our next soccerball game : stoke city at the etihad

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: our next soccerball game : stoke city at the etihad

Postby Slim » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:27 pm

Bianchi on Ice wrote:
Slim wrote:
Bianchi on Ice wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:Well you can partially thank the motherland for that one too.

"Foot ball" used to mean "games played on foot" in medieval England.
Then, in the early days of American football the forward pass wasnt legal so teams kicked/punted more than they do now. So feet were used alot more back then. Plus, when "american football" was in its infancy there weren't standardized rules and every college played it dfferently. Eventually they mimicked Australian rugby which is why the two are sorta similar now

In a nut shell

In a nut shell Nige you've done a piss poor job of insulting the yanks. Try again ;)

Except nothing he is saying it actually true.

Quite right. Nothing he is saying is actually true, and he is being quite calm and rational about it, but I've had a shit day and its not good enough. I want fireworks

Nip round to Mario's then.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:40 pm

Slim wrote:
Bianchi on Ice wrote:
Slim wrote:
Bianchi on Ice wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:Well you can partially thank the motherland for that one too.

Then, in the early days of American football the forward pass wasnt legal so teams kicked/punted more than they do now. So feet were used alot more back then. Plus, when "american football" was in its infancy there weren't standardized rules and every college played it dfferently. Eventually they mimicked Australian rugby which is why the two are sorta similar now

In a nut shell

In a nut shell Nige you've done a piss poor job of insulting the yanks. Try again ;)

Quite right. Nothing he is saying is actually true, and he is being quite calm and rational about it, but I've had a shit day and its not good enough. I want fireworks

Nip round to Mario's then.

haha
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Saul Goodman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:55 pm

Slim wrote:
Bianchi on Ice wrote:

In a nut shell

Except that it is
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Saul Goodman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:09 pm

"In 1863 a meeting was held in Cambridge where a ban was placed on "Hacking", "Tripping" and Blackheath's preference, "running with the ball in the hands towards the opposite goal after a fair catch".

A separate meeting was also held in the Freemasons' Tavern, Great Queen Street, London with eleven schools and clubs supporting the kicking and handling codes present. They drew up common rules by which they could play each other, however, after they had reached a compromise a number of the attendees recanted and ended up adopting the Cambridge rules (which precluded running with the ball). Blackheath subsequently withdrew from the football association as it was then called. Henceforth there was a split between Association football (soccer) and Rugby Football (rugby)."
Saul Goodman

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:10 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:
Slim wrote:
Bianchi on Ice wrote:

In a nut shell

Except that it is

With the one exception that....it isn't.

Wacko.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Saul Goodman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:15 pm

"The story begins, like many good stories do, in a pub. As early as the Middle Ages, Szymanski explains, the rough outlines of soccer—a game, a ball, feet—appear to have been present in England. But it wasn't until the sport became popular among aristocratic boys at schools like Eton and Rugby in the nineteenth century that these young men tried to standardize play. On a Monday evening in October 1863, the leaders of a dozen clubs met at the Freemasons' Tavern in London to establish "a definite code of rules for the regulation of the game.” They did just that, forming the Football Association. The most divisive issue was whether to permit "hacking," or kicking an opponent in the leg (the answer, ultimately, was 'no').

The Football Association
But that wasn't where the controversy ended. In 1871, another set of clubs met in London to codify a version of the game that involved more use of the hands—a variant most closely associated with the Rugby School.

"From this point onwards the two versions of football were distinguished by reference to their longer titles, Rugby Football and Association Football (named after the Football Association)," Szymanski writes. "The rugby football game was shortened to 'rugger,'" while "the association football game was, plausibly, shortened to 'soccer.'"

Both sports fragmented yet again as they spread around the world. The colloquialism "soccer" caught on in the United States in the first decade of the twentieth century, in part to distinguish the game from American football, a hybrid of Association Football and Rugby Football. (Countries that tend to use the word "soccer" nowadays—Australia, for example—usually have another sport called "football.")"
Saul Goodman

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:40 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:"The story begins, like many good stories do, in a pub. As early as the Middle Ages, Szymanski explains, the rough outlines of soccer—a game, a ball, feet—appear to have been present in England. But it wasn't until the sport became popular among aristocratic boys at schools like Eton and Rugby in the nineteenth century that these young men tried to standardize play. On a Monday evening in October 1863, the leaders of a dozen clubs met at the Freemasons' Tavern in London to establish "a definite code of rules for the regulation of the game.” They did just that, forming the Football Association. The most divisive issue was whether to permit "hacking," or kicking an opponent in the leg (the answer, ultimately, was 'no').

The Football Association
But that wasn't where the controversy ended. In 1871, another set of clubs met in London to codify a version of the game that involved more use of the hands—a variant most closely associated with the Rugby School.

"From this point onwards the two versions of football were distinguished by reference to their longer titles, Rugby Football and Association Football (named after the Football Association)," Szymanski writes. "The rugby football game was shortened to 'rugger,'" while "the association football game was, plausibly, shortened to 'soccer.'"

Both sports fragmented yet again as they spread around the world. The colloquialism "soccer" caught on in the United States in the first decade of the twentieth century, in part to distinguish the game from American football, a hybrid of Association Football and Rugby Football. (Countries that tend to use the word "soccer" nowadays—Australia, for example—usually have another sport called "football.")"

Dear Saul Wikipediac,

You aren't dealing with your 12 yr old nephew.

Fucking get with the program. Spazmoid.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Saul Goodman » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:50 am

thats not from wikipedia you fucking retard.

if you're gonna butt into other people's conversations at least have something meaningful to offer.

Cheers
Saul Goodman

Postby Slim » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:22 am

Saul Goodman wrote:thats not from wikipedia you fucking retard.

if you're gonna butt into other people's conversations at least have something meaningful to offer.

Cheers

I look forward to the moment you start having something meaningful to offer.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dameerto » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:56 am

You just posted a speculative opinion by someone on where 'soccer' comes from and are acting as though it's fact. Give it up.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Slim » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:23 am

Dameerto wrote:You just posted a speculative opinion by someone on where 'soccer' comes from and are acting as though it's fact. Give it up.

Probably from the bleacherreport, you know what bastions of knowledge they are.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Nigels Tackle » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:54 am

Watch on youtube.com
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby kinkylola » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:14 am

just let it go saul, there's no reasoning with them ... Island mentality and a huge chip on their shoulder when it comes to us, especially now that the national team is even more shit than ours. Let them have their footie, they're not very good at it anyway.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby AG7 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:45 am

*SIGH*

Is this supposed to be another 'Next' thread?
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Agueroooooo!

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:23 am

If 'hacking' is no longer allowed, how does one explain the stud marks & cuts on Dzeko's thigh Monday night, & the lack of any subsequent punishment ?.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby carolina-blue » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:34 am

Ted Hughes wrote:If 'hacking' is no longer allowed, how does one explain the stud marks & cuts on Dzeko's thigh Monday night, & the lack of any subsequent punishment ?.

I Think YaYa took care of the punishment :)
carolina-blue

Postby carolina-blue » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:34 am

Ted Hughes wrote:If 'hacking' is no longer allowed, how does one explain the stud marks & cuts on Dzeko's thigh Monday night, & the lack of any subsequent punishment ?.

I Think YaYa took care of the punishment :)
carolina-blue

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:53 am

Saul Goodman wrote:thats not from wikipedia you fucking retard.

Cheers

Hey genius,

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ball-Round-Gl ... 1594482969

Read a fucking book instead of just copying and pasting articles from The Atlantic. You'll get a lot more educated. And my apologies to Wikipedia. I didn't realize it was an article you read a month ago while following the WC, mister superfan.

And yes, it's a well-established fact that the word "soccer" is an English term created by the English. And your fucking point is what exactly? Plenty of colloquial terms that are in and out of fashion everywhere.

If you are going to spout off and quote articles and clip paragraphs and paragraphs from them without getting to the point and making something *your own* and having an opinion to share and have an actual conversation instead of the dross you usually type, then expect someone to gently punch you in the dick now and then big fella.

If i want 6 paragraph reads at least Ted is sharing an opinion when he gets his quill and ink out and writes a tome.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:05 am

You don't know whether I'm atome.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby twosips » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:21 pm

This will be my first game at the Etihad in over a year after being finally priced out of games last season. Got some tickets from a mate on the relative cheap in 110. Pretty psyched. Can't wait to see how much more 'modern football' our ground has become in the past year.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum