shocking!!!!!

Nothing about how good and clinical our goals were. No praise of Sergio nor Jovetic. Very poor.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby lovecity8utd » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:42 pm

ruralblue wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:post match analysis all about liverpool????!!!!!

Yup we haven't been mentioned. All about there defending. Shocking!!!!!

Nothing about how good and clinical our goals were. No praise of Sergio nor Jovetic. Very poor.

Now it's on to Chelsea. So obvious they hate us.
lovecity8utd
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: City's 11

Postby blues2win » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:44 pm

Some talk Dzeko may have a hamstring.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby twosips » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:03 pm

blues2win wrote:Some talk Dzeko may have a hamstring.

He's probably got two tbh!
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:04 pm

Routine victory.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:05 pm

blues2win wrote:Some talk Dzeko may have a hamstring.

bollox
it was an impact injury... he was fine to continue
the count used his knock to bring on kun a touch earlier than he was planning
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby chef » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:07 pm

Did carragher say Stevie d is quicker than silva !
chef
De Jong's Tackle

Postby razor400 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:17 pm

chef wrote:Did carragher say Stevie d is quicker than silva !
Yeah he did, the deluded cunt. Unless he means quicker at falling on his fucking arse or bottling big games.
[/border][/b]
[/color]
razor400
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Champions
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:28 pm

We started slowly in both halves but were by far the better team. Scouse lacking in front of goal. Sterling was main threat and set pieces. Pity we let that daft goal in.

I thought fourth place would be between them and rags but both look to have a lot of work to do at the moment.

Bloody Sergio, I'm losing my voice now after roaring for his goal.

Jojo looks handy and I think those goals will give him confidence to take his time more in other games.

Did you see the brilliant picture, it was on our big screens if not TV, of Brenda soaked through and a face like thunder?

Random observation: the dayglo pink advert on the new second tier boards was soooo bright and very distracting.

Tactical masterstroke to bring on Jesus to counter Lazar(us).
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:59 am

ruralblue wrote:Nice thing to see with Joe was he was throwing the ball out and getting it our from the back rather than lumping it up to go to opposition or put for a throw in.

I like Fernando already!!!!!

it was his throw that started the lightning fast move that got Kun's goal. I swear he's getting pummeled by goalie coaches every time he lumps it, which is what needs to happen to set him straight.

And yes, Fernando is fantastically octopilicious. Literally had a leg everywhere. Similar impact that Barry used to have but with twice the athleticism, pace and tackling ability. Says actually more about what Barry could accomplish with his brain i suppose than anything else, but....it's an interesting comparison.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:40 am

I thought that was a really class effort for this early in the season.

It was a very similar job to the Villa & West Ham games imo. Obviously, Liverpool have much more threat, but the idea was the same; no panic, no suicidal stuff, just nice calm dissection. Liverpool created almost nothing, but had done their usual 'all leg it about like fuck for half an hour' routine (will be 20 mins once Mario gets on) & given it their best shot. Then off we went.

Jovetic is startig to prove that he is an 'A' list player, not a squad player. Fernando did more defending than most of the defenders. We opened up a bit when we went in front & went more toe to toe, which worked a treat but gave them more chancce to score but their goal was a FOUL. And an obvious one. Not a shoulder charge; a FOUL.

Amongst the Liverpool obsessed bollocks, Ratboy showed how well our back 4 operated as a unit. Demi, imo, dropped a few bollocks, but he fits in that machine in a way Nastasic never has. That is my only concern re Mangala: if he doesn't get it, we will suddenly start shipping more goals.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby phips » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:37 am

loved that Aguero scored after 23 seconds.

if this match teaches the squad anything its that we need to be sharp and consistent. we were very sloppy and slow in the first half and Liverpool were running the midfield. then we "turned it on" and looked better. but once we brought in Fernandinho we switched off and got sloppy again and Liverpool almost made it VERY interesting in the last 6ish minutes
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby blues2win » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:00 am

Most commentators saying Edin's ok just a knock which is a relief. Fernando is an outstanding buy and has taken to premiership like a duck to water. Fantastic bench but how to keep everyone happy? September will mean more matches but everyone will want to play in the big matches. I guess Aguero will start on Saturday and maybe play 60 minutes but you can't drop Fernando. I'm guessing Mangala will be on the bench on Saturday and Fernandinho will too. The Count is very reluctant to go three in central midfield but we'll see what happens in the CL.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:17 am

Amongst the Liverpool obsessed bollocks, Ratboy showed how well our back 4 operated as a unit. Demi, imo, dropped a few bollocks, but he fits in that machine in a way Nastasic never has. That is my only concern re Mangala: if he doesn't get it, we will suddenly start shipping more goals.

What's your take on our defensive set up Ted? I feel there's a lot more individual errors now than say at the end of last season but at the same time, there's always someone else there to bail anyone else out (bar MDM for their goal yesterday). Kompany for example went astray a few times but there was always someone there to take his place, often Fernando but also Zabs, so it didn't matter and if it was something they'd trained for, it actually worked as Kompany on all occassions pushed the ball holding Liverpool player away from the defense. There also seems to be more Titus Bramble-esque defending, I.E. centre backs pushing even higher up individually, than last year. I mean it could all just be chaos and undisciplined defending, but it could also be how the Count wants us to play. What's your take?
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby mr_nool » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:38 am

Said by two Liverpool fans (taken from another forum):

Off Topic
City are gonna storm it this season, they are settled, strong and have only signed one or two decent players.

I think they are going to dominate for the next 5 years imho.

Off Topic
Playing against City right now is like playing against someone on a video game who knows all the easy way to score goals. I didn't think they looked that impressive a side, but then they did make scoring look easy. They'd do nothing, let us do all the work and then suddenly out of nothing score. They done exactly the same thing to Newcastle last week.

Can't really disagree with that. I think the fact that we have the same core with just a couple of really classy additions to strengthen the squad is really going to work to our advantage this season. Plus the Count has also had one whole season to learn the ins and outs of the Premier League.

The second quote is quite accurate two. We just rode storm and controlled the game, patient in the knowledge that we have players with such individual class that we can break down pretty much any defense sooner or later.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:45 am

Cocacolajojo wrote:

What's your take on our defensive set up Ted? I feel there's a lot more individual errors now than say at the end of last season but at the same time, there's always someone else there to bail anyone else out (bar MDM for their goal yesterday). Kompany for example went astray a few times but there was always someone there to take his place, often Fernando but also Zabs, so it didn't matter and if it was something they'd trained for, it actually worked as Kompany on all occassions pushed the ball holding Liverpool player away from the defense. There also seems to be more Titus Bramble-esque defending, I.E. centre backs pushing even higher up individually, than last year. I mean it could all just be chaos and undisciplined defending, but it could also be how the Count wants us to play. What's your take?

I think it's very encouragng because you have to compare it more to the start of last season, rather than the end. Last season we were getting turned over by Cardiff. Everyone has been away, some are barely match fit at all. I mean only last week, we were talking about whether it's right to risk Kompany & Demichelis or if we had to go with the dodgeball duo. Zabba another not 100%, Yaya looks like he's been sat in an armchair eating cake. We were playing vs the champions. Yet we conceded few chances first half. 2nd half they had to attack so we opened up went toe to toe & tore them a new arsehole.

First half, looking at it from side on; apart from a couple of dozy moments, whatever the back 4 did individually, they were quickly back in a line & any pass which was going to breach that, had to be perfect in timing & accuracy, plus the run had to be perfect. (Then you had to get past Fernando who fills the holes & is like a 2nd Vinny around the box.) There is a lot of talk about Liverpool 'dominating' the game but imo, they always made sure they had 8,9, players behind the ball, a man extra in midfield & hoped we would come out & get caught on the break. We pushed players forward (some of whom don't get back) but when Liverpool broke at pace, they kept hitting this line & couldn't get behind it. They barely created a sniff of a scoring chance. The obvious run into the centre that Sterling always makes, which catches everyone out, was covered every time. We didn't give away one central free kick in shooting range first half (another key Liverpool tactic) & only one 2nd half. For this early in the season; that is very impressive.

Individually, there were some careless moments (Demi looked a bit more like his 'old' self at times rather than his new self) but the system & Fernando, covered it. One time, Sterling got away from Clichy down the flank & Demi came flying in to cover, giving away a free kick. It was a good foul to make. But Mangala wouldn't be making that foul, he'd have the ball before Sterling got there.

That may be the next phase we will try to evolve; same thing but higher line, more pace to cover ? Managala has to learn the 'line' if it's to work though.

Liverpool don't have the inventiveness of a Hazard or Fabregas, & we may need a different tweak for that kind of player, but Liverpool are one of the teams who has caused us most problems defensively, with or without Suarez. First half, we had it all at arms length whilst still playing two upfront plus Cakey in midfield. Tactically we should have been at a disadvantage. But we stuck to our plan, & won.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby twosips » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:17 am

Laughed so much at this...

Couldn't make it up.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:12 am

mr_nool wrote:Said by two Liverpool fans (taken from another forum):

Off Topic
City are gonna storm it this season, they are settled, strong and have only signed one or two decent players.

I think they are going to dominate for the next 5 years imho.

Off Topic
Playing against City right now is like playing against someone on a video game who knows all the easy way to score goals. I didn't think they looked that impressive a side, but then they did make scoring look easy. They'd do nothing, let us do all the work and then suddenly out of nothing score. They done exactly the same thing to Newcastle last week.

Can't really disagree with that. I think the fact that we have the same core with just a couple of really classy additions to strengthen the squad is really going to work to our advantage this season. Plus the Count has also had one whole season to learn the ins and outs of the Premier League.

The second quote is quite accurate two. We just rode storm and controlled the game, patient in the knowledge that we have players with such individual class that we can break down pretty much any defense sooner or later.

That second quote is interesting. We do nothing and then score. If by nothing he means, for example last night, that we let Liverpool run around for 35 minutes tiring themselves out, then upped our own tempo and started passing it around just outside their box, seeing how mentally alert they could remain with tiring bodies, then when they make a slight mistake as a result one of our players takes advantage and scores a goal, then yes, we do nothing and score (out of nothing). We're immense.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby twosips » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:46 am

He meant it as a compliment i think in fairness to the guy... that we appear to do nothing, but we clearly fucking do. "I didn't think they looked that impressive a side" - which was a fair comment on the first 30 minutes. We were compact, patient but far from spectacular, and ya know what - thats probs what Brendan and the scouse players were thinking. That we're not that good and that we were there for the taking and then, being the fucking great side we are, we choose our moment and pick them off with class and composure.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Slim » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:07 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:I think it's very encouragng because you have to compare it more to the start of last season, rather than the end. Last season we were getting turned over by Cardiff. Everyone has been away, some are barely match fit at all. I mean only last week, we were talking about whether it's right to risk Kompany & Demichelis or if we had to go with the dodgeball duo. Zabba another not 100%, Yaya looks like he's been sat in an armchair eating cake. We were playing vs the champions. Yet we conceded few chances first half. 2nd half they had to attack so we opened up went toe to toe & tore them a new arsehole.

First half, looking at it from side on; apart from a couple of dozy moments, whatever the back 4 did individually, they were quickly back in a line & any pass which was going to breach that, had to be perfect in timing & accuracy, plus the run had to be perfect. (Then you had to get past Fernando who fills the holes & is like a 2nd Vinny around the box.) There is a lot of talk about Liverpool 'dominating' the game but imo, they always made sure they had 8,9, players behind the ball, a man extra in midfield & hoped we would come out & get caught on the break. We pushed players forward (some of whom don't get back) but when Liverpool broke at pace, they kept hitting this line & couldn't get behind it. They barely created a sniff of a scoring chance. The obvious run into the centre that Sterling always makes, which catches everyone out, was covered every time. We didn't give away one central free kick in shooting range first half (another key Liverpool tactic) & only one 2nd half. For this early in the season; that is very impressive.

Individually, there were some careless moments (Demi looked a bit more like his 'old' self at times rather than his new self) but the system & Fernando, covered it. One time, Sterling got away from Clichy down the flank & Demi came flying in to cover, giving away a free kick. It was a good foul to make. But Mangala wouldn't be making that foul, he'd have the ball before Sterling got there.

That may be the next phase we will try to evolve; same thing but higher line, more pace to cover ? Managala has to learn the 'line' if it's to work though.

Liverpool don't have the inventiveness of a Hazard or Fabregas, & we may need a different tweak for that kind of player, but Liverpool are one of the teams who has caused us most problems defensively, with or without Suarez. First half, we had it all at arms length whilst still playing two upfront plus Cakey in midfield. Tactically we should have been at a disadvantage. But we stuck to our plan, & won.

I think this is down to Pellers system coming to the fore. We have players low on fitness and coming back from a taxing summer, but they had faith in the system in place, the one we were still trying to get right last season due to Pellers just starting out, so a 3-2 to Cardiff becomes a 2-0 at Newcastle and 3-1 against Liverpool. For every time I saw MDM or Kompany make a dozy decision, I saw a half dozen examples of them pushing out as a unit, closing up and dropping into space. I think Fernando was bought for the very reason that we'd need a screen until everyone gets up to speed(also against top CL teams), after which he will be given licence to head further upfield as we saw Pellers likes defenders who take responsibility without having a safety net. (MDM@ Hull)

It was drilled and disciplines, nothing more than we could ask for at this stage.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum