What does Yaya Toure actually do? - 2014/15 edition

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: What does Yaya Toure actually do? - 2014/15 edition

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:53 am

'Its a very odd and frustrating thing with Yaya, I couldn't believe the count left him on the field and I was screaming at the TV for him to be subbed. then up he pops and its game over. He has done it time and time again and I am glad he plays for us and not against us, however, he frustrates the living daylights out of me.

Some of the unforced errors in the first half were really poor. What is plain to see is that the defensive Yaya (first 60 mins until Pellegrini changes it) is not as good as the offensive yaya. Why the hell dont we just start with the offensive Yaya FFS. 4-2-3-1
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby mr_nool » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:59 am

Wonderwall wrote:'Its a very odd and frustrating thing with Yaya, I couldn't believe the count left him on the field and I was screaming at the TV for him to be subbed. then up he pops and its game over. He has done it time and time again and I am glad he plays for us and not against us, however, he frustrates the living daylights out of me.

Some of the unforced errors in the first half were really poor. What is plain to see is that the defensive Yaya (first 60 mins until Pellegrini changes it) is not as good as the offensive yaya. Why the hell dont we just start with the offensive Yaya FFS. 4-2-3-1

Because Yaya is the deep-lying play maker, through whom all our attacks start. No one in our squad can play remotely as well as him in that role.
He's always available for a pass from the central defenders and the fullbacks, and he won't get ruffled if he's put under pressure. He's a bit of a pressure release valve in our build-up play - you can always just give the ball to Yaya if you don't have a better option. If you push him farther up the pitch you will lose this aspect of the game.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:21 am

mr_nool wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:'Its a very odd and frustrating thing with Yaya, I couldn't believe the count left him on the field and I was screaming at the TV for him to be subbed. then up he pops and its game over. He has done it time and time again and I am glad he plays for us and not against us, however, he frustrates the living daylights out of me.

Because Yaya is the deep-lying play maker, through whom all our attacks start. No one in our squad can play remotely as well as him in that role.
He's always available for a pass from the central defenders and the fullbacks, and he won't get ruffled if he's put under pressure. He's a bit of a pressure release valve in our build-up play - you can always just give the ball to Yaya if you don't have a better option. If you push him farther up the pitch you will lose this aspect of the game.

Spot on.

It's funny but Mancini played with Yaya, Barry and De Jong in his first season here and had numerous critics for playing three defensive midfielders, now that accusation was of course bollox because Yaya is not a defensive midfielder but if we were to play the two Ferns and Yaya it effectively amounts to the same set up we had under Mancini in his early days with us.

Yaya is good further up the field when a game gets stretched otherwise he just gets in Silva's way. His best position is as mr_nool has pointed out the deep lying playmaker role, particularly when we're playing against opposition with ten men behind the ball. If we don't play a deep lying playmaker how else do we draw the opposition out?

This does cause issues when we get outnumbered in the centre because Yaya is not a ball-winner but this is supposed to be countered in Pellegrini's system by the two wider players tucking in to share the load in midfield. When Navas plays he is inclined to hug the sideline as he is an and out winger, this can leave us vulnerable centrally, that is why Milner is the best option we have for that role.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby blues2win » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:30 am

It's a fair point that the wide midfielders should tuck in when we're under pressure in the centre and as you say Navas just doesnt do that and neither does Silva for that matter. Pellegrini wants to see the two up front pressuring far more to get turn over ball. Dzeko's getting better at this but it's not his natural game and Aguero does it in fits and starts at best. Against the better teams we are left badly exposed because Yaya really can be pretty ineffectual in covering runs by midfielders and Fernandinho is left coping on his own. Vinny and MDM aren't the quickest and if they're suddenly left exposed we're in trouble.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:50 am

blues2win wrote:It's a fair point that the wide midfielders should tuck in when we're under pressure in the centre and as you say Navas just doesnt do that andneither does Silva for that matter. Pellegrini wants to see the two up front pressuring far more to get turn over ball. Dzeko's getting better at this but it's not his natural game and Aguero does it in fits and starts at best. Against the better teams we are left badly exposed because Yaya really can be pretty ineffectual in covering runs by midfielders and Fernandinho is left coping on his own. Vinny and MDM aren't the quickest and if they're suddenly left exposed we're in trouble.

That's something that bugs me but I guess allowances can be made for what he gives you going the other way. What annoys me though is that others don't get the same allowances.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:54 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
blues2win wrote:It's a fair point that the wide midfielders should tuck in when we're under pressure in the centre and as you say Navas just doesnt do that andneither does Silva for that matter. Pellegrini wants to see the two up front pressuring far more to get turn over ball. Dzeko's getting better at this but it's not his natural game and Aguero does it in fits and starts at best. Against the better teams we are left badly exposed because Yaya really can be pretty ineffectual in covering runs by midfielders and Fernandinho is left coping on his own. Vinny and MDM aren't the quickest and if they're suddenly left exposed we're in trouble.

That's something that bugs me but I guess allowances can be made for what he gives you going the other way. What annoys me though is that others don't get the same allowances.

Silva may have played some lovely football against Villa, however, I would love to know what Pellegrini said to him. I wonder if he was given licence to roam and play a free role? this is what he was doing, he was on the right as much as Milner, he was all over the place and I felt sorry for Kolarov as he had no cover for a lot of the game.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:58 am

blues2win wrote:It's a fair point that the wide midfielders should tuck in when we're under pressure in the centre and as you say Navas just doesnt do that and neither does Silva for that matter. Pellegrini wants to see the two up front pressuring far more to get turn over ball. Dzeko's getting better at this but it's not his natural game and Aguero does it in fits and starts at best. Against the better teams we are left badly exposed because Yaya really can be pretty ineffectual in covering runs by midfielders and Fernandinho is left coping on his own. Vinny and MDM aren't the quickest and if they're suddenly left exposed we're in trouble.

I think Fernando and Mangala were bought to cover the exposure in your last paragraph but for various reasons we haven't yet seen them together with VK and Fern1 for any extended period. With those 4 on the pitch Yaya could pretty much go where he wants, especially late in the game which is when his power bursts usually kill our opponents.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:00 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:

Silva may have played some lovely football against Villa, however, I would love to know what Pellegrini said to him. I wonder if he was given licence to roam and play a free role? this is what he was doing, he was on the right as much as Milner, he was all over the place and I felt sorry for Kolarov as he had no cover for a lot of the game.

I've often wondered the same thing myself WW. We are always vulnerable down that side of the pitch
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby blues2win » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:56 pm

Entirely agree about Fernando and Mangala. Love to see them playing together and we did look better when Fernando came on. No coincidence.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby blue 68 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:43 pm

Chatting to somebody who I know has close ties to the club this week and my main question regarded Ya Ya's future. Obviously we are not the only people to notice a distinct change in his attitude and besides the management some of his team mates are also unimpressed with his input. Words have been had and we are simply not frightened by the prospect of him exiting imminently.
IMO he certainly is a mixed up soul and can't even find the bread never mind knowing which side it should be buttered - silly boy, he earns enough money and should be looking for some substance and legendary status in the final years of his career, not looking over the fence at the green grass when he's already stood in the field.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
blue 68
De Jong's Tackle

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:43 am

blue 68 wrote:Chatting to somebody who I know has close ties to the club this week and my main question regarded Ya Ya's future. Obviously we are not the only people to notice a distinct change in his attitude and besides the management some of his team mates are also unimpressed with his input. Words have been had and we are simply not frightened by the prospect of him exiting imminently.
IMO he certainly is a mixed up soul and can't even find the bread never mind knowing which side it should be buttered - silly boy, he earns enough money and should be looking for some substance and legendary status in the final years of his career, not looking over the fence at the green grass when he's already stood in the field.

We missed out on millions by not selling him in the summer...huge gamble keeping him this season after all the shite that was thrown at the club by his camp.

Too late now though, we have to keep the peace and hope he starts to play the way we know he can play.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:24 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
blue 68 wrote:Chatting to somebody who I know has close ties to the club this week and my main question regarded Ya Ya's future. Obviously we are not the only people to notice a distinct change in his attitude and besides the management some of his team mates are also unimpressed with his input. Words have been had and we are simply not frightened by the prospect of him exiting imminently.

We missed out on millions by not selling him in the summer...huge gamble keeping him this season after all the shite that was thrown at the club by his camp.

Too late now though, we have to keep the peace and hope he starts to play the way we know he can play.

I'd say the last 120 mins of yaya has been almost a replica of the TYY of last season.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:41 pm

People say we missed out, but I am not aware of any offer being made for Yaya this summer.
Hutch's Shoulder

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:51 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:People say we missed out, but I am not aware of any offer being made for Yaya this summer.

We made it clear he wasn't for sale at any price....and PSG were interested.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:02 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:People say we missed out, but I am not aware of any offer being made for Yaya this summer.

Maybe, but i saw no firm evidence. A long way from losing a definite sale.
Hutch's Shoulder

Postby Crossie » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:53 pm

Fuck off you lame cunt!
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby PeterParker » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:03 pm

He really needs to fuck off.

I had never seen a player paid 12 mil per year be so lazy and not interested in the game.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:09 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

PSG wren't interested, as they have been fined by UEFA, same as us.

And Silva was worse than Yaya today, but gets off scott free because he's little. Same with Aguero.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby sheblue » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:19 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

PSG wren't interested, as they have been fined by UEFA, same as us.

And Silva was worse than Yaya today, but gets off scott free because he's little. Same with Aguero.

At least silva and aguero actually try to run more than once or twice!
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:34 pm

Yaya did more work than the pair put together.

Neither would get in Bayern's team on that showing, nor would Dzeko, who was doing a token job. If they all pulled their weight, like Muller, Robben, Ribery do (& Pozo, Ambrose etc did this morning) Yaya would have much less work to do & then people can point the finger. On a night like tonight, all the forwards should be putting in the kind of workrate Milner did, but they don't even do half of it. Only when they feel like it. And Kolarov is another.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum