Seven goals in a half a record? The answer....

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Seven goals in a half a record? The answer....

Postby gary james » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:46 pm

I was asked by quite a few people on Wednesday night & Thursday morning whether 7 goals in a half was a record. I spent some time on Thursday going through my stats, newspaper articles, books and my other records and compiled a few details which have now been posted as a blog by City here http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/20 ... mes-blog-6

Basically the answer is 'yes' it equalled a record but it also broke several other records. I reviewed every game of 7 City goals or more and now have a list of how many scored in the 1st or 2nd half. I've not posted all of that on the blog (it gets a bit tedious after a while saying 'this had 4 goals in 2nd half; this had 5') but the blog does include details of the occasions when 7 goals were scored in either half by the Blues. One game had a ratio of a City goal every 390 seconds from the 1st goal to the end of the match! The Scunthorpe game in 1963 referred to as the previous occasion when 7 were scored in the 2nd half saw a pitch invasion after the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th goal and then another at full time. Probably the only highlight of the pre-Mercer 1960s!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Latest book "Manchester The City Years" - the full story of the Blues from the 1860s through to QPR 2012

Find out more about my writing/books: http://www.facebook.com/GaryJames4
Twitter: @GaryJamesWriter
gary james
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: MCFC

Re: Seven goals in a half a record? The answer....

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:07 pm

Nice one, Gary.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:36 pm

We only managed one small bloke on the pitch on Wednesday, so we didn't beat that record.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby gary james » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:24 am

But he did get a selfie! ;-)
Latest book "Manchester The City Years" - the full story of the Blues from the 1860s through to QPR 2012

Find out more about my writing/books: http://www.facebook.com/GaryJames4
Twitter: @GaryJamesWriter
gary james
Robinho's Step Over

Postby getdressedmctavish » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:57 am

V Scunthorpe, I didn't go on the pitch, grammar school boys just don't, but I was there. Murray, Kevan and Matt Gray from the halfway line as I recall. Experiences like that, and the dross that went with it,are why I don't much listen to bollocks from kids, lol
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Return to The Maine Football forum