***city v roma official match thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***city v roma official match thread***

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:30 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:There is no similarity between the games v Stoke, Roma & Villa.

They are all different teams, in different cirumstances which require a different solution. Yaya being overrun was not the problem v Stoke.

He could have had 3 goals in that game.
NZonzi robbed him a lot of times. He did nothing with it lucklily When you say no similarity you are kidding right. Packed MF fast counter attack, Villa did it Anfield all be it hung on and got lucky to be fair, We have very little wrong I fully expect us to be fine, however when we get a team working hard and sort of lucky as Stoke were, a tweek here an there is what I would expect at this level of football. As I said we get 3 games at home in the CL and we have blown one with the Roma draw. TACTICS WERE WRONG FOR FAR TO LONG !

You are the one who's kidding if you think packing the midfield vs fucking Stoke would have been the answer!!

More likely sticking 6 up front would have been a better bet.

No Ted we are facing teams with 5 in MF, Break out and get lucky, Stoke was a weird one, but in the main this season at home we face sit back teams, who pretty much ride the luck which they did broke away Roma was plain daft wasting an hour on being out numbered. Scousers were wastefull if we dig deep enough, Hull away 1st 20 was fast and better players bullying a team who are less talented last 20 was how it should be team bolloxed and gaps appearing.

An extra man in midfield may have stopped Totti's goal, but it wouldn't have stopped the move where Maicon hit the bar. That requires people such as Silva to work harder.

Scousers were outplayed by a miles better team & could have lost by 5. Even Phil Thompson & Souness admit that, so let's not start changing history in order to fit a tactical argument. They stuck in the game for a half then we fucked them off, & it was a triumph for Pellegrini, not a stick to hit him with. We were the better team v Chelsea before Zabba got sent off, & were better again after he got sent off, so that's no game to criticise Pellegrini for either, his selection & substitution of Lampard was fucking genius which nobody other than tabloid wind up merchants believed would happen.

Against Stoke, we were lacking inspiration, & they were fucking brilliant; the best defensive side we have played; better than Roma or Chelsea. They won because Kolarov was shit defending a corner . Any Championship team with a quick forward could score that goal if a player let them run 60 yards.

In the Champions League, we could have set up differently & probably not lost either game. But we wouldn't have lost either game if the 11 players selected, actually turned up & passed the fucking ball to each other & ran about more. No guarantee we would have won either with more in midfield.

Pellegrini knows that & he's right. The problem is, the players keep performing like that, at half their capabilities, so they can't be trusted to play well, & he needs to take action because of it & maybe play an extra man in midfield. But then again, if Fernando is fit, perhaps he doesn't need to.

We didn't need an extra man in midfield to stop Totti's goal, all it took was for Navas to do his job and stick with his man. Watch the replay of the goal again and note Navas failing to track that chap with the Mohawk. When Keita brings the ball out Navas is within a yard of Mohawk, by the time he passes the ball he has lost 4 yards on him.

Our two wide players are supposed to tuck in when the opposition have the ball in the middle of the park, Navas repeatedly failed to do this against Roma, that's why he was hooked at ht.

In the second half we didn't get overrun as often and it's pretty obvious why.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:49 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:There is no similarity between the games v Stoke, Roma & Villa.

They are all different teams, in different cirumstances which require a different solution. Yaya being overrun was not the problem v Stoke.

He could have had 3 goals in that game.
NZonzi robbed him a lot of times. He did nothing with it lucklily When you say no similarity you are kidding right. Packed MF fast counter attack, Villa did it Anfield all be it hung on and got lucky to be fair, We have very little wrong I fully expect us to be fine, however when we get a team working hard and sort of lucky as Stoke were, a tweek here an there is what I would expect at this level of football. As I said we get 3 games at home in the CL and we have blown one with the Roma draw. TACTICS WERE WRONG FOR FAR TO LONG !

You are the one who's kidding if you think packing the midfield vs fucking Stoke would have been the answer!!

More likely sticking 6 up front would have been a better bet.

No Ted we are facing teams with 5 in MF, Break out and get lucky, Stoke was a weird one, but in the main this season at home we face sit back teams, who pretty much ride the luck which they did broke away Roma was plain daft wasting an hour on being out numbered. Scousers were wastefull if we dig deep enough, Hull away 1st 20 was fast and better players bullying a team who are less talented last 20 was how it should be team bolloxed and gaps appearing.

An extra man in midfield may have stopped Totti's goal, but it wouldn't have stopped the move where Maicon hit the bar. That requires people such as Silva to work harder.

Scousers were outplayed by a miles better team & could have lost by 5. Even Phil Thompson & Souness admit that, so let's not start changing history in order to fit a tactical argument. They stuck in the game for a half then we fucked them off, & it was a triumph for Pellegrini, not a stick to hit him with. We were the better team v Chelsea before Zabba got sent off, & were better again after he got sent off, so that's no game to criticise Pellegrini for either, his selection & substitution of Lampard was fucking genius which nobody other than tabloid wind up merchants believed would happen.

Against Stoke, we were lacking inspiration, & they were fucking brilliant; the best defensive side we have played; better than Roma or Chelsea. They won because Kolarov was shit defending a corner . Any Championship team with a quick forward could score that goal if a player let them run 60 yards.

In the Champions League, we could have set up differently & probably not lost either game. But we wouldn't have lost either game if the 11 players selected, actually turned up & passed the fucking ball to each other & ran about more. No guarantee we would have won either with more in midfield.

Pellegrini knows that & he's right. The problem is, the players keep performing like that, at half their capabilities, so they can't be trusted to play well, & he needs to take action because of it & maybe play an extra man in midfield. But then again, if Fernando is fit, perhaps he doesn't need to.

The point is in the CL we have been out played in pretty much every home game, MF overun Tactics have been odd under both managers Stoke was great defending from 25 mins in, previous to that we had chances to get the deck chairs out. I think we start slow in the champs top players get a rythym 1-1 at 60 mins was ftattering us, after that we could nick it. As for not performing Bayern changed the whole shape and got the massive 3 points.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby zuricity » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:00 pm

empty house in moscow.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Nigels Tackle » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:48 pm

zuricity wrote:empty house in moscow.

we're used to playing in front of fans disguised as plastic seats...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:20 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
zuricity wrote:empty house in moscow.

we're used to playing in front of fans disguised as plastic seats...

I'm not sure if that's a dig at the fans who are currently paying a fortune to attend games. Maybe we should take the Rag stance and force customers to buy tickets as part of the ST package?

In the meantime, let those who are maybe not able to afford games all these games, or have the time of to make it, choose which they can make. As has been said before, the CL is not a priority for most at the moment and the PL is where it is at.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby gilford » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:28 am

I'm probably being thick here but will the CSKA game still be on the telly :-(
gilford
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Kun Aguero

Postby Moonchesteri » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:41 am

gilford wrote:I'm probably being thick here but will the CSKA game still be on the telly :-(

I'm sure it will be. (CSKA-Bayern was also played behind closed doors but it was live on TV)
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby gilford » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:43 am

Phew, thank god!
gilford
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Kun Aguero

Postby blues2win » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:26 pm

I remember years ago playing Millwall away when the match was played in an empty ground. When we scored the City players took the piss rushing off to the empty away stand to celebrate.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Dameerto » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:40 pm

blues2win wrote:I remember years ago playing Millwall away when the match was played in an empty ground. When we scored the City players took the piss rushing off to the empty away stand to celebrate.

I hope the applauded the empty stand after the match too.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby blues2win » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:08 pm

They did. We won!
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:31 pm

gilford wrote:I'm probably being thick here but will the CSKA game still be on the telly :-(

Only if you close the door
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:35 pm

blues2win wrote:I remember years ago playing Millwall away when the match was played in an empty ground. When we scored the City players took the piss rushing off to the empty away stand to celebrate.

I think that was SWP's first goal for us.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:36 pm

Just watched Roma tonight they lost, good side who Imo will make our group very interesting, until the last game.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:04 pm

Hazy2 wrote:Just watched Roma tonight they lost, good side who Imo will make our group very interesting, until the last game.

Roma are a very good side, as proved this week, but I do think it was our slow play rather than their fast that made them look better than they were.

Who beat them by the way?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Moonchesteri » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:10 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:Just watched Roma tonight they lost, good side who Imo will make our group very interesting, until the last game.

Roma are a very good side, as proved this week, but I do think it was our slow play rather than their fast that made them look better than they were.

Juve. With one cracking goal & two penalties (one given away by no other than Maicon & the other after a Pogba dive)
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:25 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Juve. With one cracking goal & two penalties (one given away by no other than Maicon & the other after a Pogba dive)

Ahhh, a top of the table clash. Understandable really as Juve are now back to where they wanted to be, reaping in the fruits of all that CL money. Another one, like the Rags, who get the majority of decisions in their favour but I'm sure it wouldn't happen in this game?

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum